Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Danny Baker 11:42 - May 9 with 30943 viewsToast_R

Sacked from his BBC job, oh dear.

Stay off Twitter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48212693

Danny Baker on 17:00 - Jun 13 with 2307 viewsFDC

Danny Baker on 16:53 - Jun 13 by Hayesender

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-43864133

The authorities aren't even trying to hide their double standards anymore

You know that's from a year ago right? Not quite sure why its double standards either to be honest -- they aren't comparable things are they?

Mr Dankula is now a member of UKIP of course, along with fellow alt-right youtubers Carl Benjamin and Paul Watson (who wrote the article claiming election fraud on the Summit website on the other thread).
Danny Baker on 17:02 - Jun 13 with 2297 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Danny Baker on 16:09 - Jun 13 by W12Mikey

It's depressingly predictable that the usual left of centre posters on this board are now defending Jo Brand's disgraceful comments. I'm baffled by how anyone can think her comments were the opposite of promoting acid throwing. "Comedians" on the left seem to have a free pass to say anything they like on the basis it is "satire" whereas if anyone right of centre had said it you would all be calling them fascists. And in this case it doesn't even have the justification of being sick but funny because it wouldn't raise the faintest smile.
Since she is freelance, I imagine the BBC could just drop her if they wanted, or at least not renew her contract, but unfortunately I doubt that will happen.

Well, it shouldn't depress you at all.

I don't get Modern Britain's obsession with left v right. Jo Brand cracked a joke. Danny Baker cracked a joke. It isn't a left v right issue. Does everything now have to be seen through a left/right prism nowadays?

For the record, I'm regarded as one of the lefties on here. I don't know anything about Danny Baker's politics, I don't know anything about Jo Brand's either. And I don't think either of them have done anything sackable.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Danny Baker on 17:25 - Jun 13 with 2227 viewspaulparker

Danny Baker on 16:09 - Jun 13 by W12Mikey

It's depressingly predictable that the usual left of centre posters on this board are now defending Jo Brand's disgraceful comments. I'm baffled by how anyone can think her comments were the opposite of promoting acid throwing. "Comedians" on the left seem to have a free pass to say anything they like on the basis it is "satire" whereas if anyone right of centre had said it you would all be calling them fascists. And in this case it doesn't even have the justification of being sick but funny because it wouldn't raise the faintest smile.
Since she is freelance, I imagine the BBC could just drop her if they wanted, or at least not renew her contract, but unfortunately I doubt that will happen.

Imagine the hysteria if Jim Davidson had come and said the same about Corbyn
The beeb used to be the best broadcaster in the world now they are a joke

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Danny Baker on 17:31 - Jun 13 with 2201 viewsHayesender

Danny Baker on 17:00 - Jun 13 by FDC

You know that's from a year ago right? Not quite sure why its double standards either to be honest -- they aren't comparable things are they?

Mr Dankula is now a member of UKIP of course, along with fellow alt-right youtubers Carl Benjamin and Paul Watson (who wrote the article claiming election fraud on the Summit website on the other thread).

I know when it's from. I'm pointing out that if someone from the right had said this about someone from the left, they'd be in nick by lunchtime

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Danny Baker on 23:32 - Jun 13 with 1952 viewsJigsore

Danny Baker on 17:31 - Jun 13 by Hayesender

I know when it's from. I'm pointing out that if someone from the right had said this about someone from the left, they'd be in nick by lunchtime

brave statement when there are literally entire careers on the right that rely entirely on saying the most offesnsive things they can and even on the occasion they overstep that line they usually just get fined. Katy Hopkins, Julia Hartley-Brewer and other number of hacks you'd care to name. you have to be genuinely EDL levels of f*cking thick while waving around a copy Mein Kampf to actually get canned for something you say

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Danny Baker on 09:01 - Jun 14 with 1778 viewsNW5Hoop

Danny Baker on 16:53 - Jun 13 by Hayesender

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-43864133

The authorities aren't even trying to hide their double standards anymore

Oh get a life. As the judge said:

"The centrepiece of your video consists of you repeating the phrase 'Gas the Jews' over and over again as a command to a dog which then reacts.

"You use the command Sieg Heil, having trained the dog to raise its paw in response and the video shows a clip of a Nuremberg rally and a flashing image of Hitler with strident music. You say the video was only intended as a joke to upset your girlfriend, whose dog you used, and nothing more.

"On the whole evidence..I found it proved that the video you posted, using a public communications network, was grossly offensive and contained menacing, anti-Semitic and racist material."

Read that again. This man posted a video in which he said "Gas the Jews!" repeatedly. It's about context. In an age in which anti-Semitism is rising, and racial hatred is growing, I despair of anyone who thinks posting a video in which someone says "Gas the Jews!' repeatedly is bantz and lolz.

FWIW I think the Jo Brand "joke" was stupid and unfunny. Just like Farage's was when he said he would take up his rifle if he didn't get Brexit.
Danny Baker on 10:24 - Jun 14 with 1710 viewspaulparker

Danny Baker on 09:01 - Jun 14 by NW5Hoop

"The centrepiece of your video consists of you repeating the phrase 'Gas the Jews' over and over again as a command to a dog which then reacts.

"You use the command Sieg Heil, having trained the dog to raise its paw in response and the video shows a clip of a Nuremberg rally and a flashing image of Hitler with strident music. You say the video was only intended as a joke to upset your girlfriend, whose dog you used, and nothing more.

"On the whole evidence..I found it proved that the video you posted, using a public communications network, was grossly offensive and contained menacing, anti-Semitic and racist material."

Read that again. This man posted a video in which he said "Gas the Jews!" repeatedly. It's about context. In an age in which anti-Semitism is rising, and racial hatred is growing, I despair of anyone who thinks posting a video in which someone says "Gas the Jews!' repeatedly is bantz and lolz.

FWIW I think the Jo Brand "joke" was stupid and unfunny. Just like Farage's was when he said he would take up his rifle if he didn't get Brexit.

So do you agree then that Danny Baker was harshly treated then for making a stupid joke

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Danny Baker on 10:32 - Jun 14 with 1688 viewsToast_R

Danny Baker on 09:01 - Jun 14 by NW5Hoop

But it was a joke though and the stupid thing here is people are offended but the subject of the joke is not the actual point of the joke.

[Post edited 14 Jun 2019 11:17]
Login to get fewer ads

Danny Baker on 10:32 - Jun 14 with 1685 viewsjonno

Danny Baker on 17:02 - Jun 13 by BrianMcCarthy

Well, it shouldn't depress you at all.

I don't get Modern Britain's obsession with left v right. Jo Brand cracked a joke. Danny Baker cracked a joke. It isn't a left v right issue. Does everything now have to be seen through a left/right prism nowadays?

For the record, I'm regarded as one of the lefties on here. I don't know anything about Danny Baker's politics, I don't know anything about Jo Brand's either. And I don't think either of them have done anything sackable.

I think the point is Brian that Baker was sacked by the BBC and Brand hasn't been.
Danny Baker on 10:38 - Jun 14 with 1668 viewsLunarJetman

Danny Baker on 10:32 - Jun 14 by jonno

I think the point is Brian that Baker was sacked by the BBC and Brand hasn't been.

Danny Baker was actually fronting a weekly radio show for the BBC though whilst Brand pops up on various shows as a comedian.

How do you sack someone that doesn't actually work for you?
Danny Baker on 10:45 - Jun 14 with 1641 viewsAntti_Heinola

Danny Baker on 17:25 - Jun 13 by paulparker

Imagine the hysteria if Jim Davidson had come and said the same about Corbyn
The beeb used to be the best broadcaster in the world now they are a joke

are you saying there's no hysteria now?

Bare bones.

Danny Baker on 11:46 - Jun 14 with 1579 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Danny Baker on 10:32 - Jun 14 by jonno

I get that, of course, jonno.

My point was in reply to a suggestion that the lefties on this board would defend Brand and not defend Baker. And my point is simple - I don't know anything about either of their politics and I think neither should have been sacked.

Danny Baker on 11:57 - Jun 14 with 1539 viewsTacticalR

Danny Baker on 11:46 - Jun 14 by BrianMcCarthy

My point was in reply to a suggestion that the lefties on this board would defend Brand and not defend Baker. And my point is simple - I don't know anything about either of their politics and I think neither should have been sacked.

Don't try and tempt us out of the bunkers with clever arguments.

Air hostess clique

Danny Baker on 12:00 - Jun 14 with 1530 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Danny Baker on 11:57 - Jun 14 by TacticalR

Don't try and tempt us out of the bunkers with clever arguments.

Sorry, Tactic, I must get wound up more. It's all the rage!
[Post edited 14 Jun 2019 12:00]

Danny Baker on 12:05 - Jun 14 with 1509 viewspaulparker

Danny Baker on 10:45 - Jun 14 by Antti_Heinola

are you saying there's no hysteria now?

Not as much as if it were the example I’ve given, look at the OTT reaction to Danny Baker imo making jokes about throwing acid is not good

Danny Baker on 12:18 - Jun 14 with 1465 viewsAntti_Heinola

Danny Baker on 12:05 - Jun 14 by paulparker

Not as much as if it were the example I’ve given, look at the OTT reaction to Danny Baker imo making jokes about throwing acid is not good

I think it's an erroneous comparison, I don't think the outcry has been much different, but I also don't think Baker should have been sacked (althoguh weirdly i also don't blame the BBC for doing it - which seems stupid I know!)

Bare bones.

Danny Baker on 12:26 - Jun 14 with 1439 viewsMrSheen

Although my strongest tendency is to wish it would all go away, there is this to consider. Baker put his post together and pressed send, and that was that. Brand is paid to say kerr-azee things, but an editor and producer, and perhaps a few other suits too, could have edited it out but didn't. While it might incline you to be more sympathetic to Baker for performing without a safety net (though no-one asked him to), the responsibility for putting out Brand's joke would have to be shared with lots of other people. Easier for the BBC to do nothing than sack too many of their own. Not fair perhaps, but I don't care now.
Danny Baker on 12:26 - Jun 14 with 1435 viewsClive_Anderson

Danny Baker on 12:18 - Jun 14 by Antti_Heinola

I think it's an erroneous comparison, I don't think the outcry has been much different, but I also don't think Baker should have been sacked (althoguh weirdly i also don't blame the BBC for doing it - which seems stupid I know!)

I think the difference is that the BBC sacked Baker, while came out to defend Brand straight away. Also Brand's comments were on the BBC, whereas Baker's comments were on his own private Twitter account.

It seems like the usual hypocrisy from the BBC where you can say or do what you like as long as you have the right opinions.
Danny Baker on 13:56 - Jun 14 with 1311 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Danny Baker on 12:26 - Jun 14 by Clive_Anderson

I think the difference is that the BBC sacked Baker, while came out to defend Brand straight away. Also Brand's comments were on the BBC, whereas Baker's comments were on his own private Twitter account.

It seems like the usual hypocrisy from the BBC where you can say or do what you like as long as you have the right opinions.

Hasn't Nigel Farage got the record for most appearances on QT? And he threatened to pick up a rifle against those who didn't administer the Brexit he wanted, as well as allegedly chanting 'gas the jews' in his youth? They also had Nick Griffin on before. I don't think they adverse to Right wing views (not saying Danny Baker is RW of course).

I'm not trying to score political points here, because I do believe the BBC is influenced and bias i'm just saying I don't think this was the case here.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2019 14:07]
Danny Baker on 14:25 - Jun 14 with 1260 viewsAntti_Heinola

Danny Baker on 12:26 - Jun 14 by Clive_Anderson

Baker's opinions are the same as Brand's.
Baker would say, and has, that what he did was an honest (an indescribably stupid, unthinking, but honest) mistake, which he delleted and eloquently apologised for before most people had even seen it.

Whereas Brand was making a joke, on a comedy show, in which comedians are encouraged to argue unconventional views, and because the entire audience was there watching it, they all laughed, because they understood it was a joke (and people weren't offended at the recording) and after the laughter Brand specifically said she wouldn't do it and thought even throwing milkshakes was pathetic.

The two things aren't even remotely comparable. And it's nothing to with opinions - unless you think Baker's post really was deliberately racist, in which case, it seems bizarre you could even think for a second that he shouldn't have been sacked for something that horrendous. Obviously, it wasn't. Baker's not a racist and his apology was enough, for me, to not have been sacked. EDIT: In fact, one of the reasons I believe he was sacked was precisely because of the argument you're making: that had a right wing personality tweeted his tweet, they would have been fired for racism, so the BBC felt they had to fire Baker, even though he never meant the racist connotation.

The BBC were wrong to sack him, but as I said, I absolutely sympathise with why they did. They're also right to stick up for Jo Brand for her joke.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2019 14:44]

Bare bones.

Danny Baker on 14:30 - Jun 14 with 1248 viewsjonno

Danny Baker on 11:46 - Jun 14 by BrianMcCarthy

With you on that Brian. Daft to sack either.
Danny Baker on 14:53 - Jun 14 with 1205 viewsClive_Anderson

Danny Baker on 14:25 - Jun 14 by Antti_Heinola

Baker's opinions are the same as Brand's.
Baker would say, and has, that what he did was an honest (an indescribably stupid, unthinking, but honest) mistake, which he delleted and eloquently apologised for before most people had even seen it.

Whereas Brand was making a joke, on a comedy show, in which comedians are encouraged to argue unconventional views, and because the entire audience was there watching it, they all laughed, because they understood it was a joke (and people weren't offended at the recording) and after the laughter Brand specifically said she wouldn't do it and thought even throwing milkshakes was pathetic.

The two things aren't even remotely comparable. And it's nothing to with opinions - unless you think Baker's post really was deliberately racist, in which case, it seems bizarre you could even think for a second that he shouldn't have been sacked for something that horrendous. Obviously, it wasn't. Baker's not a racist and his apology was enough, for me, to not have been sacked. EDIT: In fact, one of the reasons I believe he was sacked was precisely because of the argument you're making: that had a right wing personality tweeted his tweet, they would have been fired for racism, so the BBC felt they had to fire Baker, even though he never meant the racist connotation.

The BBC were wrong to sack him, but as I said, I absolutely sympathise with why they did. They're also right to stick up for Jo Brand for her joke.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2019 14:44]

Seems like a lot of mental gymnastics to conclude that wanting to throw acid in people's faces for having a different opinion is preferable to comparing someone to a monkey in a non-racist way.

I'm not sure it's possible to argue against that logic.
Danny Baker on 15:20 - Jun 14 with 1152 viewsAntti_Heinola

Danny Baker on 14:53 - Jun 14 by Clive_Anderson

Seems like a lot of mental gymnastics to conclude that wanting to throw acid in people's faces for having a different opinion is preferable to comparing someone to a monkey in a non-racist way.

I'm not sure it's possible to argue against that logic.

1. Not sure how you missed it, but maybe it's too subtle - she doesn't want to do that. It. Was. A. Joke. On. A. Comedy. Show. And a joke that she made pretty clear to anyone with half a brain was exactly that: a joke.
2. I didn't say it was preferable - I said they are two totally different things that are not worth comparing because they are completely different scenarios.

Bare bones.

Danny Baker on 15:22 - Jun 14 with 1140 viewsFDC

Ah good, Clive's back.
Danny Baker on 15:28 - Jun 14 with 1120 viewsClive_Anderson

Danny Baker on 15:20 - Jun 14 by Antti_Heinola

1. Not sure how you missed it, but maybe it's too subtle - she doesn't want to do that. It. Was. A. Joke. On. A. Comedy. Show. And a joke that she made pretty clear to anyone with half a brain was exactly that: a joke.
2. I didn't say it was preferable - I said they are two totally different things that are not worth comparing because they are completely different scenarios.

Danny Baker's was a joke as well. Saying it's a joke is irrelevant, because if someone had said a racist joke on there you wouldn't be scrambling around desperately to defend them.

Of course the way they have been treated can be compared, that's what people are doing on here..comparing their situations.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024