Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Danny Baker 11:42 - May 9 with 31105 viewsToast_R

Sacked from his BBC job, oh dear.

Stay off Twitter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48212693

Danny Baker on 22:48 - May 10 with 3173 viewsWEAREAWFUL

Danny Baker on 22:17 - May 10 by kensalriser

Poor Danny is a liberal left-leaning lifelong Labour supporter.

danny may well be a left leaning, guardian reading labour supporter, i wouldnt know because ive never met him. but i would have to say his tweet was a bit right wingish [freddie starr would have loved it] so thats my point
Danny Baker on 22:56 - May 10 with 3149 viewsWEAREAWFUL

Danny Baker on 22:10 - May 10 by Maggsinho

If this board only allows one point of view why is this is discussion still up?

this discussion is still up because no one has broken any of clives parameters of free speech yet. but we shall see
Danny Baker on 23:36 - May 10 with 3080 viewstraininvain

Ridiculous: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/may/10/police-investigate-danny-baker-roy
Danny Baker on 23:48 - May 10 with 3059 viewsPunteR

Danny Baker on 23:36 - May 10 by traininvain

Ridiculous: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/may/10/police-investigate-danny-baker-roy

Is this for real?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Danny Baker on 00:15 - May 11 with 3009 viewsLythamR

Danny Baker on 23:48 - May 10 by PunteR

Is this for real?

Of course its real, if someone reports an alleged hate crime, the police have to investigate it, i am hopeful that sense will prevail and it will go no further.

Baker is quoted in the article
“I would like once and for all to apologise to every single person who, quite naturally, took the awful connection at face value. I understand that and all of the clamour and opprobrium I have faced since. I am not feeling sorry for myself. I fu*ked up. Badly.

Fair play to him, he acknowledges he screwed up and has paid the price in terms of his bbc job.
Danny Baker on 00:39 - May 11 with 2992 viewsPunteR

Danny Baker on 00:15 - May 11 by LythamR

Of course its real, if someone reports an alleged hate crime, the police have to investigate it, i am hopeful that sense will prevail and it will go no further.

Baker is quoted in the article
“I would like once and for all to apologise to every single person who, quite naturally, took the awful connection at face value. I understand that and all of the clamour and opprobrium I have faced since. I am not feeling sorry for myself. I fu*ked up. Badly.

Fair play to him, he acknowledges he screwed up and has paid the price in terms of his bbc job.

We're all suspects.
Great job guys great job. Rsonist and Robith and the like.. classic keyboard warriors pointing the finger at others in their attempt at making the world a more understanding and tolerent place.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Danny Baker on 09:50 - May 11 with 2818 viewsjohncharles

On the BBC this morning a programme called..............CHIMPANZEE

Strong and stable my arse.

Danny Baker on 10:34 - May 11 with 2778 viewsBluce_Ree

Danny Baker on 22:17 - May 10 by kensalriser

Poor Danny is a liberal left-leaning lifelong Labour supporter.

This new version of the left loves to attack itself. I guess it's because when you're trying to show what a great person you are, but you're not, it's easier to elevate yourself by tearing down the competition.

Ugh. I hate this. I'm left-leaning and I think racists are tw@ts but here I am on this side of the argument because some people take it all too far. I know one thing though, a solution will never be found on this board or boards like it.

The easiest thing to do would be to just give Twitter to these people (and this thread) and start something new but unfortunately then you'd be on there with a bunch of Katie Hopkins types and it'd be even more shit.

Hell is other people.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Login to get fewer ads

Danny Baker on 11:22 - May 11 with 2752 viewsstevec

Danny Baker on 23:36 - May 10 by traininvain

Nobody loves a grass.

Well, unless you’re on the Left.
Danny Baker on 12:06 - May 11 with 2709 viewstraininvain

Danny Baker on 10:34 - May 11 by Bluce_Ree

This new version of the left loves to attack itself. I guess it's because when you're trying to show what a great person you are, but you're not, it's easier to elevate yourself by tearing down the competition.

Ugh. I hate this. I'm left-leaning and I think racists are tw@ts but here I am on this side of the argument because some people take it all too far. I know one thing though, a solution will never be found on this board or boards like it.

The easiest thing to do would be to just give Twitter to these people (and this thread) and start something new but unfortunately then you'd be on there with a bunch of Katie Hopkins types and it'd be even more shit.

Hell is other people.

Social media encourages performative behaviour and people act in a way they wouldn’t in real life. Virtue signalling, saying something controversial for a reaction etc.

And it’s the extremes on either side which create this type of conflict. They’re just as bad as as each other. Most people are somewhere in the middle.

[Post edited 11 May 2019 13:17]
Danny Baker on 13:25 - May 11 with 2589 viewsdistortR

Danny Baker on 22:16 - May 10 by LadbrokeR

For the record I haven’t got a pitch fork but you’re entitled to your opinion. So when does being thoughtless become racism .

oxford dictionary definition of racism

"prejudice, discrimination or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that ones own race is superior"

Baker was having a laugh at the upper classes/royal family. his tweet was rather thoughtless, but if the baby had been white, amusing, imho.

the following is not aimed at LadbrokeR.

There is enough actual racism about to combat, but it's so much easier to vilify that rarity, a high profile working class bloke working for the bbc. With a tap and a click you can show the world how liberal you are, without having to take it on the streets and face it head on. I've done that in the past, I know for sure other contributors on here have, and it can hurt.

And i wonder that if Baker was one of them, the moneyed, comfortable elite who pervade that end of the media, well i wonder if he was one of them, would he have lost his job? Or would they have protected their own?

And what of Baker's career? I fear now he will become an unwitting darling of the alt-right.

well done everyone
[Post edited 11 May 2019 21:34]
Danny Baker on 20:58 - May 11 with 2410 viewsgobbles

Danny Baker on 12:29 - May 9 by LythamR

I would say fair enough if I could see what the joke that Baker actually intended was,

What joke did he intend?

It was suggesting that the Royal Family is a freak show, why else would anyone be the slightest bit interested in the birth of a baby to someone they don't know?
Danny Baker on 21:49 - May 11 with 2342 viewsStanisgod

Danny Baker on 13:25 - May 11 by distortR

oxford dictionary definition of racism

"prejudice, discrimination or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that ones own race is superior"

Baker was having a laugh at the upper classes/royal family. his tweet was rather thoughtless, but if the baby had been white, amusing, imho.

the following is not aimed at LadbrokeR.

There is enough actual racism about to combat, but it's so much easier to vilify that rarity, a high profile working class bloke working for the bbc. With a tap and a click you can show the world how liberal you are, without having to take it on the streets and face it head on. I've done that in the past, I know for sure other contributors on here have, and it can hurt.

And i wonder that if Baker was one of them, the moneyed, comfortable elite who pervade that end of the media, well i wonder if he was one of them, would he have lost his job? Or would they have protected their own?

And what of Baker's career? I fear now he will become an unwitting darling of the alt-right.

well done everyone
[Post edited 11 May 2019 21:34]

You know the answer, just ask Lord Sugar.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Danny Baker on 22:01 - May 11 with 2322 viewstraininvain

Guy who posted this needs his career ending too...

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/bnaceq/if_you_could_eliminate_a_race_
Danny Baker on 09:22 - May 12 with 2126 viewsloftboy

Danny Baker on 22:01 - May 11 by traininvain

Guy who posted this needs his career ending too...

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/bnaceq/if_you_could_eliminate_a_race_

That is totally innocent though, he must be gutted when he realised how that came out. Some of the replies are hilarious

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Danny Baker on 13:37 - May 12 with 1958 viewsLythamR

Danny Baker on 20:58 - May 11 by gobbles

It was suggesting that the Royal Family is a freak show, why else would anyone be the slightest bit interested in the birth of a baby to someone they don't know?

what i find amazing about this is that there clearly isnt a drop of royal blood in this royal baby
Danny Baker on 13:39 - May 12 with 1956 viewsCiderwithRsie

Danny Baker on 22:56 - May 10 by WEAREAWFUL

this discussion is still up because no one has broken any of clives parameters of free speech yet. but we shall see

Ah, an attention seeker. May I recommend to everyone the excellent "Ignore poster" button?
Danny Baker on 13:41 - May 12 with 1951 viewsrsonist

Danny Baker on 00:39 - May 11 by PunteR

We're all suspects.
Great job guys great job. Rsonist and Robith and the like.. classic keyboard warriors pointing the finger at others in their attempt at making the world a more understanding and tolerent place.

The people to whom Baker's tweet is directly and unambiguously offensive really don't exist to you do they? It's all just students and lefties and whatever other cliche strawmen you picture yourself heroically crusading against.

Tolerance and understanding should only apply to those who flout it, it seems.
Danny Baker on 14:20 - May 12 with 1896 viewstraininvain

Danny Baker on 09:22 - May 12 by loftboy

That is totally innocent though, he must be gutted when he realised how that came out. Some of the replies are hilarious

Agreed. I don’t think it’s dissimilar to the Danny Baker tweet.
Danny Baker on 14:44 - May 12 with 1854 viewsFDC

Danny Baker on 17:14 - May 10 by FDC

Totally agree.

The idea that you beat reactionaries and the likes of Shapiro by giving them airtime and then showing them up by winning the argument is totally wrong, for lots of reasons.

We can see that it is wrong because it has demonstrably never worked like that in the history of mankind.

We can also see that its wrong because the likes of Shaprio and co *flourish* by being demonised. You are not going to beat them by getting Andrew Neil to call them out.

You might well say "Yes well I believe in the market place of ideas and other such lovely liberal things", and that's fine. My point is just that the argument that "giving them rope to hang them self" is an effective way of beating alt-right edge-lords who thrive on confrontation is pretty daft.

Shaprio is not going to suddenly have an epiphany and realise the error of his ways after being presented with enough facts and figures.
[Post edited 10 May 2019 17:18]

I realise this is something of a sub-thread now, but this tweet is such a good example of what i mean, tweeted by an account with nearly 90k followers, and re-tweeted nearly 2k times.

It is such a good example of a classic liberal fallacy. The idea here is that because it is easy to ridicule Farage with other liberals based upon this interview, because the ideas and narrative which Farage is espousing are, to them, clearly wrong, it is some kind of victory for the liberal establishment.

It doesn't seem to occur to them that this makes not the slightest bit of difference to Farage's support, because the people who are ridiculing Farage and claiming this as some kind of victory are not, and were never going to be, Farage supporters.

As ever, reactionary right-wing politics are heavily premised upon victim fantasies, and having Farage clash with a pillor of the establishment like Marr is a great victory for Farage

Again, I'm not necessarily saying 'ban Farage from TV'. At this point it would be quite counterproductive, and - let's be honest - he's going to go down in history as one of the most important politicians of the era. But let's not forget, back in his early UKIP days UKIP were an absolute fringe party, and yet Farage was on TV all the time , way more often than UKIP's polling would justify. The BBC absolutely elevated him and made him into the liberal nightmare he now is.

We are living in dangerous times and I'm quite certain liberals, #FBPE-types, Gary Linekar, Brian Cox etc., are going to get us all killed.
[Post edited 12 May 2019 14:46]
Danny Baker on 14:57 - May 12 with 1819 viewstraininvain

FDC, some interesting points and don’t disagree with most of it. But curious as to how Lineker etc will get us all killed?

They have a different point of view to many of us but surely we should be able to live in a world where people don’t necessarily agree on everything but find a way to get on.

People just need to be a bit more accepting of one another and most importantly, let’s try to be nice to each other.
Danny Baker on 15:04 - May 12 with 1810 viewsFDC

Danny Baker on 14:57 - May 12 by traininvain

FDC, some interesting points and don’t disagree with most of it. But curious as to how Lineker etc will get us all killed?

They have a different point of view to many of us but surely we should be able to live in a world where people don’t necessarily agree on everything but find a way to get on.

People just need to be a bit more accepting of one another and most importantly, let’s try to be nice to each other.

OK I'll begrudgingly concede that Linekar may not be solely responsible for ushering in the final days

I just mean he's a good example of someone with a massive platform and not particularly well thought through liberal politics who, by quite frequently saying things on Twitter about Brexit for example, inadvertently fans the reactionary flames.

EDIT: More generally, what i mean about liberals getting us all killed is that no-one in any position of authority seems to have learned any of the lessons of the past 10 years.

Leave voters are portrayed as all being racist and ignorant and if they only understood The Facts they would all fall in to line.

Americans are all similarly stupid and racist for voting for Trump and should all have voted for the establishment mediocrity Hilary Clinton

Corbyn supporters are all naive cultists

Establishment media is apparently completely unable to make any sense of the failing centre ground, and instead contents itself by ridiculing what it doesn't understand. The Marr interview above is a great example. Farage is completely correct in his disdain for Marr's refusal to talk about the politics and insistence on attempting a series of 'gotchas'.

etc etc

In these conditions the far right is absolutely bound to flourish
[Post edited 12 May 2019 15:14]
Danny Baker on 15:59 - May 12 with 1744 viewsFDC

With regards the OP and some of the talk on here about whether or not people should be offended by monkeys, this is well put I think.

Danny Baker on 16:09 - May 12 with 1712 viewsBluce_Ree

The problem is that Twitter and other social media sites have given everyone a voice. And unfortunately the stupider you are, the easier it is to get noticed and get a bit of engagement.

It's a bit like the flat Earth knobheads out there. I'm sure that most of them don't believe that shit but by saying they do, they rile up a few people and get a bit of interaction. And as a bonus the negative attention means they get to act the victim too.

Throw in a bit of pseudo-science to make it sound like they know what's what and that's the game right there.

It's the same thing with this. People throw in a few sociopolitical cliches to make it sound like they're informed, piss everyone off because what they are saying is stupid and then can act like they're the reasonable ones because at that point the normal people just want to kill themselves rather than read more of the drivel.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Danny Baker on 16:33 - May 12 with 1665 viewsNov77

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024