Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 90957 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 12:56 - Aug 23 with 1686 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes thread on 12:48 - Aug 23 by CamberleyR

I'm struggling to recall a worse England top 6 in my lifetime.

You’re dead right. Lots of people talk about how weak the England team was in the nineties but the batting was never as poor as this. At least people like Atherton, Hussain and Stewart showed some application.
Ashes thread on 13:00 - Aug 23 with 1667 viewsted_hendrix

Pains me to say this but you have to give some credit to the bloody Aussie bastards, got us sorted right out.

Bastards.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes thread on 13:02 - Aug 23 with 1659 viewsjohnhoop

I guess the reason for it is pretty obvious really. The constant emphasis on the crash bang wallop of 20/20 and other limited overs cricket means we’re simply not producing Test Match quality batsmen any more. And with the ludicrous “hundred” starting next year, it’s hard to see how it can get any better.
Ashes thread on 13:20 - Aug 23 with 1611 viewsClive_Anderson

Ashes thread on 13:02 - Aug 23 by johnhoop

I guess the reason for it is pretty obvious really. The constant emphasis on the crash bang wallop of 20/20 and other limited overs cricket means we’re simply not producing Test Match quality batsmen any more. And with the ludicrous “hundred” starting next year, it’s hard to see how it can get any better.

Eventually the main form of cricket will just be one ball bowled from each team.
Ashes thread on 13:36 - Aug 23 with 1574 viewsrunningman75

Not sure what preparation is carried out but I would make the players watch old test matches in terms of how people should bat. Players such as Gooch, Boycott, and Gower were players who could explain what is it like to stay in the crease for more than 10 overs (if lucky).
Ashes thread on 13:40 - Aug 23 with 1563 viewsHooparoo

Ashes thread on 13:00 - Aug 23 by ted_hendrix

Pains me to say this but you have to give some credit to the bloody Aussie bastards, got us sorted right out.

Bastards.

Here’s to Aussie bastards ya Pommy bastards 🍺🥂🍷

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes thread on 13:42 - Aug 23 with 1556 viewsnix

Ashes thread on 13:36 - Aug 23 by runningman75

Not sure what preparation is carried out but I would make the players watch old test matches in terms of how people should bat. Players such as Gooch, Boycott, and Gower were players who could explain what is it like to stay in the crease for more than 10 overs (if lucky).

This. Surely they can learn to avoid a ball short and wide or a bumper when we're up against it. Madness from Burns and Stokes. Boycott must be tearing his hair out.
Ashes thread on 13:47 - Aug 23 with 1542 viewsjonno

Ashes thread on 13:42 - Aug 23 by nix

This. Surely they can learn to avoid a ball short and wide or a bumper when we're up against it. Madness from Burns and Stokes. Boycott must be tearing his hair out.

The thing is that it's really not rocket science. Know where your off stump is and don't play at anything that is wide of that, down the leg side or short. In other words, make the bowler bowl at the stumps. Yes, you may get a great ball that is on the stumps that seams away and takes the edge but then you are far more likely to stay in a lot longer. That is what Test cricket is about.
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 13:53 - Aug 23 with 1522 viewsHooparoo

Goodness me. 56-8

Ashes thread on 13:55 - Aug 23 with 1509 viewstoboboly

Most pathetic batting display I have ever witnessed (on TMS). Of any country. Ever.

Got tickets for tomorrow. That'll be fun.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Ashes thread on 13:55 - Aug 23 with 1509 viewsClive_Anderson

I've never turned the Ashes off before. Absolute tripe.
Ashes thread on 14:00 - Aug 23 with 1504 viewsClive_Anderson

Archer's amazing bowling yesterday completely wasted.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him top score with the bat as well. He only needs 12

Edit: Nope out for 7
[Post edited 23 Aug 2019 14:02]
Ashes thread on 14:07 - Aug 23 with 1477 viewsClive_Anderson

67 all out

Pathetic.

Good bowling, but they've given away 5-6 wickets from nothing.
Ashes thread on 14:08 - Aug 23 with 1475 viewsNov77

Lowest score against oz since 1948, take a bow boys!

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 14:10 - Aug 23 with 1467 viewsHooparoo

Can’t see anything wrong with the pitch. Just great bowling. 😃

Ashes thread on 14:14 - Aug 23 with 1454 viewsNov77

[Post edited 23 Aug 2019 14:15]

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 14:15 - Aug 23 with 1452 viewsCamberleyR

This is what happens when you have a test side that doesn't play a lot of first class four day games in a run up to a test series. On one of the Ashes Debate programmes during the last test they compared the current top 6 and their minutes in the middle and balls faced in first class cricket with the 2005 team prior to the start of the Ashes series.

All of the 2005 team had significant time in the middle and balls faced. A couple of the current team had zero minutes and balls (from memory Buttler and Roy) and Bairstow had only faced something like 23 balls.

Until the ridiculous scheduling of the county championship is changed where the fixtures are bookended at the start and end of a season and nothing inbetween, this situation is unlikely to change.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes thread on 14:18 - Aug 23 with 1427 viewsozexile

Not many good deliveries in those wickets. Terrible shot selections.
Ashes thread on 14:24 - Aug 23 with 1397 viewsClive_Anderson

Warner gone....

Even if they only get 70 I wouldn't be confident of winning.
Ashes thread on 14:36 - Aug 23 with 1372 viewsflitwickhoop

Australia could declare now and win this comfortably. England have been pathetic, that shot by Stokes has to be seen to be believed.

Feel sorry for anyone who has Sunday tickets to be honest.
Ashes thread on 14:52 - Aug 23 with 1335 viewsnix

Ashes thread on 14:18 - Aug 23 by ozexile

Not many good deliveries in those wickets. Terrible shot selections.

That’s what I thought. They keep banging on about brilliant bowling from the Aussies but unless they led them into the poor shots with fantastic deliveries, it doesn’t look like it. Just from the wickets themselves it largely looked like terrible shots from our batsmen.
Ashes thread on 15:24 - Aug 23 with 1293 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes thread on 13:55 - Aug 23 by toboboly

Most pathetic batting display I have ever witnessed (on TMS). Of any country. Ever.

Got tickets for tomorrow. That'll be fun.

I’ve got tickets for all 5 days at the Oval.Anyone want to buy days 3,4 and 5 off me?
Absolute disgrace from all of the so called batsmen.
Ashes thread on 15:28 - Aug 23 with 1283 viewsClive_Anderson

52-3

The comeback is on
Ashes thread on 15:34 - Aug 23 with 1273 viewsrunningman75

38 years ago I fell in love with cricket more than my beloved QPR at the time. Now QPR always is number 1 despite recent performances. Would not pay the ticket prices now for cricket for most of the dross that England play.
Ashes thread on 15:45 - Aug 23 with 1245 viewstimcocking

ifs
[Post edited 23 Aug 2019 15:46]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024