Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our country is fckd match thread 20:04 - Jan 15 with 202388 viewsBlackCrowe

On one side we have a spineless and rudderless government full of self-serving narcissistic cnts utterly divided.

On the other side we have spineless and rudderless opposition full of self-serving narcissistic cnts utterly divided.

Can someone please show us a third way beyond flipping Vince. Failing a Chuka et al third way then Disco, you're the man no to save us from jezwecan, Diane, Sneery Emily and McDonnell no?
[Post edited 15 Jan 2019 20:05]

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Our country is fckd match thread on 19:18 - Mar 31 with 2398 viewsQPR_John

Our country is fckd match thread on 18:21 - Mar 31 by nix

I agree with you Watford. There are a lot of people who have been convinced that leaving the EU will lead to a Nirvana where they feel suddenly important again in their own lives and on the world stage. Whereas in fact we will all be at the mercy of the countries we will desperately trying to get trade deals with; instead of being a senior member of a powerful trading block, we will be a sideline whose industries will increasingly be poached by our neighbours. Meanwhile at a personal level, with Labour in disarray, the Tories will be able to increasingly ignore the lower classes and the lower middle classes, with no safeguards provided by EU working directives, to prioritise their friends in business and private wealth funds.

I'm not going to be affected by this as I'm self employed, but I don't want to see it happen to others, including my children.

As for the narrative that Remainers try to use additional education to try to manipulate the argument and put down leavers, where do you think the main Leave architects were educated: Gove (private school), Johnson ( Eton, public school), Rees Mogg (Eton, public school), Farage (Dulwich College, private school)? They are not protecting the interests of the working classes. They are only interested in their own concerns. And they know they will be able to move their business interests to EU locations so will be unaffected by downturns in the UK economy (e.g. Rees Mogg moving his fund to Ireland). And Farage's children have German passports so will be unaffected by end of free movement.

It is not the EU that have ignored the working classes but successive UK governments, who've allowed pension funds to be plundered, zero hours contracts to proliferate and nationalised industries to be sold off to overseas companies, while cutting benefits to the bone.

Its about time the working class got the vote then things will change
Our country is fckd match thread on 19:31 - Mar 31 with 2361 views2Thomas2Bowles

Our country is fckd match thread on 18:21 - Mar 31 by nix

I agree with you Watford. There are a lot of people who have been convinced that leaving the EU will lead to a Nirvana where they feel suddenly important again in their own lives and on the world stage. Whereas in fact we will all be at the mercy of the countries we will desperately trying to get trade deals with; instead of being a senior member of a powerful trading block, we will be a sideline whose industries will increasingly be poached by our neighbours. Meanwhile at a personal level, with Labour in disarray, the Tories will be able to increasingly ignore the lower classes and the lower middle classes, with no safeguards provided by EU working directives, to prioritise their friends in business and private wealth funds.

I'm not going to be affected by this as I'm self employed, but I don't want to see it happen to others, including my children.

As for the narrative that Remainers try to use additional education to try to manipulate the argument and put down leavers, where do you think the main Leave architects were educated: Gove (private school), Johnson ( Eton, public school), Rees Mogg (Eton, public school), Farage (Dulwich College, private school)? They are not protecting the interests of the working classes. They are only interested in their own concerns. And they know they will be able to move their business interests to EU locations so will be unaffected by downturns in the UK economy (e.g. Rees Mogg moving his fund to Ireland). And Farage's children have German passports so will be unaffected by end of free movement.

It is not the EU that have ignored the working classes but successive UK governments, who've allowed pension funds to be plundered, zero hours contracts to proliferate and nationalised industries to be sold off to overseas companies, while cutting benefits to the bone.

Cost. The costs of EU membership to the UK is £15bn gross (0.06% of GDP) — or £6.883 billion net. See UK government spending. (UKIP claim that the cost of EU membership in total amounts to £83bn gross if you include all possible costs, such as an ‘estimated’ £48bn of regulation costs — or £1,380 per head [1]. The ONS has estimated a net contribution cost of £7.1 bn. See actual cost of EU membership
Inefficient policies. A large percentage (40%) of EU spending goes on the Common Agricultural Policy. For many years this distorted agricultural markets by placing minimum prices on food. This lead to higher prices for consumers and encouraging over-supply. Reforms to CAP have reduced, but not eliminated this wastage. A significant existing problem with CAP is that it has rewarded large land-owners, with little reflection of social benefit. See: Transfer of funds from poor to rich landowners (Guardian) Though the UK is guilty of rejecting limit on CAP

Problems of the Euro. Membership of the EU doesn’t necessarily mean membership of the Euro. But, the EU has placed great emphasis on the single currency. However, it has proved to have many problems and contributed to low rates of economic growth and high unemployment across the EU. Fortunately, the UK stayed out of the Euro.

Pressure towards austerity. Since 2008, many southern European countries have faced pressure from the EU to pursue austerity — spending cuts to meet budget deficit targets, but in the middle of a recession these austerity measures have contributed to prolonged economic stagnation. In particular, Greece was forced by its creditors to accept austerity, when some economists have argued this is counter-productive.

Net migration. Free movement of labour has caused problems of overcrowding in some UK cities. The UK’s population is set to rise to 70 million over the next decade, partly due to immigration (of which 50% is from EU and 50% from non-EU). Immigration has helped to push up house prices and led to congestion on roads. (See: immigration and housing) The concern is that in the EU, the UK is powerless to place a limit on immigration from Eastern Europe because free movement of labour is a cornerstone of the EU. See: Impact of immigration on UK economy

More bureaucracy less democracy. It is argued that the EU has created extra layers of bureaucracy while taking away the decision-making process further from local communities. For example, the British Chambers of Commerce has estimated that the annual cost to the UK of EU regulation is £7.4bn. The introduction of Qualified majority voting (QMV) means that on many decisions votes can be taken against the public interest of a particular country.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2019 19:33]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Our country is fckd match thread on 20:57 - Mar 31 with 2271 viewsnix

Our country is fckd match thread on 19:31 - Mar 31 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Cost. The costs of EU membership to the UK is £15bn gross (0.06% of GDP) — or £6.883 billion net. See UK government spending. (UKIP claim that the cost of EU membership in total amounts to £83bn gross if you include all possible costs, such as an ‘estimated’ £48bn of regulation costs — or £1,380 per head [1]. The ONS has estimated a net contribution cost of £7.1 bn. See actual cost of EU membership
Inefficient policies. A large percentage (40%) of EU spending goes on the Common Agricultural Policy. For many years this distorted agricultural markets by placing minimum prices on food. This lead to higher prices for consumers and encouraging over-supply. Reforms to CAP have reduced, but not eliminated this wastage. A significant existing problem with CAP is that it has rewarded large land-owners, with little reflection of social benefit. See: Transfer of funds from poor to rich landowners (Guardian) Though the UK is guilty of rejecting limit on CAP

Problems of the Euro. Membership of the EU doesn’t necessarily mean membership of the Euro. But, the EU has placed great emphasis on the single currency. However, it has proved to have many problems and contributed to low rates of economic growth and high unemployment across the EU. Fortunately, the UK stayed out of the Euro.

Pressure towards austerity. Since 2008, many southern European countries have faced pressure from the EU to pursue austerity — spending cuts to meet budget deficit targets, but in the middle of a recession these austerity measures have contributed to prolonged economic stagnation. In particular, Greece was forced by its creditors to accept austerity, when some economists have argued this is counter-productive.

Net migration. Free movement of labour has caused problems of overcrowding in some UK cities. The UK’s population is set to rise to 70 million over the next decade, partly due to immigration (of which 50% is from EU and 50% from non-EU). Immigration has helped to push up house prices and led to congestion on roads. (See: immigration and housing) The concern is that in the EU, the UK is powerless to place a limit on immigration from Eastern Europe because free movement of labour is a cornerstone of the EU. See: Impact of immigration on UK economy

More bureaucracy less democracy. It is argued that the EU has created extra layers of bureaucracy while taking away the decision-making process further from local communities. For example, the British Chambers of Commerce has estimated that the annual cost to the UK of EU regulation is £7.4bn. The introduction of Qualified majority voting (QMV) means that on many decisions votes can be taken against the public interest of a particular country.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2019 19:33]

If you are actually using UKIP figures as your information source, then I don't think I can trust anything you say. That's like relying on the FSB to provide a critique of the UK investigation of the Salisbury poisonings.

CAP has indeed been problematic. No one is saying that the EU has no issues. The question is whether it is better overall for the UK than being separate.

Regulation is not in itself a bad thing though it is often presented as such. Regulation includes animal welfare standards, which is in itself a good thing in my view, but also prevents issues such as foot and mouth which can affect all the farming. Regulation provides safety standards for all kinds of products. It protects building workers from dangerous practices and doctors from working such long hours they make mistakes. EU competition law prevents power being concentrated in the hands of fewer and fewer companies and therefore protects consumers.

We are not in the Euro so all your points about being forced into austerity don't apply to us. If anything it was the US anti-regulation which partly led to the banking crisis and our forced austerity.

Greece's problems were largely caused by their lying about their economic situation in order to join the Euro. Goldman Sachs (another US bank) collaborated with Greece to fraudulently misrepresent their level of budget deficit when they entered the Euro.

I'm not surprised the immigration question as come up as to why people voted Leave. As you yourself admit 50% of immigration is non-EU anyway. People want to come here because we're prosperous. So leaving the EU may mean we have less economic immigration partly because we're no longer an attractive prospect as our economy will be screwed. Most of our immigrants work, only 2% claim job seeking benefits, so they are financial contributors. Immigrants often do the jobs that are perfectly respectable but that native workers don't want to do. How many carers and cleaners in London are British (clue, not very many). Also fruit pickers and similar seasonal workers are overseas workers. You might want to just parachute them in and get rid of them when they've done their bit. I personally think that's unethical.

Many of our doctors, nurses and healthcare assistants come from the EU. Applications from nurses have plummeted since Brexit. People don't feel welcome anymore. How much is it going to cost to train all these staff as all our doctors and nurses are sodding off to Australia, the US and Canada,

David Lammy has suggested that the countries that want to trade with us will do so in exchange for visas, so we may well end up with more immigration in any case.

Anyway, we can argue until we're slitting our wrists. You will find arguments that support your position. I will find arguments that support mine. But no one can say that this issue has united the country. It has disastrously divided it. And all the names Remainers have been called and the 'just accept the vote, end of' haven't helped either. I believe it will eventually go through, and it will end by causing a big downturn for this country. You will have got what you want, but I and my children will have to pay the price for it too. And that's what p***es me of.
Our country is fckd match thread on 21:08 - Mar 31 with 2257 views2Thomas2Bowles

Our country is fckd match thread on 20:57 - Mar 31 by nix

If you are actually using UKIP figures as your information source, then I don't think I can trust anything you say. That's like relying on the FSB to provide a critique of the UK investigation of the Salisbury poisonings.

CAP has indeed been problematic. No one is saying that the EU has no issues. The question is whether it is better overall for the UK than being separate.

Regulation is not in itself a bad thing though it is often presented as such. Regulation includes animal welfare standards, which is in itself a good thing in my view, but also prevents issues such as foot and mouth which can affect all the farming. Regulation provides safety standards for all kinds of products. It protects building workers from dangerous practices and doctors from working such long hours they make mistakes. EU competition law prevents power being concentrated in the hands of fewer and fewer companies and therefore protects consumers.

We are not in the Euro so all your points about being forced into austerity don't apply to us. If anything it was the US anti-regulation which partly led to the banking crisis and our forced austerity.

Greece's problems were largely caused by their lying about their economic situation in order to join the Euro. Goldman Sachs (another US bank) collaborated with Greece to fraudulently misrepresent their level of budget deficit when they entered the Euro.

I'm not surprised the immigration question as come up as to why people voted Leave. As you yourself admit 50% of immigration is non-EU anyway. People want to come here because we're prosperous. So leaving the EU may mean we have less economic immigration partly because we're no longer an attractive prospect as our economy will be screwed. Most of our immigrants work, only 2% claim job seeking benefits, so they are financial contributors. Immigrants often do the jobs that are perfectly respectable but that native workers don't want to do. How many carers and cleaners in London are British (clue, not very many). Also fruit pickers and similar seasonal workers are overseas workers. You might want to just parachute them in and get rid of them when they've done their bit. I personally think that's unethical.

Many of our doctors, nurses and healthcare assistants come from the EU. Applications from nurses have plummeted since Brexit. People don't feel welcome anymore. How much is it going to cost to train all these staff as all our doctors and nurses are sodding off to Australia, the US and Canada,

David Lammy has suggested that the countries that want to trade with us will do so in exchange for visas, so we may well end up with more immigration in any case.

Anyway, we can argue until we're slitting our wrists. You will find arguments that support your position. I will find arguments that support mine. But no one can say that this issue has united the country. It has disastrously divided it. And all the names Remainers have been called and the 'just accept the vote, end of' haven't helped either. I believe it will eventually go through, and it will end by causing a big downturn for this country. You will have got what you want, but I and my children will have to pay the price for it too. And that's what p***es me of.

Short answer economics.org

I've never had any interest in UKIP, I've never supported them in any way so I don't know why you made the poor assumption.

Doctors and nurses are sodding off to Australia, the US and Canada,

Not the EU then. why is that? maybe they see life better outside the EU.
Counties the EU don't want us to trade with.

Maybe we should be looking after Commonwealth counties and their people's much better.

[Post edited 31 Mar 2019 21:29]

Our country is fckd match thread on 21:42 - Mar 31 with 2225 viewsnix

Our country is fckd match thread on 21:08 - Mar 31 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Short answer economics.org

I've never had any interest in UKIP, I've never supported them in any way so I don't know why you made the poor assumption.

Doctors and nurses are sodding off to Australia, the US and Canada,

Not the EU then. why is that? maybe they see life better outside the EU.
Counties the EU don't want us to trade with.

Maybe we should be looking after Commonwealth counties and their people's much better.

[Post edited 31 Mar 2019 21:29]

You quoted UKIP. No assumption, poor or otherwise.

I assume they go to Australia or Canada because of the common language, not because they don't like France or Spain (!). Anyway, it doesn't address my points about who's going to staff our hospitals or do the jobs no one else wants to do.

I don't know what you mean about looking after commonwealth countries better. Do you mean sending our doctors to extremely wealthy first world countries when they cost £250,000 each to train? I'd prefer to keep them here but if not I'm grateful to any EU doctors that are happy to work here and look after our sick people.
Our country is fckd match thread on 22:03 - Mar 31 with 2209 views2Thomas2Bowles

Our country is fckd match thread on 21:42 - Mar 31 by nix

You quoted UKIP. No assumption, poor or otherwise.

I assume they go to Australia or Canada because of the common language, not because they don't like France or Spain (!). Anyway, it doesn't address my points about who's going to staff our hospitals or do the jobs no one else wants to do.

I don't know what you mean about looking after commonwealth countries better. Do you mean sending our doctors to extremely wealthy first world countries when they cost £250,000 each to train? I'd prefer to keep them here but if not I'm grateful to any EU doctors that are happy to work here and look after our sick people.

I did not quote UKIP I said where that came from but if you're to lazy to go look...

No not send them there but allow them to come here, what have you got against people from our own commonwealth that you would prefer from the EU.

Surely we should want the best doctors and medical staff from anywhere in the world. the EU does not have a monopoly on people with those skills.

Austerity is promoted by the EU and high unemployment something they show little care about.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2019 22:21]

Our country is fckd match thread on 23:03 - Mar 31 with 2135 viewsnix

Our country is fckd match thread on 22:03 - Mar 31 by 2Thomas2Bowles

I did not quote UKIP I said where that came from but if you're to lazy to go look...

No not send them there but allow them to come here, what have you got against people from our own commonwealth that you would prefer from the EU.

Surely we should want the best doctors and medical staff from anywhere in the world. the EU does not have a monopoly on people with those skills.

Austerity is promoted by the EU and high unemployment something they show little care about.

If you use a piece of information to support your case, then you're quoting it. If you just happened to put it in and it's not supposed to support your argument, then it's as misleading as are most of the Leave arguments. A bit like Boris's bus. 'Oh I didn't mean that we would actually spend that money on the NHS. In fact we'll be worse off so it won't be available (as Theresa May said herself, the people voted for pain- I don't remember ANY of them saying that before the referendum).'

Tell me where I said Commonwealth doctors should not come here? Don't make things up.

The chances are though they will come from countries poorer than the UK and will leave skills shortages in those countries. Much less likely with German or French doctors.

Austerity is promoted by the Tory party not the EU (the Euro is a different case and I can understand Germany doesn't want to keep bailing out Greece forever when they were allowing their public employees to retire at 52) and whatever the EU says, the Government decide on the budgets. I notice you haven't addressed any of my arguments about regulation, the role of US banks and financial institutions in causing the banking crisis (the film the BIg Short is very good on this) and the financial issues in Greece.

Calling me lazy because I don't want to verify your specious UKIP data is really rich.

Tbh I don't want to keep arguing with you about this because it's a bit pointless. You're determined to see the EU as all bad, whereas I see the flaws but think it's the greater good, for all the reasons I've given and many more, which you could always look up if you wanted to but you don't want to see anything that doesn't support your perspective. And you've clearly got much more time to spend as you're always replying to every Remain supporter who dares to share an opinion ad nauseum. But getting the last word, as you most surely will, does not mean you win the argument or have proven anything other than that you have a great deal more time to spend on it than I do.
Our country is fckd match thread on 02:26 - Apr 1 with 2079 viewsbob566

Our country is fckd match thread on 22:03 - Mar 31 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Sorry mate but the commonwealth aint worth diddley bar australia and canada and for the life of me i cant see either busting a gut to send their medics to the uk. I actually reckon its only a matter of time before canada and oz pull out.
Login to get fewer ads

Our country is fckd match thread on 10:16 - Apr 1 with 2002 viewskropotkin41

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-referendum-eu-2016-beleave-campaign-

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Our country is fckd match thread on 13:23 - Apr 1 with 1946 viewsQPR_John

Our country is fckd match thread on 20:57 - Mar 31 by nix

"Greece's problems were largely caused by their lying about their economic situation in order to join the Euro. Goldman Sachs (another US bank) collaborated with Greece to fraudulently misrepresent their level of budget deficit when they entered the Euro. "

So Brussels are so financially inept that they had no idea what was happening in Greece before allowing then to join the Euro. The truth is Brussels wanted more countries to join the Euro and were prepared to turn a blind eye to any problems.
Our country is fckd match thread on 17:38 - Apr 1 with 1852 viewscolinallcars

Our country is fckd match thread on 19:18 - Mar 31 by QPR_John

Its about time the working class got the vote then things will change

It's Hobson's choice for t'working class. Vote Remain and have unlimited immigration from the EU and worse, future EU countries, to put pressure on housng, jobs ec. Vote Leave and have high immigration from non EU countries to put pressure on housing, jobs ec.
In General Elections being frightened to vote Labour by media stories about commies, reds, traitors ec. Isn't democracy wonderful ?
Our country is fckd match thread on 17:43 - Apr 1 with 1842 viewsnix

Our country is fckd match thread on 13:23 - Apr 1 by QPR_John

"Greece's problems were largely caused by their lying about their economic situation in order to join the Euro. Goldman Sachs (another US bank) collaborated with Greece to fraudulently misrepresent their level of budget deficit when they entered the Euro. "

So Brussels are so financially inept that they had no idea what was happening in Greece before allowing then to join the Euro. The truth is Brussels wanted more countries to join the Euro and were prepared to turn a blind eye to any problems.

If you're a company and you pay an accountant a vast amount of money to do due diligence, you don't get your calculator out and check their figures. The point is they lied about their economy and a US bank colluded with them.

They wouldn't have been allowed to join without this.
Our country is fckd match thread on 18:21 - Apr 1 with 1809 views2Thomas2Bowles

Our country is fckd match thread on 17:38 - Apr 1 by colinallcars

It's Hobson's choice for t'working class. Vote Remain and have unlimited immigration from the EU and worse, future EU countries, to put pressure on housng, jobs ec. Vote Leave and have high immigration from non EU countries to put pressure on housing, jobs ec.
In General Elections being frightened to vote Labour by media stories about commies, reds, traitors ec. Isn't democracy wonderful ?

Immigration is immigration whether it comes from the EU or outside.

Nix thinks I support UKIP even if I'm not a member

But immigration DOES need some control, the EU does this it' self against people outside the EU.

Staying in the EU gives you no control (within) so you are left with discrimination against those from outside the EU to control numbers, no matter who may be of greater value to the UK.

To me the EU is racist, run overwhelmingly by white people for predominantly white Europeans.

Sure we have a lot of doctors and medical staff from the EU but we also have a lot from outside.

My cardiac surgeon is from outside the EU, some of the surgical nurses are also from outside the EU a lot of other hospital staff are also from outside the EU.

I do not accept that the ones from the EU are better or say they are worse.

Now to treat them all the same Which really we should do, we would have to have no borders and no control on anyone or equal controls on all.

I really don't see the problem with that or can someone enlighten me.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2019 18:47]

Our country is fckd match thread on 18:49 - Apr 1 with 1777 viewsQPR_John

Our country is fckd match thread on 17:43 - Apr 1 by nix

If you're a company and you pay an accountant a vast amount of money to do due diligence, you don't get your calculator out and check their figures. The point is they lied about their economy and a US bank colluded with them.

So who did Brussels pay to do due diligence.
Our country is fckd match thread on 22:09 - Apr 1 with 1698 views2Thomas2Bowles

All Indicative's voted down

Our country is fckd match thread on 22:12 - Apr 1 with 1696 viewscolinallcars

This is getting really annoying now. I really thought one of tonights motions would get acceptance by the house. We are a laughing stock.
Our country is fckd match thread on 22:22 - Apr 1 with 1677 views2Thomas2Bowles

Our country is fckd match thread on 22:12 - Apr 1 by colinallcars

This is getting really annoying now. I really thought one of tonights motions would get acceptance by the house. We are a laughing stock.

CU very close

Our country is fckd match thread on 23:01 - Apr 1 with 1631 viewsQPR_John

I've just heard a quote that sums up our MPs perfectly. Every MP wants compromise but no MP wants to compromise.
Our country is fckd match thread on 23:05 - Apr 1 with 1625 viewsdistortR

Our country is fckd match thread on 17:43 - Apr 1 by nix

so the people must suffer.
Our country is fckd match thread on 09:32 - Apr 2 with 1502 viewsnix

Our country is fckd match thread on 18:49 - Apr 1 by QPR_John

So who did Brussels pay to do due diligence.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/greek-debt-crisis-goldman-sachs-
Our country is fckd match thread on 11:59 - Apr 2 with 1453 viewsrunningman75

I have mostly supported Labour all my life but we live in a weird world when I agree with people such as Ken Clarke more than members of the Labour party.
Our country is fckd match thread on 12:05 - Apr 2 with 1447 viewsFDC

Our country is fckd match thread on 11:59 - Apr 2 by runningman75

I have mostly supported Labour all my life but we live in a weird world when I agree with people such as Ken Clarke more than members of the Labour party.

You have to do some impressive gymnastics to present Labour as the problem at this point, but do go on.
Our country is fckd match thread on 12:15 - Apr 2 with 1437 viewsQPR_John

Our country is fckd match thread on 09:32 - Apr 2 by nix

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/greek-debt-crisis-goldman-sachs-

That article suggests Goldman Sachs were working for the Greek government. My point is who was advising Brussels on Greece's financial position.
Our country is fckd match thread on 12:50 - Apr 2 with 1415 viewsrunningman75

Our country is fckd match thread on 12:05 - Apr 2 by FDC

You have to do some impressive gymnastics to present Labour as the problem at this point, but do go on.

Labour is not the problem. The problem are the no deal Tories who make Clarke and Heseltine sound like reasonable people when as a radical student I despised them. Also the Lib Dems and Independants are not playing ball leading the way to no deal.
Our country is fckd match thread on 13:07 - Apr 2 with 1406 views2Thomas2Bowles

Sorry but Labour is complicit in this mess as much as anyone else in playing politics.

Look at their manifesto and ad in that they agree with most of the EU/May deal but vote it down as want a GE or Remain but without admitting it by voting against revoking A50 which pissed off the jocks.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024