Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Substitutions are just not Eze 09:29 - Dec 3 with 3247 viewsBlue_Castello

As ever an excellent match report from Clive which highlighted the weak points in our current game plan and the lethargic way we started the match. The fact that we got to half time at 2-1 down after having some very good opportunities to score meant that we were very much in the game and could easily go on to get a point or win if we upped our game and took our chances.

Half time gave Steve a chance to evaluate the play so far, Hull had played with a lot more one touch incisive passing and did not look at all a bottom three side, it was time to consider what changes we could make as the next team who scored would make a huge difference to the out come of the game.

From where we were sitting in R block we were totally baffled by the first substitution, taking off Cameron and weakening the midfield by replacing him with a striker seemed almost suicidal, this turned out to be case Cameron goes off on 63 minutes and the outstanding Bowen scores on 69 minutes. That's it were now chasing the game and start making desperate substitutions by having to replace defenders with strikers leaving us even more exposed.

I struggle to understand the logic with weakening the midfield so substantially at a crucial point in the game, if he had replaced Cameron with Scowen it would have retained some protection for the back four. IMO there were two substitutions to be made to give us a chance to get on level terms and win the game, we obviously needed another striker so I would have brought on Hemed for Eze and then Samuel without doubt should have replaced Wszolek a lot earlier, he had ten minutes on the pitch 5 where he didn't see the ball and the other 5 where he had the right back on toast every time he got the ball.

The substitutions left us far too open and Hull were able to cut through our midfield, we lacked any sort of balance and game plan apart from resorting to the long ball game. I am a big fan of Eze after having been brought up on watching Marsh, Bowles, Stainrod, Wegerle etc etc but he should not be immune of being substituted if he is being marked out of the game. He's a fantastic prospect who will only get better but as we all know he's not the finished article and surely tactically we have to make substitutions that would improve our chances of winning the game.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2018 9:43]
Substitutions are just not Eze on 09:48 - Dec 3 with 3195 viewsbosh67

I agree. I don't think Eze would be effected too much with tactical substitutions. He's a strong character but sometimes you need wide players both side and 2 strikers to aims at who can meet the ball in the air running into the box or are predators in the box.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Substitutions are just not Eze on 09:53 - Dec 3 with 3179 viewsrobith

I didn't really get the point of leaving Eze on was to launch the ball over his head for the next 30 minutes leaving him less a number ten and more a planespotter at the Heathrow perimeter fence
Substitutions are just not Eze on 10:38 - Dec 3 with 3132 viewsEsox_Lucius

Cameron swapped positions with Luongo around 10-15 minutes before he went off so maybe something was up with him?

The grass is always greener.

Substitutions are just not Eze on 10:51 - Dec 3 with 3115 viewsHantsR

There were a few permutations of players that could have been considered for substitution given our formation and the way Hull were exploiting our relative slowness. Assuming Darnell is fully fit, I would like to have seen his speed and heading ability being brought into the fray, possibly even at the expense of Angel (who I greatly admire). I also think we needed Scowen in midfield as Cameron was a bit patchy and not able to link up with Luongo. BOS for Pav would have given us the edge if brought on earlier. The hoof ball to Wells and Eze was mostly a bit of a waste - sadly, Eze isn't yet much of a ball winner with either head or feet.
Substitutions are just not Eze on 13:22 - Dec 3 with 2918 viewsLondon_Pride

McClaren does show a worrying tendency to go for broke when we are losing in the 2nd half - often by packing the forward line at the expense of the midfield. Saturday was a classic example with Wells, Hemed and Smith up front but leaving us outnumbered at the back and reliant on long balls from the back.
It very rarely works. Steve has brought on Matt Smith as a sub 14 times and he is yet to score or create many opportunities for others. It is crying out for BOS or Paul Smyth to come on and run at the fullbacks.
Substitutions are just not Eze on 13:53 - Dec 3 with 2872 viewsderbyhoop

Agreed. Poor choice of substitutions and their timing.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Substitutions are just not Eze on 14:35 - Dec 3 with 2835 viewsqprd

I was ok with taking off Cameron. hull was bypassing our midfield with balls over the top/not really playing possession football, so we didn't need an extra ball winner in midfield. however, smith was an absolute trainwreck of a sub. he's a defensive liability (other than set pieces) who couldn't contribute to ball winning when we were out of possession, he threw off our shape, he wasn't effective at winning balls. really, he was just brought on for the chance that he connected on a cross.

said before, but bright should've been brought on earlier. you could tuck freeman a bit centrally and get a bit of defensive cover for Cameron, too.

Mclarens substitution patterns this entire season have been horrible. no manager is perfect, and he does deserve credit for turning it around, finding our best shape and xi.
however, he has consistently waited too long to make subs, often after they were needed. we've had multiple matches where he failed to use all 3. he needs to improve on this aspect for tactical reasons, to rest our core xi and to keep the rest of the squad happy. hard to believe BOS had been in the squad but not played in 13 of the last 14 league matches prior to Saturday. considering hes a massive piece of our future, this is not acceptable
Substitutions are just not Eze on 15:04 - Dec 3 with 2801 viewsParkRoyalR

I thought Luongo and Cameron after a bad start were beginning to get on top and Cameron was our best player up to being subbed, so hopefully a minor niggle rather than a poor call by McClaren. Stoke away demonstrated our Plan B if playing through Lynch is'nt working is for Lumley to kick long to wide positions. Wzolek lost 5 out of 5 headers from goal kicks in 1st Half and put us on the backfoot, so I would bring Furlong into Right Full Back as has demonstrated great aerial ability and is mobile, whereas Bidwell pushes up but doesnt get back with any urgency. I like Listner, despite his limitations, but club captaincy aside, would play Rangel as right sided centre half as communicates well which Furlong benefits from. Alternative would be to drop Bidwell and play Rangel at Left Back.
Login to get fewer ads

Substitutions are just not Eze on 15:50 - Dec 3 with 2723 viewskensalriser

Can someone let me know when it's OK to totally slag off the manager again? One more defeat?

I just want to be prepared with my rant.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Substitutions are just not Eze on 16:38 - Dec 3 with 2680 viewsrobith

Substitutions are just not Eze on 15:50 - Dec 3 by kensalriser

Can someone let me know when it's OK to totally slag off the manager again? One more defeat?

I just want to be prepared with my rant.

It's a bit strange that that's your take out from this - I've found this thread has been full of insightful analysis dissecting where people feel he went wrong tactically on Saturday. No one's perfect, and I imagine McClaren and the players are raking over the same things today in the video session
Substitutions are just not Eze on 17:53 - Dec 3 with 2631 viewsE17hoop

As I said on Saturday on another thread, the sub that should have been made was BOS for Freeman. Freeman didn't stink but he wasn't as effective as he can be. Against some pace and attacking intent, Hull would have struggled to contain BOS.

It was clear the back 4 was having a mare but taking Cameron off just left big holes for them to run at us. If he had to make a change defensively, Hall for Lynch would have been a better choice.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Substitutions are just not Eze on 18:12 - Dec 3 with 2604 viewsHantsR

Substitutions are just not Eze on 17:53 - Dec 3 by E17hoop

As I said on Saturday on another thread, the sub that should have been made was BOS for Freeman. Freeman didn't stink but he wasn't as effective as he can be. Against some pace and attacking intent, Hull would have struggled to contain BOS.

It was clear the back 4 was having a mare but taking Cameron off just left big holes for them to run at us. If he had to make a change defensively, Hall for Lynch would have been a better choice.

Don't think Hall was on the bench?
Substitutions are just not Eze on 20:43 - Dec 3 with 2523 viewsE17hoop

Substitutions are just not Eze on 18:12 - Dec 3 by HantsR

Don't think Hall was on the bench?

Apologies. My son said Hall was on the bench.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Substitutions are just not Eze on 21:43 - Dec 3 with 2456 viewsGloryHunter

Agree with all. Cameron and Rangel were playing well, and taking them off just weakened us. I would have hooked Eze for Ossie at half time. And then we would have won 4-2. Simples.
Substitutions are just not Eze on 02:33 - Dec 4 with 2353 viewstimcocking

All i know - what we all know - Bright needs more of a chance asap.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024