Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite Moments of favourite players 13:43 - Nov 6 with 9475 viewsAntti_Heinola

Can't face work at the moment, so here's a little bit of fun. 5 cult favourites - what was your favourite single memory of each of these below? I've kicked it off...

1. Danny Shittu
Still think the day, think it was against Norwich, he got elbowed. Went off, changed his shirt, looked furious, came on, immediately scored with a header from a corner. Good luck stopping him when he's in that mood.

2. Adel Taraabt
Always the Swansea goal after the nutmeg of Joe Allen. The fact you can hear the crowd make a weird 'oooh' noise before it goes in, not believing what they're seeing does it for me.

3. Kevin Gallen
Very tough, so much to choose. But his first goal v Sheff Wed, even if it was scuffed, was amazing for me. We're the same age, and I thought he was the next Gary Lineker.

4. Danny Maddix
Gingerly warming up before the Palace 6-0. He was very doubtful, but vital to us. He played, he was magnificent. As always.

5. Lee Cook
Continually taking the piss out of Butterfield I think it was v Palace in a game we won 4-2. Absolutely unstoppable that day.

Bare bones.

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 13:46 - Nov 6 with 6630 viewsNorthernr

The Danny Shittu one was, I think, against Cardiff. Alan Lee let him jump for a header then elbowed him straight in the balls. Came off for treatment under our seats and was looking back over his shoulder the whole time shouting at Lee "I'm coming for you". Like you say, stormed back on, scored, and then spent the next hour or so absolutely pummelling into a million pieces until he was eventually carted off in several bits and replaced. Referee basically let Danny get on with it under the Well You Shouldn't Have Been So Stupid Darwinism Act of 1988.
Favourite Moments of favourite players on 14:06 - Nov 6 with 6587 viewsR_from_afar

Here's one of mine, from Gino: "When Terry Cooke set up Jon Shaw to score a great goal for Wednesday with just over half an hour to go, QPR were suddenly on the back foot. Wednesday piled on the pressure and, as their fans bit fingernails down to the quick, Rangers faced a real onslaught.

A goal then would have changed everything and the game turned on a superb last-ditch tackle by Rangers' Argentine full-back Gino Padula to deny Shaw and Wednesday a deserved second".

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2004/may/09/match.sport9

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 15:38 - Nov 6 with 6491 viewsAntti_Heinola

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 13:46 - Nov 6 by Northernr

The Danny Shittu one was, I think, against Cardiff. Alan Lee let him jump for a header then elbowed him straight in the balls. Came off for treatment under our seats and was looking back over his shoulder the whole time shouting at Lee "I'm coming for you". Like you say, stormed back on, scored, and then spent the next hour or so absolutely pummelling into a million pieces until he was eventually carted off in several bits and replaced. Referee basically let Danny get on with it under the Well You Shouldn't Have Been So Stupid Darwinism Act of 1988.

That's the one!

Bare bones.

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 15:45 - Nov 6 with 6482 viewsrsonist

Maddix wasn't actually injured that day, he just didn't want to get nicked for the fix.
Favourite Moments of favourite players on 15:50 - Nov 6 with 6463 viewsToast_R

What really fcks me off about the Taarabt one is that, that was the only game I missed that season because of the f*cking tube strike on boxing day. I tried to drive it but gave up as it was nearly half time and I was stuck behind the brain dead morons queuing to get into Westfields.. on f*cking boxing day!!!!!
Favourite Moments of favourite players on 15:59 - Nov 6 with 6445 viewsHAYESBOY

Ale Faurlin against Man City at home.
We lost 3-2 with an offside goal from Aguero.

But Faurlin's performance that night was one of the best I have seen in a QPR shirt and against the likes of Man City's midfield at the time.

Fantastic player and attitude.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 16:55 - Nov 6 with 6400 viewsPinnerPaul

A few from Stan the Man

'Where's your wife Stanley?' sang the crowd - he turned round and just shrugged his shoulders.

A wonderful dribble through the whole Arsenal defence at the loft end, shot just over though

So many more, but I'll close with a wonderful last minute free kick to beat Coventry 3-2 under the lights at the Loft end in the FA Cup. Only down side of that one was Mr Gregory refused to let TV cameras in, as it was the only game that night, so he thought highlights being shown would affect the gate - different times!
Favourite Moments of favourite players on 17:24 - Nov 6 with 6365 viewspaulparker

in No particular order these stand out

Shittu against Leicester in the 3-2 game , it was his first game back after a cruiate at one point I thought he had scored the winner instead of furlong as he was celebrating and screaming
“I’m fcuking back “ over and over

John Spencer away at reading a packed away end and things were very drab under Houston
Up pops spencer with a goal before running to the away end giving it the flexed muscles and
“I’m yer fcuking man “

To many for Adel but the goal against Arsenal in the Prem a proper well taken Finnish , he runs to the fans and is given a Fez to wear which he does the ref being a t0sspot dualy books him

Paul Parker winning every header against Graham Sharp in 87 Infact he didn’t give him a kick , Sharp didn’t know what to do Parker won everything against the reigning champions
It was then I thought we have a world class player here

The super Ray chip against Sheffield Wednesday I was right behind it in the loft and I could see what he was going to do before he chipped it I just stood open mouthed before celebrating like a maniac
Only Ray could have done that

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Login to get fewer ads

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 17:40 - Nov 6 with 6351 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Jamie Pollock.

Has he been inducted into the Forever Rs yet? If not, ‘kin travesty!!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 18:09 - Nov 6 with 6317 viewsAntti_Heinola

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 15:45 - Nov 6 by rsonist

Maddix wasn't actually injured that day, he just didn't want to get nicked for the fix.

SSSSHHHHH!

Bare bones.

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 18:52 - Nov 6 with 6281 viewsHantsR

Stan v Arsenal. With a delightful turn and drop of the shoulder, he caused Bob McNab to fall over backward without being touched.
Favourite Moments of favourite players on 18:58 - Nov 6 with 6271 viewsEsox_Lucius

QPR at home to Spurs; David Ginola hares off along the Ellerslie Road touchline towards the School end. Andy Impey comes haring behind him and slides in from behind and comes up running with the ball whilst Ginola is left sitting on his arse, arms wide, protesting for a foul. Meanwhile Impey gets the ball into the Spurs box and we score (can't remember who). Ginola was still complaining when Spurs kicked off again.

Adel coming on as sub against Wolves in the Prem when we were already 2-0 down. He managed to score one, which is all the record books will show but he destroyed Wolves midfield and defence time, after time, after time with only Wayne Hennessey having the game of his life and stopping/ blocking everything that was thrown at him. One thing about Adel, he may have thrown his toys out during games but he never hid in a game, he wanted the ball no matter what was happening.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2018 19:01]

The grass is always greener.

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 19:43 - Nov 6 with 6197 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

David Bardsley at Highbury in a 0-0 draw around 1993. I was about 17 and in the North Bank lower tier in one of the corners as I couldn't get into the away end. Bardsley gets the ball in front of me in the right back position - right in the corner, facing the crowd. No way out and being closed down by Lee Dixon, he somehow puts the ball through Dixons legs, rolls around him and strolls away. Cue gasps and groans from the Arsenal faithful. Fantastic piece of skill!
[Post edited 6 Nov 2018 19:44]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 20:29 - Nov 6 with 6140 viewsEsox_Lucius

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 19:43 - Nov 6 by CliveWilsonSaid

David Bardsley at Highbury in a 0-0 draw around 1993. I was about 17 and in the North Bank lower tier in one of the corners as I couldn't get into the away end. Bardsley gets the ball in front of me in the right back position - right in the corner, facing the crowd. No way out and being closed down by Lee Dixon, he somehow puts the ball through Dixons legs, rolls around him and strolls away. Cue gasps and groans from the Arsenal faithful. Fantastic piece of skill!

Bardsley deserved his sobriquet of Cucumber.

The grass is always greener.

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 20:39 - Nov 6 with 6127 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

My favourite Lee Cook games were his final game in his first loan spell from Watford. I think it was vs Cheltenham, I think we won three nil and he scored the third, took his shirt off and lobbed it into the lower loft. He then had to ask for it back as he had to carry on playing and don't think we were dishing shirts out even to players quite as readily as these days! He looked a completely different class at that level.

Then there was the game at home to Leicester... was it New Year's day? I remember having a stinking hang over! 2-0 down at half time, David Connelly got sent off and Cookie absolutely terrorised them all afternoon, eventually delivering the perfect cross to Furlong to score the winner. Wonderful atmosphere that afternoon.
Favourite Moments of favourite players on 21:15 - Nov 6 with 6062 viewsMrSheen

I can't remember the opponents and my memory may have embroidered this a little, but I can see Martin Rowlands sliding back behind the keeper to divert a shot onto the post, then 30 seconds later charging to the far byline to cross for Gallen to tap in. Some days he played teams on his own.

New Year's Day about 1988. We've battered Norwich all game but we're a goal down in injury time. A loopy ball goes into the box and Mark Falco barges the ball and about three defenders into the net.
Favourite Moments of favourite players on 21:27 - Nov 6 with 6033 viewsloftboy

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 21:15 - Nov 6 by MrSheen

I can't remember the opponents and my memory may have embroidered this a little, but I can see Martin Rowlands sliding back behind the keeper to divert a shot onto the post, then 30 seconds later charging to the far byline to cross for Gallen to tap in. Some days he played teams on his own.

New Year's Day about 1988. We've battered Norwich all game but we're a goal down in injury time. A loopy ball goes into the box and Mark Falco barges the ball and about three defenders into the net.

That was Colin clarke

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 21:29 - Nov 6 with 6031 viewsloftboy

Gavin maguire running up to Gary Crosby and growling at him, he shit himself and let the ball run out of play
Terry Fenwick elbowing Ardiles in the throat after mark dennis got sent off

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 21:40 - Nov 6 with 6019 viewsterryb

EDIT: I've just realised that this isn't what Antti asked for, but their all among my favourite players!

In no order apart from as I remembered them!

1) Phil Parkes scoring against Leicester on Boxing Day 1974. This only lasted for a second though as the referee gave offside one yard in their half.

2) The last minute of the FA Cup replay with Coventry in 1974. As the ref paced out the wall, Stanley moved the ball to a new position & then placed it in the net for a 3-2 win!

3) I can't remember who we were playing, but THAT free kick! From a standing position, Venables chipped the ball over the wall for Francis to turn on & score.

4) Villa Park 1968. Frank Clarke on a run down the right wing & playing the perfect pass for Rodney. Keith Bradley appearing from nowhere to score an own goal. We were in the First Division!

5) Paul Furlong. Oldham play off. Need I say more?

6) Chris Day. Oldham play off. Need I say more?
[Post edited 6 Nov 2018 21:43]
Favourite Moments of favourite players on 12:49 - Nov 7 with 5817 viewsPinnerPaul

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 21:40 - Nov 6 by terryb

EDIT: I've just realised that this isn't what Antti asked for, but their all among my favourite players!

In no order apart from as I remembered them!

1) Phil Parkes scoring against Leicester on Boxing Day 1974. This only lasted for a second though as the referee gave offside one yard in their half.

2) The last minute of the FA Cup replay with Coventry in 1974. As the ref paced out the wall, Stanley moved the ball to a new position & then placed it in the net for a 3-2 win!

3) I can't remember who we were playing, but THAT free kick! From a standing position, Venables chipped the ball over the wall for Francis to turn on & score.

4) Villa Park 1968. Frank Clarke on a run down the right wing & playing the perfect pass for Rodney. Keith Bradley appearing from nowhere to score an own goal. We were in the First Division!

5) Paul Furlong. Oldham play off. Need I say more?

6) Chris Day. Oldham play off. Need I say more?
[Post edited 6 Nov 2018 21:43]

I remember the Phil Parkes one - would be a goal all day long now and is a good example of how ridiculous the old offside law was - despite those moaning about the one now.
Favourite Moments of favourite players on 13:11 - Nov 7 with 5793 viewsMrSheen

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 21:27 - Nov 6 by loftboy

That was Colin clarke

Embroidered a little, but here it is.

Clarke scored the season after.
Favourite Moments of favourite players on 13:19 - Nov 7 with 5770 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Who remembers Akos Buszaky trapping to ball between his legs on the Ellerslie touchline then waddling like a penguin with it for about two yards?
Favourite Moments of favourite players on 13:29 - Nov 7 with 5750 viewsAntti_Heinola

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 19:43 - Nov 6 by CliveWilsonSaid

Well now you've done that, we need a Willo one too!
It has to be the penalty v Millwall, 5th Round of the Cup for me. Nerveless. Really thought we'd win it that year until we got bloody Man Utd in the quarters.

But also with Willo, in any game, a player charging towards goal, a goal looking on the cards, then seeing Willo chasing and just thinking 'it's all right, it's Willo.' And he'd take the ball. He was like Des Walker as a left back in that respect. Brilliant.

Good mention of Akos above - so many for him, but that incredible chip he did against... someone, at the School End. God I miss Akos.

Bare bones.

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 13:29 - Nov 7 with 5743 viewsMick_S

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 13:29 - Nov 7 by Antti_Heinola

Well now you've done that, we need a Willo one too!
It has to be the penalty v Millwall, 5th Round of the Cup for me. Nerveless. Really thought we'd win it that year until we got bloody Man Utd in the quarters.

But also with Willo, in any game, a player charging towards goal, a goal looking on the cards, then seeing Willo chasing and just thinking 'it's all right, it's Willo.' And he'd take the ball. He was like Des Walker as a left back in that respect. Brilliant.

Good mention of Akos above - so many for him, but that incredible chip he did against... someone, at the School End. God I miss Akos.

Blackpool?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Favourite Moments of favourite players on 13:30 - Nov 7 with 5743 viewsGalileo

Far from my favourite player but Trevor Francis hat-trick at Villa whilst our player manager deserves a mention. There wasn't many Rs in the crowd but certainly one of those 'I was there' games.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024