Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 91078 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 14:36 - Aug 1 with 1764 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes thread on 14:24 - Aug 1 by jonno

Some abysmal umpiring decisions in this game already. Smith should never have been given out just now, ball clearly missing the stumps and it was overturned on review, then Wade was plumb LBW but given not out, overturned on review.

The umpires seem to be worried about making the wrong decision too much.The drs system appears to be making them look inferior to how they used to be.
Ashes thread on 14:45 - Aug 1 with 1731 viewsstowmarketrange

7 down now.
Another shocker though by the umpire.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2019 14:49]
Ashes thread on 14:47 - Aug 1 with 1721 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Excellent stuff so far for England.

I was 100% behind England as I always am for the Ashes, but the football-style booing and choruses of 'Cheerio, Cheerio, Cheerio' are leaving a slightly bad taste in the mouth.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Ashes thread on 14:48 - Aug 1 with 1716 viewsElHoop

This series is over already. Give us the urn back now.

Three cheats, Khawaja and a seven man tail does not make for a competitive series.

It's a good job that they've raised their game due to the booing - they'd be in real trouble otherwise.
Ashes thread on 14:53 - Aug 1 with 1694 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes thread on 14:48 - Aug 1 by ElHoop

This series is over already. Give us the urn back now.

Three cheats, Khawaja and a seven man tail does not make for a competitive series.

It's a good job that they've raised their game due to the booing - they'd be in real trouble otherwise.

Khawaja is also a cheat.There is no way anyone can be certain that he caught that one at the mcg but he still claimed the catch.
I know the umpires couldn’t be 100% sure either but they gave it out too.
Ashes thread on 15:05 - Aug 1 with 1672 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes thread on 14:31 - Aug 1 by Antti_Heinola

nah, jonno's cricket predictions are about as successful as QPR transfer negotiation.

there's one for Stokesey...!

Still desperately pleading for Jonno to predict our relegation.

Bare bones.

Ashes thread on 15:18 - Aug 1 with 1637 viewsElHoop

Ashes thread on 14:53 - Aug 1 by stowmarketrange

Khawaja is also a cheat.There is no way anyone can be certain that he caught that one at the mcg but he still claimed the catch.
I know the umpires couldn’t be 100% sure either but they gave it out too.

I just don't like this bunch of idiots at all. They didn't pay a sufficient price for cheating. They should have missed at least one world cup and one Ashes series. I hope that we rub them out completely. Boooo!!!!
Ashes thread on 15:20 - Aug 1 with 1633 viewsrunningman75

Steve Smith is a great batsman. It is sad his cheating will be remembered more than his batting. One of the best modern era batsman.
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 15:40 - Aug 1 with 1599 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes thread on 15:20 - Aug 1 by runningman75

Steve Smith is a great batsman. It is sad his cheating will be remembered more than his batting. One of the best modern era batsman.

He was captain and had to carry the can, but did we ever find out for sure of he knew about it? Absolutely not defending him, but Warner and Bancroft seemed the main b'stards to me.

Bare bones.

Ashes thread on 15:49 - Aug 1 with 1581 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes thread on 15:40 - Aug 1 by Antti_Heinola

He was captain and had to carry the can, but did we ever find out for sure of he knew about it? Absolutely not defending him, but Warner and Bancroft seemed the main b'stards to me.

I don’t know how the bowlers can claim innocence too.They get to know the ball like the back of their hands and they should’ve noticed the telltale scuff marks on one side of it.They all chose to say nothing and get on with trying to win the game through underhand methods.
As bad as the England bowlers were when it happened with Atherton.
Ashes thread on 15:53 - Aug 1 with 1574 viewsTheChef

Ashes thread on 14:47 - Aug 1 by BrianMcCarthy

Excellent stuff so far for England.

I was 100% behind England as I always am for the Ashes, but the football-style booing and choruses of 'Cheerio, Cheerio, Cheerio' are leaving a slightly bad taste in the mouth.

Edgbaston innit. But then we get enough stick in Australia so I don't think they can complain.

Great day so far, only issue is England still have to bat.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ashes thread on 16:14 - Aug 1 with 1549 viewsElHoop

Ashes thread on 15:53 - Aug 1 by TheChef

Edgbaston innit. But then we get enough stick in Australia so I don't think they can complain.

Great day so far, only issue is England still have to bat.

The weather looks better for batting tomorrow. Hopefully the rain will limit the time that we have to bat tonight, as it won't be very easy in the Brum murk.
Ashes thread on 16:17 - Aug 1 with 1541 viewsted_hendrix

Whatever his failings that Steve Smith is one hell of a batsman.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes thread on 18:40 - Aug 1 with 1429 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Smith just booed off by some of the crowd after a superb innings.

I find it all a bit disingenuous. As if the three players concerned were the only players ever to cheat. This in a series whose history is haunted by Bodyline. Thankfully many applauded him off. Important to keep standards up.

Enjoyable day's cricket, and commentary from Sky.

Ashes thread on 19:00 - Aug 1 with 1397 viewsisawqpratwcity

Interesting day's play. England will regret conceding 162 for the last two wickets.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ashes thread on 19:01 - Aug 1 with 1396 viewsRangersw12

Potentially match winning innings from Smith we need to get 250 as a minimum . Root needs to play a captain's innings

Deserved to be booed though he got off lightly with the punishment. Let's not forget how poorly Broad was treated by the Aussies a few years ago
Ashes thread on 19:17 - Aug 1 with 1376 viewsrobith

Ashes thread on 18:40 - Aug 1 by BrianMcCarthy

Smith just booed off by some of the crowd after a superb innings.

I find it all a bit disingenuous. As if the three players concerned were the only players ever to cheat. This in a series whose history is haunted by Bodyline. Thankfully many applauded him off. Important to keep standards up.

Enjoyable day's cricket, and commentary from Sky.

I'm usually the embodiment of the Corinthian spirit but Smith was the captain in charge of team where they systemically cheated their way to the top. This was not a one off incident, it was not even inside of the laws like Bodyline was at the time. It was unbashed cheating that robbed teams of a fair shot, and the only thing they showed repentance for was the fact that they got caught.

I'm of the opinion the Smith and Warner in particular should never be allowed to play top level cricket ever again. Certainly if they were Pakistani their feet wouldn't have touched the floor.

I play in a park cricket league and every year the behaviour and attitudes get worse and worse; teams openly cheat and give hooky decisions against you in a way they never would have done 4 or 5 years ago. And why wouldn't they? Smith can openly flout the laws for a year and essentially get a slap on the wrist and lauded when he comes back. After the example New Zealand set in the world cup, f**k Smith. I won't boo him at Lords cos I'm not about that life, but ever run he scores spits in the face of cricket
Ashes thread on 19:28 - Aug 1 with 1358 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ashes thread on 19:17 - Aug 1 by robith

I'm usually the embodiment of the Corinthian spirit but Smith was the captain in charge of team where they systemically cheated their way to the top. This was not a one off incident, it was not even inside of the laws like Bodyline was at the time. It was unbashed cheating that robbed teams of a fair shot, and the only thing they showed repentance for was the fact that they got caught.

I'm of the opinion the Smith and Warner in particular should never be allowed to play top level cricket ever again. Certainly if they were Pakistani their feet wouldn't have touched the floor.

I play in a park cricket league and every year the behaviour and attitudes get worse and worse; teams openly cheat and give hooky decisions against you in a way they never would have done 4 or 5 years ago. And why wouldn't they? Smith can openly flout the laws for a year and essentially get a slap on the wrist and lauded when he comes back. After the example New Zealand set in the world cup, f**k Smith. I won't boo him at Lords cos I'm not about that life, but ever run he scores spits in the face of cricket

I agree with you, and that's very well said. I just wouldn't boo. I think it's childish and hypocritical.

Who amongst us hasn't cheered a Wegerle dive for a penalty?

Ashes thread on 19:47 - Aug 1 with 1338 viewsashranger

Boooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! 😁

I love a good boooooooooooo

Smith and Warner are cheats enough said.
Ashes thread on 20:09 - Aug 1 with 1312 viewsTonto

I dislike Warner far more than Smith...

But Smith dealt with it far better than Warner who looked scrambled.

Smith got them out of jail today. But the fieldnpostions at the end were just wrong.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Ashes thread on 20:14 - Aug 1 with 1309 viewsacricketer

Ashes thread on 15:20 - Aug 1 by runningman75

Ah yes, Steve "The Cheat" Smith!!
Ashes thread on 00:53 - Aug 2 with 1218 viewsbob566

Ashes thread on 20:14 - Aug 1 by acricketer

Ah yes, Steve "The Cheat" Smith!!

There was no cheating today. Brilliant batsman
Ashes thread on 02:14 - Aug 2 with 1195 viewsacricketer

Ashes thread on 00:53 - Aug 2 by bob566

There was no cheating today. Brilliant batsman

He couldn't get his hands on the ball!
Ashes thread on 02:25 - Aug 2 with 1188 viewstimcocking

Jimmy, you've fcuked us! Can't be saying you're fit to play in a game of this magnitude when you're not.

Batting second you have to think we've lost a massive opportunity here, likely turned a heroic win into an ignominious defeat. So bloody typical for England.

Ps So, the poor umpires made seven incorrect decisions regarding dismissals. The logic of having the technology and only using it not to give a correct decision, but to prove the umpires wrong escapes me completely. Why not use the technology to give the correct decisions?
[Post edited 2 Aug 2019 2:41]
Ashes thread on 02:41 - Aug 2 with 1174 viewsstowmarketrange

Radio 5live were saying that Australia were in a strong position after day 1 of the test,but I think 95% of us would’ve been happy to see them all out for less than 300 on day 1.
Just a shame that piggy smith has got his eye in again.
We knew that we’d need to bat well in the 1st innings anyway.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2019 2:41]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024