Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 91039 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 13:50 - Aug 5 with 1615 viewstoboboly

Ashes thread on 13:42 - Aug 5 by johnhoop

It’s not so long ago that people were talking about Root, Smith, Kohli and Williamson as the best four batsmen in the world, as if they were all at a similar level above the rest. To mention Root in the same company as Smith now seems absolutely preposterous. His captaincy is truly dreadful so the best thing for him would be if they take it off him and let him concentrate on his batting so he can hopefully recover his form. A few years ago I thought he was potentially the best England batsman I’d seen in fifty plus years of watching the game but something has gone badly wrong.

It did, he was given the captaincy.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Ashes thread on 14:08 - Aug 5 with 1578 viewsNov77

This is abject surrender, to go from having them 122-8 to getting completely thrashed takes some doing.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 14:32 - Aug 5 with 1507 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes thread on 13:49 - Aug 5 by jonno

Buttler has gone. Neither he or Stokes are test match batsmen - just more one day sloggers.

Whether they are test batters or not (Stokes undoubtedly is in my opinion, Buttler less so, but to write him off as a slogger is a staggering disservice to his skill - and at least in this match he's just got out to a couple of snorters - in the winter he batted pretty well I thought) is kind of irrelevant, because do we have anyone better? Foakes maybe should come in for Bairstow or Buttler or maybe even Denle (whose time is up)y, but who else is there, really?

One thing we can't do is return to the 90s and just start putting people in and dropping them after a couple of tests. Roy played an awful shot today, but surely some small learning curve is allowed when opening in the Ashes?

Besides all that, and while our betting has been poor today, losing Anderson was realistically almost an insurmountable problem.

Bare bones.

Ashes thread on 14:54 - Aug 5 with 1463 viewsNov77

What’s the point in sending Anderson out? Don’t we need him fit ASAP? Why risk his injury getting worse?

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 14:59 - Aug 5 with 1442 viewsted_hendrix

As expected Lyon is killing us.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes thread on 15:00 - Aug 5 with 1439 viewsTheChef

Ashes thread on 14:32 - Aug 5 by Antti_Heinola

Whether they are test batters or not (Stokes undoubtedly is in my opinion, Buttler less so, but to write him off as a slogger is a staggering disservice to his skill - and at least in this match he's just got out to a couple of snorters - in the winter he batted pretty well I thought) is kind of irrelevant, because do we have anyone better? Foakes maybe should come in for Bairstow or Buttler or maybe even Denle (whose time is up)y, but who else is there, really?

One thing we can't do is return to the 90s and just start putting people in and dropping them after a couple of tests. Roy played an awful shot today, but surely some small learning curve is allowed when opening in the Ashes?

Besides all that, and while our betting has been poor today, losing Anderson was realistically almost an insurmountable problem.

Anderson really shouldn't have played. And on a disintegrating 5th day wicket you wouldn't expect too much.

The difference at the end of the day was Steve Smith.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ashes thread on 15:01 - Aug 5 with 1433 viewsted_hendrix

Ashes thread on 14:54 - Aug 5 by Nov77

What’s the point in sending Anderson out? Don’t we need him fit ASAP? Why risk his injury getting worse?

Ridiculous and embarrassing too

Ashes thread on 15:04 - Aug 5 with 1423 viewsCamberleyR

Ashes thread on 14:59 - Aug 5 by ted_hendrix

As expected Lyon is killing us.

Mauling us, shirley

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 15:13 - Aug 5 with 1404 viewsNov77

251 run defeat, embarrassing.

Ashes thread on 15:14 - Aug 5 with 1393 viewsted_hendrix

A one legged Anderson has just out scored Buttler with the bat

Ashes thread on 15:18 - Aug 5 with 1371 viewsrobith

Bairstow is an absolute wasteman
Ashes thread on 15:20 - Aug 5 with 1358 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes thread on 15:13 - Aug 5 by Nov77

251 run defeat, embarrassing.

I don’t think the Aussies have ever whitewashed us 5-0 at home but after that embarrassingly pathetic capitulation you have to wonder whether it’s on the cards.
Ashes thread on 15:21 - Aug 5 with 1353 viewstimcocking

Fcuking grim capitulation once again. Whatever the reason is, it's a fcuking humiliation.

I like him as a player and i'm loyal where possible, but surely they absolutely have to drop Moeen for a bit? It must be killing him. Can't see the Aussies letting him score a run. Not sure i can see any of our batsmen scoring easily after that. Too fragile. Very disappointed.

Still, that goal by Eze, huh?
Ashes thread on 15:28 - Aug 5 with 1333 viewsCamberleyR

Ashes thread on 15:00 - Aug 5 by TheChef

Anderson really shouldn't have played. And on a disintegrating 5th day wicket you wouldn't expect too much.

The difference at the end of the day was Steve Smith.

"The difference at the end of the day was Steve Smith."

And also that Denly, Buttler, Bairstow and Moeen managed a paltry 53 runs between them in 8 knocks.

Ashes thread on 15:30 - Aug 5 with 1326 viewsTheChef

Ashes thread on 15:21 - Aug 5 by timcocking

Fcuking grim capitulation once again. Whatever the reason is, it's a fcuking humiliation.

I like him as a player and i'm loyal where possible, but surely they absolutely have to drop Moeen for a bit? It must be killing him. Can't see the Aussies letting him score a run. Not sure i can see any of our batsmen scoring easily after that. Too fragile. Very disappointed.

Still, that goal by Eze, huh?

Calm down lads, still four matches to go.

1. We played this match a bowler down (arguably two)
2. Steve Smith in the 1st innings
3. Steve Smith in the 2nd innings

A fully fit XI for Lord's with players in form, let's go again.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ashes thread on 15:31 - Aug 5 with 1322 viewsjonno

That's kind of my point. I don't know enough about the red ball cricket game in England but I am assuming these are the best players we have. Unfortunately the majority of them clearly aren't good enough for this level of cricket - which is the highest level. I absolutely agree that many are quite brilliant at the white ball game - we did win the WC after all, but test cricket is an entirely different thing. It is probably unfair to expect them to do better, and maybe some of them shouldn't even be trying to play this type of cricket. And it's not just the batting though is it? Yesterday, when we were bowling, the pitch was "flat", "dead", "doing nothing" etc. (And yes I know we didn't have Anderson and Moeen was poor). The Aussies were scoring for fun. Now, one day later all of a sudden it has become "unplayable". Could it be the Aussies are better bowlers at test level than we are? Again, bowling with the white ball in limited overs is an entirely different game to bowling with the red ball in test matches.
Ashes thread on 15:32 - Aug 5 with 1319 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes thread on 15:28 - Aug 5 by CamberleyR

"The difference at the end of the day was Steve Smith."

And also that Denly, Buttler, Bairstow and Moeen managed a paltry 53 runs between them in 8 knocks.

And they had an off-spinner who made the wicket look unplayable whereas we had one who barely troubled the opposition at all.
Ashes thread on 15:32 - Aug 5 with 1316 viewsjonno

Ashes thread on 15:20 - Aug 5 by johnhoop

I don’t think the Aussies have ever whitewashed us 5-0 at home but after that embarrassingly pathetic capitulation you have to wonder whether it’s on the cards.

I think the weather will probably save us in a couple, that's why I predicted a 3-0 defeat.
Ashes thread on 15:38 - Aug 5 with 1295 viewsCamberleyR

Ashes thread on 15:32 - Aug 5 by johnhoop

And they had an off-spinner who made the wicket look unplayable whereas we had one who barely troubled the opposition at all.

True. 3-172 going at over four an over was a pretty poor effort I thought as the late, great Richie B might say. Had we had someone like Swann out there yesterday it would have been a different proposition.

Ashes thread on 15:47 - Aug 5 with 1273 viewsstevec

Ashes thread on 15:32 - Aug 5 by jonno

I think the weather will probably save us in a couple, that's why I predicted a 3-0 defeat.

Aside of rain affected games, are any two sides capable of batting out a 5 day test match these days?

You could probably take any international side from the 1970's and they'd whip the arsé off their modern day counterparts.
Ashes thread on 15:55 - Aug 5 with 1249 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes thread on 15:32 - Aug 5 by jonno

although your dour predictions have ultimately been proved true this time, I'm still having a fiver on us winning 2-1. It's only the first test.

Bare bones.

Ashes thread on 15:59 - Aug 5 with 1238 viewsjonno

Ashes thread on 15:55 - Aug 5 by Antti_Heinola

although your dour predictions have ultimately been proved true this time, I'm still having a fiver on us winning 2-1. It's only the first test.

Good idea to wait until we've been thrashed in the first one then, you will get better odds. Would love nothing better than to see you collect on that bet. Now where are your knee jerks?
Ashes thread on 16:17 - Aug 5 with 1211 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes thread on 15:59 - Aug 5 by jonno

Good idea to wait until we've been thrashed in the first one then, you will get better odds. Would love nothing better than to see you collect on that bet. Now where are your knee jerks?

won't be any for a while sadly - holidays and family things are stunting my start to the season!

I actually bet on the aussies in the semi at the halfway point - but that was like a sort of insurance for had we lost! was happier we won!

Bare bones.

Ashes thread on 16:22 - Aug 5 with 1203 viewsClive_Anderson

Our best bowler was out so we played with only 10 men and the Aussies got bonus a new ball that took two wickets when they on the ropes.

Think without that we would have won easily so I'm not going to get too depressed.

Bairstow and Moeen look a bit ropey though.

Whatever happened to Foakes and Curran? I thought they looked good when they came through.
Ashes thread on 16:23 - Aug 5 with 1200 viewsTonto

I dont see Moen getting another go. Shame as he was a great player 18 months ago. Rashid or Leach in the second test.

Denly is the next least secure... I think Sibley at the top of the order and Roy at 4 is a better line up.

Bairstow also looks dodgy but Fiakes hasnt setvthebworld on fire either this season..

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024