Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chelsea away 1979 14:51 - Mar 25 with 3977 viewsNov77

hadn't seen this before, someones put up half an hour of highlights from our game at Chelsea in March 1979.

state of the pitch! (I know ours was as bad)
Wilkins their only decent player?
I know Bowles gets all the plaudits, but how good was Gerry! best player on the pitch.
makes you wonder how we ever went down that year as barring Richardson and Howe thats a pretty good team.

[Post edited 25 Mar 2019 17:31]

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Chelsea away 1979 on 15:06 - Mar 25 with 3934 viewsTheChef

I'd argue players were more skillful back then because of those awful pitches - they didn't get to play on the bowling greens you have these days.

That Scum team had Wilkins, Flasher Walker and that was about it. I assume John Sitton is the same one of Leyton Orient fame.

Despite the result both teams were relegated.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Chelsea away 1979 on 15:28 - Mar 25 with 3886 viewsNov77

notice how players who were fouled just got up and got on with it, no rolling around crying and trying to get the other player booked.
Gillard was lucky not to get sent off though!

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Chelsea away 1979 on 15:39 - Mar 25 with 3850 views2Thomas2Bowles

Chelsea away 1979 on 15:28 - Mar 25 by Nov77

notice how players who were fouled just got up and got on with it, no rolling around crying and trying to get the other player booked.
Gillard was lucky not to get sent off though!

Was there.
IG yeah lucky but then w*nker-walker would have gone off too today

Our pitch was as bad
Had we still had Parks and Thomas I doubt we would have gone down.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2019 15:39]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Chelsea away 1979 on 15:46 - Mar 25 with 3826 viewsTacticalR

Goddard took his goal well.

Air hostess clique

Chelsea away 1979 on 16:23 - Mar 25 with 3760 viewsstevec

I remember that game, we sat in the Chelsea stand you can't see here. Two Chelsea fans on benches a couple of rows in front, one went off to get something to eat after about 10 minutes, then came back and spent the best part of the next half hour trying to stuff his burger into his mates ear. He couldn't have watched more than 5 minutes of that first half.

They're another breed.
Chelsea away 1979 on 17:02 - Mar 25 with 3700 viewsenfieldargh

remember being at that game so clearly.

we had 12 games after that and only won one of them..........Enter stage right Clive Allen

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Chelsea away 1979 on 18:45 - Mar 25 with 3569 viewsBoston

Shame so few Rangers turned up. Where were the Grove, Notting Hill and the rest of North Kensington when you needed 'em?
Mind you, there were a lot of R's sitting down.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Chelsea away 1979 on 21:39 - Mar 25 with 3368 viewssmegma

Chelsea away 1979 on 18:45 - Mar 25 by Boston

Shame so few Rangers turned up. Where were the Grove, Notting Hill and the rest of North Kensington when you needed 'em?
Mind you, there were a lot of R's sitting down.

I was among the 87 of us in the North Stand.
Login to get fewer ads

Chelsea away 1979 on 22:59 - Mar 25 with 3274 viewsSonofNorfolt

I was busy taking The Shed, aged 14.
Chelsea away 1979 on 00:02 - Mar 26 with 3236 viewsCamberleyR

I've said it before and I'll say it again, how Burtenshaw managed to win just six matches and relegate a team that had Parkes (until mid February), Clement, Gillard, Hollins, Francis, Bowles, an emerging Roeder and Goddard and useful squad backup in Shanks and Eastoe in it still baffles me. That really takes some doing and is why he is easily in my top 3 worst Rangers managers ever. That win at the SW6 cesspit by the way was only our second since the start of October that season (2 wins in 21 games).

He'd done a similar job at Sheffield Wednesday a few years before when in his first full season there he managed to relegate them to the third division. Not really surprising that we were his last job in management.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2019 0:04]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Chelsea away 1979 on 04:09 - Mar 26 with 3181 viewsdixiedean

Chelsea away 1979 on 00:02 - Mar 26 by CamberleyR

I've said it before and I'll say it again, how Burtenshaw managed to win just six matches and relegate a team that had Parkes (until mid February), Clement, Gillard, Hollins, Francis, Bowles, an emerging Roeder and Goddard and useful squad backup in Shanks and Eastoe in it still baffles me. That really takes some doing and is why he is easily in my top 3 worst Rangers managers ever. That win at the SW6 cesspit by the way was only our second since the start of October that season (2 wins in 21 games).

He'd done a similar job at Sheffield Wednesday a few years before when in his first full season there he managed to relegate them to the third division. Not really surprising that we were his last job in management.

Remember this game for some wit and repartee from one of the knuckle scrapers. At one point I heard hissing noises and a shout of " how did you c*nts escape the gas chambers " . Penny dropped it was aimed at me and my Dad who are not Jewish but look a bit so . One of the many and varied reasons to despise that Filth . And don't get me started on the time one of them kicked my 5' girlfriend. Brave lad . Had him nicked though and went to Court . Guilty as charged. Scum and always will be . And apparently they now have a zero tolerance of racism. Pity they didn't when BRJ was running the club .
Chelsea away 1979 on 08:07 - Mar 26 with 3104 viewsTheChef

Chelsea away 1979 on 00:02 - Mar 26 by CamberleyR

Relegated by six clear points as well - and you look at some of the teams who didn't get relegated.

Like you say, quite some achievement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978%E2%80%9379_in_English_football#First_Division

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Chelsea away 1979 on 08:37 - Mar 26 with 3083 viewskingo

I remember the game and trying to get out was fun. We had to walk down to some locked corrugated iron gates and the Scum were banging on them and advising how we were going to get our heads kicked in. When the gates opened there were a few scuffles but the wise move was to mingle as quickly as you could. Couple of seasons later, I remember getting in there and the usual one section of the end was open. And quite quickly a second had to be opened and then we had most of the end. Scum to the left were singing where’s your famous Ladbroke Grove and C Mob went to the front and sang back at them.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Chelsea away 1979 on 09:35 - Mar 26 with 3022 viewsloftus77

I was there. We were down the front of the main stand wearing Rangers colours - we were told to keep our heads down.

Don’t remember much about the game (it was a while back, and I was seriously young) other than everyone was going on about their new keeper Petar Barota, who I think had a ‘mare. Ray Wilkins had hair also.

I think we had about 8 away games in a row at the time or something-1978/79 was a cold winter (that I do recall).
Chelsea away 1979 on 14:06 - Mar 26 with 2848 viewsBoston

‘79...scuffles at Fulham Broadway as well. Police stopped a couple of dozen of us outside ‘for our safety’ until a train pulled in, Chelsea walked up behind and started throwing the punches, Old Bill rather casual in restoring the peace.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2019 14:07]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Chelsea away 1979 on 14:19 - Mar 26 with 2825 viewssmegma

Wow that's some memory !! We had 6 consecutive away games from Feb 28 to Mar 24.
Man Utd, Everton, Birmingham,Chelsea, Villa and West Brom. We lost the other 5.
Chelsea away 1979 on 18:56 - Mar 26 with 2673 viewsCamberleyR

Chelsea away 1979 on 08:07 - Mar 26 by TheChef

Relegated by six clear points as well - and you look at some of the teams who didn't get relegated.

Like you say, quite some achievement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978%E2%80%9379_in_English_football#First_Division

When Burtenshaw relegated Sheffield Wednesday to the third division in 1975 in his first full season there, it's a similarly disastrous record to his season with us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974%E2%80%9375_in_English_football#Second_Divisio

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024