Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Giving a coating, getting a coating, coated! 15:53 - Oct 21 with 2226 viewskropotkin41

I first came across this phrase meaning to have a go or tear a strip off someone, or give them a piece of your mind on this beloved forum of ours some years ago, and proceeded to get a bit of a coating when I asked about the phrase: "where did you grow up?" etc etc.

Now, admittedly I grew up in Aylesbury, where we never used the word coating like this, and, with other lads whose dads were from London, used to come to matches via Marylebone, but even when I lived in West London for a few years, years later, I never heard of anyone getting a coating.

Recently I've had the odd drink with a bloke who grew up in Shepherd's Bush and went to school just near HQ, he's in his 60s and had no idea what it meant.

Here's the interesting bit, and I hope you'll forgive the preamble: it seems it's Midland's slang! So here was the mystery: how did to get a coating end up being known by some at least as West London dialect? A friend of mine from Hounslow reckons it might be the canals, a connection from West London to the Midlands by waterway and shovel, I suppose. It could equally be that very Metropolitan Line that I used to come to Loftus Road by when I was a kid.

Any other theories? I love the phrase and would love to know what it meant originally.

Anyway, turns out we're Brummies in disguise!

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Giving a coating, getting a coating, coated! on 15:59 - Oct 21 with 2204 viewsMetallica_Hoop

A girl I was speaking too once said 'she was coating me off' I assumed it was slagging her off. (that's another, possibly from the steel industry?)

Could it be from giving a coat of verbal paint?

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Giving a coating, getting a coating, coated! on 16:01 - Oct 21 with 2197 viewskropotkin41

Giving a coating, getting a coating, coated! on 15:59 - Oct 21 by Metallica_Hoop

A girl I was speaking too once said 'she was coating me off' I assumed it was slagging her off. (that's another, possibly from the steel industry?)

Could it be from giving a coat of verbal paint?

Yeah, definitely got an industrial feel to it, which also fits with Birmingham.

Giving a coating, getting a coating, coated! on 16:14 - Oct 21 with 2150 viewshopphoops

You really need to give them a good sanding down and an undercoating first.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Giving a coating, getting a coating, coated! on 02:58 - Oct 22 with 2004 viewsBoston

You’ve been mulling this over for five years. Crickey Kropotkin, what are you like when it comes to a grudge!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Giving a coating, getting a coating, coated! on 03:12 - Oct 22 with 1997 viewsFredManRave

Does this change the definition of "I'll get me coat" as in maybe it's actually a threat, they're gonna get their coat to be able to dish out said coating.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Giving a coating, getting a coating, coated! on 15:56 - Oct 22 with 1853 viewskropotkin41

Giving a coating, getting a coating, coated! on 02:58 - Oct 22 by Boston

You’ve been mulling this over for five years. Crickey Kropotkin, what are you like when it comes to a grudge!

Has it been 5 years? Blimey! Well, not so much a grudge as an irritation wrapped up in an interest in language.

It's also a testimony to how important this bloomin' forum is and has been in my life for so long. A good part of my brain lives in a virtual village inhabited by all sorts of weirdos brought together only by a love of QPR FC. Marvelous and very odd if you think about it for too long.

Giving a coating, getting a coating, coated! on 17:14 - Oct 22 with 1820 viewsDavieQPR

I've heard of this expression and I am originally from Paddington. Always thought it came from Tarring and Feathering. As in give him a coat of tar.
Giving a coating, getting a coating, coated! on 17:39 - Oct 22 with 1807 viewsoldmisery

Giving a coating, getting a coating, coated! on 17:14 - Oct 22 by DavieQPR

I've heard of this expression and I am originally from Paddington. Always thought it came from Tarring and Feathering. As in give him a coat of tar.

I was always lead to believe it referred to a coating of tar and feathers.

And if anyone disagrees with me they will face a right shellacking and a terrific pasting.
Login to get fewer ads

Giving a coating, getting a coating, coated! on 17:59 - Oct 22 with 1788 viewsDiscodroids

Despite being a born and bred Eastender, i've never, ever  come across anyone using the term being 'coated off' unless it's in the script in one of those endless Pate Tate and Tony Tucker films with Craig Fairbrass in them, all wrirtten by Islington chief sitting bull hipsters who took a personalised tuck box to Prep school and are now working in the media, dressed  in a john wayne Gacey's Lumberjack shirt sporting a Sir John Franklin Beard waxed with lead farrow and ball Paint.

The Use of 'My son' Gets on my f ucking tits though, Nothing more aggy than being called 'Son' by some Mockney c unt whose 2o years younger than you and would who woud shit his colon clean through his Carharrt jeans in Terror if he had to walk through Queens road Market in upton park.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2019 18:02]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024