Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. 20:36 - Dec 16 with 3192 viewsJuzzie

... would be much appreciated.

Looking to go first week or so in the new year for three days. Travelling doesn’t normally bother me, in fact I really like it.
However, it’ll be me, the missus, the mum in law, a 4 year old boy and almost one year old girl.

It just feels a bit heavy going and a lot of walking could be difficult for the kids, especially the boy and if the weather is crap then that’ll be a real downer.

I’m aware of things like avoiding having pictures taken with rip off gladiators and food right by the attractions is expensive and often not fresh then theres the pick pockets who will see a family as an easy target to cause distraction with.

As you can gather, I feel a bit wary of doing this trip, which is a shame as its a place I’d love to go to, just without all the complications.

Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 20:40 - Dec 16 with 3170 viewsNorthernr

Do Florence instead. Smaller, nicer, cleaner, less tourist traps, better restaurants, Sienna a short train ride away.

Did Northern and central Italy by rail for a month the summer before last and Rome was my least favourite bit of a wonderful trip, along with Venice.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 20:55 - Dec 16 with 3129 viewsBlackCrowe

Eat fettucine Alfredo at Alfredo's (and check out all the photos on the walls).

And stay in the Trastevere district.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2018 20:55]

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 21:05 - Dec 16 with 3108 viewsted_hendrix

Your cutting it fine re the cost and booking, believe it or not the best deal I got for a few days break back in July was through BA which I booked, unfortunately something cropped up and I had to cancel the bloody trip!
If your planning to visit the 'sites' for goodness sake book tickets on line in advance to avoid the queues that can be horrendous at given times.

Use Fiumicino airport if possible

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 21:07 - Dec 16 with 3099 viewsToast_R

Don't attempt the Vatican on a Sunday. Although I got to see the Pope from a distance, it was very busy, the Sistene Chappell was closed to the public and the trains were shite.

I agree with North though, Florence is far better especially with kids. Miracle Square well worth a visit.
Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 21:22 - Dec 16 with 3077 viewsstowmarketrange

I’ve been there for the rugby twice and we’ve never had a problem with pickpockets or anything else.
The only problem is people trying to sell you selfie sticks and little gifts.Everywhere you look there is a historic building.
We also booked train tickets for Florence and I’m glad I did.It really is a fantastic little place to walk through,even with children.Get the tourist bus outside the station and get off by the river and just wander around for a bit.
The view of the cathedral when you get there is absolutely stunning,and we only looked at it from the outside.
Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 21:26 - Dec 16 with 3068 views1MoreBrightonR

Loved Rome... So so many sites. Food was a bit hit and miss and touristy. Agree, trastavere is a great area.
Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 22:07 - Dec 16 with 3012 viewsBoston

I went to Rome to see the Pope, I was third up, behind the Vienna Boys Choir and Tottenham Hostspur.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 22:15 - Dec 16 with 3001 viewsLblock

Quite liked Rome when I went - loads to see and do.

Unfortunately, a complete stitch up by a cab driver and a really bad hotel spoilt it for me.
Went in December and it was bloody cold.

Have your wits abut you as you should everywhere these days
Not too sure that particular travel party ensures a restful break though....!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Login to get fewer ads

Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 01:31 - Dec 17 with 2907 viewssmegma

Look up Bocca Della Verita, made famous by Audrey Hepburn in the film Roman Holiday. A quirky tourist attraction that I don't think Harry Redknapp should visit.
Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 02:49 - Dec 17 with 2895 viewsSydneyRs

Admittedly it was a long time ago but I did Rome and Florence and found Rome far more enjoyable. Florence is undeniably beautiful but the main square area was rammed with tourists following around guides with little coloured flags on sticks and service was rude (I know, far from uncommon in Italy) in the places we visited.

Loved Rome. The vatican is amazing and there is so much to see. We were warned about pickpockets etc but no issues at all. Usual rules apply, no expensive bling, wallets in back pockets etc.
Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 02:51 - Dec 17 with 2894 viewsSydneyRs

Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 01:31 - Dec 17 by smegma

Look up Bocca Della Verita, made famous by Audrey Hepburn in the film Roman Holiday. A quirky tourist attraction that I don't think Harry Redknapp should visit.

My wife was obsessed with finding this because of that movie when we were there. It wasn't the easiest thing to locate in pre google maps days but we eventually got there and had a nice touristy photo to keep. These things have to be done.
Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 04:47 - Dec 17 with 2872 viewssmegma

Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 02:51 - Dec 17 by SydneyRs

My wife was obsessed with finding this because of that movie when we were there. It wasn't the easiest thing to locate in pre google maps days but we eventually got there and had a nice touristy photo to keep. These things have to be done.

I did it 20 years ago and we were the only ones there . A friend went earlier this year and said they had to queue for about 45 minutes ??!!!
Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 10:06 - Dec 17 with 2761 viewswestberksr

done Rome a couple of times and find it too busy, dirty and can't walk more than 5 yards near the main sites without someone trying to sell you a selfie stick or umberella (depending on the weather)

might be ok at that time of the year but like Clive, I also preferred Florence. Rome holds the trump card in terms of number of sites and attractions but other than that i'm not too keen.
Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 10:32 - Dec 17 with 2748 viewshopphoops

Going with young children and older people can be the best way to visit Rome in fact - it shows the locals you are like them. Romans are bewitched by babies and toddlers, it's bizarre.

Do you know where you are staying? If not, try not to be too close to Termini station which is all a bit youth-hostelly. If you can stay anywhere in the historic centre (vaguely around Piazza Navona or Largo Argentina), or in Monti, that would be perfect, but other neighbourhoods are all charming too.

I would think less about seeing sites and more about long lunches in local pizzerie while the manageress shows your boy how to make pizza, that sort of thing.

If you go to the Vatican, skip the Museums and Sistine Chapel and just go in the basilica itself (free, no queues). Don't miss the Pantheon. Taking the lift to the top of the wedding cake in Piazza Venezia is worth it for the view.

Don't try to do too much and you'll have a wonderful time.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 10:51 - Dec 17 with 2730 viewsMetallica_Hoop

The view from the top of Saint Peter's is stunning.

Looking down the people look like ants.

Don't go for a 'private' audience with the Pope.
I got dragged to that and it was JPII speaking in about 90 languages and every time he said 'Hi' to a group all these nuns would simultaneously Orgasm and throw themselves into the air with much noise.

I loved the Colosseum, we got there early though.

Naples/Amalfi Coast is more fun. I've been to Pompeii/Capri and Herculaneum twice and loved every minute of it.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 11:02 - Dec 17 with 2718 viewsJuzzie

Thanks all! I'll mention Florence but I have a feeling it'll be Rome or nothing!

Late booking not an issue as my missus knows someone who's in this business. Currently got us flights and a two room hotel (no idea where but knowing him it will be good) for around £880. Might be able to get it cheaper if we're happy to all bunk up in one room, which is not a problem for me.

I went to Sorrento/Amalfi coast/Pompeii/Ischia/Capri about 20 years ago, very nice.
Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 11:31 - Dec 17 with 2685 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I think Italy is my favourite country after here.
Despite the widespread corruption that appears endemic it has wonderful sites, Cities, food and history and a nice climate.
Rome is great in that you can cover it all (except perhaps the Vatican which is a bit out of the way) on foot. Loads of history to see and I would have thought more interesting for kids than Florence. Florence has more culture but Rome has more big hitting attractions for kids in my opinion. I also found it less expensive than Milan which was ridiculously so.
Have a great time.
Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 11:56 - Dec 17 with 2645 viewsHantsR

One little tip I remember from a few years ago is not to join the long queue for tickets at the Colosseum but to get a combined ticket for Forum/ Palatine/ Colosseum from the Forum ticket office where the queue is much shorter. Worth considering.

Historic relics everywhere but not always signposted or well maintained.

Pantheon and Trajan column are incredible, also worth taking the bus to the catacombs.
Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 12:22 - Dec 17 with 2625 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 11:02 - Dec 17 by Juzzie

Thanks all! I'll mention Florence but I have a feeling it'll be Rome or nothing!

Late booking not an issue as my missus knows someone who's in this business. Currently got us flights and a two room hotel (no idea where but knowing him it will be good) for around £880. Might be able to get it cheaper if we're happy to all bunk up in one room, which is not a problem for me.

I went to Sorrento/Amalfi coast/Pompeii/Ischia/Capri about 20 years ago, very nice.

Yes, I went to Sorrento a couple of years back. Great location as you have the Amalfi coast to explore plus Vesuvius, Pompei and Herculaneum all close by.
Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 12:31 - Dec 17 with 2603 viewspaesanu

If your boy is an early riser like mine was, we went to the Spanish Steps and the Fountain before the hoards arrived after their breakfast. Lovely.

Pantheon is impressive inside and out, but the real treat was a few minutes away - St. Ignatius of Loyola Catholic Church. You can google it to see why its incredible, but it's just better as the real thing.

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 12:45 - Dec 17 with 2592 viewsKonk

Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 12:31 - Dec 17 by paesanu

If your boy is an early riser like mine was, we went to the Spanish Steps and the Fountain before the hoards arrived after their breakfast. Lovely.

Pantheon is impressive inside and out, but the real treat was a few minutes away - St. Ignatius of Loyola Catholic Church. You can google it to see why its incredible, but it's just better as the real thing.

I loved Rome, but my wife wasn’t that impressed; probably because she has no interest in Ancient Rome, whereas I was obsessed with it as a kid. The Pantheon is probably the only time I have ever been genuinely stunned by a building. Personally, I might be tempted to leave Rome for a few years until your kids get more out of it, and go to somewhere more compact with less walking involved, such as Bologna, Florence or a Verona/Padua trip. Even Naples. Still beautiful cities to wander around, but less of a slog in what be cold and wet weather.

We stayed in Trastevere, which was a really good neighbourhood for our requirements: good local restaurants and a few nice bars. Taxi drivers - 2 ‘forgot’ to turn the meter on, which resulted in two great arguments in my GCSE Italian, one driver getting a token payment and the other one getting nothing. Other than that, the usual applies re pickpockets etc.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 14:10 - Dec 17 with 2520 viewsJuzzie

My boy is an early riser at weekends and dead to the world Monday-Friday mornings... how do they do it!!

Though I'd love to go, the trip is more for my missus and the mum-in-law. The latter has never seen parts of Europe other than England and even then that's just been at ours.

As she's flying in this weekend to stay with us for 6 weeks, I was even thinking about staying at home with my boy and letting the girls (three generations!) go on the trip.
Rome .... thoughts/advice etc. on 14:12 - Jan 2 with 2189 viewsJuzzie

I slept through New Years Eve and up at 2am to do the last bits of packing etc then took them to Gatwick. Back home for 6am then sleeeeeep.

Up at 10am and the silence was bliss, even the cat was happy.

Did some laundry, played PS4, bit more laundry, played PS4, watched the Villa stream, more PS4, ordered a curry to be delivered, more PS4, ate curry and had a beer, more PS4, then bed.

They're back Friday evening (landing around 10.15pm) so although I'm now back at work I can have a couple of peaceful evenings.

I gave them a list based on the advice on here and we'll see how it goes. She facetimed me yesterday and said that it was nice but a lot dirtier than she thought and that she's never going away again without me! Apparently our 4 year old has been a handful but it was a long day for him having been up sine 3am so I'm hoping he's been better today.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024