Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ian Holloway podcast part two 08:11 - May 17 with 6887 viewsNorthernr

Some of the oddest radio you'll ever listen to

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/50341
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 10:24 - May 17 with 3664 viewsrsonist

Could anyone summarise anything worthwhile, I can't listen to him.
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 11:27 - May 17 with 3568 viewsAntti_Heinola

It's a good listen, he's very pro-Warbs, pro-Les, pro-the youngsters, but basically says too many cooks higher up the food chain who listen to the fans a bit too much. Some really entertaining stuff, his QPR XI is really good fun.

As I think someone else posted, my overriding feeling off the back of it is that Ollie should be coaching youngsters, or overseeing an academy. Not ours, because CR and PH are doing a great job. But that should be his home. Young players will love his enthusiasm and his work ethic, and the lack of pressure compared to being a first team manager I think would suit him much better. He'd be an incredible figurehead for an academy I think.

Despite all that, and as much as he 'fulfilled his remit' I have to say, and as much as I love him, I am glad he's not our manager anymore. His passion is amazing, but as norf says, it's an odd listen.

Bare bones.

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 12:05 - May 17 with 3494 viewsrobith

I love his passion and how much he cares, but man alive is he a contradictory character.

For example - *15 minute monologue about his parents telling him to respect and love people and that's what he brings to life. Also, Steve McClaren should be in prison.*
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 12:20 - May 17 with 3451 viewsTacticalR

'Young players will love his enthusiasm and his work ethic, and the lack of pressure compared to being a first team manager I think would suit him much better. He'd be an incredible figurehead for an academy I think.'

That's a good suggestion. He's really into being a father figure (as Gerry Francis was for him). I think it's in Michael Calvin's Living in the Volcano that it's mentioned that a lot of young players do really need a father figure.

He doesn't really seem to converse with other people, he holds court. As robith points out sometimes he rambles on for so long he ends up arguing with himself.

Football and morality is all mixed up together for him.

He was pretty explicit about his annoyance about Paul Smyth not being used.

The only thing that irritated me was the stuff about going to Oxfam. He must be well off by most people's standards, so that kind of preaching strikes me as incongruous.

Air hostess clique

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 12:29 - May 17 with 3414 viewsDando

I love Holloway's passion for the club, there is no doubt that he loves QPR and has only the clubs interest at heart. But I do feel his enthusiasm goes too far. As much as I like his inspiring stories, it feels like absolutely everything is compared to his life story. Its good to listen to at first, but I cant imagine being a player and listening to these deep thoughts every single day at training. I wonder if sometimes the players can think its too much? Who knows

No doubt he should be a part of the club somehow, but as our manager I am glad we have moved on
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 13:17 - May 17 with 3323 viewsNov77

Never bought into the Holloway love-in, although I respected him as a player and as a family man i’ve never really liked him as a manager.
To me he was always a Barry fry type figure, good at getting fans onside and making people laugh, but ultimately he’s managing expectations down to his own level of competence. Throughout my life i’ve Never thought drawing at home to Brentford was a reason to celebrate like a madman, telling fans who don’t like it not to come anymore was a step too far. As Clint Hill said, it’s about standards. serving up mediocrity and presenting it as success only works if the fans expectations have been lowered sufficiently.

The podcast was rambling, with ten minute monologues barely related to the original question.

Things that raised an eyebrow....

Leaving les out of his all time team, really? Furlong ahead of one of the best strikers in premier league history? Wonder what terms he and les parted on?

His comments about mclaren didn’t reflect well on him and contradict his claim that he doesn’t criticise others, also called wegerle a lazy pig.

No doubt his passion at times was inspiring, but you need more than that, warnock had passion, but he also knew what he was doing, he could communicate in simple terms and players understood their roles, not sure Holloway’s verbosity has the same clarity of thought behind it.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 13:25 - May 17 with 3284 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 13:17 - May 17 by Nov77

Never bought into the Holloway love-in, although I respected him as a player and as a family man i’ve never really liked him as a manager.
To me he was always a Barry fry type figure, good at getting fans onside and making people laugh, but ultimately he’s managing expectations down to his own level of competence. Throughout my life i’ve Never thought drawing at home to Brentford was a reason to celebrate like a madman, telling fans who don’t like it not to come anymore was a step too far. As Clint Hill said, it’s about standards. serving up mediocrity and presenting it as success only works if the fans expectations have been lowered sufficiently.

The podcast was rambling, with ten minute monologues barely related to the original question.

Leaving les out of his all time team, really? Furlong ahead of one of the best strikers in premier league history? Wonder what terms he and les parted on?

His comments about mclaren didn’t reflect well on him and contradict his claim that he doesn’t criticise others, also called wegerle a lazy pig.

No doubt his passion at times was inspiring, but you need more than that, warnock had passion, but he also knew what he was doing, he could communicate in simple terms and players understood their roles, not sure Holloway’s verbosity has the same clarity of thought behind it.

Think you're being a bit harsh there. did you hear the bit where he was talking about Les? they're still very obviously on good terms. His XI was off the cuff, not like he prepared it and Furlong was immense for him - absolutely immense. In that context I can understand why he picked him.

The Wegerle thing was clearly footballer 'bantz'.

He also admitted he was wrong to have a go at fans after Brentford.

and I'll celebrate coming from 2 down after the 90th minute, whoever it's against! I don't think he served up mediocrity either, particularly in his first spell, but that's just opinion. Plenty of people were furious we didn't win league one by 10 points.

Agree with a lot of your post though. Olly talked about the sturggles in league one, but the fact was we were still paying big wages even then. Few other teams, if any, could have afforded the likes of Birch, Furs, Gallen, Shittu etc.

Bare bones.

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 13:33 - May 17 with 3245 viewsElHoop

For me his words in that just go in one ear and out of the other unfortunately. It's like hearing words out of a 'random words table' if there were such a thing. Clearly he's got his heart in the right place when it comes to our club, but i couldn't go into work and listen to that every day. I'd switch off completely or go crazy, or both.
Login to get fewer ads

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 13:46 - May 17 with 3198 viewsqprd

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 13:17 - May 17 by Nov77

to be fair, he was asked a question on the fly and probably just forgot les. probably just an omission, not easy to answer questions extemporaneously in front of a big crowd
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 13:58 - May 17 with 3178 viewsNov77

I doubt if he forgot that he played alongside les. One thing that podcast taught us is that man holds a grudge.

Also, he said he never got on with macca, which is surprising, thought macca would have appreciated his work rate, wonder what that was about?

Another eyebrow raising comment, he says bircham basically got him the job, but didn’t elaborate.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 14:46 - May 17 with 3091 viewsSimonJames

Sounded to me like he'd been on the Westons Extra for a couple of hours.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 14:49 - May 17 with 3081 viewsqprd

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 13:58 - May 17 by Nov77

I doubt if he forgot that he played alongside les. One thing that podcast taught us is that man holds a grudge.

Also, he said he never got on with macca, which is surprising, thought macca would have appreciated his work rate, wonder what that was about?

Another eyebrow raising comment, he says bircham basically got him the job, but didn’t elaborate.

This is a bit before my time, but is his Clark Carlisle story legit? That he said the bird in a taxi quote to deflect attention away from Clark Carlisle going awol...

Ollie wasnt exactly managing Manchester United and being interviewed on MOTD- I find it hard to believe that, pre-social media, there was much media interest in a meaningless third division match between Chesterfield and QPR and young relative unknown Carlisle? think about how little media attention and interest there was when caulker was dropped, freeman got taken out at halftime against hull this season, grant hall gets injured...

I've always suspected he just said something stupid that he was embarrassed of and then retrospectively spun into a tale that made him into a bit of a hero

but i might be too cynical
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 14:52 - May 17 with 3069 viewsStanisgod

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 13:46 - May 17 by qprd

to be fair, he was asked a question on the fly and probably just forgot les. probably just an omission, not easy to answer questions extemporaneously in front of a big crowd

Extemporaneously. Must remember that for scrabble 😜

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 15:02 - May 17 with 3031 viewsMick_S

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 14:52 - May 17 by Stanisgod

Extemporaneously. Must remember that for scrabble 😜

Official Scrabble (OSPD4)
Yes!(75 pts)

No need to thank me.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 15:04 - May 17 with 3021 viewsBAWHoops

Bless him I love Ollie, but the podcast was at times unlistenable.

QPRPod is great, but they needed to try and reign Ollie and get him to actually give a coherent interview. He's had an incredibly diverse and interesting managerial career. Promotion with us through adversity, the Blackpool miracle, the Leicester debacle, the wonderful team he built at Plymouth. Needed one of the 4 hosts to set some form of structure to the interview.

Also, when he cried about being inducted into Forever R's I was waiting for someone to say 'don't get to emotional Ollie, they've bloody let Peter Ramage in for gods sake!'

A wonderful man and Icon of the club, but we have to move on now.

On a side note, I wish the pod would stop going back to the well of Mackie, Hill, Derry, Rowlands, Gallen etc etc. I wan't to hear some tales and stories from other former players. Would love Onouha to come on as he would be able to be a bit loser lipped. Even someone like Akos, Radek Cerny or Djibril Cisse!

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 15:21 - May 17 with 2987 viewsNov77

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 15:04 - May 17 by BAWHoops

QPRPod is great, but they needed to try and reign Ollie and get him to actually give a coherent interview. He's had an incredibly diverse and interesting managerial career. Promotion with us through adversity, the Blackpool miracle, the Leicester debacle, the wonderful team he built at Plymouth. Needed one of the 4 hosts to set some form of structure to the interview.

Also, when he cried about being inducted into Forever R's I was waiting for someone to say 'don't get to emotional Ollie, they've bloody let Peter Ramage in for gods sake!'

On a side note, I wish the pod would stop going back to the well of Mackie, Hill, Derry, Rowlands, Gallen etc etc. I wan't to hear some tales and stories from other former players. Would love Onouha to come on as he would be able to be a bit loser lipped. Even someone like Akos, Radek Cerny or Djibril Cisse!

Agree, keep going to the same people you get the same stories.

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 15:42 - May 17 with 2940 viewsswisscottage

A pod I would pay to listen to would be Gerry in two parts .. one covering his playing career, the other as manager .. trying to ignore the second coming :).
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 15:50 - May 17 with 2912 viewsNorthernr

Agree with a lot of that, I struggled listening to most of it if I'm honest because he was just too Ian Holloway, and he kept turning every answer back to 'that's why I'm telling you to give Warburton time'. My run is traumatic enough without being subjected to that during it.

Though to stick up for the pod guys on two points...

- booking guests isn't easy, for a small indie podcast like that they've either got to put requests into the club if the players are still there (at which point they immediately get all the "mouthpiece for the club, in the club's pocket" bullsht), or rely on their contacts or cold calling/emailing people. Sometimes they have a guest for the sake of having a guest when they'd be better off without, and sometimes it does get same old faces same old stories (we get it, there was a big fight at Stoke 15 years ago), but it's not easy.

- I've interviewed a lot of people in film, television, football, local politics. Once interviewed Nick Griffin while he was carving a hog roast and I was under instructions from my editor to not "get anything too controversial". Interviewed David Cameron, worst handshake I've ever been on the end of. Ian Holloway is the toughest interview I've ever done. You get an hour with him, that's literally going to be six questions, four of which he won't really answer, and two of which he'll get his back up about. You then publish what you get and of course people go "what about this, why didn't you ask him about this" and the truth is he's like no other interview subject on the planet. I thought I could get round it by asking very simple, direct questions that I thought you couldn't do anything with other than give a direct answer. Wrong.

Prime example, after he'd given me ten minutes on encouraging players, putting an arm round them, crowds getting on their back etc I went with

"But you've come out publicly several times and criticised Idrissa Sylla, some would say very harshly, why doesn't that apply to him?"

After he'd initially denied this and I'd quoted him back to him he set off on the Clarke Carlisle story for a quarter of an hour. And when you try and interject and say, "yeh, but, Sylla", he just goes, "that's what I;m trying to say, it's not about Sylla, it's about people...." and off he goes again.

He's impossible basically. I love him, but I came out of a 90 minute interview with him wanting to blow my brains out.

It's here, should you want to relive my pain...

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/46457/ollie-on-tra
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 17:10 - May 17 with 2790 viewsthame_hoops

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 15:21 - May 17 by Nov77

Agree, keep going to the same people you get the same stories.

What always sticks out for me when Gallen is on is how all his stories revolve around booze and p155 ups. Imagine how much better he’d have been if he wasn’t on the drink all the time

Never met any of the guys but they give up their time and do a great job, as much as it’s hard to listen too (sometimes) perspective is needed, I’ve been guilty of being critical of it in the past, I couldn’t do what they do. that said Fraser is excellent.
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 17:29 - May 17 with 2746 viewsDejR_vu

He was the right man at the right time the first time round. He did a great job in incredibly difficult circumstances. Should have been left at that.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 17:47 - May 17 with 2698 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 15:50 - May 17 by Northernr

Agree with a lot of that, I struggled listening to most of it if I'm honest because he was just too Ian Holloway, and he kept turning every answer back to 'that's why I'm telling you to give Warburton time'. My run is traumatic enough without being subjected to that during it.

Though to stick up for the pod guys on two points...

- booking guests isn't easy, for a small indie podcast like that they've either got to put requests into the club if the players are still there (at which point they immediately get all the "mouthpiece for the club, in the club's pocket" bullsht), or rely on their contacts or cold calling/emailing people. Sometimes they have a guest for the sake of having a guest when they'd be better off without, and sometimes it does get same old faces same old stories (we get it, there was a big fight at Stoke 15 years ago), but it's not easy.

- I've interviewed a lot of people in film, television, football, local politics. Once interviewed Nick Griffin while he was carving a hog roast and I was under instructions from my editor to not "get anything too controversial". Interviewed David Cameron, worst handshake I've ever been on the end of. Ian Holloway is the toughest interview I've ever done. You get an hour with him, that's literally going to be six questions, four of which he won't really answer, and two of which he'll get his back up about. You then publish what you get and of course people go "what about this, why didn't you ask him about this" and the truth is he's like no other interview subject on the planet. I thought I could get round it by asking very simple, direct questions that I thought you couldn't do anything with other than give a direct answer. Wrong.

Prime example, after he'd given me ten minutes on encouraging players, putting an arm round them, crowds getting on their back etc I went with

"But you've come out publicly several times and criticised Idrissa Sylla, some would say very harshly, why doesn't that apply to him?"

After he'd initially denied this and I'd quoted him back to him he set off on the Clarke Carlisle story for a quarter of an hour. And when you try and interject and say, "yeh, but, Sylla", he just goes, "that's what I;m trying to say, it's not about Sylla, it's about people...." and off he goes again.

He's impossible basically. I love him, but I came out of a 90 minute interview with him wanting to blow my brains out.

It's here, should you want to relive my pain...

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/46457/ollie-on-tra

I had real sympathy for the hosts in there. If even Finney is struggling to get a word in, you know it's not easy. Plus Olly's so likeable you don't want to butt in or appear rude, especially when he's given up his spare time for nothing. you also don't want listeners to think you think you're making it all about yourself! It's a tightrope.

I've interviewed a lot of people too, and with talkers like him, it's really hard - you don't know what they're building to and you constantly think there might be gold around the corner if you just let them keep chatting.

Bare bones.

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 18:34 - May 17 with 2607 viewssmegma

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 15:02 - May 17 by Mick_S

Official Scrabble (OSPD4)
Yes!(75 pts)

No need to thank me.

But impossible as you only get 7 tiles.
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 18:49 - May 17 with 2572 viewssmegma

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 12:20 - May 17 by TacticalR

'Young players will love his enthusiasm and his work ethic, and the lack of pressure compared to being a first team manager I think would suit him much better. He'd be an incredible figurehead for an academy I think.'

That's a good suggestion. He's really into being a father figure (as Gerry Francis was for him). I think it's in Michael Calvin's Living in the Volcano that it's mentioned that a lot of young players do really need a father figure.

He doesn't really seem to converse with other people, he holds court. As robith points out sometimes he rambles on for so long he ends up arguing with himself.

Football and morality is all mixed up together for him.

He was pretty explicit about his annoyance about Paul Smyth not being used.

The only thing that irritated me was the stuff about going to Oxfam. He must be well off by most people's standards, so that kind of preaching strikes me as incongruous.

Annoyance at Paul Smyth not being used.

A year ago Smyth and BOS absolutely destroyed Wednesday on a Tuesday night. 3-0 up on 15 minutes we declared at 4-2. Smyth was dropped 4 days later. After a poor performance he admitted his mistake in dropping him.

He never slags people off. I was invited to Harlington a couple of years ago along with about a dozen fans. He spent all day all day slagging off Adel saying what a disgrace he was etc... a player he had never worked with.

Then he told us about Ravel Morrison who was training with a depleted squad as it was international week. He told us how Ravel was always turning up late for training and that he was a wrong 'un. 10 days later he picked Ravel to start against the best team in the league Brighton in a live game on TV. To say his performance was embarrassingly pathetic is an understatement.

Proving Ollie is a hypocrite and has a memory like a sieve. Yet I still like him for what he did in 2002-20004.
[Post edited 17 May 2019 18:54]
Ian Holloway podcast part two on 18:53 - May 17 with 2556 viewspaulparker

Good post , I’ve moved on from Olly but some of the flack he gets on here is insane the usual suspects hate anyone it seems who have been successful at QPR

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 18:56 - May 17 with 2542 viewsLunarJetman

Ian Holloway podcast part two on 18:49 - May 17 by smegma

Annoyance at Paul Smyth not being used.

A year ago Smyth and BOS absolutely destroyed Wednesday on a Tuesday night. 3-0 up on 15 minutes we declared at 4-2. Smyth was dropped 4 days later. After a poor performance he admitted his mistake in dropping him.

He never slags people off. I was invited to Harlington a couple of years ago along with about a dozen fans. He spent all day all day slagging off Adel saying what a disgrace he was etc... a player he had never worked with.

Then he told us about Ravel Morrison who was training with a depleted squad as it was international week. He told us how Ravel was always turning up late for training and that he was a wrong 'un. 10 days later he picked Ravel to start against the best team in the league Brighton in a live game on TV. To say his performance was embarrassingly pathetic is an understatement.

Proving Ollie is a hypocrite and has a memory like a sieve. Yet I still like him for what he did in 2002-20004.
[Post edited 17 May 2019 18:54]

Wow he’s still with us then and will be for the next 17,985 years!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024