Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Danny Baker 11:42 - May 9 with 31121 viewsToast_R

Sacked from his BBC job, oh dear.

Stay off Twitter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48212693

Danny Baker on 01:38 - May 10 with 1977 viewssmegma

Danny Baker on 20:08 - May 9 by Roller

I've heard him lay into the Radio 2 bosses about the lack of diversity on their channel; I do not for one second believe him to be racist.

I've seen him on both of his tours. Smegma, which story? Godfrey's funeral? His mate with the bicycle and fireworks? I still chuckle to myself about his mate jumping off the bus and colliding with a one man band.

His uncles funeral when his Dad told the undertaker 'I'm a docker, I can lift weights'
Danny Baker on 01:50 - May 10 with 1975 viewssmegma

Danny Baker on 00:18 - May 10 by PunteR

Yeh when i heard that he post monkey pics (for some reason)all the time i changed my mind on this. Its been taken out of context. The BBC are a bunch of do gooding twits that pander to other do gooding twits, as if it's somehow making the world a better more civilized place.
I knew this storey was going to get its own thread on here.
I'm sure Danny Baker will survive and life will move on for everyone by tomorrow lunchtime. Does any one know if Meghan and Harry were offended?
Twitter should be abolished, does more harm than good.

Was Harry offended ?? The same royal prince who wore a Nazi uniform for a laugh ??
Danny Baker on 05:01 - May 10 with 1944 viewsLadbrokeR

Danny Baker on 13:55 - May 9 by Northernr

- stupid thing to do, should have seen that coming a mile away. You should always expect to lose your job for things like that, unless you're the Chelsea captain.

- the country's ongoing fascination with various quests for apologies is weird and pointless.

- Twitter is a fcking cesspit.

Totally agree. But here is a bloke that works in the media unless he lives under a mushroom he would have known the royal baby is mixed race. Added to that he’s probably got an understanding of the racist connotations attached to the term monkey through his involvement with football.
Danny Baker on 07:16 - May 10 with 1830 viewsdistortR

Danny Baker on 05:01 - May 10 by LadbrokeR

Totally agree. But here is a bloke that works in the media unless he lives under a mushroom he would have known the royal baby is mixed race. Added to that he’s probably got an understanding of the racist connotations attached to the term monkey through his involvement with football.

can everyone just grow up a bit?

Danny Baker - think before you open your mouth or loosen your thumbs.

the mob - put your pitchforks down, they're not needed here. Baker was thoughtless, not racist. BIG DIFFERENCE.

the nation - can we stop revering people just because they are born or marry into a certain family? ffs, how are we going to mature as a people while we still do this?

behold your past oppressors.

behold the status quo.

revere it.

don't get me started on liverpool
Danny Baker on 07:26 - May 10 with 1809 viewstraininvain

Danny Baker on 23:10 - May 9 by Hayesender

Ahem, BBC

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2019/05/04/bbc-asian-network-plays-rap-song-abo

And they regularly allow the likes of Farage on spewing his bile.
Danny Baker on 07:44 - May 10 with 1798 viewsQPR_Jim

Danny Baker on 00:18 - May 10 by PunteR

Yeh when i heard that he post monkey pics (for some reason)all the time i changed my mind on this. Its been taken out of context. The BBC are a bunch of do gooding twits that pander to other do gooding twits, as if it's somehow making the world a better more civilized place.
I knew this storey was going to get its own thread on here.
I'm sure Danny Baker will survive and life will move on for everyone by tomorrow lunchtime. Does any one know if Meghan and Harry were offended?
Twitter should be abolished, does more harm than good.

If you're Scarlette Douglas and you're offended by the picture, rather than say that and make a complaint it's her duty to research his background and make a judgement on his intentions rather than what actually in front of her?

Also if this was how it shook out and Danny Baker was given an easy ride to account for his other innocent posts with monkeys in them, what's to stop a genuine racist posting loads of pictures of monkeys as a defence for posting offensive and racist images in the future when they fancy?

I like Danny Baker, used to listen to him on the way up to Loftus road years ago and he's always been funny and entertaining and hope he gets another radio show (if he wants one). But you have to expect that posting an offensive image like that is always going to end like this because he's supposed to be a role model as a public broadcaster and letting him off would send out the wrong message to a lot of people.
Danny Baker on 07:45 - May 10 with 1796 viewsBluce_Ree

Danny Baker on 01:01 - May 10 by rsonist

Baker's racist credentials or lack thereof are irrelevant. I don't think he's a racist either, not in any virulent and explicit sense. He posted something offensive in the extreme and naivety (however scarcely believable) is no excuse and no protection. There is literally no defence for it and the mealy-mouthed mitigation and whataboutery he and his apologists have offered as such has been pathetic.

Some people on here are apparently seriously arguing that the context of being a man who likes monkey pictures or whatever the fck is more valid than the context of his responsibility as a publicly-funded broadcaster to have the most rudimentary conscious awareness of his audience and society at large and not demean and disrespect a vast swathe of people, who are then expected (not asked - expected) to take the higher ground and accept it as banter or an "honest mistake". Oopsy daisy! Enjoy your precious Saturday mornings on LBC.

I’d debate this further but there’s no point. You’re wrong and that’s that.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Danny Baker on 08:19 - May 10 with 1741 viewsqprxtc

Baker's racist credentials or lack thereof are irrelevant. I don't think he's a racist either, not in any virulent and explicit sense. He posted something offensive in the extreme and naivety (however scarcely believable) is no excuse and no protection. There is literally no defence for it and the mealy-mouthed mitigation and whataboutery he and his apologists have offered as such has been pathetic.

Some people on here are apparently seriously arguing that the context of being a man who likes monkey pictures or whatever the fck is more valid than the context of his responsibility as a publicly-funded broadcaster to have the most rudimentary conscious awareness of his audience and society at large and not demean and disrespect a vast swathe of people, who are then expected (not asked - expected) to take the higher ground and accept it as banter or an "honest mistake". Oopsy daisy! Enjoy your precious Saturday mornings on LBC.

Utter b0llocks.
Login to get fewer ads

Danny Baker on 08:35 - May 10 with 1718 viewstraininvain

He made a stupid mistake. Immediately held his hands up when someone flagged it, apologised and deleted the tweet.

What I don’t get is that someone making a mistake of this sort, flagging it and apologising is actually quite constructive - it’s helpful for people to recognise that it happens and it’s worth an apology.

In Jon ronson’s book on twitter hate mobs (which is well worth a read) he noted that the people who survive these things are the ones who don’t say sorry. “Sorry” only emboldens the mob. What a shitty world.
Danny Baker on 08:36 - May 10 with 1715 viewsWokingR

Danny Baker on 07:45 - May 10 by Bluce_Ree

I’d debate this further but there’s no point. You’re wrong and that’s that.

I love you mate
Danny Baker on 08:37 - May 10 with 1714 viewsEsox_Lucius

I imagine this thread would have gone in a very different direction if it had been John Terry who tweeted that meme.

The grass is always greener.

Danny Baker on 08:40 - May 10 with 1707 viewsRangersDave

What a lot of people arent considering here is the possibility he made a genuine mistake through not being totally aware.

For instance, i'm unfortunate to know quite a few tv newsreaders and reporters. Sorry not the brightest buttons on the uniform. Lots are employed for their looks (isnt that non pc nowadays?), and the majority not for their huge sphere of knowledge.

Ironically 1 transport correspondent was given the job because it was vacant, instead of moving trained transport person to the job.
They tend to regurgitate what they know, but arent very good at stuff outside of their sphere of knowledge.

The times i talk to some and mention something that was on the news (their fricking news channel) and they say 'was it?' as they just dont follow everything.

Myself, i did know that Megan was of mixed race, but was it fully in my conciousness? did i care to have it consume my thoughts, .......no, i didnt care less, so paid it never mind.

I can see how he did his posting, as he does it for laughs a lot with pics of chimps.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Danny Baker on 08:41 - May 10 with 1706 viewsBluce_Ree

Danny Baker on 08:37 - May 10 by Esox_Lucius

I imagine this thread would have gone in a very different direction if it had been John Terry who tweeted that meme.

You’re right but then I don’t remember seeing video evidence of Danny Baker calling anyone a “black c*nt” which is what we in the sane world like to call context.

Also John Terry probably finds it hard to tweet given that the unevolved fker probably don’t have fully developed thumbs.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Danny Baker on 08:59 - May 10 with 1679 viewsPunteR

Danny Baker on 07:44 - May 10 by QPR_Jim

If you're Scarlette Douglas and you're offended by the picture, rather than say that and make a complaint it's her duty to research his background and make a judgement on his intentions rather than what actually in front of her?

Also if this was how it shook out and Danny Baker was given an easy ride to account for his other innocent posts with monkeys in them, what's to stop a genuine racist posting loads of pictures of monkeys as a defence for posting offensive and racist images in the future when they fancy?

I like Danny Baker, used to listen to him on the way up to Loftus road years ago and he's always been funny and entertaining and hope he gets another radio show (if he wants one). But you have to expect that posting an offensive image like that is always going to end like this because he's supposed to be a role model as a public broadcaster and letting him off would send out the wrong message to a lot of people.

Its been taken out of context though hasnt it. ? The problem with your argument now is your saying allowing posting pics of little monkeys dressed up gives racists cart Blanche to use the same images to promote their racist views. ?
Well lets just ban all images of monkeys dressed up in human clothes just in case they get used for racism.
Banning monkey pics, or even banning Twitter wont stop racist opinions. Maybe it did cross Bakers mind that it could be viewed the wrong way but then maybe he reasoned with himself that he posts pics all the time of chimpanzees so why would this be any different? Thats not an unreasonable thought process is it?
The bbc could have handled this better. Yes someone got offended and took the tweet the wrong way but Baker should have been allowed to apologise and move on.

Stop this world, i want to get off.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Danny Baker on 09:02 - May 10 with 1672 viewsElHoop

You can't really defend this, as if he's working in the media and creating edgy humour then he should know where the actual edges and boundaries are. If he didn't know then that's his fault and if he did know then that's also his fault. So it is all his fault.

But I can't see him as racist - he was a key part of the NME team in the late 1970's early 1980's which did genuinely impact on how young people viewed racial issues and that RAR movement did change the racial environment here forever. This article isn't particularly relevant to the current debate but the bit about the nazi shop is I feel indicative:

https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/tv-radio/2017/02/i-m-rusting-away-because-b
Danny Baker on 09:06 - May 10 with 1664 viewstraininvain

Danny Baker on 08:37 - May 10 by Esox_Lucius

Of course it would've as he has previous for being a racist prat. Baker doesn't have the same previous and everything points to this being a very stupid mistake.
Danny Baker on 09:08 - May 10 with 1661 viewsRamseyR

Danny Baker on 21:57 - May 9 by CamberleyR

It's PG gone mad.

This post needs more recognition!
Danny Baker on 09:15 - May 10 with 1644 viewsstevec

Danny Baker on 08:59 - May 10 by PunteR

Its been taken out of context though hasnt it. ? The problem with your argument now is your saying allowing posting pics of little monkeys dressed up gives racists cart Blanche to use the same images to promote their racist views. ?
Well lets just ban all images of monkeys dressed up in human clothes just in case they get used for racism.
Banning monkey pics, or even banning Twitter wont stop racist opinions. Maybe it did cross Bakers mind that it could be viewed the wrong way but then maybe he reasoned with himself that he posts pics all the time of chimpanzees so why would this be any different? Thats not an unreasonable thought process is it?
The bbc could have handled this better. Yes someone got offended and took the tweet the wrong way but Baker should have been allowed to apologise and move on.

Stop this world, i want to get off.

Too true.

The real danger are the Fundamentalists in our country who are defining modern culture by persistent condemnation and retribution.
Danny Baker on 09:40 - May 10 with 1599 viewsSydneyRs

Danny Baker on 12:07 - May 9 by Toast_R

Contentious one really, impossible to know if his action of tweeting the image had racist intent, you'd think not because it's Danny Baker and to my knowledge, he's not a racist.

A chimp is not racist is it? People who associate a chimp with black people you'd assume have race issues.

There you go, this is our modern world - we used to respond to racism and offensive behaviour but now people actively seek it out often where there is none. Crazy.

The irony is that if he thought it was racist, he wouldn't have posted it because he would know a reaction would come. Very few well known people are prepared to publicly say racist things, even if they are racists, because they know it wont be tolerated and there are consequences. Christ even Tommy bloody Robinson tries (badly) to pretend he isn't racist.

A bad joke, poorly judged, but who really thinks Baker had that sort of intent? He's been around long enough for people to know better.
Danny Baker on 09:44 - May 10 with 1578 viewsRangersDave

I was listening to a few peeps comment on various radio channels yesterday on a long drive across country and quite a few mentioned that the PG tip adds could not be shown on TV now because of of the racist themes behind it!!

Now i'm not sure i ever had this in my thoughts ever. I just say the advert as chimps dressed like workers doing a job and looking great / funny (oh and talking)..

Is this racist? i mean really?

Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Danny Baker on 09:45 - May 10 with 1574 viewsSydneyRs

Danny Baker on 08:35 - May 10 by traininvain

He made a stupid mistake. Immediately held his hands up when someone flagged it, apologised and deleted the tweet.

What I don’t get is that someone making a mistake of this sort, flagging it and apologising is actually quite constructive - it’s helpful for people to recognise that it happens and it’s worth an apology.

In Jon ronson’s book on twitter hate mobs (which is well worth a read) he noted that the people who survive these things are the ones who don’t say sorry. “Sorry” only emboldens the mob. What a shitty world.

Trump being a perfect example. Just didn't give a toss about the reactions to things he said and he not only won, he's still there. But he's a bit harder to sack I guess.
Danny Baker on 09:45 - May 10 with 1572 viewsNorthernr

Danny Baker on 09:44 - May 10 by RangersDave

I was listening to a few peeps comment on various radio channels yesterday on a long drive across country and quite a few mentioned that the PG tip adds could not be shown on TV now because of of the racist themes behind it!!

Now i'm not sure i ever had this in my thoughts ever. I just say the advert as chimps dressed like workers doing a job and looking great / funny (oh and talking)..

Well I don't think it would be shown now because it's clearly not right that animals are dressed up and forced to perform to sell teabags, but it's not racist.
Danny Baker on 09:48 - May 10 with 1554 viewsRangersDave

Danny Baker on 09:45 - May 10 by Northernr

Well I don't think it would be shown now because it's clearly not right that animals are dressed up and forced to perform to sell teabags, but it's not racist.

Agreed, but like most stories this has a bigger picture...

I believe the chimps were rescue ones, taken in by Twycross, and the adverts helped pay for their care etc.

I could be wrong though, and it certainly wont be the first time.

Danny Baker on 09:49 - May 10 with 1548 viewsPunteR

Danny Baker on 09:44 - May 10 by RangersDave

It wasnt banned for being racist it was more about cruelty to the animals to sell stuff.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Danny Baker on 10:10 - May 10 with 1496 viewsEastR

Danny Baker on 09:45 - May 10 by Northernr

and veterinary surgeries were full of chimps for years with bad backs from lifting heavy objects

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024