Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
4th Feb 2015: QPR Appoint Les Ferdinand as Director of Football 11:16 - Aug 22 with 994 viewsSimonJames

Briefly putting aside the questions of whether IH should have been replaced or whether McClaren was the right choice to replace him (no)... I'm wondering whether the spotlight should mainly be on the DoF.

This is what TF said about the appointment (three and a half years ago):
"...clear mandate of assisting us in developing and evolving the footballing department, from the Academy to the First Team."
“This is a new strategy for us. Our recruitment policy at QPR is changing. The recent addition of RYAN MANNING to the Elite Development Squad is a sign of what we will be trying to do here."
“We want to develop a philosophy of buying young, hungry players, who can go on to forge decent careers with us.”
“I’ve had many messages from supporters, of all ages, who aren’t — for one reason or another — satisfied with what’s going on at QPR at the moment, but I can reassure all Rangers fans that we are putting the building blocks in place to move things in the right direction for the future."
“We’ve made a number of mistakes in the transfer market over the last few years and it’s something we want to change. We don’t want to be a buying club — we want to nurture young talent and build a young, ambitious team."

If you were doing his performance appraisal today (3½ years later) would you say he's been a success?
Do we yet have any recognisable (and consistent) system, playing style, hope, etc.

100% of people who drink water will die.

4th Feb 2015: QPR Appoint Les Ferdinand as Director of Football on 11:21 - Aug 22 with 952 viewsRangersw12

Yes it's partly been a success with the pathway to the first team and recruiting young players for the u23 and I would assume all teams below the first team play the same way

We've had 3/4 managers since his apppinent with all different ways of playing so difficult to establish a way of playing but we were getting back to an ethos of having to work hard at QPR which we had under JFH and especially under Olly but that's disappeared this season
4th Feb 2015: QPR Appoint Les Ferdinand as Director of Football on 11:24 - Aug 22 with 943 viewsBrianMcCarthy

A huge success. Him and Hoos have been the saving of our club financially.

Youth and U-23 games unrecognisable from the mess they were in for decades.
Scouting is much improved, unrecognisably so.
We are developing players again.
We are selling players again.
First team up until last May was doing very well considering the huge burden of the outside influence of FFP. Lat year was massively enjoyable for having an against-the-odds bunch of hard-working young professionals playing as a team.

This club is extremely well run and is quite rightly well respected again after more than twenty years of scorn.

The only question about Ferdinand's reign is how much say he has over managerial appointments, and I don't know the answer to that. And that is obviously in the spotlight for the last couple of weeks.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

4th Feb 2015: QPR Appoint Les Ferdinand as Director of Football on 11:27 - Aug 22 with 926 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Well I do recall many of us who questioned just the selection process on its own, being berated for doing so, before we even got into the really charged stuff about whether he was the man for the job.

Everything in that quote is correct and as far as I knew, what we were on the road toward doing. The problem however, is in that three and a half year period, he’s worked with at least six managers I can recall. Ironically two of them were let go for supposedly ‘upgrades’, were our most successful managers since the turn of the century.

Sort that little merry go round out and a chunk of our issues disappear overnight

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

4th Feb 2015: QPR Appoint Les Ferdinand as Director of Football on 11:28 - Aug 22 with 917 views2Thomas2Bowles

First team up until last May was doing very well considering the huge burden of the outside influence of FFP. Lat year was massively enjoyable for having an against-the-odds bunch of hard-working young professionals playing as a team.

Past tense

Today in the words of Paul Paker the player.
We have a manager who should never have been given the job, wrong sort and players who no longer give a shite.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

4th Feb 2015: QPR Appoint Les Ferdinand as Director of Football on 11:29 - Aug 22 with 912 viewsSimonJames

4th Feb 2015: QPR Appoint Les Ferdinand as Director of Football on 11:21 - Aug 22 by Rangersw12

Yes it's partly been a success with the pathway to the first team and recruiting young players for the u23 and I would assume all teams below the first team play the same way

We've had 3/4 managers since his apppinent with all different ways of playing so difficult to establish a way of playing but we were getting back to an ethos of having to work hard at QPR which we had under JFH and especially under Olly but that's disappeared this season

Do you not think that Les should have identified the way we should play and recruited managers and players accordingly?
...rather than having a repeat of Redcrapp's back three, where each new manager struggles to get the team to play the way they want because we don't have the right players.

4th Feb 2015: QPR Appoint Les Ferdinand as Director of Football on 11:29 - Aug 22 with 909 viewsA40Bosh

4th Feb 2015: QPR Appoint Les Ferdinand as Director of Football on 11:24 - Aug 22 by BrianMcCarthy

This club is extremely well run and is quite rightly well respected again after more than twenty years of scorn.

The only question about Ferdinand's reign is how much say he has over managerial appointments, and I don't know the answer to that. And that is obviously in the spotlight for the last couple of weeks.

Waaaay to sensible a response Brian Mc!
Agree with every word. People need to spend time to see beneath the surface of the 1st results on a Sat or Tues.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

4th Feb 2015: QPR Appoint Les Ferdinand as Director of Football on 11:43 - Aug 22 with 870 viewsRangersw12

4th Feb 2015: QPR Appoint Les Ferdinand as Director of Football on 11:29 - Aug 22 by SimonJames

Do you not think that Les should have identified the way we should play and recruited managers and players accordingly?
...rather than having a repeat of Redcrapp's back three, where each new manager struggles to get the team to play the way they want because we don't have the right players.

In an ideal world yes but unfortuently he doesn't seem have final say on managers.

Ferdinand didn't want Olly and I very much doubt he wanted McClaren which reeks of a Fernandes appointment
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 11:43]
4th Feb 2015: QPR Appoint Les Ferdinand as Director of Football on 11:47 - Aug 22 with 854 viewspaulparker

"This is what TF said"
there lies the problem , the man has said to much and done very little but make mistake after mistake after mistake ,
for the record I think Les has done well it doesn't help that said moron appoints a manger over his head not once but twice , we said 3 years ago that TF would interfere and balls things up
little has changed

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Login to get fewer ads

4th Feb 2015: QPR Appoint Les Ferdinand as Director of Football on 11:48 - Aug 22 with 850 viewsrobith

4th Feb 2015: QPR Appoint Les Ferdinand as Director of Football on 11:24 - Aug 22 by BrianMcCarthy

Thanks for saving me the time Brian. Agree with everything there
4th Feb 2015: QPR Appoint Les Ferdinand as Director of Football on 11:50 - Aug 22 with 835 views2Thomas2Bowles

4th Feb 2015: QPR Appoint Les Ferdinand as Director of Football on 11:43 - Aug 22 by Rangersw12

In an ideal world yes but unfortuently he doesn't seem have final say on managers.

Ferdinand didn't want Olly and I very much doubt he wanted McClaren which reeks of a Fernandes appointment

LF did not want NW coming back and got his way
Where is JFH now days?
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 11:55]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

4th Feb 2015: QPR Appoint Les Ferdinand as Director of Football on 11:57 - Aug 22 with 799 viewsSimonJames

4th Feb 2015: QPR Appoint Les Ferdinand as Director of Football on 11:43 - Aug 22 by Rangersw12

Agreed.
But surely in the job interview for a new manager he's going to have the opportunity to ask a question like:
"So [Jimmy|Ian|Steve], what system do you expect to play to get the most out of our current squad, and what additions do you think you will need?"
With his footballing knowledge he should be able to recommend to the board whether he thinks it's realistic.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024