Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What were you scared of as a kid? 16:20 - Dec 5 with 17485 viewsKonk

My 4 year old son has developed a fear of foxes. No idea why. It might be Mr Todd from Peter Rabbit, but he watches that quite happily, so I'm not sure. I've explained that foxes are scared of humans, smaller than him, can't open doors/windows, don't have a set of our keys etc, but he's not convinced. So every night, he's now hiding under his duvet. Being a clever t wat, I went on YouTube and showed him a video of some bloke who's tamed a number of foxes, he was rolling round with them, stroking them etc; see, they're not scary. I thought this would do the job, but my son perceptively pointed out that the foxes in the video didn't look very scared of humans, so they may well sneak into his bedroom after all. Balls.

I'm not sure how to crack this one, and I don't want him to be anxious/scared. Until the fox thing, we'd be doing fine. As a kid, I was scared of dinosaurs because I wasn't entirely convinced they were extinct and when I asked my Mum, she just said there may well be dinosaurs out there somewhere, but we'd probably hear them in time to run away. Cheers.

I was then completely paranoid about nuclear war from about six to eleven, and used to get seriously stressed out about being away from my family when the four minute warning was sounded. And I wasn't convinced we even had a siren round our way, which didn't help either. My best case scenario, was us having just got home from the Chippy, sat round the table with my Nan and Grandad, most of the way through my scampi and chips and the bomb being dropped. And I'm an optimist by nature. This stressed me out because we only had fish and chips on a Friday, so I was relying on the Soviets bombing us on a Friday at about 5pm. Getting during school swimming or something would have been rubbish.

Running alongside my constant fear of nuclear holocaust for a couple of years was a fear of werewolves, which lasted until I was about ten, having seen the 'Thriller' video and watched bits of 'An American werewolf in London' from behind a cushion round my mate's house. I used to check the lunar cycle in my Mum's diary to make sure I was at home on Full moons, and for a short time, because I shared a room with my brother, I would try and stay awake as long as possible to make sure he wasn't a werewolf. Which thankfully, he wasn't. I was even scared of 'Manimal' FFS!

Was I just a massive bed wetter as a kid, or did everyone else worry about nuclear war, dinosaurs and sharing bunks with a werewolf? I was also scared of the Muppets, Dr Who and Star Trek. I'm hoping my son has a less anxious time, but he'll probably inherit his Mum's fear of balloons, dogs and fireworks. What were you scared of as a kid?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

What were you scared of as a kid? on 16:56 - Dec 6 with 2256 viewsPunteR

What were you scared of as a kid? on 14:21 - Dec 6 by Bluce_Ree

When I was 5 or something my mum put a small painting in my room of a rock in some water. Fine, except that to me I thought it was the thumb of a giant sticking out of the sea and was freaked out. Mum had to remove it.

She also had a painting that she did of a friend who looked like a scarier Grace Jones. I didn't like that much.

The song and video for The Wall by Pink Floyd. Maybe not scared but it makes me uneasy. I absolutely hate listening to it and it killed Floyd for me entirely.

We had a first aid book. I was fking terrified of that. It had a thing where part of someone's iris was detached from their eyeball. How's that even possible?! I don't think it is. Rubbish book.

Funny you say that about pink floyd and the wall. Same as me, hate that tune and weirded me out when i was young.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

What were you scared of as a kid? on 17:01 - Dec 6 with 2253 viewsterryb

Snakes, The Triffids & definetly being stuck on an island with those children from that awful book - The Lord of the Flies.

Another one was the telephone, even though we didn't have one at home. To this day I still dfislike them as I always expect bad news to be delivered. If the nearest neighbour with a phone was contacted, you dreaded what they will tell you. No doubt I would have felt the same about telegrams, but I've never seen one!

This won't be a problem for current day children as they will be fluent on them by the age of three!
What were you scared of as a kid? on 17:35 - Dec 6 with 2220 viewsPunteR

What were you scared of as a kid? on 01:35 - Dec 6 by DannyPaddox

Pretty sure you were watching early episodes of Bullseye. Pre-Jim Bowen.

Ha.. No it wasnt Bullseye.
Just found it on youtube. I've had to face my fears again.. lol
It was this... The Martian Chronicles.

Scared the bejeezus out of me as a kid.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

What were you scared of as a kid? on 19:55 - Dec 6 with 2156 viewsMaggsinho

Is forgotten about Day of the Triffids, I loved it/was terrified by it in equal measures. For some reason the part I found scariest was when the blind people discovered they could see and swarm all over the car. <shudders>
What were you scared of as a kid? on 20:26 - Dec 6 with 2144 viewsbosh67

As a young child I had a terrible fear I would end up supporting QPR. That terrible fear has remained with me until this day!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

What were you scared of as a kid? on 21:28 - Dec 6 with 2115 viewsenfieldargh

What were you scared of as a kid? on 14:09 - Dec 6 by HantsR

Ha Ha I used to drive one of those cars - don't really know people loved them so much as mine gave me so much trouble . It was a rust bucket and had never really been maintained when I bought it, to be fair. My wife beat the buyer down to £32.50 when she sold it for me.

I laughed at the half-timbered reference as I first heard that said by Dame Edna when she visited Stratford on Avon and remarked on the half-timbered cottages, then saw a MM Traveller and said, 'Oh look, there goes a half-timbered car!

actually she/he said a Shakespearean car me thinks

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

What were you scared of as a kid? on 22:10 - Dec 6 with 2096 viewsdezzar

Umbrellas . sitting on me dads shoulders on Oxford Street a womans umbrella stuck in me eye. Also, ever seen the nuclear war horror film Threads ,set in sheffield/Rotherham early 80s , nearly as scary as that area now
What were you scared of as a kid? on 22:59 - Dec 6 with 2075 viewsBeckenhamhoop

When I was quite small I heard this song and, as a result, I developed an irrational fear of Anne Boleyn! I would check under my bed and in the wardrobe every night before getting in to bed that she wasn’t there...with her head tucked underneath her arm!
Login to get fewer ads

What were you scared of as a kid? on 23:10 - Dec 6 with 2060 viewsCaptainPugwash

Arrrrrrr...
Reason whoy oy wents to sea.Imajin a land o's houses wi faces orn and talkin' vegetables wot go Flobadob.I ask 'ee,oy takes me chances wi monsters o' The Deep!

Yo Ho!
What were you scared of as a kid? on 23:31 - Dec 6 with 2053 viewsDannyPaddox

I had a phase of reading books about primatology, evolution and general mankind stuff. There are theories that our fears of dogs, foxes, big cats, even werewolves are hard wired into our DNA from centuries of sleeping and sheltering in caves. These animals would've been our major mortal danger.

When I was very young I woke in my bed in the half-light to find a snarly collie standing over me. It was a cold fear moment. There was another dog in the family though, a fearsome looking Alsatian who was however the friendliest thing in the world. So although unnerved by the incident (images like the Tex Avery bad wolf cartoon used to send the cold chills through me) it never developed into an obsessive fear.

Another curious theory is that dogs have evolved from their wild looking ancestors to look more like human infants - big eyes, fluffy, and generally cute, so as to be taken in and fed by humans. Foxes however, like wolves, have remained aloof and not traded in their wild nature for a life of domestication. Foxes probably look at dogs as proper tarts, or punk bands that sold out for a bit of wedge and a pork chop. What intrigues me though is what would Konk's boy with his fear of foxes and his ineffable young logic make of Basil Brush?
[Post edited 6 Dec 2018 23:34]
What were you scared of as a kid? on 23:31 - Dec 6 with 2053 viewsHantsR

What were you scared of as a kid? on 21:28 - Dec 6 by enfieldargh

actually she/he said a Shakespearean car me thinks

Lol Well my memory is quite clear on that quote but I suspect we're both right as s/he may have said both, possibly in the same programme. I remember her going round Anne Hathaway's cottage, looking at the roped-off areas and concluded that Anne must have been disabled to need these ropes to help her round her house.
What were you scared of as a kid? on 23:38 - Dec 6 with 2039 viewswombat

What were you scared of as a kid? on 23:31 - Dec 6 by HantsR

Lol Well my memory is quite clear on that quote but I suspect we're both right as s/he may have said both, possibly in the same programme. I remember her going round Anne Hathaway's cottage, looking at the roped-off areas and concluded that Anne must have been disabled to need these ropes to help her round her house.

Two guys I worked with had these fears
Corrugated cardboard shat himself when we went up behind hi. With a cardboard box

2ns was small birds one got into the office one lunchtime view the air con vent , never seen anyone move as quick as he did , even funnier he is a millwall fan and reckons he’s hard as nails

Poll: which is your favouite foot

What were you scared of as a kid? on 23:56 - Dec 6 with 2029 viewsFDC

What were you scared of as a kid? on 14:51 - Dec 6 by Maggsinho

I was OK going on ships but shipwrecks still turn my stomach, even just seeing the propeller or the exposed hull of a ship makes me uneasy, I remember walking through a shipyard with lots of boats out of the water when I was a kid and I couldn't wait to get out.

I was also terrified of lifts when I was a kid, I had an operation in Hammersmith Hospital when I was about eight and remember being on the way to theatre safe in the knowledge that my bed would never fit in a lift when much to my horror they wheeled me, bed and all straight into one.

Re shipwrecks, when we went snorkeling in the Philippines we were taken to a site just above a sunken gun boat teeming with fish. Astonishing snorkeling, but I found the sight of the boat below us so eerie I couldn't wait to get out, really weird.
What were you scared of as a kid? on 00:04 - Dec 7 with 2024 viewsTacticalR

Miss Jessel in The Innocents

Air hostess clique

What were you scared of as a kid? on 07:03 - Dec 7 with 1969 viewsKonk

What were you scared of as a kid? on 23:31 - Dec 6 by DannyPaddox

I had a phase of reading books about primatology, evolution and general mankind stuff. There are theories that our fears of dogs, foxes, big cats, even werewolves are hard wired into our DNA from centuries of sleeping and sheltering in caves. These animals would've been our major mortal danger.

When I was very young I woke in my bed in the half-light to find a snarly collie standing over me. It was a cold fear moment. There was another dog in the family though, a fearsome looking Alsatian who was however the friendliest thing in the world. So although unnerved by the incident (images like the Tex Avery bad wolf cartoon used to send the cold chills through me) it never developed into an obsessive fear.

Another curious theory is that dogs have evolved from their wild looking ancestors to look more like human infants - big eyes, fluffy, and generally cute, so as to be taken in and fed by humans. Foxes however, like wolves, have remained aloof and not traded in their wild nature for a life of domestication. Foxes probably look at dogs as proper tarts, or punk bands that sold out for a bit of wedge and a pork chop. What intrigues me though is what would Konk's boy with his fear of foxes and his ineffable young logic make of Basil Brush?
[Post edited 6 Dec 2018 23:34]

His Mum had a Basil Brush cuddly toy when she was a kid, and that now lives in the room that our son stays in at his Gran's - and he's perfectly okay with that. Weird. Maybe he's comfortable with Light entertainment. showbiz foxes and it's the wild ones that scare him.

One of my best mates has a phobia of buttons. Everything in her wardrobe has to fasten by zip or elastic. I was on the tube with her once and we had to get off a couple of stops early because the bloke stood right in front of her was wearing a Pea coat with massive buttons and it was freaking her out. Koumpounophobia - now that's an odd one.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

What were you scared of as a kid? on 09:04 - Dec 7 with 1929 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I've got a fear of Falling.

I'm not exactly scared of heights but can't stand the thought of falling. I used to have recurring dreams when I was younger that I was on a bus turning a corner that would then somehow fall off something. I'd always wake up before reaching the bottom.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

What were you scared of as a kid? on 09:44 - Dec 7 with 1909 viewsDorse

My step-brother is afraid of buttons. I remember once putting a shirt button in the middle of the living room and watching him edge his way around it, never taking his eyes off it, trying to reach the sofa.

I thought this was odd but another friend of mine is also terrified of them. She is married to a guy who is afraid of spiders (even the little ones). He is built like a brick scheissehaus so it is less safe to mock him.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

What were you scared of as a kid? on 10:53 - Dec 7 with 1877 viewsBirminghamR

Buttons - Hate them to this day. When my wife came home with a new cardigan with big round buttons, I went somewhat irrational I fear!
That and the child catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
What were you scared of as a kid? on 10:53 - Dec 7 with 1876 viewsBerkoRanger

I was scared of London trolleybuses, apparently. Now I work for a London bus company.....
What were you scared of as a kid? on 12:24 - Dec 7 with 1844 viewssimmo

Big Birds, specifically Swans. As a kid it was the typical being chased by loads of ducks/swans in the park trying to get the bread you were holding while your dad watched on and laughed - especially if the fcker put a load in the hood of your coat... I guess it stayed with me as I fckin hate swans, etc.

I'm not scared to see pictures of them or have them on the water, but if I am on land and one is near me, I am ready to leg it / kung fu kick the bstard right in it's neck.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

What were you scared of as a kid? on 13:30 - Dec 7 with 1819 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

What were you scared of as a kid? on 13:48 - Dec 7 with 1805 viewsR_from_afar

What were you scared of as a kid? on 13:26 - Dec 6 by headhoops

Moles and Horses.

was bitten by both as a 5 year old. Fortunately you don't see many moles anymore. Still avoid horses which has probably saved me a fortune at the bookies.

"Moles and Horses.
was bitten by both as a 5 year old".

At the same time? That is pretty unfortunate. But then it has long been known that moles and horses have a symbiotic relationship .

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

What were you scared of as a kid? on 13:55 - Dec 7 with 1794 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

What were you scared of as a kid? on 12:24 - Dec 7 by simmo

Big Birds, specifically Swans. As a kid it was the typical being chased by loads of ducks/swans in the park trying to get the bread you were holding while your dad watched on and laughed - especially if the fcker put a load in the hood of your coat... I guess it stayed with me as I fckin hate swans, etc.

I'm not scared to see pictures of them or have them on the water, but if I am on land and one is near me, I am ready to leg it / kung fu kick the bstard right in it's neck.

I've also had my fair share of traumatic experiences with Big Birds.

[Post edited 7 Dec 2018 14:05]
What were you scared of as a kid? on 21:11 - Dec 7 with 1738 viewsCiderwithRsie

What were you scared of as a kid? on 10:53 - Dec 7 by BirminghamR

Buttons - Hate them to this day. When my wife came home with a new cardigan with big round buttons, I went somewhat irrational I fear!
That and the child catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

I can't stand buttons either, I had no idea that it was A Thing or had a name, I thought it was just me being weird.

I'm not scared of them, I just find them repellent. Usually wear a tee-shirt under a shirt to keep them away from my skin. Deep down I have a sort of fear of them getting into my mouth, so maybe one did when I was tiny or something. But I've learnt to manage this by having a strict button-free diet.
What were you scared of as a kid? on 23:10 - Dec 7 with 1708 viewsLancsR

I once picked loads of different spiders out of their webs and filled a crisp packet full of them. Then I went and poured them all down the back of a lads top who I didn't like very much. The lad balled his eyes out and his Dad came and found me and give me a right rollicking! That lad, whose name I can't even remember probably developed a fear of spiders because of my terrible action that day.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024