Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Young Parisians Are So French 18:38 - Apr 15 with 10833 viewsBoston

...sad to say Notre Dame Cathedral is burning in what looks like a very serious fire.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Young Parisians Are So French on 17:57 - Apr 17 with 1249 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Young Parisians Are So French on 16:23 - Apr 17 by PunteR

I hear what your saying and i agree that tradesmen need to maintain a high standard of work. I also appreciate old buildings and architecture. Its just methods, tools and materials have changed so much over the years that the set of skills needed 50 years ago are redundant. Plumbing for example, its mainly push fit stuff so those old soldering skills are going. Most mouldings are now mdf which only require Gripfill and nailed. Thermalite blocks with Plasterboard dot and dabbed etc etc. Most timber these days is utter gash because it comes from young trees and just doesn't have time to settle.
There is of course the high end stuff but thats a very small percentage of work going on i would imagine.
I also think that if tradesmen 100 years ago had the tools , materials we have now they would definitely have use them :) I've worked in plenty of old buildings doing refurbs etc and there were definitely cowboys back then as well..lol
I was always thought it was the great fire of london where tradesmen really came to the fore. Whether that was financed by the church or the establishment i dont know.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 16:39]

Get a tender in son!
Young Parisians Are So French on 18:10 - Apr 17 with 1234 viewsBoston

Young Parisians Are So French on 16:23 - Apr 17 by PunteR

I hear what your saying and i agree that tradesmen need to maintain a high standard of work. I also appreciate old buildings and architecture. Its just methods, tools and materials have changed so much over the years that the set of skills needed 50 years ago are redundant. Plumbing for example, its mainly push fit stuff so those old soldering skills are going. Most mouldings are now mdf which only require Gripfill and nailed. Thermalite blocks with Plasterboard dot and dabbed etc etc. Most timber these days is utter gash because it comes from young trees and just doesn't have time to settle.
There is of course the high end stuff but thats a very small percentage of work going on i would imagine.
I also think that if tradesmen 100 years ago had the tools , materials we have now they would definitely have use them :) I've worked in plenty of old buildings doing refurbs etc and there were definitely cowboys back then as well..lol
I was always thought it was the great fire of london where tradesmen really came to the fore. Whether that was financed by the church or the establishment i dont know.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 16:39]

You need to work in the US mate. Plenty of top quality wood, pipe soldering still common, dot and dabbed, what’s that?
When I started work I got real lucky to fall in beside older fellas, some in their 70’s, who showed me ways, techniques of construction which they’d been taught as kids, which I’ve occasionally pulled out of the bag much to the amazement of the power tool generation.
And yes, plenty of bollocks work back in the good old days, some of the shite we discovered over the years!
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 18:11]

Young Parisians Are So French on 18:26 - Apr 17 with 1213 viewsPunteR

Young Parisians Are So French on 18:10 - Apr 17 by Boston

You need to work in the US mate. Plenty of top quality wood, pipe soldering still common, dot and dabbed, what’s that?
When I started work I got real lucky to fall in beside older fellas, some in their 70’s, who showed me ways, techniques of construction which they’d been taught as kids, which I’ve occasionally pulled out of the bag much to the amazement of the power tool generation.
And yes, plenty of bollocks work back in the good old days, some of the shite we discovered over the years!
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 18:11]

Dot n dab. Sticking plasterboard onto internal block or brickwork.
Yeh i started out in a joinery shop with old skool chippies. I remember having to sharpen hand saws!. Used Yankees and pump ratchets even though the Makita cordless drill had just come out much to my annoyance. Everything was still cut in imperial. Maybe i've been house bashing for too long in the uk but i certainly dont see too many of the older techniques being used these days. Even sash windows in london are being replaced with springs rather then weights and cord.
Maybe im missing a trick here and should get a tender in..lol

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Young Parisians Are So French on 07:12 - Apr 18 with 1122 viewsdistortR

What i want to know is, who thought they'd save a bit by not paying the house (Of god) and contents premium?
Young Parisians Are So French on 20:30 - Jul 29 with 466 viewsBoston

Hello, still around?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024