Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 91052 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 14:50 - Aug 4 with 1545 viewskropotkin41

They are properly taking this game away from us now.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Ashes thread on 14:50 - Aug 4 with 1542 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 14:45 - Aug 4 by jonno

Ah, OK. They were suggesting on the BBC that it was a no-ball.

Yeah, when his back foot first hits the ground, it's still within the sideline, but spreads over it afterwards. If it had first landed on the line or over it, then it would have been a no-ball.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ashes thread on 14:56 - Aug 4 with 1525 viewsted_hendrix

Ashes thread on 16:17 - Aug 1 by ted_hendrix

Whatever his failings that Steve Smith is one hell of a batsman.

And on and on he goes while we fiff and faff about not having a clue on how to get the bloody bloke out.

Pains me to say but he is the best test batsmen out there bar absolutely no one.

Bollocks.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes thread on 15:12 - Aug 4 with 1497 viewsTonto

We are not going to win this game now. It's getting to the poi t where a draw would be creditable

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Ashes thread on 15:23 - Aug 4 with 1478 viewsisawqpratwcity

Thank you for two great innings, Steve Smith!

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ashes thread on 15:49 - Aug 4 with 1443 viewsClive_Anderson

Looks like a rain induced draw is our best bet now unfortunately.

Steve Smith is just too good.
Ashes thread on 15:56 - Aug 4 with 1436 viewskropotkin41

Ashes thread on 15:49 - Aug 4 by Clive_Anderson

Looks like a rain induced draw is our best bet now unfortunately.

Steve Smith is just too good.

I'd take a rained off draw now.

We're going to have to work out how to get Smith out otherwise this'll be "Smith's Ashes".

Ashes thread on 16:37 - Aug 4 with 1406 viewsCamberleyR

Hindsight I know but the decision to take a gamble on Anderson's fitness looks like it's going to bite us on the arse big time. I know he knows his body the best but common sense tells you, you don't recover from a calf tear in a month.

Had we a full bowling attack I think they would have struggled to get 150 in the first innings. Batting second time with a deficit of 200+ is a whole different ball game psychologically to batting again just 90 behind.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 16:51 - Aug 4 with 1390 viewskropotkin41

Ashes thread on 16:37 - Aug 4 by CamberleyR

Hindsight I know but the decision to take a gamble on Anderson's fitness looks like it's going to bite us on the arse big time. I know he knows his body the best but common sense tells you, you don't recover from a calf tear in a month.

Had we a full bowling attack I think they would have struggled to get 150 in the first innings. Batting second time with a deficit of 200+ is a whole different ball game psychologically to batting again just 90 behind.

Taking Anderson was inexplicable. Two spinners or put Archer in..... Shirley

Ashes thread on 17:12 - Aug 4 with 1348 viewsSnipper

Ashes thread on 16:51 - Aug 4 by kropotkin41

I wouldn’t count Moeen Ali as a spinner at the moment. We’ve played this test with 9 men.
Ashes thread on 17:22 - Aug 4 with 1329 viewsqprd

What’s the point of bowling Moeen now?

He’s been very uneconomical and ausssies are going to try to slog to have enough runs to declare and force England to face the new ball in worse lighting
Ashes thread on 17:31 - Aug 4 with 1321 viewsqprd

Ashes thread on 16:51 - Aug 4 by kropotkin41

2 spinners w the duke ball and seaming conditions is not advisable....
Ashes thread on 17:32 - Aug 4 with 1316 viewsted_hendrix

This is torture.

Ashes thread on 17:43 - Aug 4 with 1301 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes thread on 17:32 - Aug 4 by ted_hendrix

This is torture.

You’re right, the Aussies are basically taking the p-ss out of England now, possibly Smith’s response to all the booing. They had enough to win the game at least fifty runs ago.
Ashes thread on 17:49 - Aug 4 with 1287 viewsClive_Anderson

Why is it always hardest to bat last? If they can get 500 odd on day 4 why can't we bat out the last day?
Ashes thread on 17:49 - Aug 4 with 1284 viewsRangersw12

Ashes thread on 17:43 - Aug 4 by johnhoop

You’re right, the Aussies are basically taking the p-ss out of England now, possibly Smith’s response to all the booing. They had enough to win the game at least fifty runs ago.

Taking time out of the game is playing into our hands
Ashes thread on 17:52 - Aug 4 with 1272 viewsted_hendrix

Declaration any minute surely?

Ashes thread on 17:54 - Aug 4 with 1264 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes thread on 17:49 - Aug 4 by Clive_Anderson

Why is it always hardest to bat last? If they can get 500 odd on day 4 why can't we bat out the last day?

Because the pitch is turning square and they’ve got a spinner and we haven’t ?
Ashes thread on 17:54 - Aug 4 with 1263 viewsflynnbo

Ashes thread on 17:52 - Aug 4 by ted_hendrix

Declaration any minute surely?

Psychological battle during this last half hour.
Ashes thread on 18:00 - Aug 4 with 1244 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes thread on 17:54 - Aug 4 by flynnbo

Psychological battle during this last half hour.

Apparently it’s raining a few miles down the road from Edgbaston. The Barmy Army had better start doing a rain dance.
Ashes thread on 18:06 - Aug 4 with 1231 viewsClive_Anderson

Ashes thread on 17:54 - Aug 4 by johnhoop

Because the pitch is turning square and they’ve got a spinner and we haven’t ?

I mean in general really. Each innings in this game has got more runs, so why is batting last so hard?
Ashes thread on 18:14 - Aug 4 with 1223 viewsqprd

Ashes thread on 18:06 - Aug 4 by Clive_Anderson

I mean in general really. Each innings in this game has got more runs, so why is batting last so hard?

The pitch, as noted by the previous poster... even joe Denny was generating a lot of turn just now and he’s a part time bowler

And probably more relevantly, the pressure on the batsmen
Ashes thread on 18:16 - Aug 4 with 1219 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes thread on 18:06 - Aug 4 by Clive_Anderson

I think it’s what the commentators generally refer to as “scoreboard pressure “, which you wouldn’t think would be a big thing but it undoubtedly is. Batting last with an unreachable target, when you know you can’t win but only draw or lose makes it difficult for all sides but seemingly especially so for England, who never do well in these circumstances.
Lyon has opened the bowling and Roy would probably normally try to hit him out of the attack but if he tries that in these circumstances and gets out he’ll get castigated for it- bit of a no-win situation.
Ashes thread on 18:39 - Aug 4 with 1183 viewsqprd

Ashes thread on 18:16 - Aug 4 by johnhoop

I think it’s what the commentators generally refer to as “scoreboard pressure “, which you wouldn’t think would be a big thing but it undoubtedly is. Batting last with an unreachable target, when you know you can’t win but only draw or lose makes it difficult for all sides but seemingly especially so for England, who never do well in these circumstances.
Lyon has opened the bowling and Roy would probably normally try to hit him out of the attack but if he tries that in these circumstances and gets out he’ll get castigated for it- bit of a no-win situation.

ball definitely turned quite a bit for lyon

burns played well in the last little spell

jason roys footwork on the first two balls of the last over should makes me a bit nervous for tomorrow
Ashes thread on 18:44 - Aug 4 with 1171 viewsthame_hoops

Ashes thread on 17:12 - Aug 4 by Snipper

I wouldn’t count Moeen Ali as a spinner at the moment. We’ve played this test with 9 men.

This 100%.

Looking at the positives, we will get archer in for Anderson and probably leech for Ali, making us much stronger and Australia will probably keep the same side.

No way they recover from 110-8 in first innings or 35-3 in 2nd innings with a fully fit Anderson

Hope we bat out the draw and gain confidence from this

On a side note, as a Middlesex member I just saw an incredible innings from AB de Villiers at Richmond today, wow just wow
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024