Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Croatia holiday tips 23:28 - May 6 with 1766 viewswombat

Of to Dubrovnik In June then off to pula any tips from our well travelled fans ?

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Croatia holiday tips on 23:32 - May 6 with 1756 viewsdublinr

Go to Split.

Croatia holiday tips on 23:40 - May 6 with 1746 viewsqpr1976

Lovely place. Walking the walls of the old town is hard work, especially in 38 degree heat. Hopefully cooler for you. Don’t bother with the island unless you’re a Game of Thrones fan.
My Top 3 tips -
Do the Cable Car, great views over the city.
Don’t drink the water, I ended up with Giardiasis (AKA Beaver Fever and no where near as much fun as that sounds !)
Take the ferry & visit Cavtat for an afternoon. Beautiful. Great Jetty Bar with a view of Dubrovnik in the distance. Absolute MUST do.
Croatia holiday tips on 00:21 - May 7 with 1716 viewsHadders

I adore Croatia and my favourite islands are Mljet and (especially) Vis, easy to get to from Dubrovnik. You can then get a boat to Split, which is fab too. Rovinj near Pula is absolutely stunning, well worth the short trip. I made friends with a Croatian couple on holiday there about 8 years ago and now stay with them in Zagreb every year - going at the end of this month. I hope you enjoy it and am pretty sure you will!
[Post edited 7 May 2019 0:26]
Croatia holiday tips on 08:23 - May 7 with 1566 viewsFearless

Dubrovnik is great - find the bar in the city walls

Also look into a day trip to Montenegro. Koror & Buda - stunning
Croatia holiday tips on 08:51 - May 7 with 1544 viewsmakaveli1882

Wombat I am off to Croatia last week of August, Holiday swap from the Croatia v England game that was played behind closed doors.

Believe it or not a new country for me so if anyone has any tips on Split it would be much appreciate, also looking to do Bosnia for a few days.
Croatia holiday tips on 09:51 - May 7 with 1508 viewsterryb

My favourite city! I love the place.

There is definitely no need to buy a dessert with your meal. The Ice creams available on the street are superb!

The War Museum at the top of the Cable Car is a must, although the queues can be on the long side. The repairs from the war damage have been made very sympathetically so it is hard to see the new parts.

I went in June 2014 & was treated as a hero as Niko played for my team!
Croatia holiday tips on 10:05 - May 7 with 1500 viewsaston_hoop

Dubrovnik is a fantastic city, a real one off. My favourite island to get to was Korcula, a lovely laid back little place. If you fancy an excursion away from the coast, the Plitvice lakes national park is also lovely and well worth a visit.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Croatia holiday tips on 10:29 - May 7 with 1471 viewsElHoop

Haven't done Pula so can't help unfortunately.

Dubrovnik is a bit of a museum but very pretty and good for a day trip. We preferred Split as it's more of a living town as it were, so we went back and did that properly - also covered Hvar, Brac and Vis, all of which are worth a look in future if you like Croatia. A beautiful country and very nice people too.
Login to get fewer ads

Croatia holiday tips on 10:35 - May 7 with 1461 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Croatia holiday tips on 23:40 - May 6 by qpr1976

Lovely place. Walking the walls of the old town is hard work, especially in 38 degree heat. Hopefully cooler for you. Don’t bother with the island unless you’re a Game of Thrones fan.
My Top 3 tips -
Do the Cable Car, great views over the city.
Don’t drink the water, I ended up with Giardiasis (AKA Beaver Fever and no where near as much fun as that sounds !)
Take the ferry & visit Cavtat for an afternoon. Beautiful. Great Jetty Bar with a view of Dubrovnik in the distance. Absolute MUST do.

Well I'm very happy to read all this, going in August and staying in Cavtat, sounds awesome. 5
Croatia holiday tips on 11:01 - May 7 with 1441 viewsCiderwithRsie

Croatia holiday tips on 10:29 - May 7 by ElHoop

Haven't done Pula so can't help unfortunately.

Dubrovnik is a bit of a museum but very pretty and good for a day trip. We preferred Split as it's more of a living town as it were, so we went back and did that properly - also covered Hvar, Brac and Vis, all of which are worth a look in future if you like Croatia. A beautiful country and very nice people too.

Me too.

Couldn't get over the fact that you're walking past shops and people's homes in what was a Roman palace. And the size of the bloody thing!

I got there by boat from Italy which was pretty cool when you see it coming into sight over the horizon.

If you've got the time a trip inland - maybe Varazdin - is interesting. Beautiful place in it's own right but also a complete change from Dubrovnik/Split/the coast. It's like you've gone from Italy to Czech Republic or Poland in a few hours' travel.
Croatia holiday tips on 12:32 - May 7 with 1384 viewsMrSheen

If you’re on an island and a cruise ship pulls up, run to a restaurant.
Croatia holiday tips on 14:19 - May 7 with 1311 viewsElHoop

Croatia holiday tips on 11:01 - May 7 by CiderwithRsie

Me too.

Couldn't get over the fact that you're walking past shops and people's homes in what was a Roman palace. And the size of the bloody thing!

I got there by boat from Italy which was pretty cool when you see it coming into sight over the horizon.

If you've got the time a trip inland - maybe Varazdin - is interesting. Beautiful place in it's own right but also a complete change from Dubrovnik/Split/the coast. It's like you've gone from Italy to Czech Republic or Poland in a few hours' travel.

The palace area is amazing - they say that it was in Game of Thrones but i've never watched it so can't tell you if it's true. The 'emperor' comes out onto the balcony once a day around midday i think - not sure if it's every day all year round or what - worth checking out if you're going - you can sit on the steps and have a beer and let them all get on with it if you can't be arsed to watch.
Croatia holiday tips on 14:23 - May 7 with 1305 viewsspencer

Off to Dubrovnik early hours of tomorrow morning.
Will report back Sunday ...Going to two Spud fans, so Wednesday night will be fun

Saturday watching the Egg chasing final over there....No idea what the women are going to be doing
Croatia holiday tips on 14:31 - May 7 with 1296 viewsdublinr

Pula is also lovely. The amphitheatre is amazing, more atmospheric than the coliseum.
But split is the best of all. Super beaches a short walk from the centre. Loads of history. And not submerged under the tourist crowds. I remember eating black spaghetti (made with squid ink) outside a tiny restaurant in a narrow street on a hot night. Fanfekkingtastic

Croatia holiday tips on 14:59 - May 7 with 1284 viewsBoston

Dubrovnik, small but perfectly formed.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Croatia holiday tips on 16:27 - May 7 with 1268 viewsPlanetHonneywood

The Istrian peninsular is a wonderful part of the world. Great food, literally crapping history.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Croatia holiday tips on 18:16 - May 7 with 1223 viewsCiderwithRsie

I was there the summer after the Bosnian war ended and there were UN troops in Bosnia. I was in a nice restaurant with a couple of Aussie girls I'd met and at the next table was a bunch of what turned out to be Swedish NCOs. They were checking out Dubrovnik as a destination for a leave break for the troops.

They were having a nice quiet meal with a few bottles of wine and were saying how beautiful it all was, so we asked if they'd be recommending it; they said No chance, it'd be wasted on the squaddies, all they want is cheap beer and women, we're not going to let them near the place.

Then they ordered a few more bottles on expenses.
Croatia holiday tips on 00:25 - May 8 with 1124 viewswombat

Croatia holiday tips on 18:16 - May 7 by CiderwithRsie

I was there the summer after the Bosnian war ended and there were UN troops in Bosnia. I was in a nice restaurant with a couple of Aussie girls I'd met and at the next table was a bunch of what turned out to be Swedish NCOs. They were checking out Dubrovnik as a destination for a leave break for the troops.

They were having a nice quiet meal with a few bottles of wine and were saying how beautiful it all was, so we asked if they'd be recommending it; they said No chance, it'd be wasted on the squaddies, all they want is cheap beer and women, we're not going to let them near the place.

Then they ordered a few more bottles on expenses.

Cheers as always lads gonna be mostly based in Dubrovnik with last few days in pula for a GIg at the amphitheater which should be superb ,

Poll: which is your favouite foot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024