Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 88574 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 15:04 - Aug 15 with 2051 viewsthame_hoops

Ashes thread on 14:47 - Aug 15 by TheChef

Put the mockers on that didn't you?

Fair to say this series feels somewhat after the Lord Mayor's show, given the World Cup win. Not detracting from the fact that England's red ball game has been below par for a while now.

Anyway, let's see where we are after both sides have batted.

Was saying the same to my dad earlier. I’m really not that fussed about the ashes after the WC, obviously I’d prefer England to win.

Butler gone now, deary me
Ashes thread on 10:47 - Aug 16 with 1905 viewsElHoop

We won't get a better chance of knocking them over than we'll get this morning.

Hopefully they'll go the same way that the Irish Indies did when Broad and Woakes got stuck into them.
Ashes thread on 11:47 - Aug 16 with 1878 viewshubble

Jofra gets his first test wicket! Lovely jubbly... closely followed by another one for Woakes!
Ashes thread on 12:05 - Aug 16 with 1853 viewshubble

Just to add, I love Isa Guha on TMS!
Ashes thread on 12:24 - Aug 16 with 1831 viewshubble

And another one bites the dust! Fabulous bowling spell from England.
Ashes thread on 12:49 - Aug 16 with 1794 viewsCamberleyR

Ashes thread on 12:05 - Aug 16 by hubble

Just to add, I love Isa Guha on TMS!

She annoys the tits off of me when she commentates on the telly on Sky. I have heard her on the radio and she is probably more suited to that medium.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes thread on 14:58 - Aug 16 with 1750 viewsNov77

Ashes thread on 12:49 - Aug 16 by CamberleyR

She annoys the tits off of me when she commentates on the telly on Sky. I have heard her on the radio and she is probably more suited to that medium.

Heard her on TMS last night, she was saying to Tuffers "so, I heard you've said if England get Steve smith out for nought, you're going to stroll naked down St John's Wood High Street?"

Tuffers replied, :weeelllllllll, I don't remember saying the word 'stroll'!"

By the way, can't believe sky are getting rid of Gower, what a way to treat an England legend.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 15:37 - Aug 16 with 1704 viewsPhildo

Ashes thread on 14:58 - Aug 16 by Nov77

Heard her on TMS last night, she was saying to Tuffers "so, I heard you've said if England get Steve smith out for nought, you're going to stroll naked down St John's Wood High Street?"

Tuffers replied, :weeelllllllll, I don't remember saying the word 'stroll'!"

By the way, can't believe sky are getting rid of Gower, what a way to treat an England legend.

Gower would be excellent on TMS however.
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 18:02 - Aug 16 with 1654 viewsQPR_John

Not an expert on cricket so bare with me. If a ball pitches outside leg and hits the wicket the batsman is out. If the ball would have hit the stumps but is stopped by the batsmans body the batsman is out. So why if the ball pitches outside leg but would have hit the wicket if not stopped by the batsmans body is the batsman not out.
Ashes thread on 19:04 - Aug 16 with 1638 viewsdaveB

Ashes thread on 15:37 - Aug 16 by Phildo

Gower would be excellent on TMS however.

realise how good Gower is when the Ashes were on BT the other year and the host was that prat Matt Smith who talks in third person all the time. Always liked Gower hosting the cricket, just feels so relaxing watching him and he knows what he is talking about
Ashes thread on 19:07 - Aug 16 with 1634 viewsdachiltern

Cannot be given out to a ball pitched outside leg stump.
Ashes thread on 19:13 - Aug 16 with 1630 viewsacricketer

Ashes thread on 18:02 - Aug 16 by QPR_John

Not an expert on cricket so bare with me. If a ball pitches outside leg and hits the wicket the batsman is out. If the ball would have hit the stumps but is stopped by the batsmans body the batsman is out. So why if the ball pitches outside leg but would have hit the wicket if not stopped by the batsmans body is the batsman not out.

The law is there to prevent negative bowling. If I can get Steve "The Cheat" Smith out by bowling an outside leg stump line and dry up runs by packing the leg side with all my fielders I'd be sorely tempted.
Ashes thread on 13:50 - Aug 17 with 1479 viewsjonno

Ashes thread on 18:02 - Aug 16 by QPR_John

The batsman is out if he is not playing a shot in that situation. As already said the law is designed to prevent negative bowling, but also negative batting so to prevent the batsman just padding the ball away without using his bat.
Ashes thread on 13:51 - Aug 17 with 1478 viewsjonno

Ashes thread on 19:07 - Aug 16 by dachiltern

Cannot be given out to a ball pitched outside leg stump.

You can if you are not playing a shot.
Ashes thread on 13:54 - Aug 17 with 1470 viewsjonno

Ashes thread on 12:24 - Aug 16 by hubble

And another one bites the dust! Fabulous bowling spell from England.

England still have the same problem, they cannot get Smith out. Until they can manage to do that they won't win a match.
Ashes thread on 14:37 - Aug 17 with 1428 viewsMick_Hill

This is brutal - Smith is getting battered.
Ashes thread on 14:48 - Aug 17 with 1409 viewsNov77

Archer is the real deal when he bowls like this.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 16:20 - Aug 17 with 1360 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 14:37 - Aug 17 by Mick_Hill

This is brutal - Smith is getting battered.

The booing when he came back on was disgraceful.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ashes thread on 16:41 - Aug 17 with 1340 viewsClive_Anderson

Ashes thread on 13:54 - Aug 17 by jonno

England still have the same problem, they cannot get Smith out. Until they can manage to do that they won't win a match.

I think they've figured out a way of getting him out now.
Ashes thread on 16:53 - Aug 17 with 1328 viewsClive_Anderson

Roy and Root out already
Ashes thread on 16:56 - Aug 17 with 1323 viewsNov77

England’s top order is a shambles.

Ashes thread on 16:58 - Aug 17 with 1320 viewsMick_Hill

Bad sport day.
Ashes thread on 17:08 - Aug 17 with 1298 viewskropotkin41

Oh ffs.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Ashes thread on 18:58 - Aug 17 with 1225 viewsClive_Anderson

Best chance to win is probably a lead of 220 odd. Means Australia goes for it and could all get out. Not a bad position to be in really.
Ashes thread on 19:49 - Aug 17 with 1187 viewsSnipper

Regardless of the outcome of this match, the best thing to happen for the sake of our test team is for the captain to stand down. He’s gone from being one of the best and most reliable batsman, to being a bunny.

If you free him from the burden of captaining the team, he’ll probably rediscover his batting form. There’s also the fact that he’s not a very good captain anyway.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 19:50]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024