Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Love this manager. 04:47 - Oct 20 with 5824 viewsPommyhoop

Q Went you went 1 0 down did you not believe it.
A. We had to believe it because we were sloppy.
No bullsh!t
LOVE IT.!

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/warburton-on-hull-victory-and-ebere-eze/
[Post edited 20 Oct 2019 4:48]

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Love this manager. on 08:59 - Oct 20 with 4474 viewstimcocking

Me too.
Love this manager. on 09:02 - Oct 20 with 4464 viewsPinnerPaul

Exactly - I've said it before and I'll say it again, that Nick London is an idiot.

MB also told him that yes we had lots of possession but at that time we weren't doing enough with it and our game intensity wasn't good enough.
Love this manager. on 09:08 - Oct 20 with 4420 viewstimcocking

Love this manager. on 09:02 - Oct 20 by PinnerPaul

Exactly - I've said it before and I'll say it again, that Nick London is an idiot.

MB also told him that yes we had lots of possession but at that time we weren't doing enough with it and our game intensity wasn't good enough.

His first question on the interview with Warburton...'Are we particularly set up to do well away from home?'

Can anybody think of a more absurd football question than that? Shows a distinct lack of knowledge about the sport. I don't even know what the Hell it means.
Love this manager. on 09:35 - Oct 20 with 4346 viewssmegma

Love this manager. on 09:08 - Oct 20 by timcocking

His first question on the interview with Warburton...'Are we particularly set up to do well away from home?'

Can anybody think of a more absurd football question than that? Shows a distinct lack of knowledge about the sport. I don't even know what the Hell it means.

Especially since we've won more away games than home.
Love this manager. on 09:54 - Oct 20 with 4281 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Love this manager. on 09:35 - Oct 20 by smegma

Especially since we've won more away games than home.

Exactly, Smeg.

I like Nick London a lot and us overseas fans are blessed with him and Sinton.

London may be overenthusiastic on occasions but I'd prefer that to the mundane dross that we've been forced to listen to down the decades. I think he's funny, wholehearted and knowledgeable and - the important bit - him and Sinton clearly get on well.

Yes, he interrupts Sinton sometimes, yes he's biased and yes his pronunciation of players' names can be erratic, but I find all that amusing rather than annoying.

Yesterday, I don't think we were as good in the first half as London did. 1-1 seemed to be fair at half-time, so his first question was a bit over-eager perhaps. But I see nothing wrong with the first: our league results are better away than at home at the moment so a question as to why seems logical to me.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Love this manager. on 10:22 - Oct 20 with 4195 viewsPinnerPaul

Love this manager. on 09:54 - Oct 20 by BrianMcCarthy

Exactly, Smeg.

I like Nick London a lot and us overseas fans are blessed with him and Sinton.

London may be overenthusiastic on occasions but I'd prefer that to the mundane dross that we've been forced to listen to down the decades. I think he's funny, wholehearted and knowledgeable and - the important bit - him and Sinton clearly get on well.

Yes, he interrupts Sinton sometimes, yes he's biased and yes his pronunciation of players' names can be erratic, but I find all that amusing rather than annoying.

Yesterday, I don't think we were as good in the first half as London did. 1-1 seemed to be fair at half-time, so his first question was a bit over-eager perhaps. But I see nothing wrong with the first: our league results are better away than at home at the moment so a question as to why seems logical to me.

Like with all commentators/presenters its very subjective.

I like the enthusiasm and looking at it from a QPR perspective - the EFL highlights comms are very bland in comparison - but he's knowledge of the laws is poor and outdated and his calls for yellows for oppo while allowing identical challenges from QPR players to go unnoticed verges on the embarrassing at times.

I do think the question about set up away from home didn't make sense - it was same team/set up as v Blackburn with very nearly the same result.
Love this manager. on 10:27 - Oct 20 with 4185 viewsAntti_Heinola

Totally agree about MB. It's been a superb appointment. Haven't been this happy with a manager since GF first time around.

But let's cut Nick some slack. Comments like this make me laugh, and I'd expect better from someone who is at pains to defend refs from stupid comments at all times. People think doing interviews is easy, just as people think Gary Lineker's job is easy. This comes from absolute ignorance about just how tough it is. With interviews, you might get 30 secs before a game to get a good quote, or you might get 3 or 4 mins after. Your job is not to ask some incredibly perceptive question - it's to ask something reasonably vague to get an answer that is not just 'yes' or 'no'. People sneer when an interviewer says after a 3-0 defeat: 'tough day at the office, mark?', but that is really what they have to do - they are just there to get the manager to give their views, to open the (one-sided!) conversation.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask if our style suits playing away - ie, teams at home tend to be on the front foot, but our quick breaking style may be 'set up' to take advantage of teams committing players forward. I don'tthink there's anything wrong with that question. Nick may be a bit earnest at times but it's a tough job and the fact is MW's interviews are interesting, so he must be doing something right.

Also, things must be going well if we're complaining about things like interview style and the type of stats TV uses (by the way, if you don't like 'em, or don't understand their use, just ignore 'em. What the fk is the problem? Some people find them interesting and are even able to use them to good effect. Why deny those people the things they find interesting?)

Bare bones.

Love this manager. on 10:43 - Oct 20 with 4134 viewsCamberleyR

Who's MB??

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Login to get fewer ads

Love this manager. on 10:46 - Oct 20 with 4116 viewsAntti_Heinola

Love this manager. on 10:43 - Oct 20 by CamberleyR

Who's MB??

i meant MW ;)
I see the War as a middle name ; Mark 'War' Burton.
ahem.

Bare bones.

Love this manager. on 10:48 - Oct 20 with 4112 viewsCiderwithRsie

It's a shame that, now we have a straight-talking manager who has some interesting things to say, the interviewer can only come up with crawly drivel.

There's no need for nastines or rudeness but several people on here could ask more interesting questions and I reckon MB would be only too happy to answer.
Love this manager. on 10:50 - Oct 20 with 4105 viewsted_hendrix

Beat the fakes Tuesday night that's all i'm asking at the moment, Bidwell's penalty miss could and should have relegated them had it gone in.
I despise the fakes with a passion.
Just beat the bastards please.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Love this manager. on 10:50 - Oct 20 with 4102 viewstimcocking

After all, who's going to set a team up to not do well, whether home or away? Could you say 'no, i've set the team up to be crap away...'
Love this manager. on 10:54 - Oct 20 with 4094 viewsPinnerPaul

Love this manager. on 10:27 - Oct 20 by Antti_Heinola

Totally agree about MB. It's been a superb appointment. Haven't been this happy with a manager since GF first time around.

But let's cut Nick some slack. Comments like this make me laugh, and I'd expect better from someone who is at pains to defend refs from stupid comments at all times. People think doing interviews is easy, just as people think Gary Lineker's job is easy. This comes from absolute ignorance about just how tough it is. With interviews, you might get 30 secs before a game to get a good quote, or you might get 3 or 4 mins after. Your job is not to ask some incredibly perceptive question - it's to ask something reasonably vague to get an answer that is not just 'yes' or 'no'. People sneer when an interviewer says after a 3-0 defeat: 'tough day at the office, mark?', but that is really what they have to do - they are just there to get the manager to give their views, to open the (one-sided!) conversation.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask if our style suits playing away - ie, teams at home tend to be on the front foot, but our quick breaking style may be 'set up' to take advantage of teams committing players forward. I don'tthink there's anything wrong with that question. Nick may be a bit earnest at times but it's a tough job and the fact is MW's interviews are interesting, so he must be doing something right.

Also, things must be going well if we're complaining about things like interview style and the type of stats TV uses (by the way, if you don't like 'em, or don't understand their use, just ignore 'em. What the fk is the problem? Some people find them interesting and are even able to use them to good effect. Why deny those people the things they find interesting?)

1) Just because things are going well, it means we can't criticise ANYTHING else?
2) I worked for ITV Sport for 38 years so well aware TV isn't 'easy'
3) Like with stats and as I said above, its just a subjective opinion - what this board is all about surely?
4) There DOES have to be some common sense to the questions. Our own Brian Mc said on the match thread it was a nonsense to suggest it was some sort of massive injustice that Hull had taken the lead
5) All of the above still means I'm absolutely LOVING the season so far
Love this manager. on 10:58 - Oct 20 with 4080 viewsPinnerPaul

Love this manager. on 10:48 - Oct 20 by CiderwithRsie

It's a shame that, now we have a straight-talking manager who has some interesting things to say, the interviewer can only come up with crawly drivel.

There's no need for nastines or rudeness but several people on here could ask more interesting questions and I reckon MB would be only too happy to answer.

Exactly.

The guy from the club's PR department's interviews pre match are much better.

Yes the questions are hardly 'challenging' but equally they are not inane or nonsensical either.

Several times this season you can see that MW has been irritated/perplexed by Mr London's questions.
Love this manager. on 11:10 - Oct 20 with 4037 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Love this manager. on 10:22 - Oct 20 by PinnerPaul

Like with all commentators/presenters its very subjective.

I like the enthusiasm and looking at it from a QPR perspective - the EFL highlights comms are very bland in comparison - but he's knowledge of the laws is poor and outdated and his calls for yellows for oppo while allowing identical challenges from QPR players to go unnoticed verges on the embarrassing at times.

I do think the question about set up away from home didn't make sense - it was same team/set up as v Blackburn with very nearly the same result.

To be fair, I'm not sure I'm that up on the new laws either, so that part of his comms probably sails over my head but I can see how it would grate with you absolutely.

I think you're right about our set-up not being specifically designed for away games, but I just thought that it was an ok question and it gets debate going. Yesterday, Hull played like the away team, I thought, with a defensive 4-5-1 that quickly turned into 4-3-3 when they broke.

Love this manager. on 11:12 - Oct 20 with 4025 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Some good points re interviews, Antti.

Love this manager. on 11:16 - Oct 20 with 4005 viewsWatfordR

Love this manager. on 10:50 - Oct 20 by timcocking

After all, who's going to set a team up to not do well, whether home or away? Could you say 'no, i've set the team up to be crap away...'

Four words:

Harry Redknapp, bonus games
Love this manager. on 11:16 - Oct 20 with 4005 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Love this manager. on 10:54 - Oct 20 by PinnerPaul

1) Just because things are going well, it means we can't criticise ANYTHING else?
3) Like with stats and as I said above, its just a subjective opinion - what this board is all about surely?
4) There DOES have to be some common sense to the questions. Our own Brian Mc said on the match thread it was a nonsense to suggest it was some sort of massive injustice that Hull had taken the lead

Agree with 5 especially!

On point 4, I still think that's where Nick London could improve - he could maybe tone down the Rangers-centric stuff. I watched the offish highlights this morning and I still think 1-1 at half-time was about right. Second half was certainly ours.

Love this manager. on 13:23 - Oct 20 with 3793 viewsAntti_Heinola

Love this manager. on 10:54 - Oct 20 by PinnerPaul

All fair enough.

'Nick London is an idiot' is still, regardless of your points, unnecessary and unfair - and not very nice. Particularluy, as I say, for someone who will (admirably) defend some pretty incredible decisions by officials sometimes. If you worked for ITV Sport for 38 years, if anything that makes your rudeness even worse - you know how tough it is, so why get personal? Why not be constructive? This isn't someone working for a national broadcaster, even, and ITV has employed some pretty... 'interesting' on screen talent over the years that are no better or worse than him.

Sorry, mate, them's me views. Your first point is a wonderful strawman though.

I think I explained pretty clearly (and i think it was pretty obvious) that there was common sense behind the question about playing away, and if it's Nick's opinion we were unfortunate to be behind, as club commentator, he's allowed to express that opinion too, is he not?

I am also loving this season.

Bare bones.

Love this manager. on 13:41 - Oct 20 with 3751 views2Thomas2Bowles

If only he could get us to defend a lot better, we might be a goodish side innit.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Love this manager. on 14:38 - Oct 20 with 3673 viewstimcocking

You don't think there's anything wrong with that question? And 'This comes from absolute ignorance about just how tough it is.'

Good God, whatever next. You're trying too hard.

Question should have been 'Mark, outstanding today, give us your thoughts please?'. Took me 1 second to think of that.

Not slating him, it's hardly a crime, but that question...i was cringing, and impressed with Warburton's composure managing to keep a straight face. Can you imagine what Bill Bellicheck or Brian Clough would have said in response? Short shrift i'll warrant.

Ps Can't not be honest, his 1st question to Eze 'How much better than that can you play? You were unplayable today..." is also bloody weird, whatever you say Antii i'm afraid. I've no problem with him, just makes me laugh inadvertently sometimes. I mean, they are funny questions.

Pps If it was up to me, they'd have Clive doing the commentary. If they let Clive do it and swear, we'd soon be the most watched team in Britain. Stick us on Netflix.

Ppps Having reread my first post, it did seem a bit harsher sounding than i meant. When you write things down, the tone can be misinterpreted so easily. Sorry Nick, didn't mean to be mean.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2019 15:29]
Love this manager. on 15:17 - Oct 20 with 3609 viewsNorthantsHoop

Impressed by the way he makes changes during games and for me the pivotal example of this was the Wigan home game when 1-0 down swapped it around got Leistner in defence and Wells and Hugill up front, our season took off from that game. Best manager we have had for years, fits the club and he has a good support team around him.
Love this manager. on 17:55 - Oct 20 with 3393 viewsconnell10

Blimey if all we got to moan about is Mr London at the moment then the bread man is doing well! Im loving this season and as ive said before i urge any fan who can get down to H.Q then do it , you will love it!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Love this manager. on 21:59 - Oct 20 with 3132 viewsjtuck

Nick London is an excellent commentator who approaches his work with zest and is a good listen for fans who live thousands of miles away from Loftus Road and have to rely on the stream. Also, he is Rangers through and through. But he is not a good interviewer and it does not mean you are some sort of traitor to the cause to say so. This has been a long-running problem with the interviews with Holloway and McLaren often awkward as well. I also disagree entirely with the point that managers don't tell you anything anyway, so your role is just to tee them up with 'how was it for you' non questions. Something specific is always nice. Like 'why did Eze take the penalties when Manning took our last one'? Or, more general, 'why are we leaking so many goals'?

LAranger

Love this manager. on 22:25 - Oct 20 with 3086 viewsPinnerPaul

Love this manager. on 13:23 - Oct 20 by Antti_Heinola

All fair enough.

'Nick London is an idiot' is still, regardless of your points, unnecessary and unfair - and not very nice. Particularluy, as I say, for someone who will (admirably) defend some pretty incredible decisions by officials sometimes. If you worked for ITV Sport for 38 years, if anything that makes your rudeness even worse - you know how tough it is, so why get personal? Why not be constructive? This isn't someone working for a national broadcaster, even, and ITV has employed some pretty... 'interesting' on screen talent over the years that are no better or worse than him.

Sorry, mate, them's me views. Your first point is a wonderful strawman though.

I think I explained pretty clearly (and i think it was pretty obvious) that there was common sense behind the question about playing away, and if it's Nick's opinion we were unfortunate to be behind, as club commentator, he's allowed to express that opinion too, is he not?

I am also loving this season.

I accept AH 'idiot' was a little strong - but lets hope you're equally scathing of the insults aimed at match officials on here - they tend to be just a TAD stronger than that!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024