Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Young Parisians Are So French 18:38 - Apr 15 with 10770 viewsBoston

...sad to say Notre Dame Cathedral is burning in what looks like a very serious fire.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Young Parisians Are So French on 13:09 - Apr 16 with 1794 viewsSonofNorfolt

Young Parisians Are So French on 13:02 - Apr 16 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Personally, I prefer the many gothic churches in Antwerp.

Personally I prefer the many Gothic bars in Gent.
Young Parisians Are So French on 13:14 - Apr 16 with 1777 viewsstainrods_elbow

Young Parisians Are So French on 10:41 - Apr 16 by Toast_R

It's always a shame when these things are destroyed. Old wood and fire. There's been a few, Windsor Castle back in the 90s, the Cutty Sark more recently. My Dad before he got too old used to take me and my brother on quite a few tours of London as he worked up there most his working life in the Typewriter repairs trade and had good knowledge of the nooks and crannies getting around - old pubs, haunted churches he'd worked in that kind fo thing. He showed us bits and pieces of the old City that still existed after the Great Fire. One of the bridges I forget which one, you can still see the old Wooden Stakes in the ground.

I was lucky enough to see Notre-Dame on my only trip to Paris with my high school in 94. Ask Flynnbo...
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 10:42]

Windsor Castle - now there's an old bit of real estate I'd love to see go up in a fireball. Preferably with the occupants inside it.

Ooh - a bit of politics!

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Young Parisians Are So French on 13:23 - Apr 16 with 1745 viewsSonofNorfolt

I swear that the BBC News went on longer about a fuc king church than they did for the Bataclan massacre the other year.

There's your fuc king God.
Young Parisians Are So French on 13:30 - Apr 16 with 1729 viewsKonk

Young Parisians Are So French on 13:23 - Apr 16 by SonofNorfolt

I swear that the BBC News went on longer about a fuc king church than they did for the Bataclan massacre the other year.

There's your fuc king God.

I'm not sure that's true, mate. I watched an awful lot of coverage of the Bataclan massacre and it got very heavily covered. We have a parliamentary recess at the moment, so domestic news is a lot quieter. You obviously don't have much time for churches, but it's a fact that it's one of the world's best known landmarks, so hardly surprising that it's getting a lot of coverage. It's also a building that millions of British people will have visited, so there's an interest there too.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Young Parisians Are So French on 13:40 - Apr 16 with 1694 viewsDannyPaddox

I travelled through the middle of France during the end of one Summer in the mid-90s. Slightly West of centre (Biarritz to Dieppe to be exact). Most of it by car and some of it on foot. Heading North through Poitiers, Tours, and Orleans, the countryside is, very much like Norfolk or Lincolnshire, flat with a minimum of modernity. You see Chartres cathedral from miles and miles away, at first a blip it gradually begins to dominate the horizon like a Medieval Spaceship dwarfing everything around it. As the rest of the landscape is largely unspoiled you're almost seeing it exactly as someone from the 13th century would have seen it. It's so impressive it's overwhelming, almost sinister. It seems to announce 'Hey you, especially you there, Atheist, there is a God, and he's in charge, and we run things, so get back to ploughing that field peasant!'

I may have felt different about it on another day.

Young Parisians Are So French on 13:44 - Apr 16 with 1686 viewsCiderwithRsie

Young Parisians Are So French on 09:36 - Apr 16 by MrSheen

Lincoln Cathedral was the tallest building in the world for over 200 years until its spire collapsed in the 16th Century and it was never rebuilt. A writer called Rory Sutherland described asking a group of young people in London how many people how many had visited Lincoln Cathedral. Maybe two. How many had been to Macchu Picchu? Forest of hands.

I work around the corner from St Paul’s and recently slipped out of an all-company briefing to climb up the top of the dome. Wonderful experience to sit in the Whispering Gallery, then climb up between the inner and outer domes to the viewing platform at the top. Support your local Cathedral (while they last).

"A writer called Rory Sutherland described asking a group of young people in London how many people how many had visited Lincoln Cathedral. Maybe two. How many had been to Macchu Picchu? Forest of hands."

Miles Kington made a similar point about Salisbury Cathedral (closer to his home) when he was dying. (He'd been given a copy of "100 Places You Must See Before You Die" just before his diagnosis and was looking at which he'd been to, in the knowledge that he wasn't going to get to any more in the time he had.)

He also argued that Salisbury Cathedral was both older and a lot more impressive than Macchu Picchu. Of course, if you're a Russian spy, you'd already know that...
Young Parisians Are So French on 13:47 - Apr 16 with 1681 viewsSonofNorfolt

Young Parisians Are So French on 13:30 - Apr 16 by Konk

I'm not sure that's true, mate. I watched an awful lot of coverage of the Bataclan massacre and it got very heavily covered. We have a parliamentary recess at the moment, so domestic news is a lot quieter. You obviously don't have much time for churches, but it's a fact that it's one of the world's best known landmarks, so hardly surprising that it's getting a lot of coverage. It's also a building that millions of British people will have visited, so there's an interest there too.

Do you know what? I'm almost glad.
Will we see French flags flying at half mast?
Will Facebook users cry crocodile tears and change their avatar?
360 million euros pledged already. The stone masons of Paris will be pleased,
and Rome will be rubbing their collective hands.
Young Parisians Are So French on 13:58 - Apr 16 with 1657 viewsCiderwithRsie

Young Parisians Are So French on 12:28 - Apr 16 by SonofNorfolt

Except that, clearly, it doesn't Brian.

I'm afraid the point here is not about people vs buildings; it's about Paris vs Aden. If it was a mosque in Yemen no-one would give a stuff here and if bombs were falling on Parisians rather than Yemenis we sure as hell wouldn't be supplying spare parts for the bombers.

Yemenis live a long way away, have brown skins, and are muslims. So do the people who are killing them, (plenty of whom are, after all, other Yemenis.)

I wish everyone in the UK felt strongly about our fellow human beings in the Yemen but I'm afraid people care the most about the people, places and stuff that is closest to them. It's also damn hard sitting here to come up with solutions to the wars in the Mid East (Yemen, Syria, Libya, Iraq - plenty of different approaches, none worked so far) whereas rebuilding Notre Dame is doable.
Login to get fewer ads

Young Parisians Are So French on 14:16 - Apr 16 with 1620 views2Thomas2Bowles

Young Parisians Are So French on 13:09 - Apr 16 by SonofNorfolt

Personally I prefer the many Gothic bars in Gent.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Young Parisians Are So French on 14:24 - Apr 16 with 1601 views2Thomas2Bowles

Young Parisians Are So French on 13:47 - Apr 16 by SonofNorfolt

Well I hope the 96 British firms (or any others ) that got turned over by the French At Disney by not being paid don't get tempted again.

They are saying rebuilt in 10 years, not if the French do it themselves more like 50 years and cost 20 Billion +
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 14:31]

Young Parisians Are So French on 14:26 - Apr 16 with 1606 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Young Parisians Are So French on 11:59 - Apr 16 by essextaxiboy

The UK should offer 39 Million quid as a gesture of goodwill. Take the moral high ground with Macron who last week was dicking us around .

£39m would easily House the remaining unhoused residents of Grenfell 10x over.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 14:27]
Young Parisians Are So French on 14:46 - Apr 16 with 1563 viewsCiderwithRsie

Young Parisians Are So French on 14:26 - Apr 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

£39m would easily House the remaining unhoused residents of Grenfell 10x over.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 14:27]

Or it could buy you (picked via a random google) a 24 year old Bournemouth central defender with 10 full Netherlands caps.

What exactly are we trying to say here?
Young Parisians Are So French on 15:02 - Apr 16 with 1522 viewspaesanu

Young Parisians Are So French on 14:24 - Apr 16 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Well I hope the 96 British firms (or any others ) that got turned over by the French At Disney by not being paid don't get tempted again.

They are saying rebuilt in 10 years, not if the French do it themselves more like 50 years and cost 20 Billion +
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 14:31]

What?
Eh?
Isn't there a Brexit thread where you usually post your nonsense?
Have you asked your Lord and Saviour Boris Johnson if he's going to pay the taxpayer back for the £53m he pissd away on his bridge project?

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

Young Parisians Are So French on 15:03 - Apr 16 with 1518 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Young Parisians Are So French on 14:46 - Apr 16 by CiderwithRsie

Or it could buy you (picked via a random google) a 24 year old Bournemouth central defender with 10 full Netherlands caps.

What exactly are we trying to say here?

I’m shoehorning a political point about Grenfell which was also a fire.

For the record I realise Notre Dame was also tragedy, but a cultural one not a humanitarian one.

I know which one deserves a urgent response first.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 15:04]
Young Parisians Are So French on 15:08 - Apr 16 with 1500 views2Thomas2Bowles

Young Parisians Are So French on 15:02 - Apr 16 by paesanu

What?
Eh?
Isn't there a Brexit thread where you usually post your nonsense?
Have you asked your Lord and Saviour Boris Johnson if he's going to pay the taxpayer back for the £53m he pissd away on his bridge project?

Disney is a fact
I worked for Bovis as a manager at the time there.

French were working to rule, made everyone's life a misery if you were not French.

Young Parisians Are So French on 15:10 - Apr 16 with 1499 viewsCaptainPugwash

Arrrrrrrrr...
I be up to me knees in Crown o' Thorns,doin' a three fer too deal oer Easter.
There be enuf splinters o' Troo Cross ter recreate Spanish Armada..

Yo Ho!
Young Parisians Are So French on 16:42 - Apr 16 with 1427 viewsBoston

Young Parisians Are So French on 13:14 - Apr 16 by stainrods_elbow

Windsor Castle - now there's an old bit of real estate I'd love to see go up in a fireball. Preferably with the occupants inside it.

Ooh - a bit of politics!

That’ll put a spring in the step of the 150 working class types who are employed there.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 16:43]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Young Parisians Are So French on 17:05 - Apr 16 with 1377 views18StoneOfHoop

Young Parisians Are So French on 13:47 - Apr 16 by SonofNorfolt

Son,you come across like Boris Johnson on Liverpool,
or Nigel Farage on Europe.
Striking a cynical,sneering and glib attitude
in this case at a tragedy for european culture
The french have the same victim culture as Liverpudlians do they?

Would you be almost glad if it was St Paul's?

SYMPATHY BEATS CYNICISM

”No Man Is an Island” by John Donne
No man is an island, entire of itself;
every man is a piece of the continent,
a part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less,
as well as if a promontory were,
as well as if a manor of thy friend’s
or of thine own were.
Any man’s death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind;
and therefore never send to know
for whom the bell tolls;
it tolls for thee.

Notre Dame bells toll for thee,FFS!
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 18:20]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Young Parisians Are So French on 17:41 - Apr 16 with 1320 viewsSonofNorfolt

Gotta disagree Ollie.
Hillsborough was a tragedy, Notre Dame is a building.
Boris is a self serving useless cu nt, whereas I'm just playing the cu nt.
Young Parisians Are So French on 18:16 - Apr 16 with 1269 views18StoneOfHoop

Young Parisians Are So French on 17:41 - Apr 16 by SonofNorfolt

Gotta disagree Ollie.
Hillsborough was a tragedy, Notre Dame is a building.
Boris is a self serving useless cu nt, whereas I'm just playing the cu nt.

Ha ha Mel.
That had me chuckling Mel
Glenda Jackson born to play the king
and you were born to play the count!

Call me a lachrimose Soft Leftie
snowflake jelly if you want
BUT
I weep for Hillsborough.Grenfell and Notre Dame
Not mutually exclusive
The loss of human life is always more sacred than the loss of buildings
HOWEVER
850 years of precious European culture up in smoke in just a few hours
is a very,very,very very saddening thing
no need to strike a pose
or indulge in a cheap dig or unfunny joke
No need to proscribe others behaviour BUT
some quiet rumination and respect would be nice.

On a more positive tack:
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 11:13]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Young Parisians Are So French on 19:13 - Apr 16 with 1206 viewsqprxtc

They like Patti Smith.

Haven’t read the whole thread.
Young Parisians Are So French on 19:34 - Apr 16 with 1175 viewsNortholt_Rs

Young Parisians Are So French on 18:16 - Apr 16 by 18StoneOfHoop

Ha ha Mel.
That had me chuckling Mel
Glenda Jackson born to play the king
and you were born to play the count!

Call me a lachrimose Soft Leftie
snowflake jelly if you want
BUT
I weep for Hillsborough.Grenfell and Notre Dame
Not mutually exclusive
The loss of human life is always more sacred than the loss of buildings
HOWEVER
850 years of precious European culture up in smoke in just a few hours
is a very,very,very very saddening thing
no need to strike a pose
or indulge in a cheap dig or unfunny joke
No need to proscribe others behaviour BUT
some quiet rumination and respect would be nice.

On a more positive tack:
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 11:13]

I noticed Les Ferdinand is very quiet about all this - come on Les tell us how you are going to rebuild Notre Dame.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Young Parisians Are So French on 19:39 - Apr 16 with 1163 viewsericgen34

I get all the 'it's just a building' or the 'it's just a church stuff. I do, and am also an atheist, actively involved in humanitarian stuff, anti war, disgusted by the destruction of beautiful Yemen by (among others) French bombs, Grenfell, and all the other tragedies that get thrown at us every year. Of course I get it all.

But Notre Dame, for feck sake! For us it is much more than just a building, it's sort of the heart of the country. It's the point 0 of all roads in France, it is the first thing you visit when you go to Paris the first time, and when you visit it and think it is 900 years old, it is awe inspiring. That fire saddened me far more than I expected it would. It was so unthinkable, notre dame was always there, had been for nearly 900 years and expected to last longer than Paris itself. Whenever I go to Paris I always make sure I have a walk near it. At one point they said they werent sure to save it and it was absolutely heartbreaking!
Young Parisians Are So French on 19:41 - Apr 16 with 1159 viewskensalriser

Young Parisians Are So French on 19:34 - Apr 16 by Northolt_Rs

I noticed Les Ferdinand is very quiet about all this - come on Les tell us how you are going to rebuild Notre Dame.

Heard nothing from Lee Hoos either. No doubt he'll just come out with some more glib corporate bs instead of an honest plan to rebuild.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Young Parisians Are So French on 19:47 - Apr 16 with 1148 viewsflynnbo

Young Parisians Are So French on 19:39 - Apr 16 by ericgen34

I get all the 'it's just a building' or the 'it's just a church stuff. I do, and am also an atheist, actively involved in humanitarian stuff, anti war, disgusted by the destruction of beautiful Yemen by (among others) French bombs, Grenfell, and all the other tragedies that get thrown at us every year. Of course I get it all.

But Notre Dame, for feck sake! For us it is much more than just a building, it's sort of the heart of the country. It's the point 0 of all roads in France, it is the first thing you visit when you go to Paris the first time, and when you visit it and think it is 900 years old, it is awe inspiring. That fire saddened me far more than I expected it would. It was so unthinkable, notre dame was always there, had been for nearly 900 years and expected to last longer than Paris itself. Whenever I go to Paris I always make sure I have a walk near it. At one point they said they werent sure to save it and it was absolutely heartbreaking!

Agree with everything you say; it's so much more than a building.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024