Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mobile Phone Buying Advice 12:51 - Sep 6 with 4314 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

My Moto G is finally giving up the ghost after 3 years solid service. I’ve been with O2 for about 8 years, now on a rolling £18ish monthly contract and been very happy with their service, etc. Previously with Orange who I didn’t like so much.

Now looking for a new phone. I bought my last phone direct from Motorola and been happy with it. Does everything I need. Text/email/calls/light internet browsing/Whatsapp/good camera/good file storage. I’d definately consider another Motorola but they’ve since been bought out by Lenovo who I’ve not heard great things about.

Finding it all a bit mind boggling. I’m not interested in iPhones or other high-end premium ‘Flagship’ phones, something along the lines of what I have will be fine. i.e. reliable and will last me a few years. If I have to go the contract route I’d rather 24 months max with around 1-2gig data. No more than £30 a month but preferably less, as all these extra life costs are starting to eat into my beer budget (£35 absolute limit for the right deal). There’s no panic, my old phone still works but will need replacing soon.

Any recommendations?

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 13:06 - Sep 6 with 2972 viewsBlackCrowe

Based on what you said, would suggest the Huaweil P20 Lite probably around £250+ sim free.

Will do all you need and more with the added benefit of having camera that takes quality of pics of a high end iphone or samsung.

Huawei are killing Samsung at the moment in Europe.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 13:20 - Sep 6 with 2930 viewsTripper

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 13:06 - Sep 6 by BlackCrowe

Based on what you said, would suggest the Huaweil P20 Lite probably around £250+ sim free.

Will do all you need and more with the added benefit of having camera that takes quality of pics of a high end iphone or samsung.

Huawei are killing Samsung at the moment in Europe.

Agree with this. The P20 Lite is a cracking phone with an amazing camera for the money.
Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 13:26 - Sep 6 with 2909 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I may get one of these next upgrade I only look at the camera when buying a phone.

Samsung 8 Edge is awful I didn't realise the 'edge' was infact actually buttons I thought it was a decorative light feature. It's tried dialing people doing random shite and don't get me started on f'kin Bixby.

Nokia N5 now THAT was a phone I still have mine.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 13:29 - Sep 6 with 2901 viewsted_hendrix

Well due to the fact I'm retiring in a couple of weeks I've got to hand in my Company mobile so I purchased a sim free Huawei P Smart thingy and I'm paying £15 per Month.
The last person in the World to ask is me about bloody mobile phones because I hate the bastard things but as everyone keeps constantly reminding me "you've got to have a phone you daft sod"
This new phone was an absolute dream to set up, downloaded my music and transferred all the necessary stuff emails etcetera effortlessly, its got an excellent screen size and two (yes two camera lens's) why the fck I don't know, I haven't used the camera.

The battery life is excellent too.

The only thing I've got against the phone is for the life of me I don't know how to pronounce the word Huawei !!!

I think it might be Hughie.

I never answer the phone anyway.

Bloody things.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 13:36 - Sep 6 with 2883 viewsTripper

You can get the smart with 5000 minutes and 2GB of data on a 24 month deal for about £19 with Tesco Mobile. Tesco use the o2 network.
Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 13:37 - Sep 6 with 2881 viewsBlackCrowe

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 13:29 - Sep 6 by ted_hendrix

Well due to the fact I'm retiring in a couple of weeks I've got to hand in my Company mobile so I purchased a sim free Huawei P Smart thingy and I'm paying £15 per Month.
The last person in the World to ask is me about bloody mobile phones because I hate the bastard things but as everyone keeps constantly reminding me "you've got to have a phone you daft sod"
This new phone was an absolute dream to set up, downloaded my music and transferred all the necessary stuff emails etcetera effortlessly, its got an excellent screen size and two (yes two camera lens's) why the fck I don't know, I haven't used the camera.

The only thing I've got against the phone is for the life of me I don't know how to pronounce the word Huawei !!!

Bloody things.

Wah-way

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 13:47 - Sep 6 with 2853 viewsisawqpratwcity

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 13:37 - Sep 6 by BlackCrowe

Wah-way

[Post edited 6 Sep 2018 14:51]

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 14:07 - Sep 6 with 2811 viewskingsburyR

Bloody things.

Her-Waa-Wee

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Login to get fewer ads

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 14:09 - Sep 6 with 2807 viewsToast_R

You can sign up to the Samsung Upgrade Programme thingy and get a good deal on a new Samsung Note or S9. If you couple that with a Sim only deal it usually works out cheaper than a straight phone plus tarif deal.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2018 14:10]
Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 14:24 - Sep 6 with 2764 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 13:36 - Sep 6 by Tripper

You can get the smart with 5000 minutes and 2GB of data on a 24 month deal for about £19 with Tesco Mobile. Tesco use the o2 network.

Thanks that looks about right although I’m only getting it at just under £25 with those specs. I’ll have another look when I’ve got a bit more time. The P20 lite looks like a very good option mind. Thanks all for the advice.

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 14:32 - Sep 6 with 2751 viewsEastR

I’ve used a bog standard Moto for the past 3 years or so just for the basics — txt, Whatsapp, internet, calls etc. (have turned off google play, e mail sync, and don’t use any other apps). Does the job for someone not interested in bells and whistles so will be looking to replace it when it gives up with something similar up to a couple of hundred quid

I’ll also stay with giffgaff on a sim only, no contract, select the package (bundle) you want every month, and keep your existing number deal
Currently £10/month gets 4GB data, unlimited txts and unlimited calls. I put £10 into my account to cover anything outside of that before the end of last year and I still have £8.20 balance of it remaining.

They piggyback on the O2 network and I’ve only had a couple of service issues in the past 5 years.
Recommended

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 14:39 - Sep 6 with 2739 viewsSimonJames

There's some good deals on handsets on Amazon.
And sim only deals for EE (or Virgin which uses EE).

100% of people who drink water will die.

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 14:45 - Sep 6 with 2726 viewsTheChef

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 14:07 - Sep 6 by kingsburyR

Her-Waa-Wee

Geordie company innit?

Huawei tha lads!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 15:01 - Sep 6 with 2697 viewsCamberleyR

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 14:07 - Sep 6 by kingsburyR

Her-Waa-Wee

Isn't that Jonathan Ross pronouncing the capital of Zimbabwe?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 15:05 - Sep 6 with 2688 viewsted_hendrix

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 13:37 - Sep 6 by BlackCrowe

Wah-way

Just tried that and I sounded a bit like Alan Partidge.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 15:20 - Sep 6 with 2660 views2Thomas2Bowles

Moto G5 or G6
Tesco is ok been with them about 5 years
[Post edited 6 Sep 2018 15:23]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 17:46 - Sep 6 with 2502 viewsLblock

Sadly my iPhone 6 64GB is also coming to the end of it's life after almost three happy years - screen cracked, battery life pathetic and it's getting a bit clunky even though still 28GB empty.

I'm with GiffGaff and have found them, as a charlatan would say, fen-test-tick.
I used to need 20.00 a month bundle due to work emails but left that company so now could easily get by on a ten spot a month but never got round to changing. I now own the phone and have done for a while so unlimited calls, texts, unlimited internet use plus now basically using it as a music go to, control over lots in my house, a camera, a diary, a notepad and alarm clock all for 20 quid a month is great. Just a shame it's winding down!!!

I think I'll stay with iPhone - used to love the BB Curve but now I'm in balls deep with those swines at apple I can't see me moving on. I do think the iPhones are the mutts nuts so I'll probably buy an unlocked phone soon

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 18:07 - Sep 6 with 2470 viewsPunteR

Speaking of phones. Anyone know when LFW is going more mobile friendly ?. I still get a blue bar running the length of some threads making them unreadable.
Apart from that issue my Samsung A3 is really good. Gets knocked about a lot because if my work but keeps going. Im on some weird business contract with a company called Plan. I say weird as i never heard of them before. My mates all thought it was micky mouse company but £30 p/m with unlimited everything seemed ok and they've been fine. Its on the 02 network still. Anyone use this company..?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 19:33 - Sep 6 with 2393 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 15:20 - Sep 6 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Moto G5 or G6
Tesco is ok been with them about 5 years
[Post edited 6 Sep 2018 15:23]

Yes I haven't written off going for the same again. One of things that made the Moto G3 stand out was the integrated flip case you could get for it. It's been great. Starting to fall apart now though. Moto G5/6 doesn't seem to have them.

Also as I said before not a big fan of Lenovo. Seem to be a 'churn them out move onto the next thing' type of company. To hell with legacy products.

Plus I fancy a change ;)
[Post edited 8 Sep 2018 9:20]

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 20:02 - Sep 6 with 2341 viewsBlackCrowe

Incredible industry really - never seen anything like it where you can go from hero to zero in a couple of years through not/poor innovating.

Giants in early smartphone days:

Blackberry
Nokia
Sony
HTC
Motorola

Accounted for over c.70% of a few years ago, less than 5% share of sales today globally combined.

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 21:03 - Sep 6 with 2297 viewsYorkRanger

Bloody things.

Top post Ted
Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 22:06 - Sep 6 with 2246 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 18:07 - Sep 6 by PunteR

Speaking of phones. Anyone know when LFW is going more mobile friendly ?. I still get a blue bar running the length of some threads making them unreadable.
Apart from that issue my Samsung A3 is really good. Gets knocked about a lot because if my work but keeps going. Im on some weird business contract with a company called Plan. I say weird as i never heard of them before. My mates all thought it was micky mouse company but £30 p/m with unlimited everything seemed ok and they've been fine. Its on the 02 network still. Anyone use this company..?

The blue line is annoying but if you turn your phone on its side to landscape mode and drag down the screen a couple of times it gets used to it. And you can turn it the right way up after doing that.
Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 22:48 - Sep 6 with 2201 viewsthompsonridd

Moto G6 plus, fantastic phone and excellent camera. £250 ish
Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 22:59 - Sep 6 with 2189 viewskarl

Just got a Huawei P20pro. I'm on Vodafone and probably a poor deal paying approx £32 month contract for unlimited everything and 2GB, some dick in the Isle of Man costs me a fortune on texts since they won't get a phone capable of WhatsApp but I digress......
3 cameras(??) certainly produce a decent quality pic and main attraction was the 64GB memory so it lasts a good while hopefully. Only thing I've found a pain is the emails don't sync so well with pc as my windows phones did and that does cause a problem for keeping up to date with work emails as they don't update easily, also when read on pc don't show as read on phone and vice versa.
Transfer of all contacts, photos, video and files was fairly easy from Lumia windows phone and I'm not very tech minded so was pleased with that.
Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 23:14 - Sep 6 with 2171 viewsdistortR

Mobile Phone Buying Advice on 22:59 - Sep 6 by karl

Just got a Huawei P20pro. I'm on Vodafone and probably a poor deal paying approx £32 month contract for unlimited everything and 2GB, some dick in the Isle of Man costs me a fortune on texts since they won't get a phone capable of WhatsApp but I digress......
3 cameras(??) certainly produce a decent quality pic and main attraction was the 64GB memory so it lasts a good while hopefully. Only thing I've found a pain is the emails don't sync so well with pc as my windows phones did and that does cause a problem for keeping up to date with work emails as they don't update easily, also when read on pc don't show as read on phone and vice versa.
Transfer of all contacts, photos, video and files was fairly easy from Lumia windows phone and I'm not very tech minded so was pleased with that.

my phone isn't currently capable of receiving calls, let alone whatsapp.

anyway, general ludd tells me that what we gain through phone technology is not worth the cost to actual sociability, in terms of time spent glued to screens and the amount of hours i would have to be work to afford one that whatsapps, me being a manual low paid idiot. and don't even mention loss of attention span. It's all part of the big plan to dumb us down and distract us why they destroy the world so that they can have so much money they can't even 'kin spend it all.

lets talk, yah?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024