Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 91047 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 01:57 - Jul 28 with 2037 viewsHooparoo

I think the series will be pretty competitive. I heard Pat Howard (ex-Wallabies but recently the Cricket Australia conditioning coach) speak at a function last week and he said the Aussies have prepared better than ever before (due to Justin Langer’s positive influence) and that they are determined to prove some people wrong.

Should be fun 😉

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes thread on 07:35 - Jul 28 with 1989 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ashes thread on 00:17 - Jul 28 by MrSheen

Harsh on Limerick? You’ll not much better, but from afar it seems that hurling is in a golden age with all the powers pulling their weight. You can see how quickly talented teams like Tipp, Waterford and Galway slide down the ladder when they aren’t at their best. Cork and Clare look good enough to have won championships in a less competitive age. Such a contrast with the football.

I think Kilkenny were much better than Limerick yesterday, to be honest. Worked harder, tactically more astute, better teamwork. They should have hit more than one goal early on perhaps which would have ended it. As it was, Limerick hit timely goals of their own to keep in a game they scarcely deserved to be in. The All-Ireland is too precious to be populated by the casual arrogance Limerick displayed yesterday. Kilkenny, on the other hand, with supposedly less talent displayed an honesty that was fiercely impressive.

I agree that the standard among players now is incredibly high. The all ‘round level of skill, strength and pace is at an all-time high. But there isn’t a truly great team out there right now, most teams are flawed in one department or other and we await the next era-defining team.

Sorry for the thread hijack, folks!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Ashes thread on 13:10 - Jul 31 with 1890 viewsEsox_Lucius

Let's get the partisan stuff up and running ready for tomorrow...

A Barnsley lady walked into a Police Station and the desk Sergeant said "Can I help you?"

"Yes" she said, "A fella’s just dragged me into a bush and had his way wi’ me.

"Can you describe the man?” Asked the Sergeant

"Yes, he wa’ wearing white shoes, long white trousers, a white shirt and he had these two rate big pads from his feet up to and ower his knees, one on each leg".

"Sounds to me like he was a cricketer, most probably a batsman", said the Sergeant.

"Eye, I reckon", said the lady, "He were likely an Australian Cricketer".

"That's very observant", said the Sergeant, "You worked that out from his accent?"

"No", she replied. "I worked it out ‘cause he weren't in for very long".

The grass is always greener.

Ashes thread on 17:35 - Jul 31 with 1832 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes thread on 13:10 - Jul 31 by Esox_Lucius

Let's get the partisan stuff up and running ready for tomorrow...

A Barnsley lady walked into a Police Station and the desk Sergeant said "Can I help you?"

"Yes" she said, "A fella’s just dragged me into a bush and had his way wi’ me.

"Can you describe the man?” Asked the Sergeant

"Yes, he wa’ wearing white shoes, long white trousers, a white shirt and he had these two rate big pads from his feet up to and ower his knees, one on each leg".

"Sounds to me like he was a cricketer, most probably a batsman", said the Sergeant.

"Eye, I reckon", said the lady, "He were likely an Australian Cricketer".

"That's very observant", said the Sergeant, "You worked that out from his accent?"

"No", she replied. "I worked it out ‘cause he weren't in for very long".

What’s the definition of an optimist?An Aussie batsmen putting sun cream on.
What do you call an Aussie cricketer with a 100 to his name?A bowler.
Come on England.
Ashes thread on 18:23 - Jul 31 with 1803 viewsflynnbo

What's the difference between yoghurts and Australians? Answer is that after time yoghurts develop a culture-obviously excluding our Rs supporting Aussies!!
[Post edited 31 Jul 2019 18:45]
Ashes thread on 20:58 - Jul 31 with 1756 viewsHooparoo

Ashes thread on 18:23 - Jul 31 by flynnbo

What's the difference between yoghurts and Australians? Answer is that after time yoghurts develop a culture-obviously excluding our Rs supporting Aussies!!
[Post edited 31 Jul 2019 18:45]

😘

Ashes thread on 08:59 - Aug 1 with 1657 viewsElHoop

Plenty more of this today hopefully

Ashes thread on 09:04 - Aug 1 with 1652 viewsHooparoo

Will be an interesting first session if we win the toss and bat. Warner and Bancroft I’m sure will get a warm welcome. I hope they boo because the more they boo the better the Aussies will play.

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 09:13 - Aug 1 with 1646 viewsElHoop

Ashes thread on 09:04 - Aug 1 by Hooparoo

Will be an interesting first session if we win the toss and bat. Warner and Bancroft I’m sure will get a warm welcome. I hope they boo because the more they boo the better the Aussies will play.

I'm not so sure about that. You can only play as well as we let you, and I think that we're a bit tougher at the moment.

Root goes in at 3 which is good. I'd ask the other three in the top order to go out and play and if they can average 25 then that's just fine. Let the middle order and Root make the big runs. Once you get through the Oz top order they look very lightweight. We look to have more runs in our side anyway, and i think that's what will win us the series.
Ashes thread on 10:07 - Aug 1 with 1617 viewsHooparoo

Ashes thread on 09:13 - Aug 1 by ElHoop

I'm not so sure about that. You can only play as well as we let you, and I think that we're a bit tougher at the moment.

Root goes in at 3 which is good. I'd ask the other three in the top order to go out and play and if they can average 25 then that's just fine. Let the middle order and Root make the big runs. Once you get through the Oz top order they look very lightweight. We look to have more runs in our side anyway, and i think that's what will win us the series.

I’ll just be happy to spot a QPR shirt in the crowd at Egbaston. 😉

Ashes thread on 10:23 - Aug 1 with 1602 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes thread on 10:07 - Aug 1 by Hooparoo

I’ll just be happy to spot a QPR shirt in the crowd at Egbaston. 😉

You’ll see one in the oval test mate.I’ll be in the Peter May stand for all 5 days.I guess it might be the Saturday of the Luton home game that I’ll wear it.
Ashes thread on 10:33 - Aug 1 with 1592 viewsHooparoo

Ashes thread on 10:23 - Aug 1 by stowmarketrange

You’ll see one in the oval test mate.I’ll be in the Peter May stand for all 5 days.I guess it might be the Saturday of the Luton home game that I’ll wear it.

Good man yourself😎

Ashes thread on 10:54 - Aug 1 with 1578 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes thread on 10:33 - Aug 1 by Hooparoo

Good man yourself😎

Good luck mate.May the best team win.
Ashes thread on 10:58 - Aug 1 with 1573 viewsjonno

Aussies win the toss and are batting first.
Ashes thread on 10:59 - Aug 1 with 1572 viewsSnipper

Hope I’m wrong, but I think we’ll lose this series.

We have fragile openers. We’ll be one down early doors most innings.
Ashes thread on 11:07 - Aug 1 with 1565 viewsstowmarketrange

Warner Out But didn’t walk.
Ashes thread on 11:09 - Aug 1 with 1560 viewsjonno

Ashes thread on 11:07 - Aug 1 by stowmarketrange

We should have reviewed - Warner would have been out first ball.
Ashes thread on 11:10 - Aug 1 with 1559 viewsSnipper

Ashes thread on 11:07 - Aug 1 by stowmarketrange

99.9% don’t walk now. Sad really.
Ashes thread on 11:14 - Aug 1 with 1548 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes thread on 11:10 - Aug 1 by Snipper

99.9% don’t walk now. Sad really.

I wonder if we can blank his face and name out of the press coverage?
Ashes thread on 11:20 - Aug 1 with 1533 viewsstowmarketrange

Get in there.Warner Out.And replays show it was missing the stumps.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2019 11:21]
Ashes thread on 11:22 - Aug 1 with 1526 viewsjonno

Ashes thread on 11:20 - Aug 1 by stowmarketrange

Get in there.Warner Out.And replays show it was missing the stumps.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2019 11:21]

Yep - cancels out the first shout.
Ashes thread on 11:25 - Aug 1 with 1522 viewstoboboly

THATS KARMA YOU CHEATING FCUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Ashes thread on 11:27 - Aug 1 with 1519 viewsjonno

England bowling very well, getting the ball up there and nothing short. Aussies finding batting very tricky. Poor decision by the umpire for Warner's wicket - always looked like it was going leg-side. Amazed they didn't review it!
Ashes thread on 11:30 - Aug 1 with 1507 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes thread on 11:27 - Aug 1 by jonno

England bowling very well, getting the ball up there and nothing short. Aussies finding batting very tricky. Poor decision by the umpire for Warner's wicket - always looked like it was going leg-side. Amazed they didn't review it!

He was batting so far out of his crease that he should’ve known it was missing the stumps and reviewed it.It was harder for the umpire from 22 yards away to readjust his vision to assume that he was 3 feet further forward than they normally are.
Ashes thread on 11:33 - Aug 1 with 1505 viewsHooparoo

Ashes thread on 11:22 - Aug 1 by jonno

Yep - cancels out the first shout.

Agree he was out first ball and should have walked. Last decent Aussie who always walked was Adam Gilchrist. Fun fact - Adam is from my hometown - Lismore New South Wales. Our fathers knew each other

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024