Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Krakow 12:36 - May 7 with 2587 viewsYorkRanger

Another request to the well travelled LFW community.

Spending a few days in Krakow at the end of May with Mrs York. Booked in for a tour of Auschwitz-Birkenau, but interested in views of other places to see and where to eat and drink

Many thanks
Krakow on 12:49 - May 7 with 2555 viewssmegma

Visit the salt mine. The most incredible place you will visit, they have English speaking tour guides.
Krakow on 13:13 - May 7 with 2505 viewsJuzzie

I last went 10 years ago so not sure how much it's changed. Central old square good to visit but will be like any other touristy place in that prices may be higher.

Wawel Royal Castle, short walk from the old square.
Salt mines... yes.
Auschwitz-Birkenau.... yes, but be prepared to be a bit sombre afterwards as it does get to you.
Krakow on 13:18 - May 7 with 2499 viewsToast_R

Krakow on 12:49 - May 7 by smegma

Visit the salt mine. The most incredible place you will visit, they have English speaking tour guides.

Yeah but don't do it the same day as Auschwitz like I did, too knackering.

I highly recommend doing a Segway tour of the City, good value and a much better way to get around. There's an Armenian bloke who does them off the main square called Artoo, he's was very good and knowledgable.
[Post edited 7 May 2019 13:19]
Krakow on 13:22 - May 7 with 2490 viewsKonk

Great city. Been there a couple of times and it's a really good spot for a few days mooching about. I can't remember where we ate, but prepare yourself for a lot of meat, spuds, cream, cabbage and pierogi. We ate in plenty of decent places, some of which were around the old town, but my favourite area for drinking and eating is Kazimierz, the old Jewish quarter. Lots of nice, cosy bars round there with a bit of a boho feel.

This is a good place to start if you're doing any research: https://www.inyourpocket.com/krakow - It's put together by a team led by an Anglo-Polish Fulham supporting mate, and I've always found their guides really helpful in Eastern Europe.

We didn't do the Salt Mines, but we did do a tour of Auschwitz-Birkenau, which is an essential, but understandably depressing experience. I would suggest doing it at the end of your trip rather than the beginning.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Krakow on 13:28 - May 7 with 2469 viewsstefan54

Being of Polish extraction, have been to Krakow a number of times. Despite its history, Oswiecim Brzezinka (as known locally) is a must-see place. Depending on how long you stay for, would highly recommend Wieliczka (the salt mines): Wawel Castle (the burial place of the monarchs and, since the fall of communism, famous Poles who died abroad whose remains have been returned to the country); St Mary's Basilica on the Main Square (on the hour a trumpeter plays a tune that commemorates the city's saving from the Mongol hordes in the 13th century and ends at the moment he was killed by an arrow).

If you have time go to Zakopane in the Tatra Mountains and thence to Morskie Oko (eye of the sea), which was described by my wife as the most beautiful place she had ever been to.

Again, if you have time, I would recommend Czestochowa (Poland's religious capital and see the Black Madonna in the Jasna Gora Monastery) and Wadowice (birthplace of John Paul ll).

In terms of cuisine, it is now much better but not a country for vegetarians! I would particularly recommend Bigos (sausages and sauerkraut), pickled herrings with sour cream and pierogi (stuffed dumplings). I would have recommended washing it down with cold Zywiec beer but I think that most of the breweries are now owned by multi-nationals and I don't know whether the quality has been affected. Sorry but can't remember the names of the restaurants we went to.

You will have a very good time in a lovely city that, thankfully unlike Warsaw, was not destroyed during the war.
Krakow on 14:06 - May 7 with 2403 views1MoreBrightonR

I'm going for thee 4th time this weekend. One of my favourite cities in europe. My current gf is Polish and she is also a huge fan though i first went before i met her. Its a lot more touristy than when i first went but still great.

The free walking tours are very good, especially the one of Kazimierz (the jewish neighborhood) - https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g274772-d1709545-Reviews-Krakow_ It was fascinating. The Jewish neighbourhood is general is fantastic and a nice alternative to the old town which can get a bit hectic and touristy. The main sqaure in the Jewish area also has the best ice cream ive ever had. just look for the massive queue.

Aushwitz is amazing (in a non-entertaining way obviously) but absolutely draining emotionally. The pharmacy museum is a nice small musem ( https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g274772-d3194287-Reviews-Pharmac though we found schindlers factory a little disappointing. The castle is nice to walk up to and in the grounds but going inside isnt really essential. The area on the river around it is nice when the weather is good.

Food wise, Old town restaurant is very good polish food ( https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g274772-d8412137-Reviews-Old_Tow the old milk bars are funny for vodka shots and this is a very traditional style canteen place https://goo.gl/maps/DPXKrY5bdYpdDWC78 for really old fashioned polish food. Try Pierogi dumplings, they are very good. This was sa very good restaurant too: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g274772-d1749958-Reviews-Restaur most of these other than the canteen you may need to book earlier in the day if youre there on a weekend.

For drinking, look out for the cellar bars, they are great. Singer and Alchemia in the Jewish neighborhood are great but quite young/trendy and i have no idea what you're like but they are still nice for a beer or 3.

I second using the In Your Pocket website, its an amazing free guide. They will send you a paper copy too for a few quid, well worth it.
Krakow on 14:33 - May 7 with 2369 viewsrunningman75

I booked my Auschwitz tour with escape2poland. Was very well organised picked up at hotel. The mini bus was eerily silent coming back though.

Old city is interesting and there was a guy doing free walking tours. He takes tips at the end. Very interesting history of the place and the guide was very informative. Had a couple of beers with him at the end.

There are a lot of decent local pubs. I avoided the expensive Irish ones. Also cheap restaurants off the beaten track away from touristy areas.

I nearly got fleeced as got chatting to 2 attractive women outside a pub and got taken to a clip joint. Vodka's were £8 compared to the usual £1.50 at the time and did a runner before my wallet was emptied. Dangers of booze and eastern Europe.

Otherwise it is a generally friendly and interesting city. Also great coffee and cakes to be found
Krakow on 14:37 - May 7 with 2366 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Went on a stag thirteen years ago, so really didn't get to explore much.

Can't add much to the detailed replies above except to say I loved the architecture, strolling, vibe and friendly locals.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Krakow on 15:05 - May 7 with 2342 viewsnix

The Oskar Schindler museum is worth' a trip, it's on the other side of the river to the old town. I recommend booking as it gets very busy. Next to it is a little modern art gallery, which is also worth wandering round.
Krakow on 15:06 - May 7 with 2339 viewsRangersDave

Dont forget te Jewish quarter as a good counterpoint to the 2 camps..... as thats got Oscar Shindlers factory there.

love Krakow, and if you have the inclination, a car hire and 3 hour drive will take you to the bastion of that bavarian corporal ...... Rastenburg!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Krakow on 15:30 - May 7 with 2317 viewstimcocking

I remember staying at a Jewish hotel which was amazingly picturesque and did a particularly delicious Roast Goose. Lovely town.
Krakow on 15:37 - May 7 with 2306 viewsstefan54

Krakow on 15:06 - May 7 by RangersDave

Dont forget te Jewish quarter as a good counterpoint to the 2 camps..... as thats got Oscar Shindlers factory there.

love Krakow, and if you have the inclination, a car hire and 3 hour drive will take you to the bastion of that bavarian corporal ...... Rastenburg!

I think you will find that the Wolf's Lair is a lot more than a 3 hour drive!!! It is from one end of the country to the other and about 550km in distance!!!
Krakow on 15:45 - May 7 with 2300 viewsRangersDave

Krakow on 15:37 - May 7 by stefan54

I think you will find that the Wolf's Lair is a lot more than a 3 hour drive!!! It is from one end of the country to the other and about 550km in distance!!!

you need to drive faster mate ;-)

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Krakow on 16:11 - May 7 with 2281 viewsstefan54

Krakow on 15:45 - May 7 by RangersDave

you need to drive faster mate ;-)

Or fly!!!
Krakow on 17:22 - May 7 with 2237 viewsdodge_stoke_r

Krakow on 15:05 - May 7 by nix

The Oskar Schindler museum is worth' a trip, it's on the other side of the river to the old town. I recommend booking as it gets very busy. Next to it is a little modern art gallery, which is also worth wandering round.

This is a good museum. Virtually nothing to do with Oscar Schindler by the way, but the story of Krakow through the war years. Also the last bit of the original ghetto wall is close by. We were shown this on a bike tour, also very good, that we look from a place at the bottom of the main old town square.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024