Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rugby World Cup Thread 09:31 - Sep 13 with 30166 viewsPlanetHonneywood

A week to go and aside of the annoying Tarquin ra-ra factor, looking forward to a tournament where ‘all’ the players won’t be rolling around feigning injury as if they were shot by a blunderbuss when they were hardly touched at all.

Kiwis to lose really, nothing revealing about that. But the fact they’re in the same pool as the Boks and neither would meet until the final, then assuming they both avoid defeat, makes it hard to look beyond an AB, Yarpies final. As the rest of us can be inconsistent and would likely have to beat both those behemoths to win it; hard to see anyone lifting the trophy.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:23 - Sep 29 with 2359 viewsozexile

Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:08 - Sep 29 by Dixie_CT

Built on an incredible defence which I think was born out of what happened to Wales v Australia at the last WC when Auz defended against 40 odd phases!!

Players like Navidi, Adams and Gareth Davies getting stronger. All is looking good but still vulnerable to being overwhelmed by the Southern Hemisphere teams.

Top game and top result

It was a good game. But nearly 4 mins on a scrum in the 70th minute is a bit much. I don't know how you change it but it should be looked at.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:32 - Sep 29 with 2295 viewsisawqpratwcity

Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:23 - Sep 29 by ozexile

It was a good game. But nearly 4 mins on a scrum in the 70th minute is a bit much. I don't know how you change it but it should be looked at.

I thought the refs were a bit pedantic, too.

Overall, though, a fair result.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:41 - Sep 29 with 2291 viewsSnipper

Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:32 - Sep 29 by isawqpratwcity

I thought the refs were a bit pedantic, too.

Overall, though, a fair result.

It’s looking like an England v Australia quarter final.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:59 - Sep 29 with 2281 viewsElHoop

Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:41 - Sep 29 by Snipper

It’s looking like an England v Australia quarter final.

Which probably means that it'll end up being England v Wales and France v Australia!
Rugby World Cup Thread on 08:58 - Sep 30 with 2162 viewsToast_R

Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:59 - Sep 29 by ElHoop

Which probably means that it'll end up being England v Wales and France v Australia!

Lets not get too cocky. France can all of a sudden turn it on with their Champagne style.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:12 - Sep 30 with 2156 viewsrobith

Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:13 - Sep 28 by toboboly

Spoke too soon! Ireland terrible!

I didn't think we were terrible, Japan were just much better than us
Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:39 - Sep 30 with 2141 viewsElHoop

Rugby World Cup Thread on 08:58 - Sep 30 by Toast_R

Lets not get too cocky. France can all of a sudden turn it on with their Champagne style.

Well that's what I meant in fact. Or maybe England can turn it off - if we manage to beat Argentina then the cost of beating France could be higher than the benefit from avoiding Wales. Argentina would already be out. Wouldn't we be likely to get the easier semi final if we were second in the group? The Southgate dilemma perhaps?
Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:23 - Sep 30 with 2124 viewsrobith

Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:39 - Sep 30 by ElHoop

Well that's what I meant in fact. Or maybe England can turn it off - if we manage to beat Argentina then the cost of beating France could be higher than the benefit from avoiding Wales. Argentina would already be out. Wouldn't we be likely to get the easier semi final if we were second in the group? The Southgate dilemma perhaps?

England have clearly been holidng back Da Moves in their games so far. They will win the group comfortably and mince Australia
Login to get fewer ads

Rugby World Cup Thread on 23:15 - Oct 1 with 2003 viewsSimonJames

I'd sooner play the Aussies in a QF.

...main reason being that if we lose to Wales we'll never hear the end of it
and if we win, there will be all the usual bollocks from Welsh fans about how we couldn't win without foreign born players and they will conveniently overlook the fact that they have 7 Englishmen and a Kiwi in their side - and if Anscombe and Faletau weren't injured they'd have another Kiwi and a Tongan.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 23:26]

100% of people who drink water will die.

Rugby World Cup Thread on 01:28 - Oct 2 with 1980 viewsSydneyRs

The Aussies basically need to score 30+ to win a game because they consistently concede so many points against the better teams. They've regularly shipped 30 or more over the last few years yet Cheika retains his job and they constantly convince themselves that they are actually the best team in the world and only ever a couple of minor tweaks away from being untouchable.

Put a decent defence in front of them and it should be enough.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 06:52 - Oct 2 with 1933 viewsozranger

Rugby World Cup Thread on 01:28 - Oct 2 by SydneyRs

The Aussies basically need to score 30+ to win a game because they consistently concede so many points against the better teams. They've regularly shipped 30 or more over the last few years yet Cheika retains his job and they constantly convince themselves that they are actually the best team in the world and only ever a couple of minor tweaks away from being untouchable.

Put a decent defence in front of them and it should be enough.

Actually did a check on his record. It is 32-29 with two draws and one Rugby Championship win. However, certain favourable draws led to that. The ARU's decision to keep Cheika on may just come back to bite them and we may see a bit of a clean out of at ARU HQ after this WC if the Aussies don't get past the QFs. I'd be concerned about Georgia. Watched their humbling of Samoa (and what a mess that proud rugby nation is now) and they could pose a real problem for the Aussies.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 08:59 - Oct 2 with 1893 viewsElHoop

Rugby World Cup Thread on 23:15 - Oct 1 by SimonJames

I'd sooner play the Aussies in a QF.

...main reason being that if we lose to Wales we'll never hear the end of it
and if we win, there will be all the usual bollocks from Welsh fans about how we couldn't win without foreign born players and they will conveniently overlook the fact that they have 7 Englishmen and a Kiwi in their side - and if Anscombe and Faletau weren't injured they'd have another Kiwi and a Tongan.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 23:26]

For me the only objective of a World Cup is to win it. What some country that has never won it thinks about beating us in the early rounds doesn't have any relevance for me. I don't think that we'll win it anyway, as the group is quite tough in physical terms and we'll probably end up with the toughest possible route to the final. We've also got a big but fairly thick looking team, led by a chippy captain and coached by a chippy coach. There are not many 'leaders', not much evidence of 'TCUP' or much original thought, but hopefully I'm massively wrong about all of that. I'd just prefer to avoid New Zealand in the semi-final if we have any ability to choose - I'll take whatever else comes our way.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:54 - Oct 2 with 1879 viewsToast_R

France were rank for 66 minutes today and were almost looking down the barrel at one point. You just never know with them , they can play like that one match and then all od a sudden beat the All Blacks.

Got to love working from home...

[Post edited 2 Oct 2019 10:56]
Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:23 - Oct 3 with 1795 viewsElHoop

Russia were game if not very good.

From RugbyWorldCup.com:

HEROIC EFFORT

Russia made 182 tackles, they carried for 154 metres.

No team in this World Cup, maybe no team in any World Cup, has made more tackles than metres.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:45 - Oct 3 with 1770 viewsisawqpratwcity

Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:23 - Oct 3 by ElHoop

Russia were game if not very good.

From RugbyWorldCup.com:

HEROIC EFFORT

Russia made 182 tackles, they carried for 154 metres.

No team in this World Cup, maybe no team in any World Cup, has made more tackles than metres.

That's why it took a while for Japan to know what hit them.

Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:45 - Oct 3 with 1726 viewsElHoop

Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:45 - Oct 3 by isawqpratwcity

That's why it took a while for Japan to know what hit them.

Probably why Russia were pretty poor against Samoa in a quick turnaround game - Samoa hadn't played at all before that game. The ball was on the other foot today - Ireland had quick turnaround and Russia were fresher.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:18 - Oct 3 with 1707 viewsisawqpratwcity

Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:45 - Oct 3 by ElHoop

Probably why Russia were pretty poor against Samoa in a quick turnaround game - Samoa hadn't played at all before that game. The ball was on the other foot today - Ireland had quick turnaround and Russia were fresher.

I cannot explain how Russia beat Ireland at all. The gap between the two sides in terms of skills, training and experience is too wide. It just should not have happened.

[Edit} Sorry, "how Japan beat Ireland".
[Post edited 3 Oct 2019 23:17]

Rugby World Cup Thread on 00:25 - Oct 4 with 1675 viewstimcocking

I just love watching Fiji.

They should make everybody play like Fiji. What a brilliant sport it would be then. I'd love to see what a Fiji given all their players back and decent coaching and facilities etc could actually do.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:58 - Oct 4 with 1622 viewsrobith

Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:18 - Oct 3 by isawqpratwcity

I cannot explain how Russia beat Ireland at all. The gap between the two sides in terms of skills, training and experience is too wide. It just should not have happened.

I think you're doing Japan a massive disservice there, after all, at the end of the game Ireland were ranked 4th in the world and Japan 8th

They have thrown everything at this world cup. Their coach pulled his players from the Sunwolves in order that they could have almost 200 training sessions pre world cup
Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:22 - Oct 4 with 1588 viewsisawqpratwcity

Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:58 - Oct 4 by robith

I think you're doing Japan a massive disservice there, after all, at the end of the game Ireland were ranked 4th in the world and Japan 8th

They have thrown everything at this world cup. Their coach pulled his players from the Sunwolves in order that they could have almost 200 training sessions pre world cup

Why cite the rankings from after the game?

It's all right. I get it. It hurts.

Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:31 - Oct 4 with 1575 viewstimcocking

Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:18 - Oct 3 by isawqpratwcity

Well, playing 15 foreigners from South Africa and New Zealand in their squad might have had an impact. That and complacency i'd imagine.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 15:21 - Oct 4 with 1547 viewsrobith

Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:22 - Oct 4 by isawqpratwcity

Why cite the rankings from after the game?

It's all right. I get it. It hurts.

Ok, pre-game they were 3rd and 9th. Ireland should've won no doubt, but this isn't Japan of 4 years ago and it's pretty reductive view to suggest that tbh.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 15:35 - Oct 4 with 1533 viewsToast_R

Bokke and All Blacks through nice and easy really.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 16:36 - Oct 4 with 1519 viewsElHoop

Rugby World Cup Thread on 15:35 - Oct 4 by Toast_R

Bokke and All Blacks through nice and easy really.

Well it might not have been quite so easy for SA if Italy hadn't run out of forwards and if the remaining ones hadn't then tried to use a bok as some sort of fracking tool.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:50 - Oct 5 with 1467 viewstimcocking

Argentina are wearing the best possible QPR kit. We've never had one that...perfect.

The cut, the length, the fit, the socks. Fcuk that's beautiful. A lighter blue, but ifs Tony, this is what you should have. Let's exploit the world's best kit. Home and fcuking away.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2019 9:51]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024