Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lumley 12:02 - Jun 1 with 6909 viewstimcocking

Look, i don't actually like to post threads unless i have to, so one of you lot should have done this by now, but i suppose it'll have to be Joe Muggins.

So that's a few articles i've read now saying Warburton wants to bring in a new 'keeper; one that is 'more comfortable with the ball at their feet' than either Joe or Matt Ingram.

If that's true and it doesn't work out, i for one would immediately be really fcuking pissed off with Mark Warburton. We've got three good keepers who've been with us a while, it seems totally unnecessary to me. Even if he's made loads of errors, Joe has looked good a lot and he's cool as Hell, we all like him. I'd be very disappointed to see him replaced without a damned good reason and i can't see any way another 'keeper could be that much better with the ball than Joe, or they'd be fcuking playing up front in place of Matt Smith.

If he brings this bloke in (dunno sod all about him) and he's an upgrade, well fair enough i suppose. It just seems a silly gamble when we have so many more pressing concerns and one which could backfire spectacularly. It reeks of something Clive will be lamenting a few years from now when we're looking back at ridiculously rash, foolish decisions we've made. So far, each time a new manager comes in, they seem to bomb out decent, loyal players and arrogantly replace them with worse, more expensive players. I hope this doesn't turn out to be more of the same.
Lumley on 12:24 - Jun 1 with 5481 viewsCheshireR

Keeping our options open seems sensible to me. Particularly if the rumours are true that both Lumley's and Deing's agents are touting them to other clubs.
I'm not sure I would be happy with Matt Ingram as our only keeper in early August.
Lumley on 12:57 - Jun 1 with 5401 viewsterryb

Three good 'keepers?

I hope your not including Ingram in those!

I like Joe Lumley & I wanted him in the team for the opening match last season. However, I've not noticed any major improvement in his performances as the season progressed. In fact, I would say he looked better twelve months ago than he did after the Villa away game (until April arrived). Mind you, this may be due to the kicking he received at Villa.

Last weekend I saw four 'keepers playing in the play off finals (including the Charlton one who made the horrendous mistake) who I thought looked more accomplished than Joe. Day of Newport in particular took my eye.

I view this one rather like replacing Kelly & Spratley (both of whom I liked) in 1971. That time we definitely made the correct decision in buying Phil Parkes!
Lumley on 13:04 - Jun 1 with 5380 viewsjonno

Lumley is not a great keeper in my opinion and I can understand the manager looking to improve on him if he can get the right player at the right price.
Lumley on 13:20 - Jun 1 with 5331 viewssmegma

Oh look, a thread based on speculation. See you on page 25 soon.
Lumley on 13:20 - Jun 1 with 5330 viewsozexile

This is the problem with continually changing managers. Each new manager wants their own players. So as well as changing managers every year, you're having to change the nucleus of the team.
Lumley on 13:38 - Jun 1 with 5275 views2Thomas2Bowles

Lumley on 13:20 - Jun 1 by smegma

Oh look, a thread based on speculation. See you on page 25 soon.

Warburton been sacked dontcha know

Or they are thinking about it

At some time...

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Lumley on 14:04 - Jun 1 with 5203 viewsThGrimRanger

Agree - I like Lumley, he'll keep improving and we should stick with him. I think he'll go on to bigger and better things.

All efforts and what money there is should go on getting a player(s) who're quick and can score goals at championship level.

TheGrimRanger

Lumley on 14:54 - Jun 1 with 5097 viewspeejaybee

Lumley on 14:04 - Jun 1 by ThGrimRanger

Agree - I like Lumley, he'll keep improving and we should stick with him. I think he'll go on to bigger and better things.

All efforts and what money there is should go on getting a player(s) who're quick and can score goals at championship level.

And that is ???????????????????

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Login to get fewer ads

Lumley on 16:05 - Jun 1 with 4965 viewsDejR_vu

Lumley on 14:54 - Jun 1 by peejaybee

And that is ???????????????????

It shouldn’t be MW’s decision, surely? Or are we still learning those lessons?

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Lumley on 16:42 - Jun 1 with 4897 viewsNeil_SI

The club and Lumley can be pleased with his season overall.

He's had a respectable campaign, especially as it was his first full season at Championship level and he can only benefit from that experience.

On reflection, the coaching staff need to work on his distribution, especially when there is an opportunity to counter the opposition and quickly shift from defence to attack.

His game management can sometimes be a little too wild in these moments, sometimes sloppy and hitting the ball out of play (thus ending the chance before it got going) or sometimes dangerously playing balls that were easily intercepted and putting the team under immediate pressure in transition.

I think we've messed Ingram about too much now and it's not worked out for him, so we should move him on for the sake of his own career. He still has the ability to be a success, but he needs to play regularly now to ensure he fulfils his potential.
Lumley on 22:32 - Jun 1 with 4609 viewsderbyhoop

Given the success we had when we tried playing out from the back, a keeper who can play the bal out doesn't seem li,e the best of moves. Especially when we have options in goal, barely got a defence and haven't got a strikeforce at all.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Lumley on 22:56 - Jun 1 with 4560 viewsbosh67

He's a good keeper. His first season at this level and overall he did well. He needs to improve but he can if given a few more seasons. I think Warburton is probably going to offload Ingram and the other lad and look for a keeper who will genuinely push Joe for that spot. They seem to be keen to also promote this Marcin
Brzozowski lad as well.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Lumley on 01:06 - Jun 2 with 4451 viewsHooped_Pullie

I like Joe & I hope he stays. Problem is, Dieng is still a bit young for Championship level games and Ingram's form and confidence were so atrocious last season that we couldn't alternate our keepers, though that's what 99% of teams who go on long losing runs at any level generally do. He looked incredibly shaky during the Leeds cup game in January, and of course that was the last we saw of him. We do need another keeper, someone a bit older than Joe with experience as well as those distribution skills. Then hopefully we can get value from both of them.
Lumley on 04:34 - Jun 2 with 4380 viewsozexile

Lumley on 01:06 - Jun 2 by Hooped_Pullie

I like Joe & I hope he stays. Problem is, Dieng is still a bit young for Championship level games and Ingram's form and confidence were so atrocious last season that we couldn't alternate our keepers, though that's what 99% of teams who go on long losing runs at any level generally do. He looked incredibly shaky during the Leeds cup game in January, and of course that was the last we saw of him. We do need another keeper, someone a bit older than Joe with experience as well as those distribution skills. Then hopefully we can get value from both of them.

Isn't Lumley 24? He's got 4 years on Arnold who's just played an won in a champs league final. IMO he's definitely old enough.
Lumley on 09:13 - Jun 2 with 4204 viewsfrancisbowles

Lumley on 01:06 - Jun 2 by Hooped_Pullie

Dieng is three months older than Lumley.
Lumley on 02:25 - Jun 5 with 3644 viewstimcocking

So, these goalkeeper rumours are ramping up. Is it safe to assume Warburton's first signing will be to replace the only position we don't need replacements at, by getting rid of the homegrown player who i expect would be the most popular player at the club with our young support?

The only reason is presumably so we have to play that awful, hideously boring, ugly football whereby you pass back to the 'keeper over and over again all fcuking game? My God, i hate that so much. That isn't possession football, it's fcuking sh!t football. I'm all for possession in the other half of the pitch but 75% possession in your own penalty area is bollox of the first order. Makes football go from boring to unwatchable.

Talk about being our own worst enemies. They've obviously all had a meeting to work out what's the worst thing they could do with the team and the new manager to make sure everybody is unhappy with him right off the bat. Last year was a fabulous effort at sabotage, giving away the best three or four players all in defence and making an unknown pub player Captain. You couldn't do more to fcuk yourselves up than that. Luke Freeman somehow saved us, so we'll have to try again to destroy the club.

Cost cutting lmfao. That's one way to do it.

Sighs deeply. Or, perhaps i'm just panicking too early. We shall see. Christ. Sighs once again. My prediction - it turns out to be another own goal. Another coffee i think...
Lumley on 02:48 - Jun 5 with 3638 viewseghamranger

Transfer rumours blah blah blah.

Think Warburton will be good for us. Lumley may fancy a move and a replacement has been lined up as Ingram isn’t good enough and the other keeper is off to Rangers.

Think most footballers are on the beach at the moment and the press have nothing to write about.

Chill man
Lumley on 04:28 - Jun 5 with 3593 viewstimcocking

Lumley on 02:48 - Jun 5 by eghamranger

Transfer rumours blah blah blah.

Think Warburton will be good for us. Lumley may fancy a move and a replacement has been lined up as Ingram isn’t good enough and the other keeper is off to Rangers.

Think most footballers are on the beach at the moment and the press have nothing to write about.

Chill man

Yeah, i suppose something of an over reaction from me. Might not even happen. Should at least wait and see, besides, might be the best 'keeper we ever get. It'll just be a bloody shame and textbook QPR. I like Joe, i'd miss him. Can't see any reason he'd fancy a move.

Call me a sentimental old fool, though, but i prefer to have some attachment to the players. It seems much more gratifying to support a team i consider 'our' players. It's harder to be as interested in a team of people i don't know at all and they likewise won't all be as motivated as young players who've actually come through the ranks. I'd always much rather, when feasible, keep our home grown players who are doing ok. It disappoints me to have players just for loans here or there, or for a season. There is no real connection then. Clubs nowadays don't seem to realise the value of a well-loved, long-serving player. There is a massive value on such things and they are too blinkered to understand it seems. We rarely get the chance anymore to have players long enough to give a sh!t about and it's a shame. It feels gratuitous at times. We all know there isn't much room for sentiment when it comes to competitive sport, but i'm sure we're on the wrong side of the balance. If i wanted to go into detail, pretty sure i could come up with a big long list of reasons why it's a sensible overall strategy not to just always change your most important staff every five minutes, whatever business we're talking about, let alone something like football, where you surely must consider the fans, not to mention the cohesion of the team. If they want to keep/encourage young fans then they should run the club in such a way that helps keep/encourage young fans, but in my opinion they often shoot themselves (therefore us) in the foot most of the time and do the opposite. How much better can this new goalkeeper be? Hope i'm wrong.

And please God we aren't going to play that blood pressure raising backpass football. Should be banned. More than fifty back passes in a single game and the whole team gets sent straight to prison and soundly beaten up as well.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2019 5:46]
Lumley on 06:11 - Jun 5 with 3542 viewsHayesender

Apparently Lee Wallace to sign as well. Left back Warburton worked with at Rangers

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Lumley on 07:25 - Jun 5 with 3449 viewsGloucs_R

Let's say we sold Joe for 1.5m and buy Kelly for 50k. Is that not the exact type of business we should be doing now?

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Lumley on 09:16 - Jun 5 with 3295 viewsHayesender

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4326872/lee-wallace-liam-kelly-q

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Lumley on 10:12 - Jun 5 with 3183 viewsbeanofire1

Hows about we wait and see how it plays out, before commenting that it's wrong?

Joe has done well behind that defence, but, he needs to be pushed. No problem in having competition for starting places. And if it's a 50k guy that MW knows, it's within his remit.

'I knw I ain't doing much........but doing nothing means a lot to me.'

Lumley on 11:44 - Jun 5 with 3058 viewsolderR

According to Wik,i Wallace is 31.

Two FBs over 30 doesn't sound like long term planning.
Lumley on 12:04 - Jun 5 with 2989 viewsWestbourneR

Lumley is good, very good in some areas, but overall he is not an exceptional 'keeper. He is the best we have at the club right now, that's for certain.

But if Bristol City want to give us say... £1.5 - 2 million for him, then we'd be well advised to take it and replace him with someone as good but half the price.

I'd say it looks like that might be the plan.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Lumley on 12:48 - Jun 5 with 2900 viewsWestbourneR

Lumley on 11:44 - Jun 5 by olderR

According to Wik,i Wallace is 31.

Two FBs over 30 doesn't sound like long term planning.

Wel I'd say four years potentially of football (31 to 35) is long enough term. He's hardly ancient.

You can't only have youngsters. It's squad building.

Need to be so melodramatic.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024