Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 18:52 - Sep 10 with 5252 views18StoneOfHoop

Reassuring Warning:
There are no upsetting pitchside bloodily sacrificed goat scenes in this post.

Learnt his trade 1988/89 Besiktas loan season 22 years old 24 apps 14 goals
Check his outstanding 2nd goal on 3:47: the lightening turn, the hard to tackle dribbling skills,the centre -half scaring pace and power we came to love so well at Loftus Road is all embryonically there!

His next game in W12 xmas 1989 was a brace in the 4-2 battering of the Scum:

My All-Time Hero, outrageously branded by IQ-lacking know-nothing lobotomised
twitter twot trolls 'Evil Tottenham Les' really should be made a
Free Man of the borough and given the keys to Hammersmith and Fulham IMHO
and Barandon Walk W11 - where he was brought up by his St Lucian single Mum -
in the Rotten Borough of Ken & C***sea
should be renamed Les Ferdinand Walk
and whatever happens in the next decade he should have a job for life at HQ.

HE CAN DO NO WRONG IN MY PARTISAN W11 EYES.

The DoF is doing a krap job is he? The LFW down under constant harping critic
Hooparoo I think - (have I the user name right? If not,apologies) - avers that vile
untrue scapegoat-searching calumny nonsense
in post after post since the disasterous shyte mainly McLaren enabled season start.
"OH DO FAR KOFF!" as Harry H Corbett might say
On average only 25% of buys of any manager/DoF are a success.
See Clive Whittingham's excellent revealing honest 2016 interview with our man.

[Post edited 10 Sep 2018 20:13]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 20:31 - Sep 10 with 5106 viewsTacticalR

My first thought about Ferdinand is always about his raw power, but in those videos you also see agility, skill and composure.

Air hostess clique

Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 20:49 - Sep 10 with 5071 viewssmegma

To think he could only make the subs bench for the Harrow Club
Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 21:11 - Sep 10 with 5041 views18StoneOfHoop

Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 20:49 - Sep 10 by smegma

To think he could only make the subs bench for the Harrow Club

I know your game chris smegma
Outright blatant 'Aren't I a knowledgable clever clogs?
Tickle my belly and give me a biscuit'
Oneupmanship merchant!
Always got to have the last know-it-all word,every time innit?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/oneupmanship/

[Post edited 10 Sep 2018 21:18]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 22:27 - Sep 10 with 4973 viewsCiderwithRsie

I'd completely forgotten Clive Wilson played for "them" in that match; no surprise he looks a cut above the rest of them in the highlights.
Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 00:39 - Sep 11 with 4902 viewstimcocking

He can do no wrong in my eyes too.
Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 08:05 - Sep 11 with 4822 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Great find!

I'll look forward to watching that later.

I was watching a youth game at LR way, way back whenever, and Macca and a young lad were stood In the tunnel chatting away to the few of us who were there as fans. The young lad was stood a bit off so one of our lot says quietly to Macca "who's that lad, Macca?".

"Him?", says Macca, smiling, and loud enough for the lad to hear, "he's the new Cyrille Regis".

And that was Les. He smiled shyly. Turned to be even better than Regis.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 09:27 - Sep 11 with 4758 viewskernowhoop

I remember going to see QPR v Liverpool with a friend who was a Liverpool fan. One QPR player was repeatedly worrying the Liverpool defenders.
'Who's he? He's good' said my friend.
'He's called Les Ferdinand' I replied. 'He could be really good if he was not so laid back' I added.
I think that it was Gerry Francis and Ray Wilkins that convinced Les that he could be 'really good'.
He was.
Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 09:50 - Sep 11 with 4742 viewsTacticalR

How Jim Gregory's plan to sell Les Ferdinand to BeÅŸiktaÅŸ got scuppered:

'On the day he was due to fly out to Turkey, the Club Chairman, Jim Gregory was at a health farm, and the manager was away with the team. I was therefore given the job of getting Les to sign the loan forms, and sending him of to Heathrow.

Les arrived at my office in the morning, and immediately informed me he had no intention of going to Turkey. I was surprised, and asked him why ? He said he was certain Rangers would turn the loan into a permanent transfer and he wanted to spend his playing career in England.

I gulped and went off to phone Jim Gregory that Les refused to go to Turkey. Mr .Gregory gave me a short order. "Get him on that plane." I went back to Les and found him adamant about staying at QPR. Time was running out - the plane was leaving in a few hours. What to do ? Eventually I found a solution. I told Les I was certain that QPR would not want to lose a player of his ability, and I was prepared to sign a letter guaranteeing that his loan to Besiktas would terminate in one year's time and, after that, he would return to Rangers! Les liked the idea; I prepared the letter for him; he gave me a big smile; and off he went to Turkey.

One year later, Les Ferdinand's fears were proved correct. He prepared to return to England but was immediately informed that his loan was being transferred into a permanent transfer for a fee of £100,000 (!) and he was to remain at Besiktas. Transfer papers were drawn up for him to sign, but Les stunned everybody by producing the letter I had given him the previous year. A Club Secretary's signature on such a document made it a cast-iron contract - so, Les came back to Rangers.'

Ron Phillips Inside Scoop re Ferdinand & Gregory
http://qprreport.proboards.com/thread/21988

Air hostess clique

Login to get fewer ads

Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 11:23 - Sep 11 with 4674 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 09:50 - Sep 11 by TacticalR

'On the day he was due to fly out to Turkey, the Club Chairman, Jim Gregory was at a health farm, and the manager was away with the team. I was therefore given the job of getting Les to sign the loan forms, and sending him of to Heathrow.

Les arrived at my office in the morning, and immediately informed me he had no intention of going to Turkey. I was surprised, and asked him why ? He said he was certain Rangers would turn the loan into a permanent transfer and he wanted to spend his playing career in England.

I gulped and went off to phone Jim Gregory that Les refused to go to Turkey. Mr .Gregory gave me a short order. "Get him on that plane." I went back to Les and found him adamant about staying at QPR. Time was running out - the plane was leaving in a few hours. What to do ? Eventually I found a solution. I told Les I was certain that QPR would not want to lose a player of his ability, and I was prepared to sign a letter guaranteeing that his loan to Besiktas would terminate in one year's time and, after that, he would return to Rangers! Les liked the idea; I prepared the letter for him; he gave me a big smile; and off he went to Turkey.

One year later, Les Ferdinand's fears were proved correct. He prepared to return to England but was immediately informed that his loan was being transferred into a permanent transfer for a fee of £100,000 (!) and he was to remain at Besiktas. Transfer papers were drawn up for him to sign, but Les stunned everybody by producing the letter I had given him the previous year. A Club Secretary's signature on such a document made it a cast-iron contract - so, Les came back to Rangers.'

Wow.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 15:13 - Sep 11 with 4558 viewsenfieldargh

Never knew that

We used to sit with a couple of guys who ran record labels with mickey most

I remember that Chelsea game and turned to them and said we had a player who would become our greatest ever striker, they both laughed at me. Hope you are still about Clive and John, I know they got a bit disillusioned with Rangers a few years later.

They used to bring along famous guests, once was mick jagger who turned up in a grey duffle coat wearing sunglasses and his hood up for a night game with Liverpool

I’d like to ask your average scum fan if chels ever played in red and white hoops, bet most wouldn’t have a clue

Clive Wilson was awesome

Sir les gets pathetically bad press, anyone who regards twitter as a reasonable medium should have their heads examined.

For me Stan Bowles, Rodney Marsh, Gerry Francis, les Ferdinand in that order

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 16:24 - Sep 11 with 4521 viewsQPR_John

Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 15:13 - Sep 11 by enfieldargh

Never knew that

I remember that Chelsea game and turned to them and said we had a player who would become our greatest ever striker, they both laughed at me. Hope you are still about Clive and John, I know they got a bit disillusioned with Rangers a few years later.

They used to bring along famous guests, once was mick jagger who turned up in a grey duffle coat wearing sunglasses and his hood up for a night game with Liverpool

I’d like to ask your average scum fan if chels ever played in red and white hoops, bet most wouldn’t have a clue

Clive Wilson was awesome

Sir les gets pathetically bad press, anyone who regards twitter as a reasonable medium should have their heads examined.

"For me Stan Bowles, Rodney Marsh, Gerry Francis, les Ferdinand in that order"

Hard to disagree with that
Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 16:28 - Sep 11 with 4517 viewspaulparker

Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 09:50 - Sep 11 by TacticalR

Typical QPR that

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 19:25 - Sep 11 with 4416 viewsGroveR

Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 09:27 - Sep 11 by kernowhoop

I remember going to see QPR v Liverpool with a friend who was a Liverpool fan. One QPR player was repeatedly worrying the Liverpool defenders.
'Who's he? He's good' said my friend.
'He's called Les Ferdinand' I replied. 'He could be really good if he was not so laid back' I added.
I think that it was Gerry Francis and Ray Wilkins that convinced Les that he could be 'really good'.
He was.

From the absolutely fantastic interview Ray Wilkins (God rest his soul) have to qprnet I'd say Ray had more than a passing influence on young Les.

"QPRnet.com: As an experienced pro were you always on hand to help out with the younger lads? Certainly Les Ferdinand is always very complimentary about your influence on his career.

RW: I think that’s what being an older pro is all about. Les was something slightly different in that you could see a potential that was so untapped it was embarrassing. This fella was so dynamic and he could leap like a salmon. A lot of lads were very supportive and when he missed chances it was always “unlucky Les, next time Les” but that has to stop at some stage and someone has to point out that it’s not unlucky it’s a bad miss. I think I might have been one of the first to tell him so. I don’t think he was too chuffed but from that time he took more care in what he did."

http://www.qprnet.com/index.php/interviews-2/int-players/53-interview-wilkins

You can't put a price on that kind of a player. As for Les, I'm from Lancaster Road and for me, he's W11's finest. Hearing QPR fans coating him makes me angry and sad in equal measure. More fùcking angry though.
Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 21:24 - Sep 11 with 4372 viewsWestbourneR

From what I’ve seen in videos and in person - Les Ferdinand is our greatest ever player to date.

If he hadn’t happened to be around at the same time as Shearer he’d be remembered as a great for England. Imperious in the air, silk on the floor, deft touch, lightning pace. The complete striker.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 01:47 - Sep 12 with 4304 viewsWren67

Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 15:13 - Sep 11 by enfieldargh

Never knew that

Clive Wilson was awesome

Mostly agree with that order but I'd put Les after Stan.
Really enjoyed watching a young Les again. As a committed old Rsss fan I am totally happy that Les is our DOF.

Here's a bit of one upmanship.

At the heart of Barandon Walk was a green area which Les often used as a young lad to play football. Sometimes he would ask me to kick long balls at him which he controlled expertly on his chest and played it back to me ad infinitum.
Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 09:24 - Sep 12 with 4228 viewsenfieldargh

Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 01:47 - Sep 12 by Wren67

Really enjoyed watching a young Les again. As a committed old Rsss fan I am totally happy that Les is our DOF.

At the heart of Barandon Walk was a green area which Les often used as a young lad to play football. Sometimes he would ask me to kick long balls at him which he controlled expertly on his chest and played it back to me ad infinitum.

Sounds a great experience, what are you doing 3pm Saturday?

captains fantastic

Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 14:48 - Sep 12 with 4147 viewsGroveR

Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 01:47 - Sep 12 by Wren67

Could you take Chelsea's Rob Green* with you and teach him how to kick long balls?

* this cracks me up every time I write it. I pray Courtois and Caballero injure themselves in a freak docking accident and they have to play him.
Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 18:30 - Sep 12 with 4072 viewsWren67

Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 09:24 - Sep 12 by enfieldargh

Sounds a great experience, what are you doing 3pm Saturday?

Not kicking any footballs. My current activities are much more sedate! I may watch a local football team whilst enjoying a good local strong rum mixed with coconut water then a dip in the warm calm waters of the Caribbean.
These pleasant activities wont last long coz my stay here ends on Sept 17 and I be back in time to see Rssss sail past Blackpool.
Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 18:32 - Sep 12 with 4070 viewsWren67

Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 14:48 - Sep 12 by GroveR

Could you take Chelsea's Rob Green* with you and teach him how to kick long balls?

* this cracks me up every time I write it. I pray Courtois and Caballero injure themselves in a freak docking accident and they have to play him.

"long" is a relative description and you can't teach old dogs new tricks
Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 06:32 - Sep 13 with 3911 viewsenfieldargh

Young Sir Les of Barandon Walk Lancaster West goes Turkey in 1988 on 18:30 - Sep 12 by Wren67

Not kicking any footballs. My current activities are much more sedate! I may watch a local football team whilst enjoying a good local strong rum mixed with coconut water then a dip in the warm calm waters of the Caribbean.
These pleasant activities wont last long coz my stay here ends on Sept 17 and I be back in time to see Rssss sail past Blackpool.

Always wanted to believe that Bob Marley was a rangers fan but sadly I think his choice was Santos cos of Pele

Now that’s a wonderful life, Bob Marley, reggae rock, white rum, sandy beaches in the Caribbean and Qpr on rewind.

In a bar in Bangkok last night they showed Clive Allen’s brace at Upton Park in the 2-2draw way back when.

captains fantastic

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024