Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Danny Baker 11:42 - May 9 with 31129 viewsToast_R

Sacked from his BBC job, oh dear.

Stay off Twitter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48212693

Danny Baker on 16:32 - May 9 with 2590 viewsflynnbo

Danny Baker on 14:00 - May 9 by smegma

In his interview outside his house earlier on the news, he said he told the BBC 'to go f*ck themselves'....

His stage show is the funniest thing I've seen in years. Top drawer comedians would cut off their right arm to be that hilariously funny. I actually cried through laughter during one story at the Bush Empire.

Just booked two tickets for his Stevenage show. Missed the MK show last year so looking forward to this one.
Danny Baker on 16:52 - May 9 with 2517 viewsBoston

Danny Baker on 16:32 - May 9 by flynnbo

Just booked two tickets for his Stevenage show. Missed the MK show last year so looking forward to this one.

No idea he did ‘stand up’, does he tour in the US, love to see him?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Danny Baker on 17:51 - May 9 with 2423 viewsBklynRanger

In his interview outside his house earlier on the news, he said he told the BBC 'to go f*ck themselves'....

His stage show is the funniest thing I've seen in years. Top drawer comedians would cut off their right arm to be that hilariously funny. I actually cried through laughter during one story at the Bush Empire.

Sky aired a much longer doorstep interview - thought he put his point across quite well in that one.
Danny Baker on 18:56 - May 9 with 2312 viewssmegma

Danny Baker on 16:52 - May 9 by Boston

No idea he did ‘stand up’, does he tour in the US, love to see him?

Not stand up as such. He relates stories from his 3 autobiography books. Photos randomly appear on a huge screen on stage from his life over the years. Some will be of him and his mates say as teenagers and he will tell a funny story relating to one of his mates in the photo. If you havnt read any of his books, do so.
Danny Baker on 20:08 - May 9 with 2214 viewsRoller

I've heard him lay into the Radio 2 bosses about the lack of diversity on their channel; I do not for one second believe him to be racist.

I've seen him on both of his tours. Smegma, which story? Godfrey's funeral? His mate with the bicycle and fireworks? I still chuckle to myself about his mate jumping off the bus and colliding with a one man band.
Danny Baker on 20:22 - May 9 with 2186 viewsHunterhoop

Danny Baker on 13:06 - May 9 by paulparker

On another note a friend of Mrs P was disciplined and not allowed to take in any “ethnic” kids for a while as a foster parent for calling a baby a “ chunky monkey” whilst getting her dressed at a baby shower the baby is an African whose real mother tried to drown her and who thinks she is possessed , Mrs P’s mate has nothing but love for these kids she takes in and is devastated she also had a 10 year old mixed race kid who because of this was taken to another foster parent
These so called do gooders cause nothing but aggro

That is ridiculous. That phrase has been used for children of all skin colours for years. That is some reach to see that as deliberately offensive.

With Baker’s tweet, it is not a reach at all. It was monumentally stupid and racist trope for hundred’s of years.
Danny Baker on 20:29 - May 9 with 2173 viewsDavieQPR

Would bring the PC Luvvies out in their droves. They absolutely love a witch hunt like this.
Danny Baker on 20:57 - May 9 with 2099 viewsenfieldargh

Danny Baker on 12:08 - May 9 by jonno

I'm guessing he won't be receiving an invite to the Palace any time soon!

Unless Palace get relegated

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Login to get fewer ads

Danny Baker on 21:19 - May 9 with 2060 viewsrsonist

Danny Baker on 20:29 - May 9 by DavieQPR

Would bring the PC Luvvies out in their droves. They absolutely love a witch hunt like this.

Danny Baker on 21:20 - May 9 with 2056 viewsdaveB

Judging by what Danny Baker said he didn't realise who it was having the baby which is understandable as I didn't know either until this all came out today, the whole baby thing had passed me by.

Still one rule for one as ever with the BBC, Alan Sugar given a new series after a far more racist tweet a year ago

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/09/people-asking-lord-sugar-wasnt-sacked-bbc-racist-
Danny Baker on 21:50 - May 9 with 2005 viewsHunterhoop

Danny Baker on 21:20 - May 9 by daveB

Judging by what Danny Baker said he didn't realise who it was having the baby which is understandable as I didn't know either until this all came out today, the whole baby thing had passed me by.

Still one rule for one as ever with the BBC, Alan Sugar given a new series after a far more racist tweet a year ago

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/09/people-asking-lord-sugar-wasnt-sacked-bbc-racist-

Absolutely double standards. But disagree it was more racist.

Portraying someone of African descent as a monkey is the most racist trope out there. It will be considered offensive by most black people for obvious reasons, intentional or not. They were slaves up until about 200 years ago precisely because whites considered them closer to apes than white humans.

Sugar’s tweet is racist but on a much more niche stereotype only relevant (and unfunny) in recent years.
Danny Baker on 21:57 - May 9 with 1985 viewsCamberleyR

It's PG gone mad.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Danny Baker on 22:02 - May 9 with 1970 viewsrunningman75

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/05/09/the-destruction-of-danny-baker/
Danny Baker on 22:11 - May 9 with 1946 viewsflynnbo

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/alan-brazil-ofcom-asian-immigrat

And still broadcasting.
Danny Baker on 22:15 - May 9 with 1932 viewsHunterhoop

Danny Baker on 22:02 - May 9 by runningman75

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/05/09/the-destruction-of-danny-baker/

That article is genuinely stupid. Agree with the first two paragraphs BUT the whole pretence of his life and career being “cancelled” is absolute tosh. It’s not. It hasn’t been and it won’t be. He’s a millionaire. He is a freelancer. He has other contracts. He will get other contracts. He has fans who’ll forgive him for it being unintentional. He’ll certainly have friends do the same. I get the author is trying to find an “insightful” and “alternative” angle on a news story, but it is just stupid. It’s a giant straw man.

Bloke does something stupid and unintentionally offensive to a race. Bloke loses contract as a freelancer with one major employer who can’t be seen to condone it for obvious reasons. That’s it.

Personal accountability is a thing. We don’t deliberately fcuk up. Doesn’t mean we’re not accountable.
Danny Baker on 22:49 - May 9 with 1851 viewsCiderwithRsie

Danny Baker on 20:22 - May 9 by Hunterhoop

That is ridiculous. That phrase has been used for children of all skin colours for years. That is some reach to see that as deliberately offensive.

With Baker’s tweet, it is not a reach at all. It was monumentally stupid and racist trope for hundred’s of years.

It may not be a reach, but that doesn't make it likely that this particular bloke, who's been writing and broadcasting in the public domain for over 40 years without any previous of racism, was being deliberately offensive.

I don't say it wasn't a screw up, it was, but he didn't double down, he took it down and apologised. OK we are still accountable when we screw up by accident, but there is such a thing as proportionality in that.

Danny Baker is going to be just fine but I and thousands of others have our Saturday mornings made a bit duller. Meanwhile genuine racists are out there spewing bile and getting away with it.
Danny Baker on 22:54 - May 9 with 1835 views100percent

Danny Baker on 12:48 - May 9 by rsonist

He is or was a highly paid media professional and has a fundamental responsibility to be aware of the context in which he operates regardless of purported intent.

He deserves the sack for being gobsmackingly oblivious just as much as anything else. The world hasn't changed that much around him for what he posted to have become so much more offensive than it would have been however many years ago. Anyone claiming otherwise is a disingenuous prick quite frankly.

Returning to his old defensive wheeze now playing the victim to pompous establishment snowflakes is equally asinine. I grew up listening to him and was very fond of him over the years but the man has bought his plot, dug his grave, jumped in, and brought the soil in over himself.

spot on.
Danny Baker on 22:59 - May 9 with 1819 viewsHunterhoop

Danny Baker on 22:49 - May 9 by CiderwithRsie

It may not be a reach, but that doesn't make it likely that this particular bloke, who's been writing and broadcasting in the public domain for over 40 years without any previous of racism, was being deliberately offensive.

I don't say it wasn't a screw up, it was, but he didn't double down, he took it down and apologised. OK we are still accountable when we screw up by accident, but there is such a thing as proportionality in that.

Danny Baker is going to be just fine but I and thousands of others have our Saturday mornings made a bit duller. Meanwhile genuine racists are out there spewing bile and getting away with it.

Agree. But it would have been offensive to many, and it was stupid. No one, apart from him, knows either way whether it was an honest mistake or deliberate. I lean towards the former, but I think the response is proportionate. That’s always going to be personal opinion. But surely everyone can understand why they made that call, even if they don’t agree with it? The alternative approach opens a whole can of worms for “I didn’t mean it” excuses.
Danny Baker on 23:10 - May 9 with 1798 viewsHayesender

Ahem, BBC

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2019/05/04/bbc-asian-network-plays-rap-song-abo

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Danny Baker on 23:26 - May 9 with 1758 viewsdaveB

Danny Baker on 21:50 - May 9 by Hunterhoop

Absolutely double standards. But disagree it was more racist.

Portraying someone of African descent as a monkey is the most racist trope out there. It will be considered offensive by most black people for obvious reasons, intentional or not. They were slaves up until about 200 years ago precisely because whites considered them closer to apes than white humans.

Sugar’s tweet is racist but on a much more niche stereotype only relevant (and unfunny) in recent years.

I'm not sure thats what he meant to do, he's not that stupid.

I can see why it's been perceived that way and was obviously why he took it down but Sugar's one he knew what he was doing and refused to apologise saying everyone else was wrong before t blew over and people found something else to get angry about.

I suppose for me it is about intent, I don't buy he intended to say the baby looked like a monkey because he was black, just doesn't fit in with anything he has said or done in the past
Danny Baker on 23:52 - May 9 with 1712 viewsqueensparker

I follow him on Twitter and he posts those monkey pictures all the time. It’s just one his things, an in-joke he finds funny and aimed at all sorts of people, absolutely zero to do with skin colour.

But that’s the problem with Twitter - out of context that one tweet, shared by a gleeful mob looking for something/anything to jump on and clutch pearls about, definitely looks horrific and unforgivable.

He should have known better yes, but I think it’s crazy that as a society we can’t step back and understand context anymore, while giving actual racists more and more airtime to spread their bullsh-t

Will miss his Saturday morning show, been a part of my pre-Rangers routine for years, and this is such a pathetic and stupid way for it to end
Danny Baker on 00:12 - May 10 with 1684 viewsBluce_Ree

Danny Baker on 12:48 - May 9 by rsonist

He is or was a highly paid media professional and has a fundamental responsibility to be aware of the context in which he operates regardless of purported intent.

He deserves the sack for being gobsmackingly oblivious just as much as anything else. The world hasn't changed that much around him for what he posted to have become so much more offensive than it would have been however many years ago. Anyone claiming otherwise is a disingenuous prick quite frankly.

Returning to his old defensive wheeze now playing the victim to pompous establishment snowflakes is equally asinine. I grew up listening to him and was very fond of him over the years but the man has bought his plot, dug his grave, jumped in, and brought the soil in over himself.

Cool, so when someone makes a mistake they aren't allowed to defend themselves. Just take the racist label from Twitter and shut up, there's no defence allowed no matter what was in your heart when you made the mistake.

Hey maybe that'd even be a valid strategy but now the same SJW idiots that wanted him out will be hassling any publication or outlet that dares hire him with their usual "Hey [whatever company] how come you're hiring racists now?" in fact they'll probably call him a nazi because that's just what they do.

Nah, this is fking shit. Mob mentality bullshit just looking for easy targets. Nothing good has been achieved today. They've not gotten rid of a racist, they've just made the radio that bit worse. Great job, folks.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Danny Baker on 00:18 - May 10 with 1681 viewsPunteR

Danny Baker on 23:52 - May 9 by queensparker

I follow him on Twitter and he posts those monkey pictures all the time. It’s just one his things, an in-joke he finds funny and aimed at all sorts of people, absolutely zero to do with skin colour.

But that’s the problem with Twitter - out of context that one tweet, shared by a gleeful mob looking for something/anything to jump on and clutch pearls about, definitely looks horrific and unforgivable.

He should have known better yes, but I think it’s crazy that as a society we can’t step back and understand context anymore, while giving actual racists more and more airtime to spread their bullsh-t

Will miss his Saturday morning show, been a part of my pre-Rangers routine for years, and this is such a pathetic and stupid way for it to end

Yeh when i heard that he post monkey pics (for some reason)all the time i changed my mind on this. Its been taken out of context. The BBC are a bunch of do gooding twits that pander to other do gooding twits, as if it's somehow making the world a better more civilized place.
I knew this storey was going to get its own thread on here.
I'm sure Danny Baker will survive and life will move on for everyone by tomorrow lunchtime. Does any one know if Meghan and Harry were offended?
Twitter should be abolished, does more harm than good.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Danny Baker on 01:01 - May 10 with 1640 viewsrsonist

Danny Baker on 00:12 - May 10 by Bluce_Ree

Cool, so when someone makes a mistake they aren't allowed to defend themselves. Just take the racist label from Twitter and shut up, there's no defence allowed no matter what was in your heart when you made the mistake.

Hey maybe that'd even be a valid strategy but now the same SJW idiots that wanted him out will be hassling any publication or outlet that dares hire him with their usual "Hey [whatever company] how come you're hiring racists now?" in fact they'll probably call him a nazi because that's just what they do.

Nah, this is fking shit. Mob mentality bullshit just looking for easy targets. Nothing good has been achieved today. They've not gotten rid of a racist, they've just made the radio that bit worse. Great job, folks.

Baker's racist credentials or lack thereof are irrelevant. I don't think he's a racist either, not in any virulent and explicit sense. He posted something offensive in the extreme and naivety (however scarcely believable) is no excuse and no protection. There is literally no defence for it and the mealy-mouthed mitigation and whataboutery he and his apologists have offered as such has been pathetic.

Some people on here are apparently seriously arguing that the context of being a man who likes monkey pictures or whatever the fck is more valid than the context of his responsibility as a publicly-funded broadcaster to have the most rudimentary conscious awareness of his audience and society at large and not demean and disrespect a vast swathe of people, who are then expected (not asked - expected) to take the higher ground and accept it as banter or an "honest mistake". Oopsy daisy! Enjoy your precious Saturday mornings on LBC.
Danny Baker on 01:26 - May 10 with 1628 viewsPunteR

Danny Baker on 01:01 - May 10 by rsonist

Baker's racist credentials or lack thereof are irrelevant. I don't think he's a racist either, not in any virulent and explicit sense. He posted something offensive in the extreme and naivety (however scarcely believable) is no excuse and no protection. There is literally no defence for it and the mealy-mouthed mitigation and whataboutery he and his apologists have offered as such has been pathetic.

Some people on here are apparently seriously arguing that the context of being a man who likes monkey pictures or whatever the fck is more valid than the context of his responsibility as a publicly-funded broadcaster to have the most rudimentary conscious awareness of his audience and society at large and not demean and disrespect a vast swathe of people, who are then expected (not asked - expected) to take the higher ground and accept it as banter or an "honest mistake". Oopsy daisy! Enjoy your precious Saturday mornings on LBC.

Chill out ffs

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024