Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 91471 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 16:59 - Aug 5 with 2547 viewsrobith

Ashes thread on 16:23 - Aug 5 by Tonto

I dont see Moen getting another go. Shame as he was a great player 18 months ago. Rashid or Leach in the second test.

Denly is the next least secure... I think Sibley at the top of the order and Roy at 4 is a better line up.

Bairstow also looks dodgy but Fiakes hasnt setvthebworld on fire either this season..

My main issue with Bairstow is his desire to review everything when he's always out absolutely plum
Ashes thread on 18:08 - Aug 5 with 2487 viewsCamberleyR

Ashes thread on 15:47 - Aug 5 by stevec

Aside of rain affected games, are any two sides capable of batting out a 5 day test match these days?

You could probably take any international side from the 1970's and they'd whip the arsé off their modern day counterparts.

An example I always remember as a kid was the fourth and final Ashes test at The Oval in 1975. Australia batted first and made a massive 532-9 dec. We batted and made a pathetic 191.

Following on 341 behind we then batted a staggering 886 minutes (14 and a half hours!) to save the test. Bob Woolmer made 149 in 8 and 1/4 hours supported by John Edrich with 96 in 6 hours with David Steele (natch) and Graham Roope also with significant stays at the crease. This was with Lillee and Thompson at their peak as well. In all we batted one ball short of 234 overs. 234 overs FFS!

We also batted into a sixth day. Australia were 1-0 up in the series but it somehow utilised a rule they had back then where if a series was level the final test could add a sixth day to try to get a positive series result. Quite an unbelievable performance looking at it now.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/17192/scorecard/63149/england-vs-australia-4
[Post edited 6 Aug 2019 9:38]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes thread on 19:20 - Aug 5 with 2451 viewsthame_hoops

Ashes thread on 09:01 - Aug 5 by TheChef

Different gravy isn't he, AB?

He played one of the most amazing innings I've seen against Essex the other week. Unfortunately he couldn't repeat the trick against Kent last week (they looked very decent), hoping to see more runs from him this Thursday evening.

I saw both those games, the missed catch by the Essex fielder lol he juggled it 5 times. Can’t wait for Surrey one Thursday night, lovely to see big crowds too.AB’s last game unless we make the knockouts
Ashes thread on 05:57 - Aug 6 with 2336 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 14:54 - Aug 5 by Nov77

What’s the point in sending Anderson out? Don’t we need him fit ASAP? Why risk his injury getting worse?

Yeah, I wondered about that, too. Batting for the win, or even the three hours to stumps, was impossible.
Would it be considered craven and currish to deny Lyon the chance of his hat-trick? Hardly.
I'd noticed a few heavy, dark clouds building before Anderson came out. I can only think that there was still the possibility of an early rain- or light-called draw and hope like hell that he didn't aggravate his injury further.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ashes thread on 08:20 - Aug 6 with 2295 viewsTheChef

Ashes thread on 19:20 - Aug 5 by thame_hoops

I saw both those games, the missed catch by the Essex fielder lol he juggled it 5 times. Can’t wait for Surrey one Thursday night, lovely to see big crowds too.AB’s last game unless we make the knockouts

Ha ha, yes that missed catch was hilarious!

I'm hoping that since AB missed two games through injury, contractually he still has another two games to play.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ashes thread on 13:58 - Aug 6 with 2210 viewsthame_hoops

Ashes thread on 08:20 - Aug 6 by TheChef

I'm hoping that since AB missed two games through injury, contractually he still has another two games to play.

AB is contracted till August 8th i read, just happens to be 7 games from start of season to then, he wont make up the two he missed sadly.

I see Archer has taken 6-27 in a second 11 game for sussex
Ashes thread on 16:19 - Aug 6 with 2168 viewstimcocking

Anderson ruled out of the second.

I should fcuking think so!
Ashes thread on 16:21 - Aug 6 with 2169 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Ashes thread on 16:19 - Aug 6 by timcocking

Anderson ruled out of the second.

I should fcuking think so!

Easiest decision ever. The question is do the selectors have the balls to drop others who are not performing?
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 12:55 - Aug 9 with 2064 viewsthame_hoops

Ashes thread on 08:20 - Aug 6 by TheChef

fantastic game last night, I see AB has made himself available for the final two group games now (Hants and Somerset away) and then QF's and finals day if needed... fingers crossed
Ashes thread on 15:26 - Aug 9 with 1976 viewstoboboly

Moeen dropped for Leach. Denly keeps his place somehow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/49292631

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Ashes thread on 16:11 - Aug 9 with 1948 viewsTheChef

Ashes thread on 15:26 - Aug 9 by toboboly

Moeen dropped for Leach. Denly keeps his place somehow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/49292631

Bezzy mates with Ed Smith.

Still no look in for Foakes.

Ashes thread on 16:31 - Aug 9 with 1928 viewsmakaveli1882

Ashes thread on 12:55 - Aug 9 by thame_hoops

fantastic game last night, I see AB has made himself available for the final two group games now (Hants and Somerset away) and then QF's and finals day if needed... fingers crossed

Great night again at the Home of Cricket, we are playing Millwall on finals day for once I hope the Old Bill move it ....... if we get there
Ashes thread on 18:03 - Aug 9 with 1886 viewsRangersw12

Surely last chance saloon for Bairstow and Denly . Happy with Leach and Archer .

Our record isn't great against the Aussies at Lord's so will take a draw and hope Jimmy is fit for the 3rd test
Ashes thread on 19:40 - Aug 9 with 1838 viewsqprd

Ashes thread on 15:47 - Aug 5 by stevec

Aside of rain affected games, are any two sides capable of batting out a 5 day test match these days?

You could probably take any international side from the 1970's and they'd whip the arsé off their modern day counterparts.

Depends on the venue

Go to Antigua and both teams will declare in the 500s. Lara scored 375 and 400 there. Some mediocre batsman have scored centuries there. There are also some batting friendly pitches in the subcontinent, windies, Australia.

England is particularly bowler friendly and England’s batting is particularly weak, so I wouldn’t extrapolate much about test cricket batting from England tests

India can easily bat out 5 days with highly technical batsmen like pujara, Rahane and kohli. Same with Australia with smith and their never say die mentality
Ashes thread on 10:10 - Aug 12 with 1762 viewsTheChef

Forecast later this week not looking especially promising.

Could be a good toss to lose.

Ashes thread on 11:40 - Aug 12 with 1704 viewsrobith

My once in a lifetime ticket to day one of the Ashes test at Lords isn't looking the jackpot win I thought it was
Ashes thread on 11:53 - Aug 12 with 1685 viewsflynnbo

Ashes thread on 11:40 - Aug 12 by robith

My once in a lifetime ticket to day one of the Ashes test at Lords isn't looking the jackpot win I thought it was

I'm there too on the first day but, as you say, it doesn't look promising..
Ashes thread on 12:02 - Aug 12 with 1674 viewsTheChef

Ashes thread on 11:53 - Aug 12 by flynnbo

I'm there too on the first day but, as you say, it doesn't look promising..

I'm there on day two and the forecast then looks even worse!

Ashes thread on 16:01 - Aug 12 with 1600 viewstoboboly

Ashes thread on 12:02 - Aug 12 by TheChef

Raining out the second test isn't the worst thing I have heard for England's prospects. Gives Anderson/Archer more time to get fit and we always lose there anyway

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Ashes thread on 16:04 - Aug 12 with 1591 viewsthame_hoops

Ashes thread on 16:01 - Aug 12 by toboboly

Raining out the second test isn't the worst thing I have heard for England's prospects. Gives Anderson/Archer more time to get fit and we always lose there anyway

Id agree if we weren't 1-0 down already!
Ashes thread on 17:04 - Aug 12 with 1559 viewsNov77

Anyone know how easy it is to get tickets for day 5 if it looks like there’s going to be some play? Do they still do walk ups or is it all online?

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 18:06 - Aug 12 with 1522 viewsthame_hoops

Ashes thread on 17:04 - Aug 12 by Nov77

Anyone know how easy it is to get tickets for day 5 if it looks like there’s going to be some play? Do they still do walk ups or is it all online?

They usually announce it during play after tea on day 4 if it’s looking likely. I think it’s mostly always walk ups and get there early, not sure they have time to do online booking for some reason
Ashes thread on 19:11 - Aug 12 with 1486 viewsE17hoop

If you're there on Thursday then wear red.

https://ruthstraussfoundation.com/

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Ashes thread on 21:20 - Aug 12 with 1455 viewsacricketer

Ashes thread on 17:04 - Aug 12 by Nov77

Just MCC member Rover tickets available online.
Ashes thread on 08:51 - Aug 13 with 1376 viewsmakaveli1882

Ashes thread on 21:20 - Aug 12 by acricketer

Just MCC member Rover tickets available online.

Day 5 Grand Stand tickets on sale yesterday morning.

Mount Stand in Lower tier showing up now £20 if you quick.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024