Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What were you scared of as a kid? 16:20 - Dec 5 with 16889 viewsKonk

My 4 year old son has developed a fear of foxes. No idea why. It might be Mr Todd from Peter Rabbit, but he watches that quite happily, so I'm not sure. I've explained that foxes are scared of humans, smaller than him, can't open doors/windows, don't have a set of our keys etc, but he's not convinced. So every night, he's now hiding under his duvet. Being a clever t wat, I went on YouTube and showed him a video of some bloke who's tamed a number of foxes, he was rolling round with them, stroking them etc; see, they're not scary. I thought this would do the job, but my son perceptively pointed out that the foxes in the video didn't look very scared of humans, so they may well sneak into his bedroom after all. Balls.

I'm not sure how to crack this one, and I don't want him to be anxious/scared. Until the fox thing, we'd be doing fine. As a kid, I was scared of dinosaurs because I wasn't entirely convinced they were extinct and when I asked my Mum, she just said there may well be dinosaurs out there somewhere, but we'd probably hear them in time to run away. Cheers.

I was then completely paranoid about nuclear war from about six to eleven, and used to get seriously stressed out about being away from my family when the four minute warning was sounded. And I wasn't convinced we even had a siren round our way, which didn't help either. My best case scenario, was us having just got home from the Chippy, sat round the table with my Nan and Grandad, most of the way through my scampi and chips and the bomb being dropped. And I'm an optimist by nature. This stressed me out because we only had fish and chips on a Friday, so I was relying on the Soviets bombing us on a Friday at about 5pm. Getting during school swimming or something would have been rubbish.

Running alongside my constant fear of nuclear holocaust for a couple of years was a fear of werewolves, which lasted until I was about ten, having seen the 'Thriller' video and watched bits of 'An American werewolf in London' from behind a cushion round my mate's house. I used to check the lunar cycle in my Mum's diary to make sure I was at home on Full moons, and for a short time, because I shared a room with my brother, I would try and stay awake as long as possible to make sure he wasn't a werewolf. Which thankfully, he wasn't. I was even scared of 'Manimal' FFS!

Was I just a massive bed wetter as a kid, or did everyone else worry about nuclear war, dinosaurs and sharing bunks with a werewolf? I was also scared of the Muppets, Dr Who and Star Trek. I'm hoping my son has a less anxious time, but he'll probably inherit his Mum's fear of balloons, dogs and fireworks. What were you scared of as a kid?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

What were you scared of as a kid? on 08:19 - Dec 8 with 2031 viewsdistortR

What were you scared of as a kid? on 21:11 - Dec 7 by CiderwithRsie

I can't stand buttons either, I had no idea that it was A Thing or had a name, I thought it was just me being weird.

I'm not scared of them, I just find them repellent. Usually wear a tee-shirt under a shirt to keep them away from my skin. Deep down I have a sort of fear of them getting into my mouth, so maybe one did when I was tiny or something. But I've learnt to manage this by having a strict button-free diet.

that would be your Manx heritage.
Your lot are from the Foxdale - Peel area, right?
Buttons must be tricky when you have 12 fingers
What were you scared of as a kid? on 09:19 - Dec 8 with 1985 viewsaussiehoop

Growing up in Oz most of my fears have lasted; mainly spiders that can survive a fly swat, snakes (they’re all bloody poisonous) and sharks. Weirdly with sharks I’m ok in the ocean if I can touch the sand even though I’ve no chance of outswimming or outrunning them.

Geese and Swans are also sh*t things.
What were you scared of as a kid? on 09:34 - Dec 8 with 1979 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

We used to have a Peter Gabriel compilation video lying around at home for some reason. I was old enough by then not to actually be scared by it but it was very weird. These two videos in particular were a bit unsettling.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:44 - Dec 10 with 1890 viewsKonk

What were you scared of as a kid? on 23:31 - Dec 6 by DannyPaddox

I had a phase of reading books about primatology, evolution and general mankind stuff. There are theories that our fears of dogs, foxes, big cats, even werewolves are hard wired into our DNA from centuries of sleeping and sheltering in caves. These animals would've been our major mortal danger.

When I was very young I woke in my bed in the half-light to find a snarly collie standing over me. It was a cold fear moment. There was another dog in the family though, a fearsome looking Alsatian who was however the friendliest thing in the world. So although unnerved by the incident (images like the Tex Avery bad wolf cartoon used to send the cold chills through me) it never developed into an obsessive fear.

Another curious theory is that dogs have evolved from their wild looking ancestors to look more like human infants - big eyes, fluffy, and generally cute, so as to be taken in and fed by humans. Foxes however, like wolves, have remained aloof and not traded in their wild nature for a life of domestication. Foxes probably look at dogs as proper tarts, or punk bands that sold out for a bit of wedge and a pork chop. What intrigues me though is what would Konk's boy with his fear of foxes and his ineffable young logic make of Basil Brush?
[Post edited 6 Dec 2018 23:34]

Well, that didn't work! I was trying to upload a picture of the Basil Brush cuddly toy that my son has in the room at his Gran's house. You've all missed out there, big time.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2018 9:46]

What were you scared of as a kid? on 09:55 - Dec 10 with 1875 viewsMick_S

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

What were you scared of as a kid? on 14:26 - Dec 10 with 1825 viewsDannyPaddox

What were you scared of as a kid? on 15:16 - Dec 10 with 1804 viewsCiderwithRsie

What were you scared of as a kid? on 08:19 - Dec 8 by distortR

that would be your Manx heritage.
Your lot are from the Foxdale - Peel area, right?
Buttons must be tricky when you have 12 fingers

My granddad was from Douglas but back in Victorian times the family was from East Baldwin and as far as we can tell absolutely none of them moved out of the valley since the late 1600s (maybe earlier, that's as far back as we can find.) Which makes Peel or Foxdale look like New York City, so I'm probably lucky not to have a tail.

The odd thing is that when they were living in a croft without two potatoes to rub together they all loved into their 70s and 80s; as soon as the family moved to Douglas they dropped like flies and were lucky to reach 50.
(No subject) (n/t) on 15:17 - Dec 10 with 1801 viewsKonk

What were you scared of as a kid? on 23:31 - Dec 6 by DannyPaddox

I had a phase of reading books about primatology, evolution and general mankind stuff. There are theories that our fears of dogs, foxes, big cats, even werewolves are hard wired into our DNA from centuries of sleeping and sheltering in caves. These animals would've been our major mortal danger.

When I was very young I woke in my bed in the half-light to find a snarly collie standing over me. It was a cold fear moment. There was another dog in the family though, a fearsome looking Alsatian who was however the friendliest thing in the world. So although unnerved by the incident (images like the Tex Avery bad wolf cartoon used to send the cold chills through me) it never developed into an obsessive fear.

Another curious theory is that dogs have evolved from their wild looking ancestors to look more like human infants - big eyes, fluffy, and generally cute, so as to be taken in and fed by humans. Foxes however, like wolves, have remained aloof and not traded in their wild nature for a life of domestication. Foxes probably look at dogs as proper tarts, or punk bands that sold out for a bit of wedge and a pork chop. What intrigues me though is what would Konk's boy with his fear of foxes and his ineffable young logic make of Basil Brush?
[Post edited 6 Dec 2018 23:34]

Login to get fewer ads

What were you scared of as a kid? on 22:02 - Dec 10 with 1741 viewsdistortR

What were you scared of as a kid? on 15:16 - Dec 10 by CiderwithRsie

My granddad was from Douglas but back in Victorian times the family was from East Baldwin and as far as we can tell absolutely none of them moved out of the valley since the late 1600s (maybe earlier, that's as far back as we can find.) Which makes Peel or Foxdale look like New York City, so I'm probably lucky not to have a tail.

The odd thing is that when they were living in a croft without two potatoes to rub together they all loved into their 70s and 80s; as soon as the family moved to Douglas they dropped like flies and were lucky to reach 50.

i was going to 'like' your post, but the latter bit was sad!

East Baldwin is lovely - do you know where the croft was? You may well have seen the books published recently featuring (lovely) photos of old tholtans on the island.
What were you scared of as a kid? on 00:09 - Dec 11 with 1713 viewsCiderwithRsie

What were you scared of as a kid? on 22:02 - Dec 10 by distortR

i was going to 'like' your post, but the latter bit was sad!

East Baldwin is lovely - do you know where the croft was? You may well have seen the books published recently featuring (lovely) photos of old tholtans on the island.

We know where it is, and my dad and older brother have visited and chatted with the landowners (the actual croft is a tholtan). They're some sort of relatives, apparently. I've not seen it myself but I've been to St Luke's chapel, where most of them were christened, married and buried.

We got a photo of the tholtan taken for my dad's 90th birthday recently.

Yeah, the valley's beautiful - it felt odd driving up the road from Douglas, knowing that my ancestors must have gone down it (on foot?) when they left for Douglas - but coming into it the other way, over the mountain (from Injebreck, then cutting across from West Baldwin after the reservoir) was spectacular! (Glad not to meet anyone coming the other way though, I didn't fancy reversing round a hairpin bend up a one-in-four or whatever it is slope with sheep all over the road.)
What were you scared of as a kid? on 19:14 - Dec 11 with 1657 viewsdistortR

What were you scared of as a kid? on 00:09 - Dec 11 by CiderwithRsie

We know where it is, and my dad and older brother have visited and chatted with the landowners (the actual croft is a tholtan). They're some sort of relatives, apparently. I've not seen it myself but I've been to St Luke's chapel, where most of them were christened, married and buried.

We got a photo of the tholtan taken for my dad's 90th birthday recently.

Yeah, the valley's beautiful - it felt odd driving up the road from Douglas, knowing that my ancestors must have gone down it (on foot?) when they left for Douglas - but coming into it the other way, over the mountain (from Injebreck, then cutting across from West Baldwin after the reservoir) was spectacular! (Glad not to meet anyone coming the other way though, I didn't fancy reversing round a hairpin bend up a one-in-four or whatever it is slope with sheep all over the road.)

I'm not Manx and my family tree has proved to be quite elusive, with a lot of movement - I've always thought it would be good to have somewhere where you could actually say - this is where we're from. It must give you a sense of place.
What were you scared of as a kid? on 19:24 - Dec 11 with 1651 viewsBoston

What were you scared of as a kid? on 19:14 - Dec 11 by distortR

I'm not Manx and my family tree has proved to be quite elusive, with a lot of movement - I've always thought it would be good to have somewhere where you could actually say - this is where we're from. It must give you a sense of place.

....especially as the locals would like you to feck off back to wherever you’re not from.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

What were you scared of as a kid? on 19:45 - Dec 11 with 1637 viewsdistortR

What were you scared of as a kid? on 19:24 - Dec 11 by Boston

....especially as the locals would like you to feck off back to wherever you’re not from.

that's not the locals, that's my wife
What were you scared of as a kid? on 21:45 - Dec 11 with 1611 viewsMrSheen

Vinyl car seats on a hot day. Stinger.
What were you scared of as a kid? on 23:22 - Dec 11 with 1581 viewsKonk

What were you scared of as a kid? on 21:45 - Dec 11 by MrSheen

Vinyl car seats on a hot day. Stinger.

Oh, mate! Getting in my Grandad’s Austin 1300 after it had been sat all day in the Bognor sunshine - the screams and whining from the back of that car...terrible times.

What were you scared of as a kid? on 00:01 - Dec 12 with 1573 viewsBoston

The Mysterons.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

What were you scared of as a kid? on 05:00 - Dec 12 with 1551 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

What were you scared of as a kid? on 09:19 - Dec 8 by aussiehoop

Growing up in Oz most of my fears have lasted; mainly spiders that can survive a fly swat, snakes (they’re all bloody poisonous) and sharks. Weirdly with sharks I’m ok in the ocean if I can touch the sand even though I’ve no chance of outswimming or outrunning them.

Geese and Swans are also sh*t things.

I reckon you have a decent chance of outrunning them.
What were you scared of as a kid? on 12:27 - Dec 12 with 1495 viewsGRDHoops

Two things scared me as a kid (and still do).

Noseybonk from Jigsaw. Used to have nightmares about this guy.

The other one was the War of the Worlds main song/ the Martians on stilts. Hated that & convinced me that we'd be invaded one day before I would grow up.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024