Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tory Leadership Race 09:57 - May 31 with 57728 viewsDorse

Not a party political thing or a reason for an LFW punch-up, but I keep having the eerie feeling that eventually every single Tory MP will put themselves forward leaving Teresa May with the casting vote. At which point, she cackles maniacally and slowly points at Jacob Rees Mogg sitting at the back, with the entire parliamentary party turning to stare at him... He is seen to gulp and mutter 'Oh, copulate my happenstance'

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Tory Leadership Race on 11:27 - Jun 14 with 2155 viewsozexile

Surely if Johnson does win Labour could put a scarecrow up against him and they'd win a general election?
Tory Leadership Race on 11:34 - Jun 14 with 2117 viewsMytch_QPR

Tory Leadership Race on 11:27 - Jun 14 by ozexile

Surely if Johnson does win Labour could put a scarecrow up against him and they'd win a general election?

You mean bringing back Michael Foot?

Seriously, the prospect of Johnson v Corbyn... might be the lowest turnout in history.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Tory Leadership Race on 11:40 - Jun 14 with 2101 viewsDorse

Tory Leadership Race on 11:34 - Jun 14 by Mytch_QPR

You mean bringing back Michael Foot?

Seriously, the prospect of Johnson v Corbyn... might be the lowest turnout in history.

Worst. Cage-fight. Ever.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Tory Leadership Race on 12:15 - Jun 14 with 2012 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Tory Leadership Race on 11:40 - Jun 14 by Dorse

Worst. Cage-fight. Ever.

Tory Leadership Race on 12:23 - Jun 14 with 1990 viewsR_from_afar

It gets better: Hunt and Johnson being funded by climate change deniers. God help us all.
https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/revealed-climate-chan

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Tory Leadership Race on 12:51 - Jun 14 with 1940 viewsWatford_Ranger

A Labour Party led by Starmer would walk it. Throw Corbs in against that fat mop with Farage quietly skulking off rather than split the right wing vote and fk knows.
Tory Leadership Race on 13:02 - Jun 14 with 1904 viewscyprusmel

If Boris is elected PM as it stands right now he and the conservatives would possibly lose the next general election.
The Brexit party would split the voting and this would favour Labour.
If Boris takes the UK out of the EU with no deal in October he would have every chance to win an election because the Brexit party would cease to have any value.
There may be little choice for the conservatives if they want to keep their party and highly paid jobs.
Tory Leadership Race on 13:02 - Jun 14 with 1906 viewsQPR_John

Tory Leadership Race on 11:00 - Jun 14 by robith

Perhaps you should practice the polity you require for yourself towards others then old bean

I dont know why you have decided to comment but I'll ask you the same question I asked BazzaInTheLoft which he has yet to answer where have I been obnoxious
[Post edited 14 Jun 2019 13:04]
Login to get fewer ads

Tory Leadership Race on 13:04 - Jun 14 with 1893 viewsMytch_QPR

Tory Leadership Race on 13:02 - Jun 14 by cyprusmel

If Boris is elected PM as it stands right now he and the conservatives would possibly lose the next general election.
If Boris takes the UK out of the EU with no deal in October he would have every chance to win an election because the Brexit party would cease to have any value.
There may be little choice for the conservatives if they want to keep their party and highly paid jobs.

If you were Boris, would you call a snap election as soon as we had exited the EU in October?

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Tory Leadership Race on 13:10 - Jun 14 with 1868 viewsderbyhoop

I'd just like to add this extract from a Johnson column in Feb 2016. To illustrate his consistency, of course.

“It is also true that the single market is of considerable value to many UK companies and consumers, and that leaving would cause at least some business uncertainty, while embroiling the Government for several years in a fiddly process of negotiating new arrangements, so diverting energy from the real problems of this country — low skills, low social mobility, low investment etc — that have nothing to do with Europe.”

But you can go back on all previous views if it wins you the PM's job. Not that I'd accuse him of anything so blatantly transparent.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Tory Leadership Race on 13:14 - Jun 14 with 1848 viewsMytch_QPR

Tory Leadership Race on 13:10 - Jun 14 by derbyhoop

I'd just like to add this extract from a Johnson column in Feb 2016. To illustrate his consistency, of course.

“It is also true that the single market is of considerable value to many UK companies and consumers, and that leaving would cause at least some business uncertainty, while embroiling the Government for several years in a fiddly process of negotiating new arrangements, so diverting energy from the real problems of this country — low skills, low social mobility, low investment etc — that have nothing to do with Europe.”

But you can go back on all previous views if it wins you the PM's job. Not that I'd accuse him of anything so blatantly transparent.

Contradiction (and lying) are no obstacles to success these days. We're going the way of the US and Trump. Boris is in it for himself, as we all know.

Tory Leadership Race on 13:14 - Jun 14 with 1845 viewscyprusmel

Tory Leadership Race on 13:04 - Jun 14 by Mytch_QPR

If you were Boris, would you call a snap election as soon as we had exited the EU in October?

Difficult to call, maybe better to let everything settle down and return to normal or as near normal as possible.
So on balance I would wait. I don't think he would be under any pressure and could just hold on until the due date.
Tory Leadership Race on 13:33 - Jun 14 with 1792 viewsrobith

Tory Leadership Race on 11:13 - Jun 14 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Hancock out

Tory Leadership Race on 13:36 - Jun 14 with 1780 viewsrobith

Tory Leadership Race on 13:02 - Jun 14 by QPR_John

I dont know why you have decided to comment but I'll ask you the same question I asked BazzaInTheLoft which he has yet to answer where have I been obnoxious
[Post edited 14 Jun 2019 13:04]

Now it could be that the nature of the written word often removes context but this

"I really am impressed. How much of your time do you spend surfing the net for these snippets"

cam across as pretty snide. Hence I don't know why you were suddenly shocked at the responses because you appeared to set that tone. Apologies if it was a genuine statement. Be the change you want to see in the world
Tory Leadership Race on 13:49 - Jun 14 with 1746 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Tory Leadership Race on 13:36 - Jun 14 by robith

Now it could be that the nature of the written word often removes context but this

"I really am impressed. How much of your time do you spend surfing the net for these snippets"

cam across as pretty snide. Hence I don't know why you were suddenly shocked at the responses because you appeared to set that tone. Apologies if it was a genuine statement. Be the change you want to see in the world

Put better than I ever could.
Tory Leadership Race on 14:12 - Jun 14 with 1708 viewsWEAREAWFUL

not very good Prime ministers in my lifetime. Anthony eden. Suez cock up. Alec douglas home. Less than a year. Edward heath. Common market cock up. James callaghan. 18% inflation just after i got my mortgage. John major . Bloody boring. Gordon brown. sold our gold reserves for peanuts ,called a pensioner a bigot, a joker. David cameron. Slippery conniving coward. Theresa may. Robotic repetetive u turn nobody. Harold wilson, tony blair ,maggie thatcher get honourable mentions for longevity. Can boris live up to this fantastic list of great prime ministers when he absolutely walks the tory party election .
Tory Leadership Race on 15:21 - Jun 14 with 1647 viewsFDC

Tory Leadership Race on 14:21 - Jun 13 by runningman75

Rory Stewart is increasingly impressive. I see myself as a centrist and has never voted Tory but would consider it if he was leader.

Genuinely, is there any difference at all between his position on what to do about Brexit and Theresa May's?
Tory Leadership Race on 16:28 - Jun 14 with 1596 viewsbaldyoldgit

Tory Leadership Race on 13:02 - Jun 14 by cyprusmel

interesting take. however, if he takes us out with no deal and it's only 1/4 bad as all the impact studies suggest then the tories will never get back in. whether enough people vote for a labour majority is another thing. whoever becomes PM they have to go back to brussels as they've all promised they will. Will EU agree to open the WA? I'd say not. Then what? Crash out and blame the EU? maybe. The closer we get to Oct though the more horror stories are going to appear (rightly or wrongly). Would Boris ask for another extension? maybe. ERG and Farage would go mental though and EU may say no or may attached conditions. I cant see them saying no if we asked but i can see them wanting a nailed-on reason why they should. Only two real options there : referendum or election. Which would the tories prefer?
Tory Leadership Race on 16:33 - Jun 14 with 1588 viewsTacticalR

Tory Leadership Race on 15:21 - Jun 14 by FDC

Genuinely, is there any difference at all between his position on what to do about Brexit and Theresa May's?

I don't think so. As more and more ministers were bailing out of the cabinet it felt like he was the lone voice defending May's deal.

Air hostess clique

Tory Leadership Race on 17:18 - Jun 14 with 1542 viewscyprusmel

Tory Leadership Race on 16:28 - Jun 14 by baldyoldgit

interesting take. however, if he takes us out with no deal and it's only 1/4 bad as all the impact studies suggest then the tories will never get back in. whether enough people vote for a labour majority is another thing. whoever becomes PM they have to go back to brussels as they've all promised they will. Will EU agree to open the WA? I'd say not. Then what? Crash out and blame the EU? maybe. The closer we get to Oct though the more horror stories are going to appear (rightly or wrongly). Would Boris ask for another extension? maybe. ERG and Farage would go mental though and EU may say no or may attached conditions. I cant see them saying no if we asked but i can see them wanting a nailed-on reason why they should. Only two real options there : referendum or election. Which would the tories prefer?

I think that the biggest threat to the Conservatives is the Brexit party. Mr Farage has taken a lot of votes from the labour party Brexit faction but many more from the Conservatives.
If Boris exits the EU in October he could well destroy the need for the Brexit party whose voters are in the main disillusioned conservatives.

The Labour party are not helping their chances by not declaring what they believe to be the way forward over the EU this is helping the Lib Dems who are picking up the Labour remain vote.
Boris if he becomes PM has to remove the threat of the Brexit party or the Conservatives are finished.
If Boris went to the EU to extend the deadline for exit I think that Labour, Lib Dems, SNP, Greens and PC would move for a vote of no confidence and with the help of some conservatives would win. The Conservatives can not win a general election and gain a large enough majority to govern with the Brexit party still active.
Tory Leadership Race on 17:34 - Jun 14 with 1519 viewsQPR_John

Tory Leadership Race on 13:49 - Jun 14 by BazzaInTheLoft

Put better than I ever could.

However you took the comment and I admit I was being a little sarcastic it was well short of being obnoxious
[Post edited 14 Jun 2019 17:36]
Tory Leadership Race on 19:06 - Jun 16 with 1322 viewsstevec

PM debate, the manboy Stewart virtually being sucked off by the channel 4 Remain audience.

Boris well advised to swerve this.
Tory Leadership Race on 19:56 - Jun 16 with 1272 viewsEsox_Lucius

The fact that there are Tory MP's who want this lying sack of shit to be PM says all you need to know about the Tories.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9950748/Boris-Johnson-not-true-that-I-

The grass is always greener.

Tory Leadership Race on 20:12 - Jun 16 with 1242 viewsQPR_John

True but they will be putting up Corbyn
Tory Leadership Race on 20:31 - Jun 16 with 1217 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Rory Stewart is Horst from the Simpsons.

‘They’ve chosen me as you may find me the least threatening’

[Post edited 16 Jun 2019 20:34]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024