Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Last Hurrah of QPR 09:45 - Aug 20 with 2921 viewssimmo

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2019/08/19/the-last-hurrah-of-qpr-when-an-unfashio

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

The Last Hurrah of QPR on 09:58 - Aug 20 with 2868 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thanks for that, Simmo. Brilliantly written and beautifully evocative. Good times.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The Last Hurrah of QPR on 10:22 - Aug 20 with 2806 views2Thomas2Bowles

Nice write up

Clive could learn a thing or 2

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

The Last Hurrah of QPR on 13:04 - Aug 20 with 2544 viewsheadhoops

Thanks for sharing Simmo, bought back some fond memories. If only Richard Thompson had backed Francis with more investment for players, who knows where that team could have finished?

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

The Last Hurrah of QPR on 13:10 - Aug 20 with 2517 viewsDorse

Thanks Simmo. I absolutely loved being a QPR fan back then. Anything seemed possible.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

The Last Hurrah of QPR on 13:45 - Aug 20 with 2437 viewssimmo

Wouldn’t have thought as a 9/10 year old back then that those days were the best it was ever going to be as a QPR fan. Football seemed much simpler in the mid 90’s, more about the game and the odd breakout star like Les could take you so far. Apart from the Ollie/Cook/Ainsworth years, it was a brilliant time to be a QPR fan.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

The Last Hurrah of QPR on 13:50 - Aug 20 with 2415 viewsMytch_QPR

The Last Hurrah of QPR on 13:10 - Aug 20 by Dorse

Thanks Simmo. I absolutely loved being a QPR fan back then. Anything seemed possible.

Yep. We feared no-one.
And a ticket in The Loft was £10 for members.
Happy days indeed.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

The Last Hurrah of QPR on 13:55 - Aug 20 with 2399 viewsPinnerPaul

Enjoyed that and also the piece on the 75/76 which I hadn't seen before.

Only blot on the older piece is the omission of the exciting Stan Bowles record breaking UEFA Cup campaign the following season.
The Last Hurrah of QPR on 14:18 - Aug 20 with 2352 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I didn't know Bardsley played in the 1984 cup final.

Great article cheers.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Login to get fewer ads

The Last Hurrah of QPR on 14:21 - Aug 20 with 2340 viewsstevec

Good piece. As a disciple of the 70's side it's unfairly easy to overlook that period but a very good team sadly run by a very bad Board.

Thought Man United's greed for riches would do for us early 1980's but we stemmed that tide and, if we'd had a Board of Directors with vision, might have survived the changes the Premier League brought.
The Last Hurrah of QPR on 23:18 - Aug 20 with 1944 viewsHastings_Hoops

The Last Hurrah of QPR on 13:04 - Aug 20 by headhoops

Thanks for sharing Simmo, bought back some fond memories. If only Richard Thompson had backed Francis with more investment for players, who knows where that team could have finished?

Think Richard Thompson got it right and thankfully we’re reverting to our roots of being a buy low, sell high club. Look where big spending got us (Chris Wright - Fernandez).

Couple of observation on the piece - wasn’t Impey a regular that year and Holloway and Barker would slog it out to partner Wilkins in the Middle? Stejskal and Roberts had a battle for the number one shirt as well I recall, or maybe Jan was injured for a bit.

Personally I think it was the loss of Wilson that hit us just as hard as the loss of Les.

Brilliant write up.
The Last Hurrah of QPR on 00:47 - Aug 21 with 1912 viewsSydneyRs

Great stuff. My peak years of going to LR before emigrating ran from the early 80s (promotion year was my first going regularly) to mid 90s. Little did I know then they were some of the best times in our history, kind of took it all for granted.

The last game I went to before leaving to travel was a home win v Spurs at the end of the 94/95 season. We were on a high that day having secured another top 10 finish. Almost as soon as I left the country the decline began with the sale of Les and subsequent relegation.

I returned to the UK in 97 and the first game I went to was a dismal 0-2 home loss against Reading. It really summed up what had happened to us in a couple of years. That season did pick up a bit later with John Spencer hitting a purple patch but it wasn't enough to make the playoffs and the rest is history.
The Last Hurrah of QPR on 09:29 - Aug 21 with 1753 viewsCamberleyR

The Last Hurrah of QPR on 23:18 - Aug 20 by Hastings_Hoops

Think Richard Thompson got it right and thankfully we’re reverting to our roots of being a buy low, sell high club. Look where big spending got us (Chris Wright - Fernandez).

Couple of observation on the piece - wasn’t Impey a regular that year and Holloway and Barker would slog it out to partner Wilkins in the Middle? Stejskal and Roberts had a battle for the number one shirt as well I recall, or maybe Jan was injured for a bit.

Personally I think it was the loss of Wilson that hit us just as hard as the loss of Les.

Brilliant write up.

"Couple of observation on the piece - wasn’t Impey a regular that year and Holloway and Barker would slog it out to partner Wilkins in the Middle? Stejskal and Roberts had a battle for the number one shirt as well I recall, or maybe Jan was injured for a bit. "

You're right. Gerry liked his wingers with Sinton left and Impey right. Super Ray got injured on Boxing Day and was out for three months and I thought I remembered Holloway and Barker both playing together in the middle during that period but seems I remember wrongly.

Checking back, Brevett was deployed at left back and it appears that Willo was moved to midfield as he wore 7 or 8 bar two games where he moved back to left back. In hindsight, we should have signed a midfield reinforcement rather than try to make do as Wilkins wasn't getting any younger and we should have been looking at his long term replacement. Who knows where we may have finished?

I'm convinced that had Wilkins stayed fit the whole season we would have gone very, very close. When he returned from injury and we went back to the familiar starting eleven for the final six games, we won four and drew the other two.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

The Last Hurrah of QPR on 10:51 - Aug 21 with 1680 viewsHastings_Hoops

The Last Hurrah of QPR on 09:29 - Aug 21 by CamberleyR

"Couple of observation on the piece - wasn’t Impey a regular that year and Holloway and Barker would slog it out to partner Wilkins in the Middle? Stejskal and Roberts had a battle for the number one shirt as well I recall, or maybe Jan was injured for a bit. "

You're right. Gerry liked his wingers with Sinton left and Impey right. Super Ray got injured on Boxing Day and was out for three months and I thought I remembered Holloway and Barker both playing together in the middle during that period but seems I remember wrongly.

Checking back, Brevett was deployed at left back and it appears that Willo was moved to midfield as he wore 7 or 8 bar two games where he moved back to left back. In hindsight, we should have signed a midfield reinforcement rather than try to make do as Wilkins wasn't getting any younger and we should have been looking at his long term replacement. Who knows where we may have finished?

I'm convinced that had Wilkins stayed fit the whole season we would have gone very, very close. When he returned from injury and we went back to the familiar starting eleven for the final six games, we won four and drew the other two.

Was it the following season that we brought in Steve Hodge - didn't quite work out as the new-Ray did it?!

I felt that Dichio and Gallen would have been up to the task in the relegation season if they were given good service from Wilson staying - especially Dichio on the end of Willo's crosses.

Never understood why Roberts continued to pose a threat to Stejskal. Although let's not forget that Stejskal was prone to the odd blunder every now and again, even though he was one of the best GK's in the world at the time - makes you think and put some of the much lamented Lumley moments into context.
The Last Hurrah of QPR on 12:24 - Aug 21 with 1585 viewsthemodfather

this was a wonderful team/ era and we also had many quarter final showings, most teams took cups seriously and we were decent. the don howe team had an outstanding record I think only milan bettered, 2 losses in 65 or so? the sale of sir les was pivotal, as the money brought in was wasted imo and the slide began, we often got gates around 25000 too, that;s over looked a lot, Chelsea were a hooligan laden bunch of relegation fodder, arsenal boring and man city won nothing,
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024