Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research 02:21 - Apr 17 with 8075 viewstheacademic

Hi all,

I am involved in a research study looking at fans' views of sex and gender classification in sport and I am hoping you can spare a few minutes of your time to share your thoughts in an online survey: https://teesside.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/transgender-and-sport

Thanks in advance.
Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 16:20 - Apr 17 with 1599 views2Thomas2Bowles

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 15:44 - Apr 17 by robith

I know a trans person, and I would share their experience here, but the discourse suggests it won't be welcomed, and I don't want to be the snowflake who disputes the END OF mentality!

I will say though that most trans people spend their lives mainly trying not to be murdered and to be called the right name. The idea that women's sport is going to be swamped by men declaring themselves women, or that men are wearing dresses to go into toilets to sexually assault women (when from looking at conviction rates they could just do it anyway and get away scot free) is a moral panic whipped up by the evangelical right and they're doing a very effective job of it.

It's complicated issue, certainly, but one which is often discussed without a modicum of empathy

Agree
I think why would a man give up male privilege to become a second class citizen. A Woman

Put your life in danger, be ridiculed in the street and by strangers if you look different, to lose your family as many do, maybe lose your job or made to feel you can't stay, paid less . barred from some jobs ( would not want them being even a janitor) be viewed in the press as some kind of nonce, trying to trick woman and men

Never accepted by many who can't get past binary gender.

I truly feel sorry for many that just want a quiet life and have to face so much hostility.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 16:29]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 16:50 - Apr 17 with 1576 viewsnadera78

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 16:10 - Apr 17 by 2Thomas2Bowles

That's a fecking big tar brush you are painting with
While you have some valid points, they do not and should not be directed at all

I'm going to skip to Robith post

They're not directed at all transgender people at all. It is a mental health condition that needs the same care and attention as any other illness. People with body dysmorphia deserve our care and respect.

But anyone who thinks unscrupulous men won't take advantage of these situations needs to re-assess. The examples I gave before have already happened. It's what nasty people do. I don't think women should be the ones to bear the brunt of it.
Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 16:58 - Apr 17 with 1556 views2Thomas2Bowles

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 16:50 - Apr 17 by nadera78

They're not directed at all transgender people at all. It is a mental health condition that needs the same care and attention as any other illness. People with body dysmorphia deserve our care and respect.

But anyone who thinks unscrupulous men won't take advantage of these situations needs to re-assess. The examples I gave before have already happened. It's what nasty people do. I don't think women should be the ones to bear the brunt of it.

BUT they! maybe you! want ALL Trans barred from... everything, even having a shite

You sound like, they are mental cases and sex fiends that should not interact with "Normal" people.

Millions of woman have been raped and killed by "normal" men, shifting some sort of blame or higher responsibility for this to Trans is franky "mental"

And you are transphobic
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 17:07]

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 17:17 - Apr 17 with 1542 viewsPunteR

I definitely think there are legit cases where gene mutation or chemical imbalance means there are people who struggle with identity.
I was actually quite shocked to see a girl in my 10 year olds class that had cut her hair short, wear school trousers and a school skirt over the top of the trousers. Her mum and dad seem fine with it all. Is she a product of our society now and its her/ his way of expressing herself and finding her way in the world or is it a medical disorder that requires more understanding. ?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 17:29 - Apr 17 with 1530 viewsnadera78

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 16:58 - Apr 17 by 2Thomas2Bowles

BUT they! maybe you! want ALL Trans barred from... everything, even having a shite

You sound like, they are mental cases and sex fiends that should not interact with "Normal" people.

Millions of woman have been raped and killed by "normal" men, shifting some sort of blame or higher responsibility for this to Trans is franky "mental"

And you are transphobic
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 17:07]

Your comprehension skills are really poor
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 17:31]
Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 17:29 - Apr 17 with 1530 viewsrobith

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 17:17 - Apr 17 by PunteR

I definitely think there are legit cases where gene mutation or chemical imbalance means there are people who struggle with identity.
I was actually quite shocked to see a girl in my 10 year olds class that had cut her hair short, wear school trousers and a school skirt over the top of the trousers. Her mum and dad seem fine with it all. Is she a product of our society now and its her/ his way of expressing herself and finding her way in the world or is it a medical disorder that requires more understanding. ?

I've tried very hard to be polite to this post, but in answer to your question, it's the former.

I mean, you're essentially getting upset at someone wearing trousers
Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 17:55 - Apr 17 with 1520 viewsPunteR

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 17:29 - Apr 17 by robith

I've tried very hard to be polite to this post, but in answer to your question, it's the former.

I mean, you're essentially getting upset at someone wearing trousers

Get over yourself you little prick. I didnt say i was upset did i.?
Sorry i didnt try very hard to be polite.

Just to add, of course there is more to her just putting on boys clothes. She genuinely thinks she should be a boy and also has a girlfriend in the same class. She's 10. Doesn't that surprise anybody?
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 18:11]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 18:02 - Apr 17 with 1500 views2Thomas2Bowles

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 17:29 - Apr 17 by nadera78

Your comprehension skills are really poor
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 17:31]

I understand you better than yourself.

You're transphobic.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 18:03]

Login to get fewer ads

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 18:16 - Apr 17 with 1490 viewsnadera78

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 18:02 - Apr 17 by 2Thomas2Bowles

I understand you better than yourself.

You're transphobic.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 18:03]

Because I don't want men in women's spaces?
Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 18:21 - Apr 17 with 1474 views2Thomas2Bowles

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 18:16 - Apr 17 by nadera78

Try "comprehending" that very transphobic sentence.

Somehow I doubt you can.

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 18:31 - Apr 17 with 1460 viewsnadera78

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 18:21 - Apr 17 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Try "comprehending" that very transphobic sentence.

Somehow I doubt you can.

A brilliant piece that I would encourage people to read

https://www.feministcurrent.com/2019/01/18/meghan-murphy-on-gender-identity-and-
Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 18:45 - Apr 17 with 1430 views2Thomas2Bowles

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 18:31 - Apr 17 by nadera78

https://www.feministcurrent.com/2019/01/18/meghan-murphy-on-gender-identity-and-

Well I did not bother reading past the first paragraph as the first thing that occurred was this could be a meeting of the KKK about colour segregation

Them there blackies will take over, protect the white woman and child.

Brilliant indeed.

FFS

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 18:49 - Apr 17 with 1429 viewsNorthernr

Guys, come on, calm it down about two notches please.
Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 19:30 - Apr 17 with 1389 viewsWadR

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 18:31 - Apr 17 by nadera78

This is full of misinformation, fear tactics and betrays the author's malicious transphobia. (will/can address the article in more detail if necessary but want to enjoy Champions League).

There's been no found link between all-gender bathrooms and increase in crime. https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/pa8dby/the-biggest-argument-against-bathroom

Trans people have a significantly lower life expectancy than CIS-people due in part to violence against them and a high rate of suicides. When the public discourse around them is so fundamentally hateful and hostile, it makes life even harder for them. As Robith said earlier in the thread, a bit of empathy would go a long way.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 19:31]
Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 06:27 - Apr 18 with 1299 viewssmegma

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 09:10 - Apr 17 by TheChef

It is, in the end, a load of bollocks.

Or lack of .......
Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 08:36 - Apr 18 with 1279 viewsconnell10

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 06:27 - Apr 18 by smegma

Or lack of .......

Or maybe just one bollock...who knows, this is all way beyond me mate!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 15:51 - Apr 18 with 1225 viewsqprxtc

I have pulled some after a few that seemed to have reclassified themselves the next morning.
Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 16:40 - Apr 18 with 1192 viewsSharpy36

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 15:51 - Apr 18 by qprxtc

I have pulled some after a few that seemed to have reclassified themselves the next morning.

Specie morphing, that`s a whole different thread.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 01:36 - Apr 19 with 1118 viewsPommyhoop

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 03:26 - Apr 19 with 1097 viewsFredManRave

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 18:49 - Apr 17 by Northernr

Guys, come on, calm it down about two notches please.

That is very non binary of you, Norf.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Sex and Gender Classification in Sport Research on 09:08 - Apr 19 with 1052 viewsFDC

The thing that makes this debate so heated is that there are people on both sides who passionately believe they are the progressives.

Some aspects are straightforward though imo. Sex (male/female) is a meaningful biological category. Gender (man/woman) is a social category, constructed out of various attributes. As a social category we only apply it to humans - we have male and female cats and dogs, but no one refers to their cat as a man unless they're mental.

People should be free to self-identify and refuse to adhere to whatever social category others want to impose on them, be it "drunk and lairy football supporter", "black gang member", "house wife", or indeed "man" / "woman".

So far so uncontroversial imo. Where I do think things get messy is with the issue of, as trans-exclusionary radical feminists would have it, hard fought for women's spaces. The TERF side would argue that woman is a separate category that has fought hard for decades to make ground, the trans side would say that trans-women face precisely that same prejudice and violence today. I've seen intelligent, close comrades rip lumps out of each other over trans v TERF arguments and I'm really not sure I have a resolved position on it. Properly toxic.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2019 9:12]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024