Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
UFC 1 02:41 - May 28 with 2778 viewstimcocking

The joys of the internet. For anybody interested. Quite high quality. They don't even have the rules worked out, some cheeky head butts. It's a knockout tournament a la Enter the Dragon done, on one night. There are some great early UFCs actually. Tank Abbott always a favourite to watch.

Including the man, the legend, Royce (that's Hoyce) Gracie. Absolutely mind blowing to think he has the guts to climb in that ring weighing 176 pounds (12 stone 8, or 80kg) and doesn't even know how to box properly. Even more mind-blowing to think he cleans up. Just doesn't seem possible.

I don't like Jiu Jitsu, bloody boring imo, but you have to hand it to him, balls of steel. For anybody who doesn't know, Gracie's are the most famous Jiu Jitsu family of all time from Brazil. Royce Gracie one of the most famous fighters of all time. Small and skinny, can't punch, came and beat everybody when the world didn't know what Jiu Jitsu was. Really was an incredible feat. It basically was like the small nerd in the class beating up all the huge bullies. To step in the ring against the likes of Ken Shamrock in those red trunks like something out of a horror movie, giving away 50 lbs...that's real guts. Stupidity even. I think all humans should be very proud of his efforts. Even if he's kinda dull to watch.

Ps Commentary by the legendary NFL Running Back Jim Brown and Bill 'Superfoot' Wallace unbeaten former champ and cool as hell.
[Post edited 28 May 2019 4:03]
UFC 1 on 08:39 - May 28 with 2676 viewsPommyhoop

Got that on a disc somewhere...
You're right Royce is a legend. He totally revolutionized Martial Arts...
To the point that there are virtually no Asian World Champions in M.M.A because Jiu-Jitsu ( especially Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu which his Dad invented) is the great equalizer
[Post edited 28 May 2019 8:58]

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

UFC 1 on 09:52 - May 28 with 2630 viewsrobith

There's a ESPN 40 for 40 podcast about it that is essential listening. I don't really care for UFC but it's a sensational listen
UFC 1 on 10:13 - May 28 with 2620 viewsPommyhoop

The good old days. When there was only 2 weights Heavy (over199lb) and Light (under 199lb). F*ck being a small lightweight, Oh, and Joe Regan had hair...

UFC 1 on 18:44 - May 28 with 2517 viewsBluce_Ree

I remember my mate got UFC 1, 2 and 3 on VHS and we watched it all back in the 90s. UFC 3 had a guy called Kimo who was a beast. He lost to Royce but Royce couldn't continue.

If you like old school MMA, try to find Choke, the Rickson Gracie documentary.

Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah. His crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

UFC 1 on 16:16 - May 29 with 2412 viewsfrancisbowles

When I looked at the subject of the thread I thought it was going to be about John Ter**!
UFC 1 on 00:52 - May 30 with 2356 viewssmegma

Lenny McLean would be a millionaire today.
UFC 1 on 04:38 - May 30 with 2339 viewstimcocking

UFC 1 on 00:52 - May 30 by smegma

Lenny McLean would be a millionaire today.

Well, of course, in boring reality, if he didn't learn to defend takedowns and all that stuff (and frankly, i can't imagine dedication to wrestling and jiu jitsu discipline being Lennie's biggest strength), some boring fcuker would get him straight down and twist his leg off or whatever.

In a way it's why those early ufcs are so fascinating.

Actually, i remember watching one of the old timers saying Lennie was vastly over rated and was a mediocre boxer. Guy reckoned he beat Lenny easily enough (was it a couple of times?), all seemed to be legit. He was laughing how Lenny tried to intimidate all the time with his silly faces and noises but was nothing special, at least if there was Queensbury rules. Although clearly a very hard man and a bonafide fcuking psycho, i don't think he'd have been much as a proper fighter. Roy Shaw beat him easily when he was mentally healthy, he was much smaller. Roy Shaw was a mess physically and mentally in the later fight with the infamous video. By all accounts, those 1000 wins of Lennie has had an extra zero added and there were defeats. The media just lapped up anything he told them.

I wouldn't have told him any of this to his face mind you.
UFC 1 on 15:46 - May 30 with 2272 viewsBluce_Ree

The great thing about UFC1 was that before then there really were discussions about what martial art was best. Could karate beat kung fu? Was ninjitsu real?

And then Royce came along and mopped up everyone and taught us that BJJ was the truth. Then people realised that Muay Thai was the best way to strike and now people combine that with some wrestling thrown in.

Karate, kung fu, japanese jiu jitsu, aikido. Hundreds of years of nonsense all phased out in 25 years.

Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah. His crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Login to get fewer ads

UFC 1 on 02:01 - May 31 with 2202 viewstimcocking

UFC 1 on 15:46 - May 30 by Bluce_Ree

The great thing about UFC1 was that before then there really were discussions about what martial art was best. Could karate beat kung fu? Was ninjitsu real?

And then Royce came along and mopped up everyone and taught us that BJJ was the truth. Then people realised that Muay Thai was the best way to strike and now people combine that with some wrestling thrown in.

Karate, kung fu, japanese jiu jitsu, aikido. Hundreds of years of nonsense all phased out in 25 years.

Must have been sickening for some people. Joe Rogan - he was full contact Tae Kwon Do Champion before he realised he'd completely wasted all that time.

I used to do Karate for a while as a kid. I swear, i realised at the time it was complete bullshit in terms of actual protecting yourself and inflicting violence. How on earth anybody ever believed you could literally stand directly in front of somebody and just block them without moving your feet a la Mr Miagi...good grief it was so obviously nonsense. All that time trying to learn what are basically dance routines. The people we had who were good at it and could fight were just naturally good fighters.

It seems obvious now we've been watching it all, but when Royce first stepped in, i shouldn't think anybody would have given him a prayer. I mean how is it possible that a skinny man who can't punch can win a no-holds barred cage-fighting competition? That really must have taken immense bravery. I'll bet all those red necks were gutted. I'd have flat out said no chance whatsoever of him beating Ken Shamrock in his pants. Hilarious really.

Vive la Muay Thai and, of course, our very own boxing. Besides, in Muay Thai you are allowed to use real magic and ghosts to assist.

[Post edited 31 May 2019 2:14]
UFC 1 on 09:18 - May 31 with 2145 viewsPommyhoop

Yup Royce certainly showed the world what was what as far as fighting was...I'm surprised the Triads or Yakuza didn't have something to say about lost revenue. Must've been a mountain of chucked pirate Kung Fu vids. Mind you I wouldn't want to come up against the Gracie family ..There's loads of em...
As I said ..Virtually no Asian MMA world title holders... Who would've thought that the most famous and rich martial artist would be a little Irishman? I certainly didn't when I was watching Drunken Master back in the day

UFC 1 on 09:40 - May 31 with 2139 viewsPommyhoop

Imagine this fella up against the little Tai Chi fella or Mr Myagi.

That knockout punch against Fedor was unf'ckinbeleivable. The power he got from that mad angle...

UFC 1 on 11:21 - May 31 with 2107 viewstimcocking

my walk out music...
UFC 1 on 13:12 - May 31 with 2096 viewsBluce_Ree

I did "Freestyle Kung Fu" for five years in my early twenties. Three classes a week and a private lesson on Sundays. I wasted thousands of quid there and a lot of hours.

Signed up to Muay Thai some 12 years later and realised I knew fk all about fighting.

UFC 1 on 14:36 - May 31 with 2084 viewsbob566

what's the Israeli close combat thingy called. The one where you learn to just pick up whatevers around you and use it to your advantage. That's probably the best thing to learn if you want to defend yourself.
UFC 1 on 15:25 - May 31 with 2076 viewsBluce_Ree

UFC 1 on 14:36 - May 31 by bob566

what's the Israeli close combat thingy called. The one where you learn to just pick up whatevers around you and use it to your advantage. That's probably the best thing to learn if you want to defend yourself.

I'd still take a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu blue belt over an experienced Krav Maga guy.

UFC 1 on 23:16 - May 31 with 2055 viewsPommyhoop

my walk out music.

UFC 1 on 03:19 - Jun 1 with 2029 viewstimcocking

UFC 1 on 15:25 - May 31 by Bluce_Ree

I'd still take a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu blue belt over an experienced Krav Maga guy.

Me too.

The only thing about Jiu Jitsu, though, surely it's absolutely useless in a street fight? The last thing you ever want is to be in a street fight is on the floor. While you're busy trying to twist some fella's arm back, his mate is going to boot you straight in the head.
UFC 1 on 10:31 - Jun 1 with 1988 viewsBluce_Ree

You could lock one guy up and announce to the others that he's dead if they don't back off.

I briefly did BJJ and rolled with a Slovakian nightmar called Tomas who tapped me three times in ten seconds. And any of them would be a broken bone or neck in about a second.

UFC 1 on 11:35 - Jun 1 with 1980 viewsMick_S

My walk out music.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

UFC 1 on 11:49 - Jun 1 with 1974 viewstimcocking

UFC 1 on 11:35 - Jun 1 by Mick_S

My walk out music.

Nice choice, great song.
UFC 1 on 12:36 - Jun 1 with 1962 viewsPommyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024