Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Love for Roy Keane.. 23:10 - Sep 11 with 7282 viewsPommyhoop

Just look at his all-time best United eleven he's played with and you'll know why.
Good man Roy, Good man.

12.00 for those who can't be arsed to watch it all.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

New Love for Roy Keane.. on 23:24 - Sep 11 with 6007 viewsstainrods_elbow

The business as a player, sure, but is he really a 'good man'?

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

New Love for Roy Keane.. on 23:41 - Sep 11 with 5977 viewsdigswellhoop

spoke his mind then and now
New Love for Roy Keane.. on 00:48 - Sep 12 with 5913 viewstimcocking

New Love for Roy Keane.. on 23:41 - Sep 11 by digswellhoop

spoke his mind then and now

Indeed. Like him or not, he's a man of integrity who'll speak his mind. Have to respect anybody who has the balls to still try and be honest in this day and age, it is a rarity, not to mention illegal.

I wasn't a fan of Roy Keane until i read his book. He's just an old school geezer living in a time of gay selfies.

He said early on he wasn't even the best player in his youth team in Ireland, but just made sure nobody ever got past him. I liked that. He also said he's often considered a loaner; said that's bollox. He used to be at the club with the likes of Pallister, Bruce, Bryan Robson etc., they'd be down the pub getting pissed after every game. Suddenly he's playing with boring professionals, such as Beckham and the Nevilles, who'd no idea what a nightclub even was. He also said, in the really close games where you had to really dig in and fight, it was the men from pub who were the ones you could always rely on to give blood for the cause.
New Love for Roy Keane.. on 00:56 - Sep 12 with 5910 viewsBoston

Always torn on this bloke, s’pose that’s not a bad thing on reflection.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

New Love for Roy Keane.. on 02:29 - Sep 12 with 5881 viewsjtuck

Keane is a wild card but he gave the best performance I have ever seen by an away player at Loftus Road in his final days with Nottingham Forest in the early 90s. He was fabulous, a midfield Tasmanian Devil with unbelievable skill.

LAranger

New Love for Roy Keane.. on 03:30 - Sep 12 with 5860 viewsLoftgirl

New Love for Roy Keane.. on 00:48 - Sep 12 by timcocking

Indeed. Like him or not, he's a man of integrity who'll speak his mind. Have to respect anybody who has the balls to still try and be honest in this day and age, it is a rarity, not to mention illegal.

I wasn't a fan of Roy Keane until i read his book. He's just an old school geezer living in a time of gay selfies.

He said early on he wasn't even the best player in his youth team in Ireland, but just made sure nobody ever got past him. I liked that. He also said he's often considered a loaner; said that's bollox. He used to be at the club with the likes of Pallister, Bruce, Bryan Robson etc., they'd be down the pub getting pissed after every game. Suddenly he's playing with boring professionals, such as Beckham and the Nevilles, who'd no idea what a nightclub even was. He also said, in the really close games where you had to really dig in and fight, it was the men from pub who were the ones you could always rely on to give blood for the cause.

Good to hear he's a loaner. I could do with a cash advance.
(No subject) (n/t) on 06:31 - Sep 12 with 5764 views18StoneOfHoop

New Love for Roy Keane.. on 02:29 - Sep 12 by jtuck

Keane is a wild card but he gave the best performance I have ever seen by an away player at Loftus Road in his final days with Nottingham Forest in the early 90s. He was fabulous, a midfield Tasmanian Devil with unbelievable skill.

[Post edited 15 Sep 2019 11:42]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

New Love for Roy Keane.. on 06:42 - Sep 12 with 5742 viewsjohnhoop

Think we need to consult the Oracle on this and ask Brian McCarthy.
Login to get fewer ads

New Love for Roy Keane.. on 08:24 - Sep 12 with 5575 viewsPommyhoop

I'm confused tho...
When asked one word to describe Alec Fergusson he said the word that means a tree that doesn't have any roots.
Weird..

New Love for Roy Keane.. on 10:30 - Sep 12 with 5389 viewsLongsufferingR

New Love for Roy Keane.. on 08:24 - Sep 12 by Pommyhoop

I'm confused tho...
When asked one word to describe Alec Fergusson he said the word that means a tree that doesn't have any roots.
Weird..

Plank?
New Love for Roy Keane.. on 10:48 - Sep 12 with 5343 viewsPommyhoop

New Love for Roy Keane.. on 10:30 - Sep 12 by LongsufferingR

Plank?

Rootless

New Love for Roy Keane.. on 10:51 - Sep 12 with 5332 viewsstevec

New Love for Roy Keane.. on 02:29 - Sep 12 by jtuck

Yeah, completely forgot about that, thanks for the reminder.

Absolutely right, best performance you're ever likely to see from an away player.
New Love for Roy Keane.. on 10:52 - Sep 12 with 5333 viewsHantsR

I found this feature by Matthew Syed in The Times quite absorbing reading:

Roy Keane was right. The words might have been formed of molten lava, issuing from the mouth of the Irishman like an eruption of Mount Vesuvius, but they were apposite and overdue.

At a live event in Dublin last week, the former Manchester United captain criticised Sir Alex Ferguson. The 48-year-old pointed out that the Scot had seemingly used United to further his own ends. He argued that Ferguson’s success as a manager shouldn’t shield him from legitimate rebuke. He wasn’t wrong.

There is a curious but recognisable process where certain people become immune to criticism. High-profile cases include Mother Teresa, whose work in India turned her into a living saint. It took too long for journalists, such as the great Christopher Hitchens, to point out the defects in her medical programme, and that her opposition to contraception was contributing to poverty.

Ferguson exists in a very different context, but one cannot help noticing how the process of hagiography since his retirement has made it almost sinful to point out his defects. When Keane chronicled his indictment of his former manager, Gary Neville – appearing alongside him at the event – went almost rigid. This was football’s equivalent of farting in church.

This is problematic because Ferguson is a complex figure whose methods should be scrutinised, not least because it offers insights into dynamics today. We should remember that in his biography of Ferguson, Michael Crick alleges that he used his position as manager to pressure young players to sign for Jason, his son, then a football agent. In 2004, according to the BBC’s Panorama, six of United’s players were represented by Jason Ferguson’s company.

We should remember, too, that when Darren, Jason’s brother, became manager of Preston North End, Ferguson loaned the club Ritchie de Laet, Josh King and Matty James, three promising United players. The sense that this was not about furthering the development of these players but using United assets to help his own family was strengthened when they were withdrawn from Preston the day Darren was sacked. Tony Pulis, then Stoke City manager and a Ferguson acolyte, withdrew two other players from Preston on the same day.

Indeed, in January 2010, not long after Darren had been appointed Preston manager, Ferguson reportedly allowed the club to use the state-of-the-art facilities at Carrington on three occasions when the Preston training ground was covered with snow. Dozens of other incidents reveal the same pattern of a man acting as though United was his personal fiefdom, not least that Martin, his brother, was, for many years, United’s chief scout.

It wasn’t only the United board, though, that was serially unable to control the Scot; it was the FA too. Ferguson routinely refused to conduct post-match interviews in defiance of contractual obligations, and boycotted the BBC for many years because he didn’t like a particular broadcast. He banned journalists from press conferences, harangued and pressured referees, and alleged that the fixture compilers were involved in a conspiracy against his club.

His excesses as a man-manager are also skirted around. We can all have different opinions about the precise level of intimidation that is acceptable for a football coach to deploy, but we can surely agree that it is wrong to hurl a tray of teacups at a subordinate, smash into the wall (as Ferguson did to Gordon Strachan) or kick a boot at a player, leading to a gash above the eyebrow (as Ferguson did to David Beckham, albeit unintentionally), or to get involved in so many other confrontations.

Keane, left, with Ferguson at the Irishman’s testimonial in 2006
MATTHEW PETERS/MANCHESTER UNITED VIA GETTY IMAGES
We can surely agree, too, that it is sickening that under Ferguson’s watch in the 1990s, academy trainees were forced to undergo brutalising rituals by older players. United players have talked to me in harrowing detail of being placed in moving tumble dryers, stripped naked and having the United kit etched on to their naked bodies with wire brushes, and being forced to strip and perform simulated sex acts on a treatment table. In rare public acknowledgement of these shocking events, Neville wrote in the Mail on Sunday: “The coaches would see an apprentice running round the pitch in the freezing cold in nothing but his boots yet turn a blind eye.”

Ferguson was a hugely successful manager, to be sure, and has many positive qualities. Nobody is denying that, perhaps not even Keane. This column has often chronicled the ways in which he helped to elevate United, to motivate his players, and to create long-term success. But isn’t this the point? Success shouldn’t provide moral cover for behaviour that falls below acceptable standards, and neither should it shield individuals from criticism. “Successwashing” should always be resisted.

And this is why Keane’s contribution last week was powerful and legitimate. Even if it emerged from personal animus (and even if we acknowledge that Keane’s behaviour often leaves a lot to be desired), the words were fearlessly and trenchantly expressed. This is not about taking sides so much as recognising that it is through criticism and debate that we create and police moral boundaries and norms.

Ferguson often stepped beyond these boundaries with impunity. Only a fool (or a sycophant) would claim otherwise.
New Love for Roy Keane.. on 11:04 - Sep 12 with 5304 viewsPommyhoop

New Love for Roy Keane.. on 10:52 - Sep 12 by HantsR

I found this feature by Matthew Syed in The Times quite absorbing reading:

Roy Keane was right. The words might have been formed of molten lava, issuing from the mouth of the Irishman like an eruption of Mount Vesuvius, but they were apposite and overdue.

At a live event in Dublin last week, the former Manchester United captain criticised Sir Alex Ferguson. The 48-year-old pointed out that the Scot had seemingly used United to further his own ends. He argued that Ferguson’s success as a manager shouldn’t shield him from legitimate rebuke. He wasn’t wrong.

There is a curious but recognisable process where certain people become immune to criticism. High-profile cases include Mother Teresa, whose work in India turned her into a living saint. It took too long for journalists, such as the great Christopher Hitchens, to point out the defects in her medical programme, and that her opposition to contraception was contributing to poverty.

Ferguson exists in a very different context, but one cannot help noticing how the process of hagiography since his retirement has made it almost sinful to point out his defects. When Keane chronicled his indictment of his former manager, Gary Neville – appearing alongside him at the event – went almost rigid. This was football’s equivalent of farting in church.

This is problematic because Ferguson is a complex figure whose methods should be scrutinised, not least because it offers insights into dynamics today. We should remember that in his biography of Ferguson, Michael Crick alleges that he used his position as manager to pressure young players to sign for Jason, his son, then a football agent. In 2004, according to the BBC’s Panorama, six of United’s players were represented by Jason Ferguson’s company.

We should remember, too, that when Darren, Jason’s brother, became manager of Preston North End, Ferguson loaned the club Ritchie de Laet, Josh King and Matty James, three promising United players. The sense that this was not about furthering the development of these players but using United assets to help his own family was strengthened when they were withdrawn from Preston the day Darren was sacked. Tony Pulis, then Stoke City manager and a Ferguson acolyte, withdrew two other players from Preston on the same day.

Indeed, in January 2010, not long after Darren had been appointed Preston manager, Ferguson reportedly allowed the club to use the state-of-the-art facilities at Carrington on three occasions when the Preston training ground was covered with snow. Dozens of other incidents reveal the same pattern of a man acting as though United was his personal fiefdom, not least that Martin, his brother, was, for many years, United’s chief scout.

It wasn’t only the United board, though, that was serially unable to control the Scot; it was the FA too. Ferguson routinely refused to conduct post-match interviews in defiance of contractual obligations, and boycotted the BBC for many years because he didn’t like a particular broadcast. He banned journalists from press conferences, harangued and pressured referees, and alleged that the fixture compilers were involved in a conspiracy against his club.

His excesses as a man-manager are also skirted around. We can all have different opinions about the precise level of intimidation that is acceptable for a football coach to deploy, but we can surely agree that it is wrong to hurl a tray of teacups at a subordinate, smash into the wall (as Ferguson did to Gordon Strachan) or kick a boot at a player, leading to a gash above the eyebrow (as Ferguson did to David Beckham, albeit unintentionally), or to get involved in so many other confrontations.

MATTHEW PETERS/MANCHESTER UNITED VIA GETTY IMAGES
We can surely agree, too, that it is sickening that under Ferguson’s watch in the 1990s, academy trainees were forced to undergo brutalising rituals by older players. United players have talked to me in harrowing detail of being placed in moving tumble dryers, stripped naked and having the United kit etched on to their naked bodies with wire brushes, and being forced to strip and perform simulated sex acts on a treatment table. In rare public acknowledgement of these shocking events, Neville wrote in the Mail on Sunday: “The coaches would see an apprentice running round the pitch in the freezing cold in nothing but his boots yet turn a blind eye.”

Ferguson was a hugely successful manager, to be sure, and has many positive qualities. Nobody is denying that, perhaps not even Keane. This column has often chronicled the ways in which he helped to elevate United, to motivate his players, and to create long-term success. But isn’t this the point? Success shouldn’t provide moral cover for behaviour that falls below acceptable standards, and neither should it shield individuals from criticism. “Successwashing” should always be resisted.

And this is why Keane’s contribution last week was powerful and legitimate. Even if it emerged from personal animus (and even if we acknowledge that Keane’s behaviour often leaves a lot to be desired), the words were fearlessly and trenchantly expressed. This is not about taking sides so much as recognising that it is through criticism and debate that we create and police moral boundaries and norms.

Ferguson often stepped beyond these boundaries with impunity. Only a fool (or a sycophant) would claim otherwise.

Fair enuff but is he really like a tree without roots?

New Love for Roy Keane.. on 11:09 - Sep 12 with 5283 viewsdaveB

he did an interview with Neville last week which is on you tube, is long but worth a watch, he slaughters Ferguson and Jon Walters, a fascinating man, I met him through work once and he was a lot less scary than I expected

New Love for Roy Keane.. on 11:32 - Sep 12 with 5230 viewsDannyPaddox

Im also divided on Roy Keane. I admire his forthrightness especially in the context of the current era of absurd football decadence but the 2002 South Korea walk-out and the McCarthy spat still rankles.

I was back in Ireland shortly after that World Cup visiting relatives in Waterford, Wexford, and Cork and I was interested in what the opinion was on the big row especially as I was in and around his home town. For whatever reason I was expecting the sympathy to be with Keane but a lot of people were of the opinion he’d let his country down big time - and for Prima Donna reasons which doesn’t quite chime with his man of the people persona. There was a lot of respect for McCarthy for standing his ground.

The added irony was that without Keane Ireland played some of the best football they’ve ever played in a tournament. For all Keane’s experience, skill, and doggedness in the middle of the park his departure meant a huge weight had lifted from the rest of the team’s shoulders and the performances improved no end. On the other hand I know a few lads who follow Ireland home and away who’ve met him a few times, including very early on when he was with Forest. They say he was totally sound and his passion for the team was obvious.

Btw: If a Cork man describes someone as being rootless he probably means ruthless. It’s the accent.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 11:36]
New Love for Roy Keane.. on 12:02 - Sep 12 with 5162 viewsPommyhoop

Ah But did he really have to say it TREE times..

New Love for Roy Keane.. on 13:14 - Sep 12 with 5020 viewsTomS

New Love for Roy Keane.. on 08:24 - Sep 12 by Pommyhoop

I'm confused tho...
Weird..

I suspect the answer you're looking for is "log". In Ireland it is sometimes used as an alternative to turd.
New Love for Roy Keane.. on 13:37 - Sep 12 with 4958 viewsDannyPaddox

New Love for Roy Keane.. on 13:14 - Sep 12 by TomS

I suspect the answer you're looking for is "log". In Ireland it is sometimes used as an alternative to turd.

Ah yes the Captain’s Log.
New Love for Roy Keane.. on 13:47 - Sep 12 with 4937 viewsMick_S

Yuk.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

New Love for Roy Keane.. on 15:29 - Sep 12 with 4776 viewskensalriser

It can't be that difficult to grasp the concept that someone can be phenomenally good at something and also be badly flawed as a human being? Or like Keane, have a few screws loose.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

New Love for Roy Keane.. on 10:18 - Sep 13 with 4230 viewsPlanetHonneywood

New Love for Roy Keane.. on 15:29 - Sep 12 by kensalriser

It can't be that difficult to grasp the concept that someone can be phenomenally good at something and also be badly flawed as a human being? Or like Keane, have a few screws loose.

True enough!

But his assault and subsequent comments on the incident with Haaland and his conduct over the 2002 World Cup, makes me think it’s more a case of being a rotten prick as opposed to being loose a few screws.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

New Love for Roy Keane.. on 10:23 - Sep 13 with 4217 views2Thomas2Bowles

Vile Kunt

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

New Love for Roy Keane.. on 10:51 - Sep 13 with 4178 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Courtesy of Popbitch

Roy Keane drew a fair bit of flak after an appearance in Dublin last week where he savaged everyone from his former boss, Sir Alex Ferguson, to new Man Utd star, Harry Maguire. Many column inches and social posts were written up about what a sad, bitter man Keane must be — but some of his old teammates would beg to differ.

Former United striker Andrew Cole developed some kidney problems a few years ago and, in 2017, underwent a transplant. While he was recovering in hospital, Cole came round one day to find Roy Keane sitting by his bed. The pair had been teammates back in the 90s, but Keane and Cole hadn’t exactly been close in the years since — so Cole was a little surprised to see him.

Asked why he was there, Keane simply said that he was concerned about his old friend and wanted to make sure he was OK, impressing on him that if there was anything he needed — anything at all — he only had to ask.
New Love for Roy Keane.. on 13:33 - Sep 13 with 4030 viewsGRDHoops

New Love for Roy Keane.. on 11:09 - Sep 12 by daveB

he did an interview with Neville last week which is on you tube, is long but worth a watch, he slaughters Ferguson and Jon Walters, a fascinating man, I met him through work once and he was a lot less scary than I expected

Re: Jon Walters - have a listen to his reply about Keane on the Liquid Football podcast this week - I quite liked Walters as player & i think he'd have been a decent player at QPR ( didnt Warnock try to sign him from Ipswich but he choose Stoke/the PL instead?).

Keane's name pops up alot amongst ex-players - the Under the Cosh podcasts in particular - mostly about his managerial career. Some interesting stories about him - there is an episode with David Norris in particular who talks about Keane at Ipswich.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024