Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rhodes - The island not the chef... 09:42 - May 21 with 3917 viewsLoftusR

Off to Greece in the summer and plan to spend four night on Rhodes.

Any recommendations for a specific beach / resort / town to stay in or any good hotels / apartments?

Finally other than sitting by the beach / pool what are the best things to do / see / eat?

The only place I have heard of is Falaraki which I believe is 18-25 central, we are a family of five, so night clubs to 5.00am are no longer my thing!

As always thanks for any advice
Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 09:48 - May 21 with 3898 viewsMick_S

Haven't been for a while - stay away from Faliraki. My friends loved Lindos, not been myself; we were in Rhodes Town which is pretty lively, but also family friendly.

https://www.discovergreece.com/en/greek-islands/dodecanese/rhodes

I've been having a nose on TripAdvisor - Faliraki is still lively along the bar street/strip, but it's easily avoided. Not for me, though. I'm crapping myself because we've booked with Thomas Cook.
[Post edited 21 May 2019 9:59]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 10:16 - May 21 with 3852 viewsozexile

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 09:48 - May 21 by Mick_S

Haven't been for a while - stay away from Faliraki. My friends loved Lindos, not been myself; we were in Rhodes Town which is pretty lively, but also family friendly.

I've been having a nose on TripAdvisor - Faliraki is still lively along the bar street/strip, but it's easily avoided. Not for me, though. I'm crapping myself because we've booked with Thomas Cook.

Really loved Rhodes old town. Lindos was great to. Falaraki.....grim.
Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 10:29 - May 21 with 3837 viewsLoftusR

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 09:48 - May 21 by Mick_S

Would you recommend Rhodes Town as opposed to one of the beach towns like Lindos? Is there a beach nearby or is it more like a city break (I'm thinking Dubrovnik for example)

Based on two responses so far we have a 100% feedback that Falaraki is a sh1t hole
[Post edited 21 May 2019 11:27]
Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 10:50 - May 21 with 3802 viewspaulparker

Rhodes town is fantastic and excellent for shopping ,
Went Pefkos the other year which was also really nice and plenty to do for everyone
Lindos is ok I thought it was a bit overrated although I got to see Louie Vega play there
Falaraki I went to in 93 , it was messy then so god knows what it’s like now, pulled some right filth especially this bird from reading

If I were you I would look at the old town or pefkos

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 10:50 - May 21 with 3802 viewsMick_S

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 10:29 - May 21 by LoftusR

Would you recommend Rhodes Town as opposed to one of the beach towns like Lindos? Is there a beach nearby or is it more like a city break (I'm thinking Dubrovnik for example)

Based on two responses so far we have a 100% feedback that Falaraki is a sh1t hole
[Post edited 21 May 2019 11:27]

From memory, the beach in Rhodes Town isn't all that. I think it could be both the types of holiday you described - maybe depends how old your kids are? We always went for beach/hotel holidays as it kept the kids occupied.
I quite fancy Lindos for next year now!

Now I don't after reading P.P's coment.
[Post edited 21 May 2019 10:51]

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 11:53 - May 21 with 3738 viewspaulparker

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 10:50 - May 21 by Mick_S

From memory, the beach in Rhodes Town isn't all that. I think it could be both the types of holiday you described - maybe depends how old your kids are? We always went for beach/hotel holidays as it kept the kids occupied.
I quite fancy Lindos for next year now!

Now I don't after reading P.P's coment.
[Post edited 21 May 2019 10:51]

I just found lindos to expensive and the old town was full of Italian tourists, if you go pefkos it’s only a 15 minute drive From lindos

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 12:15 - May 21 with 3711 viewsLoftusR

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 10:50 - May 21 by paulparker

Rhodes town is fantastic and excellent for shopping ,
Went Pefkos the other year which was also really nice and plenty to do for everyone
Lindos is ok I thought it was a bit overrated although I got to see Louie Vega play there
Falaraki I went to in 93 , it was messy then so god knows what it’s like now, pulled some right filth especially this bird from reading

If I were you I would look at the old town or pefkos

Just going through the responses with Mrs LoftusR, this comment stood out....

"I went to in 93 , it was messy then so god knows what it’s like now, pulled some right filth especially this bird from reading"

Oh well another stereotype reinforced
Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 12:28 - May 21 with 3684 viewsMick_S

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 11:53 - May 21 by paulparker

I just found lindos to expensive and the old town was full of Italian tourists, if you go pefkos it’s only a 15 minute drive From lindos

PP - Having a look at this for next year(maybe). Did you go to Symi, by any chance - looks rather nice!

Is this a bit mumsnet?

Login to get fewer ads

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 12:53 - May 21 with 3656 viewspaulparker

Yeah spent a couple of nights in symi, loverly place, especially the harbour well worth a visit

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 12:58 - May 21 with 3646 viewsLoftusR

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 12:53 - May 21 by paulparker

Yeah spent a couple of nights in symi, loverly place, especially the harbour well worth a visit

We're actually going to Symi on this trip. Staying 10 minutes up the coast from the harbour in some random Taverna. Pretty basic but literally on a small harbour / beach front.

Any other recommendations?
Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 13:07 - May 21 with 3638 viewsMick_S

Perfect.

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 15:12 - May 21 with 3556 viewsloftboy

Been twice in the last two years, Tsambiki beach is excellent, love the whole island, went to Falaraki for the day and the police have clamped down on the shit Brit behaviour, there’s a beach there called paradise beach which is a bit rocky but again beautiful, drove around the mountain side and again breathtaking views and lots of non tourist based tavernas which were cheap and great quality. As someone said Rhodes beach isn’t great although I did dive off the high diving board that’s in the sea there.
Rhodes castle is great took forever to walk round the outside, and the middle has a Market/Bazaar, managed to get a drink in a glass boot which held 4 pints, perfect while I got over the walk and the mrs looked round the stores.
I stayed in a Village called pastida in the garden hotel, very quiet but has a huge pool, the village has 4 Tavernas and although not on the beach is very friendly.
[Post edited 21 May 2019 15:17]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 15:24 - May 21 with 3537 viewsMick_S

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 15:12 - May 21 by loftboy

Been twice in the last two years, Tsambiki beach is excellent, love the whole island, went to Falaraki for the day and the police have clamped down on the shit Brit behaviour, there’s a beach there called paradise beach which is a bit rocky but again beautiful, drove around the mountain side and again breathtaking views and lots of non tourist based tavernas which were cheap and great quality. As someone said Rhodes beach isn’t great although I did dive off the high diving board that’s in the sea there.
Rhodes castle is great took forever to walk round the outside, and the middle has a Market/Bazaar, managed to get a drink in a glass boot which held 4 pints, perfect while I got over the walk and the mrs looked round the stores.
I stayed in a Village called pastida in the garden hotel, very quiet but has a huge pool, the village has 4 Tavernas and although not on the beach is very friendly.

I was given that boot without asking for it. Favourite memory of Rhodes Town beach was when a hotel across the road emptied its raw sewerage into the sea where my mates were all having a swim.

Yammas!

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 15:35 - May 21 with 3515 viewsBoston

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 15:24 - May 21 by Mick_S

I was given that boot without asking for it. Favourite memory of Rhodes Town beach was when a hotel across the road emptied its raw sewerage into the sea where my mates were all having a swim.

Yammas!

So stay away from Nick Rhodes, he’s got no respect for Planet Earth, eh?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 16:14 - May 21 with 3482 viewspaulparker

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 15:12 - May 21 by loftboy

Yeah that glass boot, they must know whose English and who isnt as they ask you if you want a large or small, us English being English always for go for a large thinking it’s a pint and then low and behold a big boot appears with a gallon of beer to the waiters amusement
Mind you that bar is great for people watching

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 17:56 - May 21 with 3387 viewsGloucs_R

Falaraki hasn't been a party Mecca for years. They put an end to that. It's now full of Russians staying in 5 star all inclusive hotels and the town is going bust. And the moral of the story is...

Anyway, watch out for salt water swimming pools... Seems to be taking over and my kids bloody hate them.

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 01:45 - May 22 with 3243 viewsBoston

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 12:15 - May 21 by LoftusR

Just going through the responses with Mrs LoftusR, this comment stood out....

"I went to in 93 , it was messy then so god knows what it’s like now, pulled some right filth especially this bird from reading"

Oh well another stereotype reinforced

What part of Reading is Mrs Loftus from?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 10:39 - Jun 3 with 2967 viewsloftboy

Off to Pastida on the 18th , the family who run the garden hotel have had a fall out and the daughter has opened up her own hotel , 16 swim up suites , first day of opening is the 15th so let’s hope it’s not a “carry on abroad” experience. Only downside is flying Ryan air, 4 hours in their seats will be a nightmare.

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 05:01 - Jun 18 with 2722 viewsloftboy

Just at Stanstead, departing for Rhodes in 1 1/2 hours. Can almost taste the Mythos

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 06:39 - Jun 18 with 2684 viewstimcocking

Falaraki is grim.

Although, not the place itself per se, still nice and hot, with cheap food and booze and nice sea, so i had a great time, just loads of drunken northern girls and fellas with white trainers and checked shirts...
[Post edited 18 Jun 2019 6:42]
Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 08:06 - Jun 18 with 2647 viewsGloucs_R

Rhodes - The island not the chef... on 06:39 - Jun 18 by timcocking

Falaraki is grim.

Although, not the place itself per se, still nice and hot, with cheap food and booze and nice sea, so i had a great time, just loads of drunken northern girls and fellas with white trainers and checked shirts...
[Post edited 18 Jun 2019 6:42]

When did you go there last? I've not been done the late 90s but heard it cleared itself up and is no longer a party mecca

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024