Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Declan Rice 13:36 - Feb 14 with 4284 viewsTGRRRSSS

So he's finally shown his hand and declared for England and changed allegiance, not the first to do this and being London born and bred you can see why.

No doubt many will be pleased and many others here disappointed interesting to note far from the first, Costa and ZAha have both done this albeit perhaps in a different scenarios.
Declan Rice on 08:16 - Feb 15 with 688 viewswillis1980

Declan Rice on 16:36 - Feb 14 by Galileo

England aren't immune from selecting those born overseas

Sterling
Hargreaves
Barnes
Butcher

sure there are plenty more.

I think Tony Dorigo was born in Australia

Anyone remember the cricketer with an Aussie accent that played one test for England, Vaughan was the captain at the time from what I remember and he lambasted the selectors for picking him. The media went postal only to find out that he was born in England to English parents that moved to Australia while he was young. The actor Hugh jackman was the first of his siblings to be born in Australia to English parents and considers himself a true blue Aussie.

The overwhelming majority of players born elsewhere etc will choose to represent who they identify with most, there will always be a small handful who will choose money, glory or the chance to play at international level as opposed to the aforementioned (ie. costa or the Brazilian bloke playing for Japan etc)
Declan Rice on 08:47 - Feb 15 with 656 viewsmakaveli1882

Declan Rice on 21:55 - Feb 14 by BrianMcCarthy

Have to say I couldn't care less about Rice: if he wants to play for England, then he's well entitled.

Ireland have taken the pi$$ with this poaching lark over the years, specially since the Charlton years, so we can hardly moan. Mark Lawrenson, Ray Houghton, John Aldridge aren't Irish and we should never have begged them to pretend to be.

The Northern Ireland lads have dual Nationality and anyone on the Island of Ireland is allowed to play for North or South as they wish, so that one can be put away.

Like Robith, I was born in England to Irish parents so we have Dual Nationality and could have played for either. If footballers with Irish Nationality want to play for Ireland then they're rightly entitled to.

But, rules I would like to see:

1) No Grandparent rule (it's a nonsense - Rice was never Irish)
2) Pick a National Team at 18, stick with them.
3) If you can't sing the National Anthem (I'm looking at you Mick McCarthy!) you really have no business wearing the shirt.

Ireland can't be pious about this and, outside of a few ex-pros I've heard no Joe Soap express anything but apathy.

1) No Grandparent rule (it's a nonsense - Rice was never Irish)
2) Pick a National Team at 18, stick with them.
3) If you can't sing the National Anthem (I'm looking at you Mick McCarthy!) you really have no business wearing the shirt.

Great post Brian as ever and bang on.
Declan Rice on 10:20 - Feb 15 with 609 viewsCamberleyR

Declan Rice on 08:16 - Feb 15 by willis1980

I think Tony Dorigo was born in Australia

Anyone remember the cricketer with an Aussie accent that played one test for England, Vaughan was the captain at the time from what I remember and he lambasted the selectors for picking him. The media went postal only to find out that he was born in England to English parents that moved to Australia while he was young. The actor Hugh jackman was the first of his siblings to be born in Australia to English parents and considers himself a true blue Aussie.

The overwhelming majority of players born elsewhere etc will choose to represent who they identify with most, there will always be a small handful who will choose money, glory or the chance to play at international level as opposed to the aforementioned (ie. costa or the Brazilian bloke playing for Japan etc)

Darren Pattinson?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Declan Rice on 10:38 - Feb 15 with 592 viewsElHoop

I think that it might have been Martin McCague
Declan Rice on 11:47 - Feb 15 with 559 viewsCamberleyR

McCague played early 90s and I think was born in Norn Iron.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Declan Rice on 12:06 - Feb 15 with 542 viewsMrSheen

Declan Rice on 10:20 - Feb 15 by CamberleyR

Darren Pattinson?

That’s him. Picked because Headingley was supposed to suit him. Did nothing, England got smashed, never seen again. Doesn’t his younger brother play for Oz now?
Declan Rice on 12:10 - Feb 15 with 524 viewsElHoop

Declan Rice on 11:47 - Feb 15 by CamberleyR

McCague played early 90s and I think was born in Norn Iron.

I didn't remember Pattinson at all or anything about him. I couldn't even remember McCague's name either but there was a bit of a fuss from the Aussies at the time, which I did remember. But not him.
Declan Rice on 13:49 - Feb 15 with 478 viewsdanky

Declan Rice on 14:23 - Feb 14 by CLAREMAN1995

While Rice is a tremendous prospect and being born in England its hard not to feel betrayed if you support the ROI. Brought up through the ranks wearing green all the way to the Senior team and getting 3 caps (non competitive )it looked like he could be a mainstay to build around for his career.

Once England came calling it was only going to end one way and now its up to him to break into a very strong English side which is not a guarantee IMO.

Everybody is relieved the saga is over and hopefully it sets a precedence for players to want to play for their Countries and realize its about the pride not the chance to advance their careers .

I have no problem with Rice declaring for England but his comments about the pride he felt playing for Ireland really piss me off, will it be the same feeling when he makes his debut for England?
Its a blatant case of career enhancement almost certainly orchestrated by his so called advisers.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024