Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket 13:47 - Jan 23 with 23757 viewstoboboly

Possible phenomenal year kicking off today with the first test v Windies

I have tickets for the world cup and the ashes, cannot wait!

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Cricket on 18:05 - Jan 26 with 2155 viewsstowmarketrange

Cricket on 01:00 - Jan 26 by flynnbo

Lost 3-0 if I remember correctly although it seemed like a 5-0 series loss due to Viv and the quartet of quicks.

I just googled it and you are right,although it seemed worse at the time.We should’ve won the first 2 tests though which I’d forgotten about.
They also stayed here for 4 months playing loads of games before and during the test series too.0
Cricket on 18:15 - Jan 26 with 2134 viewsCamberleyR

Cricket on 22:13 - Jan 25 by stowmarketrange

Didn’t we lose 5-0 in that series in 1976?All they got were bruises.

3-0
We managed to draw the first two tests and actually did have the better of the 2nd test at Lord's where bizarrely in that hot summer, rain thwarted us when they were 6 down in the second dig needing another 80. They battered us in the 3rd test, 4th test was another close affair and then the Oval test; Viv Richards 291, WI nearly 700, Michael Holding 14 wickets on the flattest of pitches with only Amiss's 200 in the first innings offering any resistance. If you can get hold of a copy, the book 'Grovel' by David Tossell is well worth a read telling the story of that summer.

The 1984 series was the 5-0 blackwash.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2019 18:17]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Cricket on 18:45 - Jan 26 with 2100 viewsflynnbo

Moeen Ali-why? Whole team has produced an appalling batting performance apart from Burns. Arrogant.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2019 19:22]
Cricket on 20:18 - Jan 26 with 2024 viewsSteveB

Cricket on 18:45 - Jan 26 by flynnbo

Moeen Ali-why? Whole team has produced an appalling batting performance apart from Burns. Arrogant.

His approach to batting makes me want to punch his face in.
Cricket on 09:39 - Jan 27 with 1935 viewstoboboly

Root says poor prep and team selection weren’t factors and it was the first innings that let us down. Hmmmm, no sht Sherlock, however better prep may have helped there...

Cricket on 10:09 - Jan 27 with 1917 viewsjohnhoop

Cricket on 09:39 - Jan 27 by toboboly

Root says poor prep and team selection weren’t factors and it was the first innings that let us down. Hmmmm, no sht Sherlock, however better prep may have helped there...

So he’s actually implying that he thought the second innings surrender to a part time spinner was ok? If he actually admitted we were totally outclassed and that we sometimes need to get our heads down and not give our wickets away when all we can do is try not to get beaten, then I might have a bit more respect for him.
Cricket on 10:32 - Jan 27 with 1901 viewsnix

Cricket on 10:09 - Jan 27 by johnhoop

So he’s actually implying that he thought the second innings surrender to a part time spinner was ok? If he actually admitted we were totally outclassed and that we sometimes need to get our heads down and not give our wickets away when all we can do is try not to get beaten, then I might have a bit more respect for him.

In fairness he's actually trying to take responsibility by saying we can't blame the selection or prep, but they just didn't play to their potential. Although I do wonder if they underestimated the opposition and thought they'd have an easier ride out there.
Cricket on 10:43 - Jan 27 with 1889 viewsted_hendrix

In essence a load of waffle, England were a very poor second best in every department and were well and truly battered.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Login to get fewer ads

Cricket on 23:52 - Jan 27 with 1795 viewsacricketer

Royston Chase. 8-60. In the pantheon of greatest all time test wicket performances. You're 'avin a larf!

Disgraceful from England and another nail in the coffin for Test cricket.
Cricket on 00:33 - Jan 28 with 1780 viewsqprd

Cricket on 18:45 - Jan 26 by flynnbo

to be fair, england really only have one international standard batsman in root, whose been out of form

keaton jennings has consistently been useless, yet england cant find a single batsmen better than him? ben stokes bats 5th FFS. moeen ali had batted third at times! bairstow batting third .. the top of the order is pretty poor, which has somewhat been covered by the strength of the tail

as a non england supporter, i wouldnt despair too much bc all your all arounders make you the favourites for the world cup
Cricket on 11:14 - Jan 28 with 1711 viewsTheChef

Cricket on 23:52 - Jan 27 by acricketer

Royston Chase. 8-60. In the pantheon of greatest all time test wicket performances. You're 'avin a larf!

Disgraceful from England and another nail in the coffin for Test cricket.

"Disgraceful from England and another nail in the coffin for Test cricket."

Why is it another nail in the coffin?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Cricket on 15:41 - Jan 28 with 1674 viewsstowmarketrange

Cricket on 15:27 - Jan 23 by stowmarketrange

I’ve got all 5 days at the Oval plus I’ve applied for all 5 at lords.No doubt i’ll Get day 5 then.
I didn’t bother with the World Cup too much as I’d applied to be a volunteer steward at lords and the oval but I forgot about the interview date.

How right was I?Applied for all 5 days at lords and got day 5.kunce.no doubt all the tickets for other days are on viagogo already.
Cricket on 15:43 - Jan 28 with 1670 viewsBlackCrowe

Cricket on 15:41 - Jan 28 by stowmarketrange

How right was I?Applied for all 5 days at lords and got day 5.kunce.no doubt all the tickets for other days are on viagogo already.

Same. Day 5 Compton Upper. Will be doing a rain dance on days 1 and 2.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Cricket on 15:38 - Jan 31 with 1580 viewshopphoops

We're off again! And England klapsing again...

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Cricket on 15:47 - Jan 31 with 1566 viewsNov77

Calypso collapso

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Cricket on 15:50 - Jan 31 with 1565 viewstoboboly

62-4

This is pathetic

Cricket on 16:53 - Jan 31 with 1523 viewsted_hendrix

81-5, maybe we're not as good as some people think we are.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Cricket on 16:57 - Jan 31 with 1514 viewsacricketer

The wicket is favouring the bowlers. Let's see how thw WIs bat before condemning.
Cricket on 17:01 - Jan 31 with 1505 viewsloftus77

Nothing really wrong with our bowling and fielding - never has been.

But to learn to bat well over long periods requires discipline and technical dedication from an early age of playing - something which, solely due to the English climate (unique amongst Test playing nations) , we are not capable of now the Rest of the World has long since caught up. End of. IMHO.

As the late, great, Trevor Bailey used to say, "space and climate, space and climate..."

And I'd think he'd know.
Cricket on 17:09 - Jan 31 with 1484 viewsMrSheen

Cricket on 16:57 - Jan 31 by acricketer

The wicket is favouring the bowlers. Let's see how thw WIs bat before condemning.

The betting line on cricinfo has both teams at evens to win, which is a bit surprising, to say the least.

WIndies now 8/11, England 11/8, which still seems strange.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2019 17:11]
Cricket on 17:12 - Jan 31 with 1475 viewsacricketer

Cricket on 17:09 - Jan 31 by MrSheen

The betting line on cricinfo has both teams at evens to win, which is a bit surprising, to say the least.

WIndies now 8/11, England 11/8, which still seems strange.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2019 17:11]

Tim Bresnan predicting a 3-day match describing the wicket as ' A bag of snakes'
Cricket on 08:20 - Feb 1 with 1421 viewstoboboly

I am slightly surpirsed that so many of the pundits are defending the batting after that first day. Yes there were some difficult deliveries but Buttler and Denly's wickets were more to do with poor decision making.

No-one seems to be pointing out that WI stayed in for 21 overs without losing a wicket, more than a third of the overs England batted for in the entire innings. Got a bit of a dodgy pitch? Just hang around. The England mentality really doesn't seem to be working.

Cricket on 08:30 - Feb 1 with 1406 viewsTheChef

Cricket on 08:20 - Feb 1 by toboboly

I am slightly surpirsed that so many of the pundits are defending the batting after that first day. Yes there were some difficult deliveries but Buttler and Denly's wickets were more to do with poor decision making.

No-one seems to be pointing out that WI stayed in for 21 overs without losing a wicket, more than a third of the overs England batted for in the entire innings. Got a bit of a dodgy pitch? Just hang around. The England mentality really doesn't seem to be working.

Not rocket science is it? The concept of batting time seems lost on our batsmen.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Cricket on 09:09 - Feb 1 with 1382 viewsjohnhoop

Cricket on 08:30 - Feb 1 by TheChef

Not rocket science is it? The concept of batting time seems lost on our batsmen.

You sure aren’t kidding there. The trouble is Root’s reasoning ( probably in collaboration with Bayliss) is that we were successful in the India and Sri Lanka series because of playing positively. Unfortunately his version of playing positively seems to mean attempting to score off every ball like in a one-day game. You are very lucky indeed if this brings you success in Test matches and if we persist with it into next summer, Starc, Hazlewood, Cummings and Richardson are going to take us to the cleaners.
Cricket on 14:50 - Feb 1 with 1310 viewstoboboly

Dropped catches. Brilliant.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024