Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 91043 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 19:56 - Aug 17 with 2187 viewsMedwayR

Ashes thread on 19:49 - Aug 17 by Snipper

Regardless of the outcome of this match, the best thing to happen for the sake of our test team is for the captain to stand down. He’s gone from being one of the best and most reliable batsman, to being a bunny.

If you free him from the burden of captaining the team, he’ll probably rediscover his batting form. There’s also the fact that he’s not a very good captain anyway.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 19:50]

I'd rather he stopped playing the short form of the game and focused on being a test batsman and captain. If he did that and still struggled then I'd be happy for him to step down. I also want him to stay at 4.

Burns has shown some grit and ability but the rest haven't, I'm a big fan of Denly but his call up to international cricket came too late.

Poll: Who’s better?

Ashes thread on 21:52 - Aug 17 with 2080 viewsthame_hoops

Archers spell of bowling was hostile. Hoping it has the same effect that Mitchell Johnson had against us back in Australia a few years ago when he terrified us
Ashes thread on 00:33 - Aug 18 with 2022 viewsstowmarketrange

I guess it wasn’t my best choice to give my ticket away for tomorrow then?
It could still go one of 4 ways but I’ll have to settle for watching it on tv now.
Ashes thread on 06:54 - Aug 18 with 1952 viewsjonno

Ashes thread on 18:58 - Aug 17 by Clive_Anderson

Best chance to win is probably a lead of 220 odd. Means Australia goes for it and could all get out. Not a bad position to be in really.

Not a chance. England will be all out by lunch time and the Aussies will knock off the runs - unless rain intervenes.
Ashes thread on 12:25 - Aug 18 with 1838 viewsRangersw12

Massive news Smith being out of the rest of the game and must make us favourites if we get over 200

Must put his place in jeopardy for rest of the series aswell
Ashes thread on 12:46 - Aug 18 with 1829 viewsClive_Anderson

We need 140 less runs to win now Smith is out.

Feels a bit bad the only way of stopping him is hitting him in the head with the ball, but that's cricket I guess.
Ashes thread on 15:24 - Aug 18 with 1779 viewsClive_Anderson

Lead is over 250 now.

We'd win this easily if it wasn't for the rain.
Ashes thread on 16:28 - Aug 18 with 1728 viewsTGRRRSSS

With a concussion substitute - can he also Bat?

I know normally a 12th Man cannot bat or bowl.
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 16:33 - Aug 18 with 1721 viewsClive_Anderson

Ashes thread on 16:28 - Aug 18 by TGRRRSSS

The new rules mean they can replace like-for-like. So I guess he's a batsman.

Although Archer has hit him in the head too now.
Ashes thread on 16:40 - Aug 18 with 1710 viewstoboboly

Ashes thread on 16:28 - Aug 18 by TGRRRSSS

Completely disagree with this concussion sub being able to bat or bowl.

You tear a muscle and it is traditional 12th man but a concussion allows an active player? Why are these injuries treated differently? You know someone in the future will use these differences to their advantage.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Ashes thread on 16:44 - Aug 18 with 1706 viewsClive_Anderson

Because they don't want players playing on after getting hit in the head for safety reasons.

Changed rules after Phillip Hughes.
Ashes thread on 19:00 - Aug 18 with 1647 viewsCamberleyR

Ashes thread on 16:40 - Aug 18 by toboboly

You tear a muscle and it is traditional 12th man but a concussion allows an active player? Why are these injuries treated differently? You know someone in the future will use these differences to their advantage.

Agree. A complete nonsense. If they're going to allow an sub that can bat/bowl for a concussed player then it should be the same for any injury.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes thread on 19:04 - Aug 18 with 1640 viewsCamberleyR

Ashes thread on 16:44 - Aug 18 by Clive_Anderson

Because they don't want players playing on after getting hit in the head for safety reasons.

Changed rules after Phillip Hughes.

Yes, well in that case they do as they'd done for years, the player concussed takes no further part in the match, in the field they're replaced by the twelth man, they don't bat again and the entry on the scorecard is 'absent hurt' or 'absent injured'.

Ashes thread on 19:05 - Aug 18 with 1636 viewsted_hendrix

153-6

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes thread on 22:14 - Aug 18 with 1544 viewsWilloW4

Ashes thread on 06:54 - Aug 18 by jonno

Not a chance. England will be all out by lunch time and the Aussies will knock off the runs - unless rain intervenes.

You're a cricket guru... Wrong again.!!
Ashes thread on 02:03 - Aug 19 with 1460 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 22:14 - Aug 18 by WilloW4

Be fair. He made that prediction before Smith was prohibited from taking further part in the game.

But at least you're better than Esox Lucius and Ned Kennedys: their idea of forum interaction is no argument, no debate, no interchange of ideas, not even any expression of language - no meeting of minds - just, click!, down arrow and on to the next target.

Clive, can we get some kind of tally device put on these champions of Ivory Tower Archery?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ashes thread on 03:47 - Aug 19 with 1435 viewsSydneyRs

Ashes thread on 02:03 - Aug 19 by isawqpratwcity

Be fair. He made that prediction before Smith was prohibited from taking further part in the game.

But at least you're better than Esox Lucius and Ned Kennedys: their idea of forum interaction is no argument, no debate, no interchange of ideas, not even any expression of language - no meeting of minds - just, click!, down arrow and on to the next target.

Clive, can we get some kind of tally device put on these champions of Ivory Tower Archery?

Doubt Smith would have made any difference to how quickly England would have been bowled out on day 5 though. If he had a bowl England may have got to 350 by the time they declared.
Ashes thread on 07:57 - Aug 19 with 1371 viewsjonno

Ashes thread on 22:14 - Aug 18 by WilloW4

Great. Some of England's middle order, particularly Stokes, actually showed they are getting the idea of test match batting. Still concerns over Roy, Denley and now Root though. By batting properly they firstly took away any chance the Aussies had of winning the game and then, with Smith missing, gave themselves an outside chance of winning. The series now hinges on whether Smith plays in the next games in my view.
Ashes thread on 08:05 - Aug 19 with 1365 viewsrbsranger

Ashes thread on 16:40 - Aug 18 by toboboly

You are comparing apples and oranges. Concussion is literally life or death changing, a torn muscle is an inconvenience. In all sports authorities are finally taking brain injuries seriously and if they had only allowed a traditional 12th man, Smith would have come out to bat with potentially fatal consequences to his long-term health. This article from the Guardian this morning sums it up pretty well with regards a concussion that Justin Langer had in 2006 in SA. The next change they need to implement is that the doctor needs to be independent - right now the doctor has one eye on the health of the player and the other eye on his employers that want said player back out there.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/aug/18/brutal-jofra-archer-cricket-a
Ashes thread on 08:52 - Aug 19 with 1339 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes thread on 19:00 - Aug 18 by CamberleyR

Agree. A complete nonsense. If they're going to allow an sub that can bat/bowl for a concussed player then it should be the same for any injury.

Can we change some of our batting line up during the match?We might get a decent score if we could bring on subs for Roy,Root and Denly.
Ashes thread on 08:58 - Aug 19 with 1336 viewsCamberleyR

Ashes thread on 08:05 - Aug 19 by rbsranger

You are comparing apples and oranges. Concussion is literally life or death changing, a torn muscle is an inconvenience. In all sports authorities are finally taking brain injuries seriously and if they had only allowed a traditional 12th man, Smith would have come out to bat with potentially fatal consequences to his long-term health. This article from the Guardian this morning sums it up pretty well with regards a concussion that Justin Langer had in 2006 in SA. The next change they need to implement is that the doctor needs to be independent - right now the doctor has one eye on the health of the player and the other eye on his employers that want said player back out there.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/aug/18/brutal-jofra-archer-cricket-a

"Smith would have come out to bat with potentially fatal consequences to his long-term health. "

Not true. Before this change to the laws, Smith coming back out to bat would have been voluntary not compulsory. If the medics felt it wasn't safe and he was not fit enough to bat again, England would have had to have taken just the nine wickets and he would have been shown as 'absent hurt' or 'absent injured' on the scorecard.

Ashes thread on 09:24 - Aug 19 with 1320 viewsElHoop

I don't see how Smith could possibly play on Thursday, if he was dizzy when he woke up yesterday. Aside from the fact that I don't think that he should have been playing in the first place, I think that it was wrong to boo him following his injury on Saturday. That seemed unnecessary. He's clearly a strange bloke with those ridiculous mannerisms and I felt a bit sorry for him on Saturday.

As for Archer, I thought that he was good but didn't realise that he was this good. An amazing effort in both innings. He smashed up Amla, Carey and Grandhomme in the World Cup and he's taken two more out here. They won't be the last if he stays fit, so they need to tighten up the rules on helmets and concussion, as he's quick and clever enough to kill someone.
Ashes thread on 10:05 - Aug 19 with 1299 viewsrbsranger

Ashes thread on 08:58 - Aug 19 by CamberleyR

"Smith would have come out to bat with potentially fatal consequences to his long-term health. "

Not true. Before this change to the laws, Smith coming back out to bat would have been voluntary not compulsory. If the medics felt it wasn't safe and he was not fit enough to bat again, England would have had to have taken just the nine wickets and he would have been shown as 'absent hurt' or 'absent injured' on the scorecard.

What I was saying is that like Langer in the article I quoted, he would have been desperate to come out to bat in the 2nd innings and if the game was on the line, would they have stopped him from coming out? This takes away the possibility of someone doing something seiously detrimental to their long term health.
Ashes thread on 10:09 - Aug 19 with 1294 viewsHooparoo

Joe Root is a cheat. No way did he take that catch. What a hypocrite. 😬

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes thread on 10:14 - Aug 19 with 1291 viewsthame_hoops

plenty of positives from both games being the optimist lol

with a fit Anderson in match one, they dont recover from 120-8 and without over two days washed out in match two we win.

plenty to look forward to for match three, aus need one win to retain the ashes, I could easily see a drawn series now, not the end of the world
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024