Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Summer Transfers 10:49 - May 30 with 130644 viewsderbyhoop

There's always lots of speculation, 90% generated by agents. Might be good to have 1 thread.

I don't understand the speculation that has linked us with Adam Matthews from Sunderland, Adam Maher from AZ Alkmaar and Liam Kelly from Livingstone.
Matthews is a RB where we have Furlong, Rangel and Kakay
Maher is a midfielder where, even if Freeman goes, we're not short of options.
Kelly is a keeper. We have Lumley, Ingram and Dieng, unless the latter goes to Glasgow Rangers.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Summer Transfers on 23:51 - Jun 8 with 4007 viewsMatch82

Summer Transfers on 09:46 - Jun 8 by francisbowles

Is this a spoof as well. Would a Scottish goalkeeper put a cross of St George on his twitter page?

I think it's probably meant to mean "I'm in England" rather than "I like England". Though this is of course the problem with not using actual words.
Summer Transfers on 14:44 - Jun 13 with 3420 viewssimmo

Kelly and Wallace have apparently agreed personal terms and will be announced imminently.

A keeper seems a bit unnecessary given our needs elsewhere, but he seems pretty well rated and possibly better suited to the way MW wants to play. We need to shift at least 2 existing keepers to justify it though - one sold and one on loan ideally - so hopefully there's some solid interest in Ingram.

Lee Wallace has some question marks about the number of games he's actually played in recent seasons, but this one reeks of a Clint Hill type signing of a man his manager knows and trusts. It's also a position we need someone for and an age (31) that brings the experience we're lacking without being past it. A free transfer is also a nice touch, though I imagine that will be factored into his wages and signing fee.

Shopping in Scotland aside, these look good potential signings to get started. I hope the delay with getting them has been the club doing its own due diligence on what is clearly Warburton recommendations though because otherwise, it's just more of the current managers' men over the transfer committee's 'well scouted' players.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Summer Transfers on 14:59 - Jun 13 with 3366 viewsrsonist

"possibly better suited to the way MW wants to play."

How's that?
Summer Transfers on 15:02 - Jun 13 with 3343 viewscaliforniahoop

Summer Transfers on 14:59 - Jun 13 by rsonist

How's that?

I have a feeling he may well be a replacement for Lynch?
Summer Transfers on 15:05 - Jun 13 with 3338 viewsdavman

Summer Transfers on 14:59 - Jun 13 by rsonist

How's that?

Don't be as scared as me at the thought of this, but Warburton is reportedly interested in a goalkeeper that is good with his feet and can play out from the back.

As I have said somewhere else, I hope that he is going to sign four defenders and at least one midfielder who is comfortable with the ball at their feet as, judging by last year's team, a ball playing 'keeper may be the best ball player we have in the team!

Playing out from the back is what got McClaren into trouble immediately into last season. Let's hope that there is not a repeat of that...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Summer Transfers on 15:09 - Jun 13 with 3329 viewsenfieldargh

Summer Transfers on 15:05 - Jun 13 by davman

Don't be as scared as me at the thought of this, but Warburton is reportedly interested in a goalkeeper that is good with his feet and can play out from the back.

As I have said somewhere else, I hope that he is going to sign four defenders and at least one midfielder who is comfortable with the ball at their feet as, judging by last year's team, a ball playing 'keeper may be the best ball player we have in the team!

Playing out from the back is what got McClaren into trouble immediately into last season. Let's hope that there is not a repeat of that...

Warburton doesnt have to contend with Lynch

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Summer Transfers on 15:44 - Jun 13 with 3240 viewsderbyhoop

The Wallace signature/announcement is expected tomorrow.
There's talk about Ingram being offered to various clubs in exchange for Kelly. If Kelly does join, it seems to be the sensible option for all concerned.
Dieng, if he extends his contract is scheduled to go our on loan again.
Somebody regenerated the Adam Matthews link. He's just been released by Sunderland. Still bollox in my eyes.
Also Warburton wants somebody more mobile than Matt Smith and might let him go. Is there anybody less mobile than Posh Matt? Somebody tell MW that we haven't got any other forwards with 10 League games under their belt..

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Summer Transfers on 16:15 - Jun 13 with 3156 viewsrsonist

Summer Transfers on 15:05 - Jun 13 by davman

Doesn't Lumley have coachable attributes in this regard?
Login to get fewer ads

Summer Transfers on 16:20 - Jun 13 with 3140 viewsstevec

Summer Transfers on 16:15 - Jun 13 by rsonist

if you've got two left feet you've got two left feet.
Summer Transfers on 16:38 - Jun 13 with 3074 viewsAntti_Heinola

I thought Lumley was ok with his feet personally.

Bare bones.

Summer Transfers on 16:38 - Jun 13 with 3080 viewsNorthernr

I seem to be the only one that thinks Lumley's distribution is alright.

Let's be honest here lads, if we were sitting here looking at say, Sheff Wed, and they'd finished last season with three wins from the final 23 games, had ongoing financial problems, had just released eight mainstays of the first team, and their summer transfer activity consisted of a keeper from Livingston and a 32 year old left back from Rangers we'd all be saying 'lump on them to go down'.
Summer Transfers on 16:43 - Jun 13 with 3058 viewsenfieldargh

Summer Transfers on 16:38 - Jun 13 by Northernr

Let's be honest here lads, if we were sitting here looking at say, Sheff Wed, and they'd finished last season with three wins from the final 23 games, had ongoing financial problems, had just released eight mainstays of the first team, and their summer transfer activity consisted of a keeper from Livingston and a 32 year old left back from Rangers we'd all be saying 'lump on them to go down'.

Yes a few occasions where his kicking cost us, up at Leeds last season springs to mind but on the whole I think his kicking is quite accurate and will only improve with time.

I'm as concerned with these Scots lads the same as I was with Derry & Hill.

At first with Lynch I thought we had signed a good'un.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Summer Transfers on 16:46 - Jun 13 with 3045 viewsCroydonCaptJack

We would.
However, we do have a new manager and the summer isn't over yet. In fact looking out of my window, I am not sure it has started yet!
Summer Transfers on 16:49 - Jun 13 with 3031 viewsDorse

Summer Transfers on 15:02 - Jun 13 by californiahoop

I have a feeling he may well be a replacement for Lynch?

We could replace Lynch with a traffic cone and we'd still be better off.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Summer Transfers on 17:44 - Jun 13 with 2911 viewssimmo

We'd have felt the same if Wednesday signed Derry and Hill a few years back, so I'm not too fussed about that perception. I'd also assume this isn't the totality of our summer transfer activity, it's the beginning of it and at least one of those signings ticks 3 boxes;

- cheap/free
- in a position we need
- experienced

Summer Transfers on 17:46 - Jun 13 with 2897 viewsNorthernr

Summer Transfers on 17:44 - Jun 13 by simmo

We'd have felt the same if Wednesday signed Derry and Hill a few years back, so I'm not too fussed about that perception. I'd also assume this isn't the totality of our summer transfer activity, it's the beginning of it and at least one of those signings ticks 3 boxes;

- cheap/free
- in a position we need
- experienced

Maybe.

TBH I'm still basking in the glow of not having to watch Lynch's fckwittery again next season and that will last for another few weeks yet.
Summer Transfers on 17:54 - Jun 13 with 2862 viewssimmo

Summer Transfers on 16:15 - Jun 13 by rsonist

Apparently, this chap is better with his feet. Warburton also knows him from his Rangers days so maybe feels more confident he can do what he wants from his keeper. It's reported he's coming in alongside Lumley rather than a replacement, so perhaps he feels having him there will also help Lumley develop that part of his game?

I don't know... I'm not supporting the signing of another keeper as it seems excessive, I like Lumley and would be happy to see him be the number 1 this season and beyond. What I think has happened is we're taking advantage of a contract situation, meaning we can get a good young keeper for cheap and so we've acted, but that brings memories of Julio Cesar rather than Alex Smithies....

Let's see, I'm pretty positive and excited about everything at the moment and as long as we still get the bodies we need in other areas, I'm not ready to start kicking off about any new signings just yet.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2019 17:55]

Summer Transfers on 19:18 - Jun 13 with 2700 viewsLazyFan

Summer Transfers on 17:46 - Jun 13 by Northernr

Maybe.

TBH I'm still basking in the glow of not having to watch Lynch's fckwittery again next season and that will last for another few weeks yet.

Now the Leech is gone, who do we mark as the next one we want out ???

It's a tough choice these days as we seem to have that fabled "honest hard working bunch of lads" cliche, even if they are not very good.

Tough one that. Grant Hall? Ingram? all very harsh if so.

Looks like Evil Les and Mastermind Hoos have cleaned up the club a bit!

zzzzzzzzzz

Summer Transfers on 22:48 - Jun 13 with 2502 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Summer Transfers on 17:44 - Jun 13 by simmo

- cheap/free
- in a position we need
- experienced

Also I'm glad, whatever happens next season, that we seem to be getting our transfer dealings done early. Unlike last summers clusterfck.

It's going to be a struggle guys. We all know it's going to be. but then it's always a struggle. Even when we win the league it's a struggle!
[Post edited 13 Jun 2019 22:59]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Summer Transfers on 23:36 - Jun 13 with 2416 viewsWadR

Summer Transfers on 22:48 - Jun 13 by CliveWilsonSaid

Also I'm glad, whatever happens next season, that we seem to be getting our transfer dealings done early. Unlike last summers clusterfck.

It's going to be a struggle guys. We all know it's going to be. but then it's always a struggle. Even when we win the league it's a struggle!
[Post edited 13 Jun 2019 22:59]

With Simmo re:Kelly. Cesar was a gratutious panic signing. Kelly is 23 and available for £50k off the back of an excellent personal season. Hardly like adding another 30 something keeper on £80k a week.

Far more sceptical about Wallace. Hope it's a 1 year deal and with an eye for squad depth, as a soon to be 32 year old with a dozen competitive games in the last 2 years doesn't sound like a Bidwell upgrade let alone the next Clint Hill.
Summer Transfers on 08:02 - Jun 14 with 2186 viewsBAWHoops

Whilst I’m in no way comparing the two, perhaps we should remember the first thing that’s guardiola did a at City was bomb out the popular, home grown Joe Hart and replace him with keepers who suited his style of play.
If this new manager wants to play out from the back(which honestly is probably one of the best ways to actually achieve something in this division) then it’s right that the club are backing him

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Summer Transfers on 09:07 - Jun 14 with 2070 viewssimmo

Summer Transfers on 23:36 - Jun 13 by WadR

With Simmo re:Kelly. Cesar was a gratutious panic signing. Kelly is 23 and available for £50k off the back of an excellent personal season. Hardly like adding another 30 something keeper on £80k a week.

Far more sceptical about Wallace. Hope it's a 1 year deal and with an eye for squad depth, as a soon to be 32 year old with a dozen competitive games in the last 2 years doesn't sound like a Bidwell upgrade let alone the next Clint Hill.

It's shades of Cesar in as much as we have 4 keepers already on the books, but as he's available, we've apparently used part of our budget to bring in a 5th. All caveats about 2 being youth teamers and 1 potentially being moved on aside, it's not a priority position.

That said, for footballing reasons it could be crucial and Warburton could literally be building from the back, if he wants a style of play from the get-go and has a good young keeper he's confident in, then as long as the financials are right (which they seem to be) it's a good move.

Summer Transfers on 09:20 - Jun 14 with 2031 viewsozexile

Summer Transfers on 08:02 - Jun 14 by BAWHoops

Whilst I’m in no way comparing the two, perhaps we should remember the first thing that’s guardiola did a at City was bomb out the popular, home grown Joe Hart and replace him with keepers who suited his style of play.
If this new manager wants to play out from the back(which honestly is probably one of the best ways to actually achieve something in this division) then it’s right that the club are backing him

Agree......but he needs to be backed for longer than half a season. Or we are back to square one with players the new manager may not fancy.
Summer Transfers on 09:22 - Jun 14 with 2022 viewsNorthernr

Summer Transfers on 09:20 - Jun 14 by ozexile

Agree......but he needs to be backed for longer than half a season. Or we are back to square one with players the new manager may not fancy.

Yup.
Summer Transfers on 09:41 - Jun 14 with 1955 viewsWatford_Ranger

Interesting-ish that we were initially priced at 11/4 to go down and it’s drifted to 10/3. Personally I’d say that’s more than a fair price but people who know more than most say it’s a 3 in 13 chance.

Bury in L1 at 1/2 is pretty much buying money with a 50% return for any big hitters out there. They could be playing with a youth side, the manager has gone and they weren’t particularly brilliant in the first place.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024