Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can Manning play on Tuesday... 11:01 - Dec 30 with 5024 viewsdavman

... If we choose to recall him? I would have thought we would have heard by now if he was coming back...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 12:04 - Dec 30 with 2880 viewsPinnerPaul

OBSESSION

the state of being obsessed with someone or something.
Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 13:06 - Dec 30 with 2773 viewsqprd

steve McLaren said in the post match comments that the reason we were so poor in the first half is bc cousins and scowen had not played together as a midfield 2 and needed time to gel

steve McLaren has also been very reluctant to change the squad

do you really think that McLaren is going to drop manning into a difficult match having not practiced with any of these players for 4 months? that's just setting him up to fail

moreover, ryan manning is not the answer. hes very similar to scowen, but with less positional discipline- niggly, presses, runs around and can break up play. but his short passing is worse, he shows for the ball even less than scowen does, so he doesn't solve the problem that was exposed yesterday. he can play a good cross from the left and also slip a decent weighted ball down the left channel, and has the odd goal in him... but hes not an adequate replacement for luongo (at least not yet)
Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 13:08 - Dec 30 with 2764 viewsPinnerPaul

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 13:06 - Dec 30 by qprd

steve McLaren said in the post match comments that the reason we were so poor in the first half is bc cousins and scowen had not played together as a midfield 2 and needed time to gel

steve McLaren has also been very reluctant to change the squad

do you really think that McLaren is going to drop manning into a difficult match having not practiced with any of these players for 4 months? that's just setting him up to fail

moreover, ryan manning is not the answer. hes very similar to scowen, but with less positional discipline- niggly, presses, runs around and can break up play. but his short passing is worse, he shows for the ball even less than scowen does, so he doesn't solve the problem that was exposed yesterday. he can play a good cross from the left and also slip a decent weighted ball down the left channel, and has the odd goal in him... but hes not an adequate replacement for luongo (at least not yet)

Spot on qprd
Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 13:15 - Dec 30 with 2749 viewsGloucs_R

Is Manning the new messiah? I've read he's been pretty hit and miss at Rotherham

Poll: Are we staying up?

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 13:40 - Dec 30 with 2706 viewsPinnerPaul

I may have been a little harsh in criticising those calling for him, as its really part of the 'player not in the team MUST be better than those that are' syndrome that we see all the time.

No evidence really that Bright would be better than Pav, Chair better than Eze etc long term, but the call for fresh blood is always there, especially after a erm…..non win!
Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 17:02 - Dec 30 with 2491 viewsfrancisbowles

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 13:40 - Dec 30 by PinnerPaul

I may have been a little harsh in criticising those calling for him, as its really part of the 'player not in the team MUST be better than those that are' syndrome that we see all the time.

No evidence really that Bright would be better than Pav, Chair better than Eze etc long term, but the call for fresh blood is always there, especially after a erm…..non win!

Agree and Pav is more experienced and has probably had extensive coaching on the defensive side of his game, which has improved albeit was absent for the first half or more yesterday. He did improve as the game went on, as did Eze and Cousins.

BOS doesn't have that experience and is probably not going to be as good defensively as Pav yet.

Unless Pav is excessively fatigued, I wouldn't think it a good idea to change them now whilst we are absorbing other enforced changes to the side.
Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 18:46 - Dec 30 with 2358 viewsBoston

Manning is a League 1 player.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 19:08 - Dec 30 with 2309 viewsNorthernr

If Scowen had been sent off yesterday when he easily could have been we'd have been staring down the barrel of Aston Villa with Jordan Cousins and.... well... who in midfield? Whatever you think of him, a recall makes sense while the squad is stretched.
Login to get fewer ads

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 19:49 - Dec 30 with 2225 viewsdavman

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 19:08 - Dec 30 by Northernr

If Scowen had been sent off yesterday when he easily could have been we'd have been staring down the barrel of Aston Villa with Jordan Cousins and.... well... who in midfield? Whatever you think of him, a recall makes sense while the squad is stretched.

Exactly my point in the other thread about the "crisis", which isn't quite one yet, but is one injury away from being one.

If Manning was loaned out to free money up, then surely it would make sense to send Kakay and Smyth out on loan and maybe send Hemed back (if we can do it) to get Ryan back.

We are a little short in central Midfield all of a sudden...

Can we go out yet?

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 21:48 - Dec 30 with 2094 viewsWatford_Ranger

Totally understand not throwing him straight into team, though personally I would. Literally no justification at all for not recalling him ASAP.

A central midfielder who can pass a football and tackle a bit. BURN HIM.

Also apparently takes a great set piece which we’ve rarely seen as Freeman is so good. Manning is the nearest thing we have to a like for like replacement if he’s injured/knackered/Middlesbroughed.
Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 21:52 - Dec 30 with 2086 viewsdanehoop

And yet he can't hold down a regular starting place in the Rotherham side at the moment. We probably do need him back, but he isn't the new Messiah or Messi as some on here seem to think. A squad player at best at the moment.

Never knowingly understood

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 21:59 - Dec 30 with 2074 viewsWatford_Ranger

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 21:52 - Dec 30 by danehoop

And yet he can't hold down a regular starting place in the Rotherham side at the moment. We probably do need him back, but he isn't the new Messiah or Messi as some on here seem to think. A squad player at best at the moment.

Only one Rotherham fan’s opinion but he splits opinion there I’m told. Great passing and set pieces but doesn’t get stuck in enough as is the “Rotherham way”, which isn’t the impression I got seeing him for us.

Would he be a valid option when the alternatives are any two of Scowen/Cousins/Hall (lol)/Goss (lolololol)/youth option? Yes for me.
Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 22:06 - Dec 30 with 2072 viewsmcqpr10

He has to be recalled now. Cousins is not good enough on the ball for centre midfield. Manning can pick a pass, and has a lovely left foot. And obviously any more injuries or suspensions in that position will see us struggling.
Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 22:39 - Dec 30 with 2019 viewsdavman

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 21:52 - Dec 30 by danehoop

Nope, not the messiah, but a useful squad player and the squad is very short of central midfielders...

Obsessed; me?

Never...

Can we go out yet?

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 22:45 - Dec 30 with 2000 viewsoldmisery

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 22:06 - Dec 30 by mcqpr10

He has to be recalled now. Cousins is not good enough on the ball for centre midfield. Manning can pick a pass, and has a lovely left foot. And obviously any more injuries or suspensions in that position will see us struggling.

I would also advocate a recall. I'm no fan of Cousins but can see the sense of giving him a run in the side given Luongo's absence, Cameron's injury and Hall's frailties.
However, we are an injury or suspension away from a very difficult situation so it seems a no brainer. I say get him back and put him on the bench asap.
Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 23:05 - Dec 30 with 1960 viewsdaveB

I don't think anyone has said Manning is the new messiah, he's just a very good option to have for us when we are limited in midfield at the moment.
Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 23:09 - Dec 30 with 1959 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 23:05 - Dec 30 by daveB

I don't think anyone has said Manning is the new messiah, he's just a very good option to have for us when we are limited in midfield at the moment.

Yeah. If Eze is in need of a rest as some are suggesting. How about Manning on the left and move Freeman inside?

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 23:47 - Dec 30 with 1907 viewsHooparoo

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 23:09 - Dec 30 by CliveWilsonSaid

Yeah. If Eze is in need of a rest as some are suggesting. How about Manning on the left and move Freeman inside?

Agree Eze is due for a rest but BOS probably a better bet on the left. Sets us up better for counter attack in transition.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2018 23:48]

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 23:52 - Dec 30 with 1897 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 23:47 - Dec 30 by Hooparoo

Agree Eze is due for a rest but BOS probably a better bet on the left. Sets us up better for counter attack in transition.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2018 23:48]

Both BOS and Manning are good contrasting options to have. I'd rather have Manning in for Villa personally.

McClaren will no doubt stick with the same team until they seriously let him down. Which they haven't done since West Brom.

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 23:59 - Dec 30 with 1887 viewsdavman

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 23:09 - Dec 30 by CliveWilsonSaid

Can't trust Freeman as one of a two. We need two ball winners in there to play this formation...

It is why it has to be Cousins and Scowen with no current back up...

Can we go out yet?

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 00:02 - Dec 31 with 1876 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 23:59 - Dec 30 by davman

Can't trust Freeman as one of a two. We need two ball winners in there to play this formation...

Yes agreed. I meant Freeman in for Eze.

Keep Cousins and Scowen.

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 00:06 - Dec 31 with 1864 viewsTacticalR

Can we pack Manning off to the Asian Cup and recall Luongo? Surely nobody would mind.

Air hostess clique

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 00:15 - Dec 31 with 1857 viewsHooparoo

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 00:06 - Dec 31 by TacticalR

Can we pack Manning off to the Asian Cup and recall Luongo? Surely nobody would mind.

The Irish accent might be a giveaway😉

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 00:32 - Dec 31 with 1833 viewsqprd

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 23:59 - Dec 30 by davman

hmm, im not sure i agree with this, given cameron isnt a ball-winning midfielder... he played more as a shield to the centrebacks

freeman played central mid in his first half season with us, and his ball-winning stats (tackles and interceptions) are surprisingly good

i dont think its that useful to get bogged down in ball winning midfielders, etc. luongo, scowen, cameron and cousins have all played in the midfield 2 and theyre all different players (with scowen and cousins prob the most similar)

ultimately, its just about getting the balance right between defending and retaining the ball in midfield. i think you could get that with freeman/scowen

in any event, i would recall manning for squad depth, but i wouldnt chuck him in yet. and i would try to loan him out again in january.

he needs to learn a steady position, and thats not going to happen at qpr with the midfielders currently ahead of him
Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 00:45 - Dec 31 with 1826 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Can Manning play on Tuesday... on 13:15 - Dec 30 by Gloucs_R

Is Manning the new messiah? I've read he's been pretty hit and miss at Rotherham

No I'm led to believe that's Ole Solsjaer
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024