Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
An outrage we can all agree on.... 12:19 - Jun 14 with 5166 viewsPhildo

Top 50 Michael Caine films - Zulu only makes 15th place....

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jun/14/michael-caine-best-films-ranked

An outrage we can all agree on.... on 19:33 - Jun 14 with 1640 viewsoldmisery

I've got a Chinese mate who is, unfortunately, a junkie. He once said to me, ''have you seen my cocaine?'' No, not since The Italian Job, I replied.
An outrage we can all agree on.... on 20:27 - Jun 14 with 1594 viewsEsox_Lucius

Sleuth & Dressed To Kill are both way too low in that list.

The grass is always greener.

An outrage we can all agree on.... on 20:51 - Jun 14 with 1572 viewsqprxtc

An outrage we can all agree on.... on 02:09 - Jun 15 with 1527 viewsBoston

An outrage we can all agree on.... on 12:44 - Jun 14 by BrianMcCarthy

Remember him smugly saying on Wogan once that to maintain a high standard of living you have to make a crap standard of film. Fine, but the punters are dishing out dosh to see you, kid.

Shame, as he's a good actor when he can be bothered do the tricky stuff like picking a good script, attempting an accent or moving around the set.

Never really got the draw of Zulu, but liked him in Get Carter, Alfie and especially Last Orders which is a cracking little film.

You really don't like the Welsh, do you boyo?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

An outrage we can all agree on.... on 04:20 - Jun 15 with 1514 viewstimcocking

The Man Who Would Be King is awesome. Zulu, likewise.
An outrage we can all agree on.... on 06:57 - Jun 15 with 1505 viewsHantsR

An outrage we can all agree on.... on 18:44 - Jun 14 by colinallcars

In Zulu, he didn't really say “ don't throw those bloody spears at me “ did he ?

Don't think so, but there was that memorable moment when he seemed to know the name of one poor individual when he shouted, "Fire at Will"
An outrage we can all agree on.... on 07:09 - Jun 15 with 1496 viewstimcocking

An outrage we can all agree on.... on 06:57 - Jun 15 by HantsR

Don't think so, but there was that memorable moment when he seemed to know the name of one poor individual when he shouted, "Fire at Will"

The opening...doesn't he throw the Indian fella out of a moving train for having the audacity to say hello to him? They certainly don't make them like that anymore.

My God, films like that make your average Hollywood 'blockbuster' seem so, so sh!t. X Men, sweet Jesus.
An outrage we can all agree on.... on 07:57 - Jun 15 with 1489 viewscolinallcars

I liked the bit in Funeral In Berlin when he was sat in a cafe without ordering. The waiter. eventually said “ Mein Herr bitte ?” To which Caine replied “ no, I'll have a pint of lager “
Login to get fewer ads

An outrage we can all agree on.... on 09:21 - Jun 15 with 1451 viewsEsox_Lucius

An outrage we can all agree on.... on 07:09 - Jun 15 by timcocking

The opening...doesn't he throw the Indian fella out of a moving train for having the audacity to say hello to him? They certainly don't make them like that anymore.

My God, films like that make your average Hollywood 'blockbuster' seem so, so sh!t. X Men, sweet Jesus.

Watch Dr Strange. First thoughts would probably be "Oh, another Marvel spin off" but this is very different and eminently watchable. In the genre, I would say this is right up there.

The grass is always greener.

An outrage we can all agree on.... on 11:00 - Jun 15 with 1424 viewsHantsR

His most famous quote was in Educating Rita

Not many people know that
An outrage we can all agree on.... on 11:02 - Jun 15 with 1423 viewsHantsR

An outrage we can all agree on.... on 07:09 - Jun 15 by timcocking

That was in Kipling's Man who would be King - the gentleman in question started tucking into a huge melon - good enough reason in my book for defenestration
[Post edited 15 Jun 2019 11:59]
An outrage we can all agree on.... on 11:08 - Jun 15 with 1414 viewsozexile

I really liked his film "Youth" from a couple of years ago. Probably wouldn't sit through it again but it felt like a bit of a swansong from him.
An outrage we can all agree on.... on 15:17 - Jun 15 with 1365 viewsCiderwithRsie

An outrage we can all agree on.... on 13:45 - Jun 14 by TacticalR

What's wrong with Get Carter? It's been a while since I saw it, but as far as I can remember it's a well made, atmospheric movie.

As for Zulu unfortunately due to political correctness going to Africa and shooting the natives has become as unacceptable as shooting wildlife.

My recollection of Zulu (not seen it for a few years) is that the beginning is pretty sympathetic to the Zulu cause. The British soldiers aren't portrayed as fighting in a heroic cause, more as a bunch of blokes who just find themselves fighting for their lives in a situation outside their control.

The ending, with the implication of mutual respect is a far cry from the way most early westerns portrayed native Americans.

(IIRC the current Zulu ceremonial king said something along these lines about the film not so long ago.)
An outrage we can all agree on.... on 15:36 - Jun 15 with 1359 viewsCiderwithRsie

An outrage we can all agree on.... on 16:32 - Jun 14 by LazyFan

What's missed in that film is that the Zulu's are an honourable warrior army.

Whereas the British are more elitist than the Zulu's (they still had an elite too) and for disrespectful. They also try and make injured men do hard labour BEFORE the officers only then forced to do it and get stuck into this at the end.

And shows how ruthless the British army was and cared little for its own soldiers. All they had to do was retreat and let them burn the church and the retake it. The net result would have been lives saved on both sides, as the church got destroyed anyway.

A great expose of imperial arrogance and folly.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I wouldn't rely on the film for a critique of the British military of the day. Two fairly well-known inaccuracies:

- the 24th Foot later became the South Wales Borderers, but at the time they were the 2nd Warwickshire and by no means all Welsh - of the 7 guys who got VCs one was from Glos, another from Bristol and one from Chiswick. I think only two were definitively Welsh.

- The prominent character Henry Hook is portrayed as a malingerer and drinker who becomes a hero by accident; apparently he was a teetotaller and model soldier. Amazingly his daughters were still alive when the film was made and walked out of the premiere in protest
An outrage we can all agree on.... on 15:38 - Jun 15 with 1359 viewsflynnbo

An outrage we can all agree on.... on 12:44 - Jun 14 by BrianMcCarthy

Remember him smugly saying on Wogan once that to maintain a high standard of living you have to make a crap standard of film. Fine, but the punters are dishing out dosh to see you, kid.

Shame, as he's a good actor when he can be bothered do the tricky stuff like picking a good script, attempting an accent or moving around the set.

Never really got the draw of Zulu, but liked him in Get Carter, Alfie and especially Last Orders which is a cracking little film.

Brian, was "Last Orders" the film where he and a fellow war hero were persecuted by a gang of kids on a housing estate?
An outrage we can all agree on.... on 16:41 - Jun 15 with 1339 viewsBrianMcCarthy

An outrage we can all agree on.... on 15:38 - Jun 15 by flynnbo

Brian, was "Last Orders" the film where he and a fellow war hero were persecuted by a gang of kids on a housing estate?

No, though that one rings a bell.

'Last Orders' starred Caine, Helen Mirren, Bob Hoskins, the brilliant Tom Courtenay, Ray Winstone and David Hemmings. In it, Caine's character dies and the rest bring his ashes to Margate as per his request. I'm really bad at remembering details, but as I remember it there's good use of flashbacks and dialogue to bring the story of the group out. And, as you'd expect with that cast, the acting is excellent, convincing and understated.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

An outrage we can all agree on.... on 17:31 - Jun 15 with 1320 viewsTacticalR

An outrage we can all agree on.... on 15:38 - Jun 15 by flynnbo

That was Harry Brown. A poor man's Death Wish and a load of old tosh. He should stick to riding around on bumblebees.

Air hostess clique

An outrage we can all agree on.... on 20:26 - Jun 15 with 1260 viewsPunteR

I liked him in Children of Men, good film that.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

An outrage we can all agree on.... on 21:53 - Jun 15 with 1234 viewsBlackCrowe

back in the day, i liked Blame It On Rio (caine was good) but it all feels wrong these days.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

An outrage we can all agree on.... on 12:41 - Jun 16 with 1157 viewscolinallcars

Anyone know his first screen appearance ? I'd swear he played a soldier on guard in The Day The Earth Caught Fire, his only line was “ sorry sir, I can't let you through “
I've been told this is incorrect.
An outrage we can all agree on.... on 12:47 - Jun 16 with 1156 viewsPommyhoop

God's Holy Trousers!!
At least they got the winner correct.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

An outrage we can all agree on.... on 13:48 - Jun 16 with 1134 viewsDannyPaddox

A few years ago for sale on eBay was the actual laughing sailor automaton from Sleuth. Methinks it would look very at home in the Shepherd & Flock.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024