Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who'd be a ref? He's one of our own... 12:32 - Oct 13 with 8757 viewsHadders

A fascinating, well-researched and beautifully written article in today's Guardian, by one of our own, Michael Hann. Well done Hanny my son! As an aside, as he suggests at the end, our supporters are surely as guilty as any: being an empathetic and fair-minded sort of chap, I often feel for refs and linos at Loftus Road. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/13/football-ref-hostile-players-ir
[Post edited 13 Oct 2018 21:32]
Who'd Be a Ref? on 14:43 - Oct 13 with 7332 viewsEsox_Lucius

Most times they are their own worst enemy due to inconsistency... throughout the leagues.

The grass is always greener.

Who'd Be a Ref? on 14:51 - Oct 13 with 7323 viewsHadders

The stats Hann quotes about the accuracy of decisions at the higher levels suggest they are way more consistent than anyone else on the pitch. And nothing excuses the abuse they get. Only corruption might justify it, and that is so rare in this country as to be unworthy of mention; in fact, most of the abuse is due to them being the only impartial people for miles around.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2018 14:51]
Who'd Be a Ref? on 15:02 - Oct 13 with 7308 viewsEsox_Lucius

Who'd Be a Ref? on 14:51 - Oct 13 by Hadders

The stats Hann quotes about the accuracy of decisions at the higher levels suggest they are way more consistent than anyone else on the pitch. And nothing excuses the abuse they get. Only corruption might justify it, and that is so rare in this country as to be unworthy of mention; in fact, most of the abuse is due to them being the only impartial people for miles around.

"Yes, we’ll get things wrong, and some officials might be incompetent,..." and that is why you'll never stop fans from abusing refs. Anyone who ever saw Gurnam Singh reffing a game will never forget how awful he truly was. Niggling little trifles like Smith being wrestled to the ground time after time without any official blowing up is the sort of things that rile QPR fans and I am sure that every fan of any other club will be able to quote similar instances. Not clamping down on time wasting is another reason they get abused, and rightly so IMO, the laws are there to prevent it, so use them!

Who'd Be a Ref? on 15:07 - Oct 13 with 7306 viewscolinallcars

I often leave the ground railing against the ref, but in the cold light of day realise just how hard it is for them. The level of cheating amongst the players makes the refs' job only harder.

I'd like to see them clamp down on time wasting, and ungentlemanly conduct including ref-baiting. The trouble is, they would need to start sending players off as a last resort. They would then be accused of “ruining the game as a spectacle” It might take a long time for the players to fall into line.

The trouble is, also, that the managers condone the cheating and so do a lot of fans as long as it's their team that are doing it.
Who'd Be a Ref? on 15:11 - Oct 13 with 7296 viewsHadders

Of course they make mistakes, but surely it's the players and managers who are most at fault for that kind of crap. If you've just read that article and still think refs deserve abuse mate, fine. I assume you don't justify the threats of and actual violence he mentions.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2018 15:12]
Who'd Be a Ref? on 15:28 - Oct 13 with 7274 viewsEsox_Lucius

You assume correctly. ALL rational people will stop short of that behaviour. Officials just need to be aware that there will be some drug addled psychotics at games and up their game to prevent that sort of thing occurring.

Who'd Be a Ref? on 15:38 - Oct 13 with 7271 viewscolinallcars

Who'd Be a Ref? on 15:28 - Oct 13 by Esox_Lucius

You assume correctly. ALL rational people will stop short of that behaviour. Officials just need to be aware that there will be some drug addled psychotics at games and up their game to prevent that sort of thing occurring.

Drug addled psychotics ? at Queen's Park Rangers ? Our crowd is composed entirely of sober, gentlemanly, erudite and civilised exemplars !
Who'd Be a Ref? on 16:00 - Oct 13 with 7252 viewsDavieQPR

For some Refs it's the old thing about little men doing it purely for the power it gives them.
Login to get fewer ads

Who'd Be a Ref? on 16:12 - Oct 13 with 7244 viewsEsox_Lucius

Who'd Be a Ref? on 15:38 - Oct 13 by colinallcars

Drug addled psychotics ? at Queen's Park Rangers ? Our crowd is composed entirely of sober, gentlemanly, erudite and civilised exemplars !

You've never been in R block then?

Who'd Be a Ref? on 18:08 - Oct 13 with 7194 viewssmegma

Who'd be a ref? I was at the FA Vase game at North Greenford United ground between St Panteleimon and Cray Valley PM. 10 minutes into extra time the game was abandoned with the Saints keeper unconscious in the goalmouth . Cray Valley fans were moaning 'surely there should be a replay at our ground as the game is almost over?'. This was after the ref explained the FA will decide as to what happens next? I told them they were a bunch of C U Next Tuesdays as not one of them had considered the condition of the keeper. The game was 1-1 at the time
Who'd be a ref? He's one of our own... on 15:32 - Oct 14 with 6862 viewsderbyhoop

Football - a game played by 22 players and refereed by 22,000. Who can all do the job better than the appointed official.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Who'd be a ref? He's one of our own... on 16:39 - Oct 14 with 6818 viewsloftboy

Did it for the best part of 20 years, had a bottle thrown at me, sat in a dressing room with my foot against the door stopping the players from getting in, an attempted head butt. But overall did some fantastic games, especially in the Chiswick league LBlock will have a good story from one of my games reffing Acton and Ealing Whistlers.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Who'd Be a Ref? on 17:09 - Oct 15 with 6458 viewsPinnerPaul

Who'd Be a Ref? on 14:51 - Oct 13 by Hadders

Yep, spot on!

I was on Ladies (Level 4) match the other night and (losing) manager comes in dressing room afterwards (He DID ask first!) and says he felt 'most of the 50/50s went against us'

Now his team were from Herts, oppo was a London team and ref came from Essex.

Clearly ref, me and the other AR couldn't give a t*** who won the game - what are you supposed to say to that?!
Who'd be a ref? He's one of our own... on 17:11 - Oct 15 with 6454 viewshopphoops

Like Middle East negotiations, if all Parties feel hard done by and blame you, you might just have got it right.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Who'd be a ref? He's one of our own... on 19:14 - Oct 15 with 6354 viewsOutWestR

I’ve had to do linesman duties for one of my kids in an under 11s match on a few occasions. Truly horrific experience. Like in the article, just keeping up with play was hard enough and then the comments from the parents to top it off. Fair play to anyone that does that at any level.
Who'd be a ref? He's one of our own... on 17:36 - Oct 16 with 6195 viewsPinnerPaul

Who'd be a ref? He's one of our own... on 19:14 - Oct 15 by OutWestR

I’ve had to do linesman duties for one of my kids in an under 11s match on a few occasions. Truly horrific experience. Like in the article, just keeping up with play was hard enough and then the comments from the parents to top it off. Fair play to anyone that does that at any level.

I mostly AR and it isn't easy to do properly.

Ball close to your own line is the hardest part as article says - trying to watch 3 things at once isn't easy!
Who'd be a ref? He's one of our own... on 17:41 - Oct 16 with 6188 viewsextratimeR

Rob Styles
Who'd be a ref? He's one of our own... on 22:13 - Oct 16 with 6137 viewsHamptonR

I have "Run the line" on many occasions.
The better refs tell you before the game what to give, which is normally throws and offside, they handle all the fouls and dives etc.
The players are not told this beforehand so when they scream for a penalty they are generally screaming at me because I am close by, but my opinion doesn't count, its up to the ref.
I have been called a cheat by youth and senior players but my all time favourite encounter was with a supporter who was an elderly gentleman.
It was during an U18 game and one of the players was standing in an offside position, the elderly gent shouted to him,
"Kell, Kell, you're offside" Kell wasn't listening.
Once again, "Kell, Kell, move onside you're off".
A few seconds later the ball was played through to Kell who was still offside and I duly put my flag up.
The elderly gentleman then screamed
"For Fecks Sake Lino he's onside, you fecking cheat"
Who'd be a ref? He's one of our own... on 08:14 - Oct 17 with 6093 viewsdaveB

great article that, I had to ref one my sons games a year or so ago as we had no ref, this was an under 9's match and was bloody terrifying, I'd never volunteer again I got so much wrong it was embarrassing,
Who'd be a ref? He's one of our own... on 12:58 - Oct 17 with 6021 viewsPinnerPaul

From 'Ref Chat' - something else to mull over

Saw this and thought this is probably a fair assessment.

Copied and pasted, so not my own writing.

I read something recently, and wish I kept the link, that a match was analysed (apparently watched several times for accuracy) and a referee made approximately 400 decisions (that is whether to give a foul or not to give a foul, to caution/send off or not to card at all, how to restart play with direction of throw in, corner or goal kick etc)

He got about 5 wrong, in the opinion of the viewer.
But the media jumped on 2 of those 5 wrong. 1 was a penalty that should have been awarded. It seems the referees angle was not better than a tv angle.

Apparently a keeper made about 100 judgements in that game (and they included whether he should have come out for the ball or stayed in his area, releasing ball slowly or quickly, over hitting/throwing a ball released, fouling (that penalty not given) and whether the keeper should have caught or punched/palm the ball away).The viewer said the keeper made about 40 wrong decisions. But they were never picked up on by the media, despite one that should have been a penalty, and one goal being scored because of a poor clearance by the keeper.

The referee was ridiculed for not giving a penalty but the keeper was not talked about for his clumsiness to commit the foul in the first place. The referee made about 1.25% decisions wrong. The keeper made 40% decisions wrong.

Again this is just the view of the person who analysed it.

But the referee hit the media and not the keeper (player).

Players make much more wrong decisions in the heat of the moment than a referee does
Who'd be a ref? He's one of our own... on 15:07 - Oct 17 with 5988 viewsderbyhoop

Who'd be a ref? He's one of our own... on 12:58 - Oct 17 by PinnerPaul

From 'Ref Chat' - something else to mull over

Saw this and thought this is probably a fair assessment.

Copied and pasted, so not my own writing.

I read something recently, and wish I kept the link, that a match was analysed (apparently watched several times for accuracy) and a referee made approximately 400 decisions (that is whether to give a foul or not to give a foul, to caution/send off or not to card at all, how to restart play with direction of throw in, corner or goal kick etc)

He got about 5 wrong, in the opinion of the viewer.
But the media jumped on 2 of those 5 wrong. 1 was a penalty that should have been awarded. It seems the referees angle was not better than a tv angle.

Apparently a keeper made about 100 judgements in that game (and they included whether he should have come out for the ball or stayed in his area, releasing ball slowly or quickly, over hitting/throwing a ball released, fouling (that penalty not given) and whether the keeper should have caught or punched/palm the ball away).The viewer said the keeper made about 40 wrong decisions. But they were never picked up on by the media, despite one that should have been a penalty, and one goal being scored because of a poor clearance by the keeper.

The referee was ridiculed for not giving a penalty but the keeper was not talked about for his clumsiness to commit the foul in the first place. The referee made about 1.25% decisions wrong. The keeper made 40% decisions wrong.

Again this is just the view of the person who analysed it.

But the referee hit the media and not the keeper (player).

Players make much more wrong decisions in the heat of the moment than a referee does

Good analysis.
Perhaps us fans ought to cut the officials a bit more slack than we do.
When a team is playing well, the refs rarely get things wrong, but, according to the fans, the ref is always to blame when the team doesn't play well.

I'd still like to see more done to stop the wrestling matches that go on at every set piece in the professional game. And very few refs seem to clamp down on the time-wasting.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Who'd be a ref? He's one of our own... on 15:39 - Oct 17 with 5977 viewsPinnerPaul

Who'd be a ref? He's one of our own... on 15:07 - Oct 17 by derbyhoop

Good analysis.
Perhaps us fans ought to cut the officials a bit more slack than we do.
When a team is playing well, the refs rarely get things wrong, but, according to the fans, the ref is always to blame when the team doesn't play well.

I'd still like to see more done to stop the wrestling matches that go on at every set piece in the professional game. And very few refs seem to clamp down on the time-wasting.

On your last point - I agree - that's an easy one for the ref I think - so I'm always screaming about it at LR.

That's from a referee's perspective of course - fans, understandably, see things differently.

I don't think there are many offsides - for and against 'us' that I haven't seen shouted about at LR.

Reason for that of course is that, as you would expect, us fans are following the ball. As article says - judging offsides is so much more complicated than that!
Who'd be a ref? He's one of our own... on 15:43 - Oct 17 with 5970 viewsPinnerPaul

Who'd be a ref? He's one of our own... on 08:14 - Oct 17 by daveB

great article that, I had to ref one my sons games a year or so ago as we had no ref, this was an under 9's match and was bloody terrifying, I'd never volunteer again I got so much wrong it was embarrassing,

I would do the course if I were you Dave.

Don't be hard on yourself, on my course - filled with football 'nuts' as you would expect - every session contained something about the laws that many of us couldn't believe!

Seriously, although I'm bigging it up for us refs, you would do a much better job and know more than everyone there if you did the course.

Although I warn you - that's how I started - reffing my son's games when no one else would- and now 16 years after qualifying I'm still doing it!

Tend not to do much 'grassroots' youth football now though!
Who'd be a ref? He's one of our own... on 20:30 - Oct 17 with 5909 viewsdaveB

Who'd be a ref? He's one of our own... on 15:43 - Oct 17 by PinnerPaul

I would do the course if I were you Dave.

Don't be hard on yourself, on my course - filled with football 'nuts' as you would expect - every session contained something about the laws that many of us couldn't believe!

Seriously, although I'm bigging it up for us refs, you would do a much better job and know more than everyone there if you did the course.

Although I warn you - that's how I started - reffing my son's games when no one else would- and now 16 years after qualifying I'm still doing it!

Tend not to do much 'grassroots' youth football now though!

The bit I got stuck on was the different rules in kids football such as opposition in the other half at a goal kick and not being able to kick out from hands, i ignored it every time and had both managers going mad at me. Hardest bit was getting in the right position to see everything. They've not asked me to do it again since
Who'd be a ref? He's one of our own... on 09:54 - Oct 18 with 5840 viewsDorse

'Ref Chat'?

Call Ref Chat NOW for LIVE chat with real refs just aching for your call!
'That Was Never A Yellow' 0898 4651641
'Definitely Offside' 0898 13446576
'Added Time - 4 Minutes' 0898 4135476
'Rimming Tips To Drive Your Man Wild' 0898 3473789

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024