Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rugby World Cup Thread 09:31 - Sep 13 with 29986 viewsPlanetHonneywood

A week to go and aside of the annoying Tarquin ra-ra factor, looking forward to a tournament where ‘all’ the players won’t be rolling around feigning injury as if they were shot by a blunderbuss when they were hardly touched at all.

Kiwis to lose really, nothing revealing about that. But the fact they’re in the same pool as the Boks and neither would meet until the final, then assuming they both avoid defeat, makes it hard to look beyond an AB, Yarpies final. As the rest of us can be inconsistent and would likely have to beat both those behemoths to win it; hard to see anyone lifting the trophy.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:06 - Sep 13 with 8453 viewsPhildo

Quite fancy South Africa who look - ahem - very well prepared. Feels very open though this time.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:58 - Sep 13 with 8385 viewsSimonJames

I fancy the ABs to win, but given the right circumstances I think any of England, Ireland, Boks and as an outside bet the French could make it to the final.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Rugby World Cup Thread on 14:10 - Sep 13 with 8389 viewsEastR

Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:58 - Sep 13 by SimonJames

I fancy the ABs to win, but given the right circumstances I think any of England, Ireland, Boks and as an outside bet the French could make it to the final.

It's an outside bet that the French will make it out of their group

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Rugby World Cup Thread on 00:08 - Sep 14 with 8267 viewsKiwi76

Think we’ll come unstuck this time - conceding few too many penalties & yellow cards.
Hope winner gets title with tries vs kicks - few sides are able to convert 3pts from inside their own half.
More open than previous with 4-5 teams thinking they can win it.
NZ awaiting first game broadcast via streaming - telco has rights & don’t think network will cope.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:59 - Sep 16 with 8062 viewsToast_R

Not sure where the Boks are to be honest, they were poor a couple of years ago but have come good again. If they are to win they'll have to beat NZ on Saturday and win the poole.

England on their day are magnificent to watch but they can collapse at times with stupid basic errors. I reckon the heat will be an issue for the North so Im going for SA or NZ.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 23:48 - Sep 16 with 8035 viewsHitch

Can really only see ABs, SA, England or Ireland.
And would never go against the All Blacks of course.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 08:25 - Sep 17 with 7948 viewsBlackCrowe

Rugby World Cup Thread on 23:48 - Sep 16 by Hitch

Can really only see ABs, SA, England or Ireland.
And would never go against the All Blacks of course.

Think the tournament may have a come a year or two too late for Ireland and Wales. Wouldn't write off Australia though. And with a supporting cast of Argentina, Japan, France and Scotland it's got the makings of a great tournament.

I think England's A-game can beat anyone and everyone but worry that when things are not going their way, they haven't got a plan B.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Rugby World Cup Thread on 08:30 - Sep 17 with 7945 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I fancy an upset.

England!

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Login to get fewer ads

Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:09 - Sep 17 with 7908 viewsrobith

Can't believe SOuth Africa were 9/1 like 2 months ago and didn't back them. They look monstrous.

Suspect All Blacks have just been lulling us all into a false sense of security
Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:57 - Sep 17 with 7869 viewsisawqpratwcity

SA are certainly on the improve. Good timing, or have they left it a bit late? Can't wait to find out!

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:14 - Sep 17 with 7859 viewsSnipper

Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:57 - Sep 17 by isawqpratwcity

SA are certainly on the improve. Good timing, or have they left it a bit late? Can't wait to find out!

I take it that you’ll be cheering for any team that’s playing England ? 😜😜

If England play to their best when it comes to the knockout games, they’ll win. But anything less than their best, then they don’t.

I just hope it’s a great tournament.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:36 - Sep 17 with 7819 viewsToast_R

The Japanese seem to be going mad for it which is wonderful to see. England will play their opener at the Sapporo Dome. Pitty its not Eng v Argentina there again.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:42 - Sep 17 with 7817 viewsisawqpratwcity

Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:14 - Sep 17 by Snipper

I take it that you’ll be cheering for any team that’s playing England ? 😜😜

If England play to their best when it comes to the knockout games, they’ll win. But anything less than their best, then they don’t.

I just hope it’s a great tournament.

Now you're just jumping to conclusions.

But I do want the ABs to win.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:22 - Sep 17 with 7788 viewsGalileo

Agree it could be a year too late for Ireland.
Win the group and then face AB or SA in the quarters....never been beyond the quarters.

SA is a good bet.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:33 - Sep 17 with 7772 viewsSimonJames

Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:09 - Sep 17 by robith

Can't believe SOuth Africa were 9/1 like 2 months ago and didn't back them. They look monstrous.

Suspect All Blacks have just been lulling us all into a false sense of security

I'd be slightly concerned being in a SA World Cup winning team given how the 1995 team are expiring at quite a rate.

Rugby World Cup Thread on 16:01 - Sep 17 with 7723 viewsPhildo

Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:33 - Sep 17 by SimonJames

I'd be slightly concerned being in a SA World Cup winning team given how the 1995 team are expiring at quite a rate.

Lomu also gone from that final sadly
Rugby World Cup Thread on 17:31 - Sep 17 with 7670 viewsrobith

Rob Howley, in essence Wales' number 2 sent home for violation of rules on gambling
Rugby World Cup Thread on 17:35 - Sep 17 with 7661 viewsNewYorkRanger

What exactly do you mean by the Tarquin Ra Ra factor? That's such a tired old, untrue, cliche, You clearly haven't been to watch any rugby in the last 20 years.

Glory hunter, me

Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:26 - Sep 17 with 7571 viewsSimonJames

Rugby World Cup Thread on 17:31 - Sep 17 by robith

Rob Howley, in essence Wales' number 2 sent home for violation of rules on gambling

Oops!

Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:24 - Sep 18 with 7461 viewsToast_R

South African Heritage day on Saturday. Big community here in South West London. Esher Rugby club have let their club to the Braai Army for the All Blacks game. I'm going along with a Boks mate of mine, should be a good atmosphere.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:18 - Sep 19 with 7306 viewsrobith

Did a little tongue in cheek preview

https://thejackalist.wordpress.com/2019/09/19/the-alternative-world-cup-preview/
Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:32 - Sep 19 with 7301 viewsrobith

Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:24 - Sep 18 by Toast_R

South African Heritage day on Saturday. Big community here in South West London. Esher Rugby club have let their club to the Braai Army for the All Blacks game. I'm going along with a Boks mate of mine, should be a good atmosphere.

sounds like a touch mate. Should be a bloody good game too. Their meetings in the rugby championship this year were enormous
Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:47 - Sep 19 with 7283 viewsquickpassrotter

South Africa peaking at the right time. Ominous. I think that they will win it.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:32 - Sep 19 with 7251 viewsSimonJames

Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:18 - Sep 19 by robith

Did a little tongue in cheek preview

https://thejackalist.wordpress.com/2019/09/19/the-alternative-world-cup-preview/

I think the SRU shafted any chance Scotland had of shining in this WC by replacing Vern Cotter with clueless Gregor Townsend.

Rugby World Cup Thread on 08:54 - Sep 20 with 7187 viewsElHoop

It looks very difficult to predict. I think that injuries will play the biggest part in the destiny of the tournament - they have the capacity to overcome any preconceived ideas that i might have as to who might be best equipped to win the Cup sitting here today, now. And it's a game in which injuries can accumulate very rapidly.

England seem to be carrying injuries and whilst they might be best equipped to replace those already struggling and those who will end up doing so, there are too many negatives there already if you include our ability to self-destruct.

NZ seem very short in the betting for what they've done lately. Have the others caught up with them? Probably. Is the southern hemisphere a bit bang average at the moment? Less probable but possible. I'm not sure that I particularly fancy any of them at their current odds.

Ireland just never do it in World Cups, ever. They look to be in decline too.
Scotland, one of my picks last time and somewhat unlucky then, they look to have deteriorated instead of making the necessary improvement.
France might susprise as it's the one time of year for them to get together for a few months and presumably get fitter and better organised. Perhaps. It's a tough group with England and Argentina and the injury count might hit all three of those teams as a result. So I can't have France either although they'll always worry me in an important one-off game.

So that leaves Wales - by process of elimination Wales will win. They have the best captain and probably the best coach. Injuries will no doubt kill them in the end though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024