Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 91591 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 12:22 - Aug 3 with 1752 viewsisawqpratwcity

300-8, Bairstow out.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ashes thread on 12:23 - Aug 3 with 1751 viewsjonno

Ashes thread on 12:18 - Aug 3 by stowmarketrange

Surely that has to be the end for Ali?Now out without even attempting a shot.

Pretty abysmal. Why don't our batsmen have any idea how to bat against spin? But Ali has to be left out of the next side. Irresponsible batting from Stokes to get out on 50 will mean that England will only have a small lead, and not enough I suspect, from the first innings.
Ashes thread on 12:24 - Aug 3 with 1738 viewsNov77

I thought Stuart broads loss of form with the bat was the most dramatic I’ve seen, but mooen Ali must have surpassed him now.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 12:30 - Aug 3 with 1716 viewsNov77

Aussies put on 160 for their last two wickets in their innings, what odds we do the same?

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 12:34 - Aug 3 with 1696 viewsjohnhoop

Hope I’m wrong but I’d be very surprised if the half hour just gone doesn’t prove decisive in this match. Can’t see the Aussies being reduced to 122-8 again(although it’d be great if they were) and God knows how small a target would be low enough for us to fancy our chances of chasing it in the fourth innings.
Ashes thread on 12:43 - Aug 3 with 1669 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes thread on 12:23 - Aug 3 by jonno

Pretty abysmal. Why don't our batsmen have any idea how to bat against spin? But Ali has to be left out of the next side. Irresponsible batting from Stokes to get out on 50 will mean that England will only have a small lead, and not enough I suspect, from the first innings.

the Stokes shot was there to be hit, but it wasn't a great shot. Hardly irresponsible to go for it though - should've been dispatched and he was annoyed that he missed out, not because he went for the shot.

Agree, though, that this has swung massively back to the Aussies because on a 4th day pitch we'd struggle to chase anything over 120.

Played spin nicely yesterday to be fair. Lyon will always get wickets, not really about having no idea how to play it.

Bare bones.

Ashes thread on 12:55 - Aug 3 with 1630 viewsElHoop

I think that we've had the best of the conditions today too. At least we've kept them from batting in the sun. After lunch will be more difficult with cloud cover. Let's face it, Ali isn't in this side for his batting any more, but he'll need to perform well with the ball. Conditions should suit him.

If we are fifty or sixty ahead then Oz might be three or four down before they make us bat again.
Ashes thread on 12:58 - Aug 3 with 1624 viewsjonno

Ashes thread on 12:43 - Aug 3 by Antti_Heinola

the Stokes shot was there to be hit, but it wasn't a great shot. Hardly irresponsible to go for it though - should've been dispatched and he was annoyed that he missed out, not because he went for the shot.

Agree, though, that this has swung massively back to the Aussies because on a 4th day pitch we'd struggle to chase anything over 120.

Played spin nicely yesterday to be fair. Lyon will always get wickets, not really about having no idea how to play it.

Don't agree about Stokes. In a test match the batsman should be leaving anything out there, this is not a one day game. Stokes has improved at reigning in those kind of shots for test matches, but you just know that sooner or later he will have a waft at something and get out. In the situation England were in he should have been looking to grind out another 50 runs, even if it had taken two or three hours. One of England's main problems, in my view, is that there are too many one day players who cannot build a test innings. Buttler, Stokes, Ali, Bairstow etc. Stokes is a great one day player but in my view his bowling is not accurate or consistent enough for test level, and his batting, whilst it has improved, is still not solid enough. Lyon is no Shane Warne, but all our batsmen seem to struggle against any spinner.
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 13:29 - Aug 3 with 1578 viewsEsox_Lucius

Would you mind posting all the shortcomings in the QPR team before kick off today? to give them a good chance of winning. TIA.

The grass is always greener.

Ashes thread on 13:54 - Aug 3 with 1549 viewsElHoop

It's gonna get noisy there when we bowl.
Ashes thread on 14:10 - Aug 3 with 1526 viewsClive_Anderson

Those cheats are trying to get another new ball again.
Ashes thread on 14:16 - Aug 3 with 1514 viewsElHoop

Another year goes by, another year when Broady was written off.
Ashes thread on 14:46 - Aug 3 with 1484 viewsjonno

Proper test match batting by Woakes and Broad has put England into a much better position. You don't have to smash every ball to the boundary - it's about accumulating runs.
Ashes thread on 15:53 - Aug 3 with 1445 viewsjonno

Bye bye Warner - caught behind off Broad. Unbelievable that the umpire didn't give it and had to be reviewed.
Ashes thread on 16:00 - Aug 3 with 1421 viewsNov77

Ashes thread on 15:53 - Aug 3 by jonno

Bye bye Warner - caught behind off Broad. Unbelievable that the umpire didn't give it and had to be reviewed.

Remember all the abuse broad got in Oz for not walking when he’d nicked one, Warner’s just done the same.

Ashes thread on 18:05 - Aug 3 with 1370 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes thread on 12:58 - Aug 3 by jonno

Don't agree about Stokes. In a test match the batsman should be leaving anything out there, this is not a one day game. Stokes has improved at reigning in those kind of shots for test matches, but you just know that sooner or later he will have a waft at something and get out. In the situation England were in he should have been looking to grind out another 50 runs, even if it had taken two or three hours. One of England's main problems, in my view, is that there are too many one day players who cannot build a test innings. Buttler, Stokes, Ali, Bairstow etc. Stokes is a great one day player but in my view his bowling is not accurate or consistent enough for test level, and his batting, whilst it has improved, is still not solid enough. Lyon is no Shane Warne, but all our batsmen seem to struggle against any spinner.

You hit the bad balls - end of. Otherwise you invite more pressure on.
Lyon's a great bowler, but we played him well yesterday - he bowled all day for no reward. I think you just look for negatives, really.
I do agree we need players to build a test innings as Burns did so well, and we don't have enough of them. But Stokes can and has done that. But you can't leave gifts like that. There to be hit - dispatch it.

Bare bones.

Ashes thread on 18:43 - Aug 3 with 1332 viewsisawqpratwcity

Enjoying this Test very much. England have the edge, but not by much.

Ashes thread on 18:48 - Aug 3 with 1327 viewsNov77

Ashes thread on 18:43 - Aug 3 by isawqpratwcity

Enjoying this Test very much. England have the edge, but not by much.

Lot of rain forecast for tomorrow, shame.

Ashes thread on 20:48 - Aug 3 with 1283 viewsjonno

Ashes thread on 18:05 - Aug 3 by Antti_Heinola

You hit the bad balls - end of. Otherwise you invite more pressure on.
Lyon's a great bowler, but we played him well yesterday - he bowled all day for no reward. I think you just look for negatives, really.
I do agree we need players to build a test innings as Burns did so well, and we don't have enough of them. But Stokes can and has done that. But you can't leave gifts like that. There to be hit - dispatch it.

It wasn't a bad ball though and it wasn't a "gift". A bad ball is a half volley on leg stump. The ball he chased took off from a length outside the off stump and should have been left well alone, particularly given the state of the game at the time. You could see that Stokes knew it from his reaction afterwards. This is not a limited overs game, there is plenty of time left in the game and he should have been looking to occupy the crease and take ones and twos when available to build up a lead which the Aussies would have struggled to catch up with. Woakes and Broad, two far less capable batsmen, managed to do that to give us a 90 run lead, but that isn't enough and will see us having to bat in the last innings on a probably deteriorating pitch. Stokes should have batted more sensibly and that lead may well have been double, almost certainly preventing any chance of an Aussie win.
Ashes thread on 21:00 - Aug 3 with 1260 viewsEsox_Lucius

Ashes thread on 20:48 - Aug 3 by jonno

It wasn't a bad ball though and it wasn't a "gift". A bad ball is a half volley on leg stump. The ball he chased took off from a length outside the off stump and should have been left well alone, particularly given the state of the game at the time. You could see that Stokes knew it from his reaction afterwards. This is not a limited overs game, there is plenty of time left in the game and he should have been looking to occupy the crease and take ones and twos when available to build up a lead which the Aussies would have struggled to catch up with. Woakes and Broad, two far less capable batsmen, managed to do that to give us a 90 run lead, but that isn't enough and will see us having to bat in the last innings on a probably deteriorating pitch. Stokes should have batted more sensibly and that lead may well have been double, almost certainly preventing any chance of an Aussie win.

Do you find yourself standing alone at parties?

The grass is always greener.

Ashes thread on 23:13 - Aug 3 with 1209 viewstoboboly

What a great day of Aussie bashing. Really wish I could do the same tomorrow 👍

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Ashes thread on 23:23 - Aug 3 with 1201 viewsCiderwithRsie

QPR link: several references in the "View from the Boundary" interview on TMS at lunch today, featuring Keith Allen - including filming The Comic Strip at Loftus Road and playing gigs at the North Pole
Ashes thread on 06:41 - Aug 4 with 1139 viewsjonno

Ashes thread on 21:00 - Aug 3 by Esox_Lucius

Do you find yourself standing alone at parties?

This is a forum where people express their opinions - this thread is on the Ashes series. Perhaps it would be better if you expressed your own opinion on the subject in question rather than sniping at the opinions of others?
Ashes thread on 08:25 - Aug 4 with 1107 viewsTonto

This first session will decide this test match. If thebSussies getvthrough it with Smith still intact they will win. If we take 4 or 5 wickets (including Smith) we will.

Smith still the key.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Ashes thread on 08:35 - Aug 4 with 1095 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 06:41 - Aug 4 by jonno

This is a forum where people express their opinions - this thread is on the Ashes series. Perhaps it would be better if you expressed your own opinion on the subject in question rather than sniping at the opinions of others?

He has a point, Esox. If you disagree with Jonno, tell him exactly why. Waspish, irrelevant remarks and shooting off more down arrows than anyone else on LFW doesn't win you any plaudits.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024