Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
MNF Debate 10:15 - Aug 21 with 2484 views08olesen

Did anyone see Neville and JC talking about the merits of Unai Emre changing his style to get wins on the table for Arsenal. GN was very much in the camp that you have to stick to a way of playing otherwise players are confused and lose respect for you, whereas JC was hinting more at adapting the play depending on the opposition.

I think is interesting debate which could easily happen with McClaren. He obviously wants to play out from the back but doesn't have the players to do it. Should he stick to his way or try an adapt to an unfamiliar style to try and fit the players we have.

I think the next few games will give us a good idea. Personally, i think he has to stay with what he knows and if its not good enough then its on Les and TF for hiring that type of manager with these players. That being said, i think bringing in Lumley and Hall (when fit) would really help him out.

I would take Neville here in heartbeat. I know it went wrong in Valencia, but the bloke should have managed in England first. He is obviously very knowledgeable about the game and i reckon he would get the best out of the likes of Kakay and BOS.

Poll: Who will the other play off

MNF Debate on 10:17 - Aug 21 with 2472 viewsdaveB

If you have unlimited money then you can come in and play the way you want like Pep does as if the players can't do it you buy new ones.

Everyone else you need to see what players you have and pick a style to get the best out of them. When Holloway first came in he tried similar with split centre halves from goal kicks and playing out from the back, we lost 6 out of 7 so he changed it to get more energy in the team which worked well for us. Going to need a similar change again to turn this around
MNF Debate on 10:20 - Aug 21 with 2455 viewsQPR_John

"Personally, i think he has to stay with what he knows'

The clue is in the name, a manager manages what he has at his disposal
MNF Debate on 10:48 - Aug 21 with 2361 viewskingo

What came across very strongly was that Neville had learned a big lesson in Spain and had taken it on for the future, whereas Carra was stuck in the mould of it worked at Liverpool so it must work everywhere.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

MNF Debate on 10:56 - Aug 21 with 2321 viewsTHEBUSH

MNF Debate on 10:17 - Aug 21 by daveB

If you have unlimited money then you can come in and play the way you want like Pep does as if the players can't do it you buy new ones.

Everyone else you need to see what players you have and pick a style to get the best out of them. When Holloway first came in he tried similar with split centre halves from goal kicks and playing out from the back, we lost 6 out of 7 so he changed it to get more energy in the team which worked well for us. Going to need a similar change again to turn this around

This for me, we must change our style of play, we are so wide open at the back, it's bordering on criminal.

McClarens been in the game long enough, to sort us out, if he can't see the obvious, he has to go
MNF Debate on 11:03 - Aug 21 with 2300 viewsterryb

I thought Neville made a lot of sense.

Especially as he emphasised that he would expect it to take three years for the players to get it right. This would be with phasing players in & out of the club over that time.

In the meantime, Arsenal would lose some matches but improve as they went along.

I would have thought it was nearly a nailed on bet that they would lose their first two games this season & criticism of them has been way over the top.

On a different subject, what a difference the Liverpool defence looked last night! A centre half who can defend properly & a goalkeeper who can pass the ball.
MNF Debate on 11:03 - Aug 21 with 2299 viewsMick_S

MNF Debate on 10:48 - Aug 21 by kingo

What came across very strongly was that Neville had learned a big lesson in Spain and had taken it on for the future, whereas Carra was stuck in the mould of it worked at Liverpool so it must work everywhere.

I thought it was heading to fisticuffs or at least an arm wrestle at one stage. Very entertaining.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

MNF Debate on 11:23 - Aug 21 with 2233 viewspaesanu

Last night's match was really entertaining, and credit to Palace for how they gave it a go. Their players were neat, organised and pacey. My last away game in London was at Selhurst Park in the last few years, what a turnaround.

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

MNF Debate on 11:31 - Aug 21 with 2210 viewsMedwayR

I think McLaren has to adapt. Not only do we not have the funds to get players that he wants, but even if we manage to get someone in on loan it's likely to only be a short-term measure.

For me McLaren has to do several things:

1) Realise that Lynch & Leistner aren't Moore & Beckenbaeur. Keep it simple, give Lynch & Leistner the sole objective of keeping clean sheets and that's it, if they have the ball give it to a midfielder. A well-drilled back four of Furlong-Leistner-Lynch-Bidwell should be solid enough in this division to keep clean sheets, and Ingram's confidence would grow as a result. Conceding few goals gives us half a chance in games and on it's own would almost be enough to keep us up.

2) Our strength last season was our midfield 3 of Freeman, Luongo & Scowen so let's get them back together, don't split them up by playing Freeman out wide, if it's not broken don't fix it.

3) Accept that our most reliable forward is Smith and work to his strengths, which means getting it wide and crossing into the box. Therefore have Wszolek and Osayi-Samuel out wide as proper wingers.

Doing the above would give us a clear system and the team would pick itself. On the downside it would limit game-time for Eze & Smyth but we can't sacrifice points just to develop youngsters, it's more likely to benefit the youngsters if they can come into a team that isn't struggling. Eze & Smyth would have to accept that this season they will be getting bits & pieces but they would come into the team next season when I expect Freeman will have been sold & maybe Wszolek won't be here either, same goes for Manning whose loan must be used to prepare him for a starting role next season when I expect Luongo may also have been sold.

Poll: Who’s better?

Login to get fewer ads

MNF Debate on 11:31 - Aug 21 with 2210 viewsNorthLondonR

When the hell did Carragher worm his way back on tv?

Firstly he's terrible and as someone else pointed out, all about Liverpool and secondly wasn't he caught on camera being an aggressive, stereotypical football type, spitting pit of his window (I forgot we can always blame Sterling for that somehow) and thirdly he's terrible.

Glad I cancelled my subscription. That'll show 'em
MNF Debate on 11:52 - Aug 21 with 2153 viewskensalriser

I'm musing over what kind of parallel universe Neville would leave a cushy pundit job to manage a basket case Championship club under a transfer embargo.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2018 11:54]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

MNF Debate on 12:05 - Aug 21 with 2119 viewsWestbourneR

There is style of play and there is asking Matt Ingram and Joel Lynch to be pivots for a possession based football game. By all means let's play pass and move but no one should be stupid enough to try that.

Besides the idea that this is McLaren's principles is TOTAL BS.

I defy you to show me an example of his teams at Middlesboro, Newcastle or Derby - when he arguably had much better players - where he had the GK and central defenders passing tapping backwards and forwards square to each other... THEY DIDN'T

He's just a being jonny come lately fraud following the vogue from Pep.

It's worth remembering that Pep dispensed with England's No1 and then spent circa £60mill on two keepers before he got his philosophy to work.

For a team with our players at our level - it's just dumb.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2018 12:10]

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024