Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Tories Are Bonkers! 08:51 - Dec 12 with 41560 viewsBostonR

Have been in the US since the summer and arrived back this week and going to the game on Sat.

I have watched the carnage in the US political system, but that was evened-out in the mid-term elections. Watching the madness this morning, it looks like a Tory coup by the ERG and other right-wing nut-cases.

I am no Tory, but May has to see them off before they throw this country under the bus!
The Tories Are Bonkers! on 13:54 - Dec 14 with 1782 viewsMytch_QPR

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 13:52 - Dec 14 by loftboy

As long as it’s not in my head!! Happy christmas

If it all goes badly wrong I'll need the hatchet to chop up my furniture for firewood.
Merry Christmas mate x

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 13:57 - Dec 14 with 1770 viewskensalriser

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 09:53 - Dec 14 by hubble

Firstly, the European commission is not elected. Here's an apposite quote from the Economist that nails the problem with how the EU functions:

"Eurosceptics have a valid case against the EU, but not because its leaders are “unelected bureaucrats”. Rather, its bureaucrats are too insulated from democracy, and its democracy is not functioning well enough without a common demos to make it work."

This is a huge problem that is not going away.

Secondly: the EU is tantamount to a federal state.

From wikipedia on the Federalisation of the European Union.

"Since the 1950s, European integration has seen the development of a supranational system of governance, as its institutions move further from the concept of simple intergovernmentalism and more towards a federalised system. However, with the Maastricht Treaty of 1992, new intergovernmental elements have been introduced alongside the more federal systems, making it more difficult to define the European Union (the EU). The European Union, which operates through a hybrid system of intergovernmentalism and supranationalism, is not officially a federation — though various academic observers regard it as having the characteristics of a federal system."

No, the European commission is not elected. Neither is our civil service, nor House of Lords, nor head of state.

The commission can only propose legislation that then has to be ratified by the directly elected parliament and the council, which is made up of the elected governments of the member states.

The US is a federal state. The EU is not - as indeed your wiki quote appears to say!
[Post edited 14 Dec 2018 13:58]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 14:19 - Dec 14 with 1716 viewsSnipper

The Labour Party’s position is to remain. But the vast majority of their seats are in ‘leave’ heartlands. If we end up remaining, Labour will be the big losers in the long term.

I voted to leave the European Union, not to half leave, half stay.

I’ve never ever voted Conservative, and I never will. But I won’t vote Labour either.
The Tories Are Bonkers! on 14:30 - Dec 14 with 1695 viewsBklynRanger

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 12:43 - Dec 14 by BklynRanger

Big T's going to give another speech now anyway Probably one of her 'don't fcuk with the UK bitches' ones. I love those.

Wasn't exactly worth waiting for
The Tories Are Bonkers! on 14:34 - Dec 14 with 1679 viewsrobith

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 14:19 - Dec 14 by Snipper

The Labour Party’s position is to remain. But the vast majority of their seats are in ‘leave’ heartlands. If we end up remaining, Labour will be the big losers in the long term.

I’ve never ever voted Conservative, and I never will. But I won’t vote Labour either.

Labour's position isn't remain
The Tories Are Bonkers! on 14:41 - Dec 14 with 1654 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 14:34 - Dec 14 by robith

Facts are overrated.
The Tories Are Bonkers! on 14:44 - Dec 14 with 1636 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 14:19 - Dec 14 by Snipper

https://labour.org.uk/manifesto/negotiating-brexit/#first
The Tories Are Bonkers! on 14:46 - Dec 14 with 1633 viewsSharpy36

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 14:34 - Dec 14 by robith

But it is to remain in a customs union aswell as staying aligned to the single market. So how is that leaving the EU ?

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Login to get fewer ads

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 14:50 - Dec 14 with 1618 viewsCliff

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 14:46 - Dec 14 by Sharpy36

But it is to remain in a customs union aswell as staying aligned to the single market. So how is that leaving the EU ?

Therein lies the problem: If we can't agree even now on what counts as in or out, it's not surprising people are questioning the validity of the first referendum and asking for a second one with hopefully clearer definitions and options.
The Tories Are Bonkers! on 14:53 - Dec 14 with 1601 views2Thomas2Bowles

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 13:27 - Dec 14 by Mytch_QPR

I've already tried this to no avail. Apparently it's evil and should be killed - and it's going to cost us 7 Euros each to go over there and kill it.

Well if we keep having summers like this year no need for Millions to go to Spain , Greece, Italy and so on, that's Spain, Greece, Italy fecked

Maybe we should charge EU Citizens that come here to use the NHS and don't bother paying
[Post edited 14 Dec 2018 14:54]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 14:55 - Dec 14 with 1589 viewseasthertsr

A second referendum could easily have a different outcome without any single voter changing their mind. Since 2016 many older, largely leave voters will have passed away, at the same many teens, largely remain voters will have become 18. IThis difference in the demographic could be crucial to the result.
The Tories Are Bonkers! on 14:56 - Dec 14 with 1584 viewsSharpy36

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 14:50 - Dec 14 by Cliff

Therein lies the problem: If we can't agree even now on what counts as in or out, it's not surprising people are questioning the validity of the first referendum and asking for a second one with hopefully clearer definitions and options.

We had clear definitions first time round regarding leaving the CU, SM and the end to the jurisdiction of the ECJ. That came from both sides of the debate. Leave ment leave that`s what was clear to at least all those i know who voted the same way. The muddying of the waters has come from one side only, the losers side.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2018 15:05]

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 14:58 - Dec 14 with 1577 viewsloftboy

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 14:56 - Dec 14 by Sharpy36

We had clear definitions first time round regarding leaving the CU, SM and the end to the jurisdiction of the ECJ. That came from both sides of the debate. Leave ment leave that`s what was clear to at least all those i know who voted the same way. The muddying of the waters has come from one side only, the losers side.

This

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 15:01 - Dec 14 with 1567 viewsMytch_QPR

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 14:55 - Dec 14 by easthertsr

A second referendum could easily have a different outcome without any single voter changing their mind. Since 2016 many older, largely leave voters will have passed away, at the same many teens, largely remain voters will have become 18. IThis difference in the demographic could be crucial to the result.

Given their average age, it's surprising so many of them are planning to riot if they don't get their way.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 15:03 - Dec 14 with 1557 viewsSharpy36

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 14:55 - Dec 14 by easthertsr

Yeah ignore those old bastards that gave everything to this country all thier lives and knew when we joined in 1975 that what it was then to what it is today gave them cause to vote leave. Instead listen to an 18 year old who would happly paint over war memorial or draw up a list of PC bollocks to stop a comedian upset their fragile state of mind.

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 15:04 - Dec 14 with 1550 viewsMaggsinho

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 15:03 - Dec 14 by Sharpy36

Yeah ignore those old bastards that gave everything to this country all thier lives and knew when we joined in 1975 that what it was then to what it is today gave them cause to vote leave. Instead listen to an 18 year old who would happly paint over war memorial or draw up a list of PC bollocks to stop a comedian upset their fragile state of mind.

I think you may be over generalising here.
The Tories Are Bonkers! on 15:08 - Dec 14 with 1533 viewsCliff

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 14:56 - Dec 14 by Sharpy36

I'm not sure you and Loftboy being clear in your heads counts as proof that the definitions were clear in themselves. The fact that neither political party, or indeed the posters on this thread, seem to to be able to agree what was leaving actually meant I don't think you can justify your claim of clear definitions.
The Tories Are Bonkers! on 15:10 - Dec 14 with 1519 viewsloftboy

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 15:08 - Dec 14 by Cliff

I'm not sure you and Loftboy being clear in your heads counts as proof that the definitions were clear in themselves. The fact that neither political party, or indeed the posters on this thread, seem to to be able to agree what was leaving actually meant I don't think you can justify your claim of clear definitions.

Well our own PM ha said “leave means leave” on numerous occasions

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 15:11 - Dec 14 with 1507 viewsMytch_QPR

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 15:08 - Dec 14 by Cliff

I clearly remember a UKIP rep in an interview prior to the referendum stating 'nobody is saying we have to leave the single market'...

The ballot paper simply stated leave or remain - sadly, the serious debate got going after the result.

Found it (I think!):

Edit: not UKIP, a Leave spokesperson.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2018 15:24]

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 15:12 - Dec 14 with 1505 viewsCliff

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 15:10 - Dec 14 by loftboy

Well our own PM ha said “leave means leave” on numerous occasions

Both a circular argument and a sample of 1!
The Tories Are Bonkers! on 15:12 - Dec 14 with 1504 viewsMonahoop

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 14:50 - Dec 14 by Cliff

A second referendum with hopefully clearer definitions and options you say? Well I bet someone somewhere knows what those definitions and options are but clearly no British politician does nor do they seem to have the intelligence or wit to know. That person must be found, but where to find them before 29th March!

There aint half been some clever bastards.

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 15:32 - Dec 14 with 1453 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

You are very difficult to take seriously mate, and I'm probably not far from your point of view.
The Tories Are Bonkers! on 15:39 - Dec 14 with 1434 viewstraininvain

Fragile state of mind sounds about right. But glad you didn't lose. Hopefully you won something nice.
The Tories Are Bonkers! on 15:55 - Dec 14 with 1386 viewskensalriser

Well, my old bastard of a father, now 87, who lived through the blitz (and entire war as he was never evacuated) as a schoolboy not only voted to remain, but told me that people of his age shouldn't have been allowed to vote as they will all be dead soon. I should add that we share very little politically.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 16:11 - Dec 14 with 1356 viewsSharpy36

The Tories Are Bonkers! on 15:32 - Dec 14 by BazzaInTheLoft

You are very difficult to take seriously mate, and I'm probably not far from your point of view.

What i have been hearing and reading about recently regarding this whole argument that a lot of Oldies having died off since 2016 has really got under my skin, and imo those who are pushing that narrative are doing the second referendum cause more harm than good.
As for taking me serious, do so when it comes to Brexit as i would suggest this whole situation has got people more in tune with politics than ever before, and for me that`s a good thing, although saying that, it`s all starting to turn the other way now. It`s a bloody mess.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024