Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
May 14 1983 - Who was there? 13:34 - May 14 with 1808 viewsWalnut

Can't top the Oldham thread but when May 14 comes around I remember going to Grimsby on the last day of the season as Div2 Champions under Terry Venables, having clinched it v Wolves the week before. Despite it being May 14 we were subject to thunder & lightning the like of which I don't think I've seen since. Simon Stainrod equalised in front of a large away following and the Grimsby fans were very keen to "offer congratulations" all the way back to the station.
May 14 1983 - Who was there? on 14:31 - May 14 with 1713 viewsMoonshineSteve

I was there. Wearing t-shirt and sunglasses in a hailstorm. What was with that weather?

Remember standing on the rail bridge watching the Notting Hill firm coming to the rescue of a couple of Rs fans being menaced by a crowd of fishy people. Then had to run to get the train. And sat on the floor of the post carriage sharing the few cigarettes we had with Joe the punk (RIP).

Ah, nostalgia ...

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

May 14 1983 - Who was there? on 14:38 - May 14 with 1692 viewsBoston

May 14 1983 - Who was there? on 14:31 - May 14 by MoonshineSteve

I was there. Wearing t-shirt and sunglasses in a hailstorm. What was with that weather?

Remember standing on the rail bridge watching the Notting Hill firm coming to the rescue of a couple of Rs fans being menaced by a crowd of fishy people. Then had to run to get the train. And sat on the floor of the post carriage sharing the few cigarettes we had with Joe the punk (RIP).

Ah, nostalgia ...

Aah, poor old Joe the punk, we used to call him Joe the bunk due to his reticence toward paying train fares.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

May 14 1983 - Who was there? on 16:39 - May 14 with 1598 viewskingo

May 14 1983 - Who was there? on 14:31 - May 14 by MoonshineSteve

Ah, nostalgia ...

Yes I was there. We had a mini bus up there with about 14 of us. On the way back we went to Skegness, and so did a whole coach of C Mob. The disco in the pub in the evening was funny with about 80 QPR in there, the locals didn't know what to do.
I remember the congratulations afterwards as well. A fairly lively last day of the season, especially with the storm.
[Post edited 14 May 2019 17:57]

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

May 14 1983 - Who was there? on 17:37 - May 14 with 1514 viewsKerryE

Yes 5 of us went from Dunstable.

Comedy moment was when someone got soaked at the front due to dodgy guttering. The pitch was so waterlogged game would have been called off if anything was riding on it.
May 14 1983 - Who was there? on 18:49 - May 14 with 1450 viewscharmr

All I remember was that it was really raining.

Last game at Barnsley the year before was good singing to the locals “you can watch us on the box”

I remember the huge slag heap behind the away terrace. Now a huge away terrace to generate income, a leisure Centre and artificial pitches with a great academy set up.
May 14 1983 - Who was there? on 23:49 - May 14 with 1307 viewssmegma

We will fight them on the beaches.
May 14 1983 - Who was there? on 00:42 - May 15 with 1286 viewsDWQPR

Was there and did it rain, especially during half time. Players came out the second half to a pitch that was two thirds underwater. If memory serves me right Stainrods goal was initially a lob over their keeper which stuck in a puddle in the six yard box only for a number of players to run for it, all ended up in the goal with the ball. But have never seen rain of that like since. Truly biblical.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

May 14 1983 - Who was there? on 07:11 - May 15 with 1225 viewsUPPERLOFTNZ

We were in a packed upper loft, when furlong score it went mental and some massive sweaty fat bloke grabbed hold of me and we ended up going over the seat in front. Happy days.

Football is Faith
Poll: OK.. Next season. Where do you think we will finish?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024