Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New York 16:13 - Apr 14 with 5545 viewsW13R

Hello all, can anyone resurrect the thread that has all the best/must things to do in New York.
New York on 15:10 - Apr 15 with 1283 viewskensalriser

New York on 00:10 - Apr 15 by charmr

Hey Boston

My wife’s best friends husband works at the pentagon and he never saw no
Plane hit it. So you believe what you want and lay off the snide.

Aside from anything else, stuff like this is really disrespectful and offensive to the families and loved ones of the people who died in that particular incident.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

New York on 15:19 - Apr 15 with 1264 viewskingo

New York on 14:27 - Apr 15 by ted_hendrix

I wouldn't bother with the Statue of Liberty cruise, just jump on the Staten Island Ferry which is free when you get to the Staten Island terminal walk round to the departure gates and come back again.
Not sure why you booked the ESB though? I cant ever remember paying to go up it.

Make sure you do Strawberry Fields in Central Park and the Dakota Building where Yoko still lives.

Cracking city been there numerous times but 2-3 days is maximum for me.

Cheers Ted, doing things that the kids want to see. Will definitely go to Strawberry fields, we intend to do Central Park on our way up to watch the Yankees play. Been told to go to the roof garden bar on the museum for best views of city.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

New York on 15:21 - Apr 15 with 1264 viewsthame_hoops

also funny how peoples 'must see things' differ obviously. My mrs wanted to see the stoop that carrie from 'sex and the city' would sit on, a 40 min round trip on uber lol
New York on 16:21 - Apr 15 with 1194 viewstoboboly

New York on 15:21 - Apr 15 by thame_hoops

also funny how peoples 'must see things' differ obviously. My mrs wanted to see the stoop that carrie from 'sex and the city' would sit on, a 40 min round trip on uber lol

My Mrs tried that one, I told her if that was the case we were going to the Ghostbusters building. Soon came to an amicable agreement drinking in bars instead!

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

New York on 16:32 - Apr 15 with 1183 viewsthame_hoops

New York on 16:21 - Apr 15 by toboboly

My Mrs tried that one, I told her if that was the case we were going to the Ghostbusters building. Soon came to an amicable agreement drinking in bars instead!

haha we went as it was in greenwich village which was cool and then a short walk to Washington sq park (Big daddy) which I wanted to see, the apartment from friends was also close by lol
New York on 16:42 - Apr 15 with 1170 viewstraininvain

Williamsburg to visit the Brooklyn Brewery and plenty of others decent bars / restaurants over that way.
New York on 00:11 - Apr 16 with 1063 viewswombat

New York on 16:42 - Apr 15 by traininvain

Williamsburg to visit the Brooklyn Brewery and plenty of others decent bars / restaurants over that way.

Go up town and grab a comedy show , not the ones in time square though had a great night in the back of some bar watching some excellent comedians all for 30 dollars including a couple of beers in the price .
Nest cheesecake in New York juniors just off time square
Head over Brooklyn bridge and there is the oldest stone baked pizza in Brooklyn big cues but worth the wait .

Poll: which is your favouite foot

New York on 07:04 - Apr 16 with 1012 viewsKonk

New York on 16:42 - Apr 15 by traininvain

If I go back, I would definitely stay in Brooklyn next time. We had about 4 days/nights out on the pop in various Brooklyn neighbourhoods and it was much more to my liking than evenings in the LES, Villages or anywhere else in Manhattan. Loads of good spots for eating and drinking. There weren't many hotel options at the time, but I think that's changed now and of course, Airbnb is probably everywhere.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Login to get fewer ads

New York on 07:41 - Apr 16 with 1000 viewsLblock

W13R - if you’re at the next home game then seek out Big Mark who has been to NYC countless times and trumps my six

I see you’re going for about 5 days which means you should be able to right off a day going to Woodbury Common. This retail outlet became a pilgrimage for us and we used to go there first or second day as we’d pack really light and fill suitcases up with a trip here. You get a bus from the Port Authorities Terminal and it’s reasonable in terms of cost BUT last time we went the traffic was a bitch and it really was a whole day gone. Gave it a miss last time we went four years back but next time we’ll certainly be going.

If you want a higher end retail fix then plenty on the Avenues; lower end via Century21 etc
If it’s not a shopping based trip then so much else to do.

Do the open topped bus tour - hop on and hop off as much as possible.
I quite enjoyed Harlem and a few of the music venues. We also used the bus in the evening once and got some great views of the city lit up

Don’t pay for any trips to the Statue of Liberty. Just get the Statten Island ferry which is free and simply walk off at the other end and get the next one back. On the outward leg make sure you get a spot at the back of the boat - you get a fantastic view of the Manhattan skyline after about 5 minutes.

Food wise you are spoilt for choice.
We always try to hit some reasonably top end steakhouses like Sparks, Bull and Bear, Smith & Wollensky or Bobby Vans next to Grand Central Station.
The station itself is great for a bit of food and simply sitting there people watching. I like pitching up in one of the upper bars in the great hall about 4:00pm on a Friday and taking itvall in for a couple of hours with a few drinks on the go.

Central Park is good but don’t pay for a horse and cart tour unless you’re flush with dollars
I prefer to see the Park from either Rockafella or one of the rooftop bars.
The rooftop bars are fantastic but seem to constantly change names - Google
them up and take a few in. Drinks can have premium prices but for the different perspectives they’re worth it. Do check what views they advertise as some you simply see a wall of glass of the buildings opposite

The High Line has to be the best free tourist attraction ever. Such a brilliant concept and I’d recommend doing that from start to finish on a nice day. Sunday’s early doors on a nice day is good as lots of locals do it as well and it’s the right balance of buzzy and chilled. I recall this took us into Meat Packing district where we had a few beers and a salt beef sarnie and then off to the Sex In The City house / steps. That house was crap and unless you’re into it don’t bother!

We’ve done a cruise around the river which is 75% great with the balance a bit drab - just industrial wasteland

Take in a Broadway show if you can. We did The Jersey Boys which even though seem couple of times before was great. Tickets can be pricey and also if that’s your thing then look to buy on line before you go.

Times Square is Piccadilly Circus on steroids; not a big draw anymore for me but worth seeing of course. I’d plan to see an early show, wander around Times Square after and then finish your night off with a meal in the revolving restaurant top floor of the Marriott Hotel (think it’s the Marriott, might be Hilton though .... look it up!!)

Brilliant, brilliant city and you’ll be shattered after it all – walk absolutely everywhere if you can as it’s so easy to navigate around. Worst case walk South and see what you want to see in the day and then hop a mental yellow cab back north when you’re done.
I’ve not done Freedom Tower but my mate has and that’s highly recommended

Enjoy

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

New York on 10:59 - Apr 16 with 950 viewsYorkRanger

New York on 07:41 - Apr 16 by Lblock

W13R - if you’re at the next home game then seek out Big Mark who has been to NYC countless times and trumps my six

I see you’re going for about 5 days which means you should be able to right off a day going to Woodbury Common. This retail outlet became a pilgrimage for us and we used to go there first or second day as we’d pack really light and fill suitcases up with a trip here. You get a bus from the Port Authorities Terminal and it’s reasonable in terms of cost BUT last time we went the traffic was a bitch and it really was a whole day gone. Gave it a miss last time we went four years back but next time we’ll certainly be going.

If you want a higher end retail fix then plenty on the Avenues; lower end via Century21 etc

I quite enjoyed Harlem and a few of the music venues. We also used the bus in the evening once and got some great views of the city lit up

Don’t pay for any trips to the Statue of Liberty. Just get the Statten Island ferry which is free and simply walk off at the other end and get the next one back. On the outward leg make sure you get a spot at the back of the boat - you get a fantastic view of the Manhattan skyline after about 5 minutes.

We always try to hit some reasonably top end steakhouses like Sparks, Bull and Bear, Smith & Wollensky or Bobby Vans next to Grand Central Station.
The station itself is great for a bit of food and simply sitting there people watching. I like pitching up in one of the upper bars in the great hall about 4:00pm on a Friday and taking itvall in for a couple of hours with a few drinks on the go.

Central Park is good but don’t pay for a horse and cart tour unless you’re flush with dollars
them up and take a few in. Drinks can have premium prices but for the different perspectives they’re worth it. Do check what views they advertise as some you simply see a wall of glass of the buildings opposite

The High Line has to be the best free tourist attraction ever. Such a brilliant concept and I’d recommend doing that from start to finish on a nice day. Sunday’s early doors on a nice day is good as lots of locals do it as well and it’s the right balance of buzzy and chilled. I recall this took us into Meat Packing district where we had a few beers and a salt beef sarnie and then off to the Sex In The City house / steps. That house was crap and unless you’re into it don’t bother!

We’ve done a cruise around the river which is 75% great with the balance a bit drab - just industrial wasteland

Take in a Broadway show if you can. We did The Jersey Boys which even though seem couple of times before was great. Tickets can be pricey and also if that’s your thing then look to buy on line before you go.

Times Square is Piccadilly Circus on steroids; not a big draw anymore for me but worth seeing of course. I’d plan to see an early show, wander around Times Square after and then finish your night off with a meal in the revolving restaurant top floor of the Marriott Hotel (think it’s the Marriott, might be Hilton though .... look it up!!)

Brilliant, brilliant city and you’ll be shattered after it all – walk absolutely everywhere if you can as it’s so easy to navigate around. Worst case walk South and see what you want to see in the day and then hop a mental yellow cab back north when you’re done.

Enjoy

Some good advice from LBlock.

The original thread was mine, we loved New York and the insight from the LFW community was really helpful (I printed it out and took it with me).

I'm not ashamed to say we were the typical tourists and I have no regrets about that at all (when we go again we may do it slightly differently perhaps).

We pre-bought a book of vouchers for Statue of Liberty, Natural History Museum, Empire State Building, Rockefeller building, 911 museum.

We also rode the subway, did Central Park, Grand Central Station, Times Square, Brooklyn Bridge etc.

My advice would be make sure you see all the major sites and if you can fit in a few of the other tips as well even better (a show, a ball game, eating and drinking in Brooklyn etc).

I thought it was a fantastic city.
New York on 12:03 - Apr 16 with 913 viewsKonk

New York on 10:59 - Apr 16 by YorkRanger

Some good advice from LBlock.

The original thread was mine, we loved New York and the insight from the LFW community was really helpful (I printed it out and took it with me).

I'm not ashamed to say we were the typical tourists and I have no regrets about that at all (when we go again we may do it slightly differently perhaps).

We pre-bought a book of vouchers for Statue of Liberty, Natural History Museum, Empire State Building, Rockefeller building, 911 museum.

We also rode the subway, did Central Park, Grand Central Station, Times Square, Brooklyn Bridge etc.

My advice would be make sure you see all the major sites and if you can fit in a few of the other tips as well even better (a show, a ball game, eating and drinking in Brooklyn etc).

I thought it was a fantastic city.

Agree with you there, York. On my first visit, we did all the touristy stuff and really enjoyed it. Ate and drank in some decent spots in Manhattan too, but was a little underwhelmed on the bar front. Second time around, it was basically a week of mooching about on pub crawls round different neighbourhoods, mainly in Brooklyn, and we much preferred it over there for food/drink. But yeah, if you might only visit once then absolutely see the main sites in Manhattan. It's a brilliant city, but it really helps if you do your homework and a bit of planning because just like London, it's a big old city and there are loads of mediocre restaurants and bars that you can end-up in if you don't know better.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

New York on 12:56 - Apr 16 with 899 viewsW13R

New York on 07:41 - Apr 16 by Lblock

Enjoy

Cheers mate and too everyone else who has given some great advise.

I'll be sitting down with the wife this weekend to work out a plan of attack on what we will try and do each day. Sounds more like a military operation than a long break?!

If I find any hidden gems whilst I am out their I will share the knowledge.
New York on 13:09 - Apr 16 with 881 viewsR_from_afar

If you are near it, it's worth having a look inside the Waldorf hotel. The foyer is very impressive and it's an iconic building steeped in history.

I haven't got any particular recommendations but I ate in Little Italy and the Italian (surprise surprise) restaurant I went to served up food which I reckon was better than anything I have ever had in Italy, and I have been to Italy a lot.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

New York on 14:42 - Apr 16 with 854 viewsBathRanger

Any recommendations for transfer services from JFK airport to lower Manhattan?

Going for the first time in the summer and there's 5 of us plus luggage. If we go to the taxi rank I expect we would need two yellow cabs. It would be cheaper to get the airtrain and subway but our flight arrives in the evening, so with the time difference, being at the end of a long journey and having to negotiate an unfamiliar public transport system with luggage makes us think it may be easier to pay the extra to get a door-to-door transfer. e.g. with Hoppa or someone similar. Not looking for a limo or private vehicle, just a reasonably priced reliable shared transfer.
New York on 15:02 - Apr 16 with 844 viewsted_hendrix

New York on 14:42 - Apr 16 by BathRanger

Going for the first time in the summer and there's 5 of us plus luggage. If we go to the taxi rank I expect we would need two yellow cabs. It would be cheaper to get the airtrain and subway but our flight arrives in the evening, so with the time difference, being at the end of a long journey and having to negotiate an unfamiliar public transport system with luggage makes us think it may be easier to pay the extra to get a door-to-door transfer. e.g. with Hoppa or someone similar. Not looking for a limo or private vehicle, just a reasonably priced reliable shared transfer.

We've used the mini bus transfer just outside arrivals a few times, they will drop you at the hotel door, been a while since we've been though so hopefully that hasn't changed but it's a good quickish way to get to the hotel in the city, you will as is the norm get hustled outside the airport

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

New York on 15:53 - Apr 16 with 812 viewsqprd

New York on 14:42 - Apr 16 by BathRanger

The minivan yellow cabs fit 5 people, so it could work, unless all of you have big checked bags

if you take one of the yellow cab vans from JFK, its a flat fare to anywhere in Manhattan, plus tolls. it comes out to about $60 (£45ish), pre-tip.

you should also consider downloading the Lyft app before you fly to the usa. lyft is basically uber, but they offer really good sign up bonuses which will discount your fare. you can get a much bigger car, but the fare is higher. b/c jfk is closer to lower manhattan than places uptown or on the west side, the distance part of the fare is not horrible

Subway to/from JFK to Manhattan is an absolute nightmare and to be avoided, btw
New York on 16:06 - Apr 16 with 803 viewsqprd

i went to school/worked in nyc for 4 years not too long ago. if you want suggestions, feel free to DM me

for slightly less touristy tourist things, consider:

-barney greengrass- legendary jewish deli on the upper west side, very close to the park. speciality is smoked fish and sturgeon- its a bit pricy, but worth it

-roosevelt island tram gives you a nice view of the city and takes you to roosevelt island, which has good views of the east side of manhattan. roosevelt island is a pretty quirky place. it used to be where they had the mental asylums, but now its been rejuvenated by cornell university

-smorgasburg in williamsburg and dumbo is like the borough market of nyc. the williamsburg one is on the water and gives you an amazing view of the city

-staten island ferry as someone else noted. free, gives you a good view of the city from the water

-brooklyn bridge park and the promenade. brooklyn heights is a great neighborhood where i used to work back in 2013ish

-for pizza, you really cant go wrong, unless you go to the chains (famiglia or sbarro). the usual suspects that youll read about are really good but not worth the trek out (lucali, difara). grimaldi is pretty overrated. i would suggest sal and carmine on the upper west side, but its also kind of hard to get to
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024