Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Safe standing 08:34 - May 15 with 3698 viewsHayesender

Well done Wolves. Hopefully more will now follow suit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48273750?ns_linkname=sport&ns_source=facebo

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Safe standing on 08:49 - May 15 with 3070 viewsToast_R

Can QPR get this done now please, lower loft? I stood on it against Everton for the last time. Did anyone bother to get their certificate?
Safe standing on 09:25 - May 15 with 3007 viewsDannyPaddox

I stood on the old Loft (no roof) for the last time in 1980 (4-0 v Bristol City) and all I got was a sun tan. It was a nice day.

Btw: wtf is 'safe standing rail seating' anyway? And why is Wolves managing director Laurie Dalrymple saying: "This is not about safe standing". Very confusing contradictory article that presumes the reader knows what 'safe standing rail seating' is. I'm not sure what it is, I'm not a fcuking sports stadium furniture expert, and I'm not sure I like the sound of it anyway and I had a crap sleep last night.
[Post edited 15 May 2019 9:26]
Safe standing on 13:06 - May 15 with 2818 viewsJuzzie

I've never believed, not since the mid 80's, that terraces/standing was a problem.

All-seaters were rail-roaded in on the back of Heysel and Hillsborough and a way to quell the oiks. I guess it worked to a degree.

Apart from the fact West Yorkshire Police completely fked it up, it was fences that stopped people getting out of the Leppings Lane end and onto the pitch. But terraces were blamed.

When we had a similar issue during the West Ham home game, fans could simply get over the low barrier and get moved to other areas. No casualties.
Safe standing on 13:19 - May 15 with 2764 viewsToast_R

Not so sure, you did used to get surges on terraces back in the day, men, women and children all bunched in together like sardines on occasion, there were probably countless minor injuries that went unreported. Also, no accountability for thuggish behavior. Just pay your money at the turnstile and in you go wherever you want to stand, no one knows who you are.

The new safe standing format is exactly the same as seating, your allocated your ticket and that's your space over there.
Safe standing on 13:39 - May 15 with 2706 viewsJuzzie

I agree it wasn't perfect but it people losing their lives were blamed on terraces when it was mainly other things that caused it, fences being the biggest problem.
Terraces could easily have been adapted into sections with more barriers in place to prevent any surging and you had to buy a ticket (same as you would in seated areas) and you can only go to that section.

The rail system is a advance on that in the sense you have your very own allotted spot... Block A, row H, spot 22. That kind of thing.
Safe standing on 13:40 - May 15 with 2705 viewsDannyPaddox

Safe standing on 13:19 - May 15 by Toast_R

Not so sure, you did used to get surges on terraces back in the day, men, women and children all bunched in together like sardines on occasion, there were probably countless minor injuries that went unreported. Also, no accountability for thuggish behavior. Just pay your money at the turnstile and in you go wherever you want to stand, no one knows who you are.

The new safe standing format is exactly the same as seating, your allocated your ticket and that's your space over there.

Safe standing sounds like something out of a dystopian utopian novel. A Planet Of The Apes style temporary internment camp. Or am I getting it wrong?
Safe standing on 14:33 - May 15 with 2616 viewsthame_hoops

Safe standing on 08:49 - May 15 by Toast_R

Can QPR get this done now please, lower loft? I stood on it against Everton for the last time. Did anyone bother to get their certificate?

Haha yep, used to be hanging up in a frame above my stairs till the ex took it down, it’s with all my old programmes now. I remember thinking how cool it was because it’s no18 or something out of 1500 or whatever it was
Safe standing on 17:30 - May 15 with 2488 viewsStanisgod

Me and Stan jnr have one each 😁

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Login to get fewer ads

Safe standing on 17:33 - May 15 with 2479 viewsLunarJetman

I thought they sent it to you rather than you requested it? I've got mine somewhere although haven't seen it for years.
Safe standing on 18:08 - May 15 with 2417 viewsEsgaroth

Got mine

Been here since 1984. Now THAT is what you call punishment

Safe standing on 18:30 - May 15 with 2383 viewsBoston

Safe standing on 17:30 - May 15 by Stanisgod

Me and Stan jnr have one each 😁

So you and yer lad are certifiable then?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Safe standing on 18:59 - May 15 with 2344 viewsdodge_stoke_r

Safe standing on 18:30 - May 15 by Boston

So you and yer lad are certifiable then?

We all are mate. We support QPR!
Safe standing on 20:41 - May 15 with 2250 viewsAntti_Heinola

still have it framed!

Bare bones.

Safe standing on 21:52 - May 15 with 2172 viewsBoston

So, the proposed standing areas, demarcated by a number, painted feet on the terrace and a 12" diameter hole to reduce congestion in the bogs?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Safe standing on 22:29 - May 15 with 2121 viewsstowmarketrange

If it’s rail seating it will lower the capacity even more than it is now.In such a small area why not just have an open terrace again and just sell the amount of tickets that makes it safe?

I don’t mind giving back my certificate if that helps.
[Post edited 15 May 2019 22:30]
Safe standing on 01:33 - May 16 with 2046 viewstimcocking

Thank Christ. Please let it be true. To be able to stand up and sing again after all these years. It completely ruined the football experience for me personally when they made everybody sit.

I suppose we have young people who haven't experienced terraces? My God, the atmosphere was so much better. I went to Uni in Brighton, used to goto the old Goldstone Ground sometimes, no seating at all. They were in the fourth, getting six thousand people, every one of whom seemed to be standing and singing together. Much louder and better than Old Trafford or Millennium stadium or any of these boring modern stadiums, Football has literally never been anywhere near as enjoyable since. I always felt the atmosphere was more important than what was happening on the field in terms of why i loved going to watch Brighton. They were absolutely sh!t, it didn't matter.
Safe standing on 06:44 - May 16 with 1979 viewssmegma

The Olympic Stadium in Munich had rail seats the night England beat Germany 5-1 in 2001. Nice we are now thinking about it !!!
Safe standing on 09:18 - May 16 with 1897 viewsDannyPaddox

Can anyone who has been in safe-standing rail seats explain what it's like? Cheers.

And maybe compare it standing on a terrace should you have done so or sitting at a game.
[Post edited 16 May 2019 9:23]
Safe standing on 09:40 - May 16 with 1878 viewsKonk

It's like a cross between standing and seating. You have an allocated spot (like seating), but the seat is stowed away, unless for European games, when the seats have to be used. Each row has a barrier in front of it, which acts as the frame for the seats in the row in front of you. You get to watch the game standing-up, but without the freedom to move around and find your spot, as you could with terracing. You also don't get the surges or crushes because of the barriers and allocation of spots. I'm massively in favour because it would be a return to the old days where people who wanted/needed to sit, went in the seats and everyone else stood. Would eliminate most of the rows around standing/not standing and because spots are allocated, clubs/police would still be able to identify anyone being a di ck.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Safe standing on 09:51 - May 16 with 1866 viewsDannyPaddox

Safe standing on 09:40 - May 16 by Konk

It's like a cross between standing and seating. You have an allocated spot (like seating), but the seat is stowed away, unless for European games, when the seats have to be used. Each row has a barrier in front of it, which acts as the frame for the seats in the row in front of you. You get to watch the game standing-up, but without the freedom to move around and find your spot, as you could with terracing. You also don't get the surges or crushes because of the barriers and allocation of spots. I'm massively in favour because it would be a return to the old days where people who wanted/needed to sit, went in the seats and everyone else stood. Would eliminate most of the rows around standing/not standing and because spots are allocated, clubs/police would still be able to identify anyone being a di ck.

Cheers Konk. I'm still not entirely convinced, I like to be free-range and wander about a bit but your description has positives too. What impact does it have on clackers?
Safe standing on 10:44 - May 16 with 1828 viewsDorse

Safe standing on 09:40 - May 16 by Konk

Sounds like a pretty workable system. When you think of how many people attend outdoor live events without incident, it does seem that a 'special case' has been made of football.

I'm not sure that there is a definitive correlation between seating and safety at a football ground. It certainly stops crowds surging but this could be achieved in different ways; obviously crowd, surges need to be controlled but you could say the same about the opening of a new Primark store. It is more likely that allocated seating gives nob heads more reason to think before they act as they know their identity can be established in cases of nob-headery.

Frankly, in order for stadiums to be viable multi-event venues, standing cannot be the sole solution, Rail seats are a decent compromise and having more comfortable stands wouldn't hurt (my shins, as usual). Given the choice between safe standing and having less leg-room than a veal crate (Ellerslie Road), I'd take standing every time. So, more people on the terrace = opportunity to improve seating 'matchday experience' and the potential to host more events? Win win, for me.
[Post edited 16 May 2019 10:49]

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Safe standing on 10:53 - May 16 with 1817 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Terracing was never dangerous.

As someone mentioned it was the 8ft high fences.

The goal, the 20 secs of chaos and coming to a halt 4 rows away from your starting position and you've lost who you were with.

Great fun

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Safe standing on 11:22 - May 16 with 1786 viewsDavieQPR

All Wolves have done is advertise to the F.A. and everyone that they have a problem with standing at their ground. Wouldn't be surprised with some sort of official backlash.
Safe standing on 11:28 - May 16 with 1782 viewsDorse

Safe standing on 10:53 - May 16 by Metallica_Hoop

Terracing was never dangerous.

As someone mentioned it was the 8ft high fences.

The goal, the 20 secs of chaos and coming to a halt 4 rows away from your starting position and you've lost who you were with.

Great fun

The goal, the 20 secs of chaos and coming to a halt 4 rows away from your starting position and you've lost who you were with. It's cold, the forest is dark. Somewhere, in the distance, a bell tolls dolorously and you are sure you can hear a voice whisper 'You belong to me now...' as wolves begin to circle.

Wouldn't happen in an all-seater.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Safe standing on 11:32 - May 16 with 1773 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Safe standing on 11:28 - May 16 by Dorse

The goal, the 20 secs of chaos and coming to a halt 4 rows away from your starting position and you've lost who you were with. It's cold, the forest is dark. Somewhere, in the distance, a bell tolls dolorously and you are sure you can hear a voice whisper 'You belong to me now...' as wolves begin to circle.

Wouldn't happen in an all-seater.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024